Scavver's Paradise V1.8 - A Survival Horror Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

WEAPON LIMITER SYSTEM: What do you think would work best?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:00 am

1) Two weapons per weapon category (As it currently is)
28%
2) Remove weapon categories and limit players to X number of any weapons regardless of size or type?
8%
3) A pseudo-weight system where weapons take up X amount of space depending on weapon size. Pistols take up little space, but rifles and launchers take up a lot more space, etc.
64%

Total votes : 36

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.6 - A Survival Horror Mod

Postby CaptainNurbles » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:55 am

Spoiler: Lengthy, innit?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by CaptainNurbles on Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainNurbles

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby CaptainNurbles » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:17 pm

A quick fix has been released! Just a few fixes for some bugbears, notably the broken automap and the barrel shrapnel issue, with a few niceties tacked on as well. Won't break your saves if updating from 1.5 to 1.6.

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 30/1/21)

Changelog:
Spoiler:
CaptainNurbles

Postby Abba Zabba » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:29 pm

Spoiler: wall o' text
Abba Zabba

Postby CaptainNurbles » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:37 am

Abba Zabba wrote:(and I'm assuming all the writing of the logs is done by just yourself, I love these logs and would encourage you to write more in the future, especially now that they're guaranteed to give you something new per pickup.)[/quote[

100% mine. I don't consider myself much a writer, though I do have fun doing up short bits of prose like what's in the mod. I'd love to add more to help flesh the world out a bit more! But I also want to avoid adding text logs that tell similar things, I want each one to be unique and to feel like a bunch of pieces to the same story, rather than just the same pieces as one another, if that makes sense. I'd also be willing to take in guest writings for extra logs to be found, though I'd be a bit strict with those to make sure that they're consistent with the lore I've got in me head, while also being vague enough to work with mostly any map set you pick, and of course make sure that they're quick bite sized logs that can be read in the brief moments between firefights.

Abba Zabba wrote:Good change, they're a bit of a pushover even for a 'high' tier zombieman spawn. Do they have a chance of a failed rimfire crimp on hammer drop, like the player?

I actually never considered that! I might just add that in.

Abba Zabba wrote:This also reminded me that the female ZK-172 zombie never uses her underslung shotgun at close range, maybe add it in the future? Would have the added benefit of potentially being nastier than a few round burst, depending on your armor situation, but at the same time, could be weaker than the burst.

With her I plan on:

Long range, single shot rifle attack that's highly accurate.

Medium-long range spray and pray, highly inaccurate, but a torrential storm of lead to suppress the player and keep them behind cover. This is a maybe since I'd imagine it'd be more help to the player from infighting.

Medium-close range burst attack similar to what she's got now, moderate accuracy.

Close range shotgun attack.

If player is WAY too close, like a few feet apart, backpedal to get some space.

I plan on a similar convention for most other gunners, giving them a bit more anti-player strategy than just "occasionally shoot."

By the way, it took me this long to realize that the explosives need some major balancing out. 40mm grenades deal almost 500 damage at most (including splash damage), much stronger than vanilla rockets, and have a wide blast radius and tons of shrapnel. 20mm rocklets from the cannon dish out 300+ damage per hit if splash is included, and 84mm rockets can deal over a thousand damage per shot if luck is on your side. Would you folks say I should lower explosive damage some?
CaptainNurbles

Postby Abba Zabba » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:59 pm

Haven't tested the rockets (neither 20mm nor 84mm) but I can say that the 40mm grenades do feel a bit OP. I think they should reliably kill up to cacos and that brown squire hell knight (that's supposed to project shields? I haven't caught it doing so yet), but not so much the more powerful rare alt monsters of those tiers and above. Shouldn't kill a mancubus or arachnotron (basic variant), imo.

Won't speak for the 20mm rockets, but I'd personally leave that potential 1000 damage of the 84mm rockets alone so you have a designated boss buster. Tweak the availability some though, they are quite common for what they are. Same applies moreso to 40mm grenades. Perhaps swap them out with impact bombs and frags, moreso. Maybe even some fire bombs which I have trouble finding.

That topic of enemy-launched capsules of manhacks is indeed a brutal thought, but then I got to wondering about it's potential application for a proper boss (maybe barons, since they're technically bosses, but by proper boss I mean the huge tier of cyberdemon or spider mastermind). Since you hug cover just about the most you ever do when fighting bosses, it could be a cruel way of flushing out a concealed player, fitting ability for something that tough.
Abba Zabba

Postby CaptainNurbles » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:57 am

Abba Zabba wrote:Haven't tested the rockets (neither 20mm nor 84mm) but I can say that the 40mm grenades do feel a bit OP. I think they should reliably kill up to cacos and that brown squire hell knight (that's supposed to project shields? I haven't caught it doing so yet), but not so much the more powerful rare alt monsters of those tiers and above. Shouldn't kill a mancubus or arachnotron (basic variant), imo.

I looked into the theoretical max damages of the explosives when shrapnel was factored in and JESUS the 40mm grenades were almost as damaging as the 84mm rockets were! Up to 300 impact damage, over 200 splash damage, with dozens of shrapnel each doing up to 30 damage per projectile! What in the god damn was I thinking. 20mm rocklets were dealing nearly 500 damage in total per shot with shrapnel factored in, meaning they could theoretically drop hell knights in one go. Even thrown frag grenades were dealing dick loads of damage! I know I said I was going to slow down on updates and such but this is ridonculous! I'll be uploading a patch some time soon to address these insane damages. As it currently stands, explosives outperform BFG weapons not just in terms of weighing less, but in terms of raw damage output. You have no reason NOT to ditch the energy weapons in favor of explosives. I'll also look into buffing BFG-tier weaponry overall.

Abba Zabba wrote:Tweak the availability some though, they are quite common for what they are. Same applies moreso to 40mm grenades. Perhaps swap them out with impact bombs and frags, moreso. Maybe even some fire bombs which I have trouble finding.

In general I'm gonna see about having 40mm grenades and 84mm rockets be rarer, with the makeshift explosives being slightly more common. Fire bombs are so rare because of how absolutely ridiculously damaging they are against crowds. Toss one of those in a crowded hallway and you've basically bought yourself a brief moment of respite to relax and chill out. I ~want~ them that dangerous as a sorta "get out of jail free" card for ambushes and traps.

Abba Zabba wrote:That topic of enemy-launched capsules of manhacks is indeed a brutal thought, but then I got to wondering about it's potential application for a proper boss (maybe barons, since they're technically bosses, but by proper boss I mean the huge tier of cyberdemon or spider mastermind). Since you hug cover just about the most you ever do when fighting bosses, it could be a cruel way of flushing out a concealed player, fitting ability for something that tough.

You've reminded me that I really ought to finish the enemy roster by adding archvile, spider mastermind, and cyberdemon replacements.
CaptainNurbles

Postby Abba Zabba » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:17 pm

Bug: the 'unbranded' flamethrower is able to be scrapped for ammo, when the PDA entry for the flamethrower describes the fact that the proprietary fuel tanks that it uses are incapable of being swapped out by hand, making ammo scavenging for the weapon pointless. Scrapping the flamethrower just seems to play a rocket launcher chambering sound while deleting the weapon.

Would love to see those 3 bosses (if barons of hell are counted as bosses, archviles imo should definitely be included, barons and archviles fit pretty snugly into a mini boss tier) be modified for this great mod.

Spoiler: Bandage tweak

I'd make barrel shrapnel perhaps a bit more deadly. Maybe 50% more shrapnel? Damage isn't too bad as is, however.

Lastly, I edited the third (C) frame of the combat knife because I couldn't stand the baked in motion blur of the sprite; to me, it fits the mod's spirit better and isn't as visually distracting as it was before. If you want me to, I'll attach it to a response post.
Abba Zabba

Postby CaptainNurbles » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:21 pm

Spoiler: Wordy McWordyson
CaptainNurbles

Postby Abba Zabba » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:35 pm

KNFNC0.zip
Spoiler: Yet more words
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Abba Zabba

Postby Ac!d » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:53 pm

Issue with the T84 Rocket Launcher : If the T84 is loaded and you press the reload key, the T84 will reload and deplete 1 unit of ammo.
Ac!d
Perfection is a way, not an end. - Korean Proverb

Discord: Ac!d#2732

Postby CaptainNurbles » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:14 pm

Spoiler: WORDS

By the way, do you folks think the mod spawns too much health now? I just completed a run of Flashback to Hell with the mod and, good time overall, but I was FLUSH with health for like the last 2/3rds of the campaign, partly because of how often megaspheres and suits of marine armor would spawn in secrets. I'm talking constantly having over 75% bandages, 100% stimpaks, multiple medikits and berserk packs, etc. I was never ~not~ hurting for health.

Also this next update is going to see a new feature that is currently limited to just one weapon: Swapping out multiple ammo types! In my FTH playthrough I had realized that I'd made the Icon of Sin largely unbeatable due to the fact that your most reliable means of pumping explosives into its brain, the 84mm rocket launcher, had an abysmally tiny blast radius, and therefore could only harm the Icon via shrapnel. The grenade launchers are an option, but good luck getting the arc right in the heat of combat, or on certain Icon of Sin maps where the Romero Receptacle™ is oddly shaped.

Now it can take two types of rockets: High explosive, and HEAT. HE rockets have more impact damage than 40mm grenades but less splash damage, a slightly smaller blast radius, and less shrapnel. The HEAT shells are unchanged from before, having a tiny blast radius and low amounts of shrapnel, but insane impact damage. HE rockets are much more common than HEAT shells, which you may only find in individual units, never in larger boxes. I'll be toying around with this feature to see how the rocket launcher is balanced, but it should be an interesting addition! I may do something similar with the shotguns, giving them alternative ammo types to further increase their usefulness (maybe slugs for 20 gauge shotguns and dragonbreath for 12 gauge.)

I do NOT want to touch the non-shotgun ballistic guns (rifles, SMGs, pistols, etc.) since there's already tons of ammo types in that regard and adding more would be bad. Shells, explosives, figured that would be fine to introduce new ammo types into since there's only a small handful of ammo types on Shell and Rocket spawns.
CaptainNurbles

Postby Antihistamine » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:21 pm

Overall I am really enjoying this mod a lot since I was looking for something like HD but more survival horror driven. Absolutely love the atmosphere of the mod, and the pda logs. (that was one of my favorite parts of doom 3)
Can't wait for the next update.

Thoughts and feedback
Spoiler:
Antihistamine

Postby Abba Zabba » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:58 pm

Spoiler: Potentially serious bug:

RE: too much health: I personally think that normal, mundane medical items of stimpacks, medikits, and even berserk packs feel balanced enough and are still fairly tricky to come by depending on the map, but I will, however, agree that supernatural healing is somewhat OP, as they feel like they largely provide vanilla amounts of health reliably instead of another item spawning in their place. I'd buffer out soulspheres and megaspheres with more vitality orbs, and more permanent upgrades. With megaspheres spawning higher tier gear or having a higher chance to spawn health related things, as megaspheres in vanilla essentially function as a maxed out player restore in health and armor, almost always used before or after something that requires them, whereas soulspheres are just 100 supernatural health, and as such are more flexible in their distribution.

The alternate ammo type idea is great! That way too, you can prioritize splash later on in a mapset where you know that you might be dealing with a romero head, and knowing this, pack accordingly. Would love shotgun slugs, I've been forcing myself to use 20ga more often, because I forget that 9mm (pistol) mags and 20ga shells are your bread and butter; as a result, it's got me wondering if you'd consider adding temporary shields on monster death to soak up shrapnel or pellets so you can't super shotgun hole punch through a crowd, and would have to instead pepper your shots across the crowd for shotgun crowd control.

I hear you on the pistol, carbine, and rifle topic. Plenty of ammo types as is. Maybe in the future too, the 9mm can be condensed to one specific 9mm caliber (plain old ancient Parabellum or the custom in-universe 'Slugger' caliber), along with the .22WMR pistol being changed to just .22LR in the indefinite future, so you can strip the lowest tier of handgun from the lowest tier of gun toting zombie (did not know that zombieman tier gun wielding zombies had kevlar jackets, good to know now) and accumulate ammo to load into that incredibly useful .22LR PDW.
Abba Zabba

Postby CaptainNurbles » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:37 pm

Spoiler:
Last edited by CaptainNurbles on Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainNurbles

Postby Abba Zabba » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:54 pm

Blazing fast response because I seemingly found a sweet spot with the inconsistency of these tics of the engine; remove a little over one quarter of a second from the duration of a given effect, in tics only. So for example, with stims, they normally would have a tic duration of 140 (4 seconds, each second being about the same as 35 tics) but when I shave off 10 tics (technically 8.75 tics, but since you can't do decimals with this effect, just round up. Plus it's a nice clean easy to remember number.) to get a value of 130 tics, it seems to fall in a sweet spot and trigger correctly every time, but I'm not holding my breath just yet. I tested with 20 stims so far, while taking away health in increments of 10, and it's worked correctly so far.

Edit: seems like that's not full proof either, but I'll try taking away 2 tics at a time and see how it fares. It might just be unsalvageable for long term, accurate use.
Last edited by Abba Zabba on Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abba Zabba

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods