Scavver's Paradise V1.9.9.4 - A Survival Horror Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

WEAPON LIMITER SYSTEM: What do you think would work best?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:00 am

1) Two weapons per weapon category (As it currently is)
28%
2) Remove weapon categories and limit players to X number of any weapons regardless of size or type?
8%
3) A pseudo-weight system where weapons take up X amount of space depending on weapon size. Pistols take up little space, but rifles and launchers take up a lot more space, etc.
64%

Total votes : 36

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.9.9.4 - A Survival Horror Mod

Postby Rex705 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:00 pm

Do you have a cool logo Scavver's Paradise? I always like having logos for mods on hand.
Rex705

Discord: Rex705
Twitch ID: Rex705

Postby CaptainNurbles » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:47 pm

Rex705 wrote:Do you have a cool logo Scavver's Paradise? I always like having logos for mods on hand.

I wouldn't say a visually pleasing logo, nah. The ingame menu logo was constructed in a couple minutes using a font I'd grabbed off Realm667. It can be extracted from the PK3 if ya like.
CaptainNurbles

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby mrspeaker » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:09 pm

Alright there's a few minor problems I found with this current version:

- Tag error on the 12g auto shotgun pickup item: it displays the 20g auto name instead
- Some projectiles have no decals, such as imp fireballs
- Sprite conflicts with almost every wad/megawad I tried it with: in "Ashes:2063", the sledgehammer is a piece of dirt or rubbish if I load it after the mod. In "hell on earth starter pack" the lightpoles are discarded berserkerpacks if I load it before. If I load it after there is a conflict with the flare light
- Keycards not compatible with some wads that also replace them. In Ashes if I load the mod after the wad they don't work at all, but if I load it before there's the aforementioned sprite conflicts.
- There's an a_customrailgunattack error (MONSTER decorate file, lines 10027 and 10030). Changing the last 0 to "None" in both lines fixed it.
mrspeaker

Postby thugsta » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:40 am

CaptainNurbles wrote:
mrspeaker wrote:Very nice but I have one question: How do I see what status effects are ailing me? Like bleed, burn, pain, tiredness, parasites. Or are they not implemented yet? Cause I have become slower a couple times but maybe it was just from low health.

That hasn't been implemented just yet. All the new medical items to tend to those ailments are there, and I've gone ahead and added a PDA log for it, but status effects aren't yet in the mod. The slowed speed is just from having your HP at or below 20. Hopefully I can get that in soon, though!

That does raise the question of how I'll effectively convey to the player that they're affected by an ailment.

I was wondering if you can please make your hitscan enemies have tracers instead, this will be a HUGE deal for this mod i have to say as it will make some great fire fights along with everything this mod has going. Love your work.

As a side note, your x9.4 version is not on the front page, you might want to edit that so people know the latest version/bugfix.
thugsta

Postby CaptainNurbles » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:03 am

mrspeaker wrote:Stuff about minor bugs

Noted, appreciated!

thugsta wrote:I was wondering if you can please make your hitscan enemies have tracers instead, this will be a HUGE deal for this mod i have to say as it will make some great fire fights along with everything this mod has going. Love your work.

As a side note, your x9.4 version is not on the front page, you might want to edit that so people know the latest version/bugfix.

Goodness, am I sloppy or what? Front page has been updated, thank ya.

Making the hitscan weapons shoot projectiles instead has been a temptation for me as of late, actually. Hitscanners are, by nature, frustrating, and are best implemented as weak cannon fodder that slowly plinks your health away. Conversely, the hitscanners in Scav Para are there to ruin your life lol. I may toy with this.
CaptainNurbles

Postby Rex705 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:20 pm

How do I drop weapons? It says I'm too heavy but I don't see any drop options.
Rex705

Postby thugsta » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:32 am

Rex705 wrote:How do I drop weapons? It says I'm too heavy but I don't see any drop options.

You bind a button in the inventory settings.

CaptainNurbles wrote:
mrspeaker wrote:Stuff about minor bugs

Noted, appreciated!

thugsta wrote:I was wondering if you can please make your hitscan enemies have tracers instead, this will be a HUGE deal for this mod i have to say as it will make some great fire fights along with everything this mod has going. Love your work.

Goodness, am I sloppy or what? Front page has been updated, thank ya.

Making the hitscan weapons shoot projectiles instead has been a temptation for me as of late, actually. Hitscanners are, by nature, frustrating, and are best implemented as weak cannon fodder that slowly plinks your health away. Conversely, the hitscanners in Scav Para are there to ruin your life lol. I may toy with this.

I have tried my luck with 3 different ways to add tracers and have now made one that is pretty good along with some other minor modifications for personal use, also i cleaned up most of your warnings (other then actor 0 which i can fix but it seems wrong to rid of it so left it as is) may i share it with you and maybe get it officially added in perhaps so you can see what you think?
thugsta

Postby Rex705 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:21 am

I looked at the options there is no drop weapon to bind. Where is it and what is it called? I looked up and down the options menu and saw nothing about dropping a weapon.
Rex705

Postby CaptainNurbles » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:26 am

Rex705 wrote:I looked at the options there is no drop weapon to bind. Where is it and what is it called? I looked up and down the options menu and saw nothing about dropping a weapon.

Options -> Controls -> Inventory -> Drop Weapon, sat right at the bottom of the list.

thugsta wrote:
I have tried my luck with 3 different ways to add tracers and have now made one that is pretty good along with some other minor modifications for personal use, also i cleaned up most of your warnings (other then actor 0 which i can fix but it seems wrong to rid of it so left it as is) may i share it with you and maybe get it officially added in perhaps so you can see what you think?

I'd be curious to check it out, yeah. I had a quick poke to see how it'd do in DECORATE, myself, but haven't done much extensive work on that. You can send me a note here and I'll check it out.
CaptainNurbles

Postby thugsta » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:18 am

CaptainNurbles wrote:
Rex705 wrote:
I'd be curious to check it out, yeah. I had a quick poke to see how it'd do in DECORATE, myself, but haven't done much extensive work on that. You can send me a note here and I'll check it out.

It has been sent, check your PM :)
thugsta

Postby XLightningStormL » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:53 pm

CaptainNurbles wrote:This is a workaround to them having alternate functions tied to the altfire. If I don't set NOALERT on those guns, switching your handgun to a 3 round burst or using a scope on a sniper rifle would alert all nearby enemies. On the Fire state of these weapons a function is called to alert all nearby monsters to your presence, that way your scoping or firemode swapping can be silent.

During "true" fire states use A_AlertMonsters (optimally after A_PlaySound/A_StartSound or A_FireBullets)
XLightningStormL
Former DUSK Wiki Master

Twitch ID: XLightmingStormL

Postby CaptainNurbles » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:21 pm

Just a quick update thing to show that I'm not dead! Modding mood's been waning between "nah no thanks" to "I GOTTA."

I keep postponing any ACS work just cause it's intimidating to my dumb ass, but I have been making up for that by adding improvements and quality of life things elsewhere. With how much I have planned and how much work needs done, the 2.0 release will likely take some time. Proooobably gonna get it done before the 1 year anniversary of this mod being made public, but I ain't promising anything.

(Left to right: Imp Leather Coat, Mystic Robes, Energy Vest, Combat Fire Suit, Blast Suit, Battle Armor (New Sprite), Marine Armor (New Sprite))

Added a handful of new armor types, first and foremost. I felt like the present roster of armor available to the player mostly leans towards "good physical protection, shame about fire, plasma, and explosives." Most of the new armors lean towards demonic projectiles which largely deal flame and plasma damage. Battle Armor was modified to be the best available for bullets and melee, and was moved up to Tier 5, spawning on Megasphere spawns instead of Blue Armor. Marine Armor had its physical protection dropped to make it more geared towards flame, plasma, and lasers, to add an interesting bit of dichotomy between the two. Also, new sprite, cause AIN'T THAT SLEEK AS FUGG?

I also experimented with armors having more to them than just protection (for example, the robes grant you partial invisibility while worn, and fireproof armors/combat fire suits/marine armors have rebreathers for breathing underwater on maps with watery bits.) I also made it so that you can't immediately replace armor with something new, forcing the player to remove their armor first before putting it on. The way this was implemented will make it easier for me in the future if I decide to make armor fit in your inventory.

Healing items can stack on top of one another now for added convenience. Rather than waiting tons of time for bandages to heal you slowly and certainly, you can slap multiple onto your body at a time. The max amount you can stack a healing item depends on what it is (bandages can be applied up to 6 times, stims up to 3, blood packs only once, etc.) Other consumables such as adrenal boosts and void spheres can only have one applied to the player at a time, with one exception. Pain killers can be intentionally overdosed to double its protection, at a sacrifice to your health and movement. Take three doses and you die from organ damage.

There's now a system in place to give you an individual PDA log about your currently worn armor, similar to the system to show you info about your currently equipped weapon. The individual armor logs have lengthier descriptions about your armor, just cause I felt like writing more, but having this individual log means you don't have to swim through walls of text in the general armor log. Admittedly it's kinda useless since the Armor Popup Menu shows you the important stuff, but it's there for those who like to read technical crap!

Finally, I've been working on adding to and improving the monster roster. There's a GOOD amount of work I wanna do here. Many of the currently existing monsters are essentially "vanilla monster but bigger." New monsters are being added to shake things up a bit more, some monsters are gonna be replaced with more interesting ones (the arachnihilator with its plasma cannon has been replaced with the arachnotwin seen on left, which has a twin cannon that shoots faster and more rapidly, but with weaker projectiles. Still thinking on an interesting alt attack for it) and existing critters will get new attack patterns/behaviors to make them fiercer in combat. One example of such is that I wanna make the commando zombies (chaingunguy spawns) have the ability to strafe while firing, and also have a melee state which pushes the player away a deal to line them up for a close range attack.
CaptainNurbles

Postby CaptainNurbles » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:56 pm

One more update post!

Work is being done, however slowly. The biggest hurdle, the affliction system, has been coded and implemented in! It needs time to work out the kinks, balance how often the player is affected, and rebalance the medical items spawns to best fit what damages the player most frequently takes on, but it's working. Once I get it working to my liking all I'd have on my plate is to just add a few more monsters, improve some monsters' attack patterns to make them more interesting, and to FINALLY finish replacing the stock Doom monster sounds. Once all that's wrapped up and taken care of, and all the bugs and issues I can find have been worked out, I can finally upload what I'd consider the version 2.0 release of the mod. It won't function too differently from the current public build, but it's so wildly different from version 1.0 it may as well be a completely different beast altogether.

Optimistically, a release will come before the end of the year, but since I'm back to work now I've been spending less time developing the mod. No promises on a release date, but it is coming.
CaptainNurbles

Postby thugsta » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:49 pm

Great to hear progress is going well enough at least. If you going to replace the sounds i highly suggest changing the current monsters sounds to something more scary (can look at project mailice sounds for example of some game sound rips). Also make the monsters fast to retaliate and the different types (zombieman vs shotgunguy) be different species so they can infight and cause abit of chaos and you'll be able to hear some of their fights in the distant cause of it, it will add abit of dynamic.

Speaking of fixing, i noticed you don't have the sound channel next to the items used so they get cut off, might want to add that bit of code to fix it to yours.

Looking forward to some of those new monsters, hope you got some use out of those monsters i gave you too. Anyway good to hear work has been found and started again. Take care with these hard times.
thugsta

Postby Carrotear » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:23 am

I made a "weapons only" version. Is it cool that I share it?
Carrotear
My arm hurts

OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods