Scavver's Paradise V1.9.91 - A Survival Horror Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

WEAPON LIMITER SYSTEM: What do you think would work best?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:00 am

1) Two weapons per weapon category (As it currently is)
28%
2) Remove weapon categories and limit players to X number of any weapons regardless of size or type?
8%
3) A pseudo-weight system where weapons take up X amount of space depending on weapon size. Pistols take up little space, but rifles and launchers take up a lot more space, etc.
64%

Total votes : 36

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.15 - A Survival Horror Mod

Postby Abba Zabba » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:10 pm

Bug: the new barrels seem to very rarely harm the player, even if hugging a barrel when it goes off. I'm not sure why this is, I tested this with a few dozen barrels, and with the 60 hitpoint, ballistic weave jacket and 100 health. I was never harmed except for one time when I summoned a brand new barrel through the console (which was correctly replaced instantly by the game with a BoomBarrel) and only at that time with that specific barrel did it harm me, in fact, it seemed to connect in full, easily killing me. All other times though, absolutely no damage. And is it generating shrapnel as fast projectiles? Or is it a no wall decal hitscan?

Excellent update, love the axe speed buff and the rebalance of melee to make machetes shine for their rarity (and general objective weapon quality compared to makeshift melee weapons.) And I never mentioned how much I enjoy the PDA mechanic, it's the only doom mod that comes to mind featuring an encyclopedia of sorts, a hefty bonus to a game or mod in my book. Great stuff.

The new sounds are great, key sprites and sounds flesh the mod out more, and the body thud sound given to (seemingly?) all monsters, at least zombies and imps, not only is satisfying, but is a good audio cue on when corner shooting manages to bring something down in case there's too much noise going on.
Abba Zabba

Postby CaptainNurbles » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:55 pm

Abba Zabba wrote:Guff about barrels not working right.

It's a bit silly to be complaining about a thing not killing you, innit?

Barrels have been fixed, seems like I forgot to activate a necessary flag when I modified the explosion to give it its damage type.

As for the shrapnel, that wasn't just limited to the barrels. When I modified the shrapnel initially I fucked the code up something fierce and it wasn't really spawning properly. Took me some time to figure that one out. Shrapnel has been fixed as well, and I thank ya for pointing both issues out to me!

Abba Zabba wrote:And I never mentioned how much I enjoy the PDA mechanic, it's the only doom mod that comes to mind featuring an encyclopedia of sorts, a hefty bonus to a game or mod in my book. Great stuff.

Glad you appreciate it man! I spent probably too much time writing all of the game tips, weapon data, and lore logs, time that probably could have been spent on making the visuals look nicer lol. I kinda feel like I could add more bits of lore to the mod for the player to find, but I don't want things to get samey and lamey.

Abba Zabba wrote:and the body thud sound given to (seemingly?) all monsters, at least zombies and imps,

Oh shit I forgot to finish that lol. I was wanting to flesh out various sound effects like that for the monsters and got a bit distracted with other stuff part way through. I plan on adding more foley to further please people's ear holes.
CaptainNurbles

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Abba Zabba » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:36 pm

CaptainNurbles wrote:It's a bit silly to be complaining about a thing not killing you, innit?

True, but misery is part of the fun!

Bug: AER20 laser cannon has a broken carry weight, likely a similar situation to the flame bomb. Weapon sprite is huge, thought to myself 'wow this must be heavy', PDA entry went out of it's way to say 'ya it's 15 pounds lol!', and was able to carry it with 6 free pounds of carry weight. Then dropping everything makes it impossible to carry with a completely empty arsenal.

Bug: The .22 WMR zombie displays blue (plasma?) muzzleflash frames instead of the included pain frames, upon entering a pain state. Where did you get those sprites from? A zombie with multiple weapon modes?

Also, is there any reason for the automap linedef color for blue key related stuff, being changed to cyan? I've encountered these sorts of color changes more often than I think in doom mods for whatever reason, but in your case, the new custom keys follow the same colors as vanilla. Bug? (the skull keys are seriously cool, at first I thought it was an ambient ObAddon sound.)

Lastly, I'd strongly recommended bumping the player's RunHealth value from the Strife default of 16 to 25 (the wiki is incorrect on the definition of this property, the value defined is the run cut off point rather than minimum amount of health required to still be able to run.) Rationale being that this not only matches the HUD's color coding, but still offers enough leeway to able to able to run if you're in the health ranges above this value.

Spoiler:
Abba Zabba

Postby CaptainNurbles » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:51 am

Abba Zabba wrote:Bug: AER20 laser cannon has a broken carry weight, likely a similar situation to the flame bomb. Weapon sprite is huge, thought to myself 'wow this must be heavy', PDA entry went out of it's way to say 'ya it's 15 pounds lol!', and was able to carry it with 6 free pounds of carry weight. Then dropping everything makes it impossible to carry with a completely empty arsenal.

Noted and fixed. I also went through to double check every weapon in the game and caught a similar issue with the 5.6mm Hunting Rifle where I had forgotten to replace a line of code from the old weapon limiter system.

Abba Zabba wrote:Bug: The .22 WMR zombie displays blue (plasma?) muzzleflash frames instead of the included pain frames, upon entering a pain state. Where did you get those sprites from? A zombie with multiple weapon modes?

The sprites came from the Realm 667 Repository, as many of the sprites used do. It's supposed to be a zombie with a plasma pistol, but out of wanting another pistol zombie I took the sprite and changed the blue muzzle flash to orange. Seems I typed the wrong frame of animation in for pain, though, as that was calling to a part of the fire animation that I'd forgotten to color blue. It's a good thing I don't do this thing for a living, otherwise I'd have been fired long ago for my laziness!

(Related, if anybody out there knows of any quick, easy ways to replace the white lab coats on the scientist zombies without derping things up with translations I'd be super appreciative! I tried using translation on the knife and wrench zombies, but that also changed the colors of their weapons.)

Abba Zabba wrote:Also, is there any reason for the automap linedef color for blue key related stuff, being changed to cyan? I've encountered these sorts of color changes more often than I think in doom mods for whatever reason, but in your case, the new custom keys follow the same colors as vanilla. Bug?

Just a mistype in the LOCKDEFS lump. Fixed. I wouldn't have even noticed that on my own, so thank ya for catching it this early!

Abba Zabba wrote:Guff about the medical harness.

And thank you for giving me the inspiration to add a bit more audio goodness to the harness! Ain't gonna overload it and have it constantly yap at ya, but just a lil' extra something to make long time Boomer Shooter™ fans smile when grabbing it for the first time.
CaptainNurbles

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.2 - A Survival Horror Mod

Postby CaptainNurbles » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:10 pm

More bug fixes, more cleaning up of issues, and a lil' bit more foley. Just a general sorta "fixing what should have been fixed before the last update" update. Unless other bugs and issues crop up, this should be the last update I push before I start working on cleaning up weapon sprites and animations, making things look and feel nicer in that regard. Before I do that though I will probably take a good break from this since I've spent nearly 3 months working almost nonstop on this damn thing!

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 23/1/21)

Changelog:
Spoiler:
CaptainNurbles

Postby KingFrog564 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:00 pm

How do you drop weapons?
KingFrog564

Postby CaptainNurbles » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:17 pm

KingFrog564 wrote:How do you drop weapons?

You'll have to bind a key for Drop Weapon, located in the control options. I also highly recommend you bind the reload key, since weapons no longer auto reload and smacking reload when holding a one handed melee weapon engages a power attack.
CaptainNurbles

Postby Abba Zabba » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:29 pm

In the future when you work on visuals, are you going to see if you can add more zombie variant sprites to match the weapons they carry? I only now noticed that zombies of a certain given kind, have a chance of dropping their 'rare' variant of weapon they use. For the 9mm pistol zombies with the windbreakers, the select fire pistol blends in well enough, but for the .357 Magnum zombies, it's a little bit of a stretch for them to occasionally use the .45 auto compact pistols, when their sprite is a revolver. Just throwing it out there on what you think.
Abba Zabba

Postby zimxpentagram » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:54 pm

This mod is rather amazing, it has everything I like about survival horror, even the adrenaline pumping moments when your vitals are low, your low on ammo, and the room is still full of baddies. However I had some suggestions that would be cool to have in this mod. I think it would be a bit easier to have the PDA be a bound key item rather than an inventory item, not only will there be easy access to the PDA, but it opens up a possibility to have a map integrated into the PDA. If that isn't possible, that's OK, I just thought of this since people playing would mostly prioritize there inventory for salvaging, medical, and utility equipment, making the PDA take up no space and leaving less clutter.

Another suggestion would be being able to throw melee weapons, it would be helpful if your out of ammo and you cant afford getting close to anything or else you'll get killed, now to make this balance, players can only throw small weapons such as knives, hand axes and wrenches.
zimxpentagram

Postby CaptainNurbles » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:30 pm

Abba Zabba wrote:In the future when you work on visuals, are you going to see if you can add more zombie variant sprites to match the weapons they carry? I only now noticed that zombies of a certain given kind, have a chance of dropping their 'rare' variant of weapon they use. For the 9mm pistol zombies with the windbreakers, the select fire pistol blends in well enough, but for the .357 Magnum zombies, it's a little bit of a stretch for them to occasionally use the .45 auto compact pistols, when their sprite is a revolver. Just throwing it out there on what you think.

If I can find some good looking sprites that look different enough from the zombie sprites I already have in use I'll look into implementing them! I'll also extend it to the rifle zombie since they have a rare chance to spawn wielding a lever action rifle.

zimxpentagram wrote:I think it would be a bit easier to have the PDA be a bound key item rather than an inventory item

Done, and I've also done the same to the armor repair tool AND the weapon scrapper. Been meaning to do this for all 3 items, but I've had other priorities. In the next update you'll be able to just slap a button, access your PDA. Slap another button, bam your armor's looking good. Slap a third button, bam any weapon you walk over in the next couple seconds will be scrapped for ammo.

Edit so that I don't have to unnecessarily bump the thread:

The Great Reanimation is coming along pretty well so far! It's going to take me a good lot of time to get this pushed out, especially since I'm intentionally slowing down production, but so far weapons feel so much nicer with smoother animations. Plus so far I've given 3 weapons brand new sprites to replace the old ones (9mm rifle, 20g pump, and .45 magnum) and they feel so much nicer to use overall.

I am also removing the autofire function from all non-automatic weaponry. If it isn't an automatic weapon, you're going to have to mash that fire button. A side effect of this is that these non-automatics are also able to be fired faster than they normally would, so long as you're willing to jam your preferred fire button over and over again. Pistols feel more useful now!
CaptainNurbles

Postby Abba Zabba » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:53 am

I understand on the sprite topic. Perhaps the .357 zombie could have the pistol from the 9mm zombie, but recolored silver, for when it's carrying a .45? Just throwing ideas out here.

Excellent to hear that mainstay functions like the PDA and ammo scrapper now have proper, in menu dedicated binds. I'm also glad you went with semi auto being represented on a per click basis, it fleshes out the other fire modes more along with, as you mentioned, offering the player the opportunity to potentially fire faster if need be. Something I was hoping for when I kept getting nipped by low tier zombies that just happened to break a stunlock before death. Maybe add a minimum delay to each trigger pull, so that the fast, light .22 WMR has next to no delay, but the heavy .357 revolver would have a much more noticeable delay (along with recoil causing you to take time to adjust aim) from a 12 pound or so trigger pull? That and the .22 WMR pistol's failure to fire due to light hammer hits on rimfire cartridges would also display better with your change. I can dig it, since early game hand guns are a massive part of the mod.

Recommend toning down zombie accuracy a little bit, seems like they hit dead on far too often at long ranges. Maybe lower overall player speed a little as well, to make better use of cover that this mod emphasizes? 70-80 is a decent range.

Good luck on the reanimation project! Personally, I thought the sprites used looked fine and served well, but I do, however, understand the disconnect some may feel on how some weapons are butter smooth, while others are clunky like vanilla. (in which case I'd rough up the smooth animations a bit in the meantime, but it's up to you.) Will these changes be the actually last for real this time update before the long break for the reanimation?
Abba Zabba

Postby CaptainNurbles » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:24 am

Abba Zabba wrote:I understand on the sprite topic. Perhaps the .357 zombie could have the pistol from the 9mm zombie, but recolored silver, for when it's carrying a .45? Just throwing ideas out here.

Will take me some time to do so and it probably won't look too great but I'll give it a try! What's the worst that can happen?

Abba Zabba wrote:Recommend toning down zombie accuracy a little bit, seems like they hit dead on far too often at long ranges. Maybe lower overall player speed a little as well, to make better use of cover that this mod emphasizes? 70-80 is a decent range.

I'll toy around with this some as well. My main issue with speed is that I don't want to completely break maps that require speed for agility challenges. I know I've had times while playing Hideous Destructor where I basically had to cheat in order to beat certain map sets. Bringing it down from 75 to 70 shouldn't hurt, methinks.

Abba Zabba wrote:Will these changes be the actually last for real this time update before the long break for the reanimation?

Most likely! Doing up the animations will take some time, and I am intentionally slowing my ass down because I am kinda on the verge of burnout lol. My ADHD ass has basically hyper-focused on making this mod since November, which would explain the frequency of updates (constantly working on the mod, lots gets done in short periods of time.) Plus I haven't noticed anything else that needs serious addressing, nothing game breaking or exploitable at least.

Once the animations and everything gets touched up, I think the last thing that really needs doing with the mod is converting the guns to ZScript so that weapons can keep track of how much ammo is in them, much like in HDster. Doing that would fix the issue where you can empty a gun completely, drop it, scrap a full magazine from it, and the next time you pick a copy of that gun up it's completely empty. Would also mean I can include a proper unload state that isn't jank as fuck. That will take me a LONG while because I'd have to finally learn ZScript.
CaptainNurbles

Postby Abba Zabba » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:18 pm

Burnout can be a bastard for sure. You've already done a lot, so a break is well deserved.

Bug: the sawn-off 20ga. can't be reloaded if I have only one 20ga. shell. This was done with an empty gun, haven't tried reloading one barrel if I have one reserve shell, yet. I'd also check out the full length 12ga. double barrel for the same bug where it might be present as well.

The delay after the first swing of a machete ALWAYS causes shotgunner tier zombies and above to light you up, making it so that, to avoid this, you have to do a free swing, then connect the next 3 swings and possibly add the stab at the end. Not sure if you want to leave it as is or tighten it up a bit so each swing is consistent like the combat knife, but not as fast.
Abba Zabba

Postby CaptainNurbles » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:27 pm

Abba Zabba wrote:Bug: the sawn-off 20ga. can't be reloaded if I have only one 20ga. shell.

Taken care of, and this was also apparent in the 12ga. double since it was based off the 20ga. double code.

Meet the new .45 Colt Retro!

And the ST-9 rifle!

And don't forget about the Bossberg 620 police shotgun!

CaptainNurbles

Postby Captain J » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:55 am

Hohohoh wow! This is very nice and detailed. Has a lot of weapons and the ammo types man... And the weight limit that balances the inventory out is nicely, and fairly executed. This is by far the second best doom mod i've ever played of 2020!
Spoiler: "And here are my feedback!"
And that's about it. Really good and addictive mod overall!
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods