Scavver's Paradise V1.9.9.4 - A Survival Horror Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

WEAPON LIMITER SYSTEM: What do you think would work best?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:00 am

1) Two weapons per weapon category (As it currently is)
28%
2) Remove weapon categories and limit players to X number of any weapons regardless of size or type?
8%
3) A pseudo-weight system where weapons take up X amount of space depending on weapon size. Pistols take up little space, but rifles and launchers take up a lot more space, etc.
64%

Total votes : 36

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.9.91 - A Survival Horror Mod

Postby CaptainNurbles » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:29 am

Abba Zabba wrote:Turret nerf in regards to the reality of their bulk is good imo. I hoard and hoard until I can find a good moment to use one considering you unfortunately can't move them. This change would give them heaps more use. Could the armor repair tool be used on them, in the future? Perhaps a more common caliber for the rifle turret so you could restock it for siege-esque fights, or a central area of a map that has a lot of activity? Piggybacking off of that, you could make a fully intact/repaired turret with full ammo collapse back down into a portable item.

I'm unsure if making the turrets reusable would be doable in DECORATE. I feel like it may be, but would be a pain in the ass to code up and would have to be done with limitations. I do want to do it! The turrets are already pretty useful as it is, and being able to reuse and repair them would make it endlessly more useful. I'll chalk that up on the list of things to mess around with but can't promise an implementation that isn't ugly as fuk.
CaptainNurbles

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby -Ghost- » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:52 pm

Given you're adding bulk/volume to the carry system, would it be feasible to add things to expand that capacity, like slings, bandoliers, backpacks, tactical webbing, etc.? So say a shotgun is 12 units, but you throw a sling on it and knock it down to 8 because it's across your chest/back now, then you get a backpack that gives you another 50 units of space or something, some tactical vest webbing that gives you another 10, etc.

The weapon variety feels pretty good right now, though I still end up carrying a bunch of guns with a few rounds/one magazine each, so it can get a little clunky.
-Ghost-

Postby Abba Zabba » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:24 am

The backpack concept is something I meant to mention earlier, but it slipped my mind. It would be great to have backpacks reduce bulk or increase the carry capacity to some extent. Additional pouches and/or other storage gear would be cool too. Perhaps in terms of weight alone, the vitality or demon spheres that increase max HP, could also bump up the weight limit by a tiny amount per orb? Maybe 2 pounds per?
Abba Zabba

Postby CaptainNurbles » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:21 am

Off the top of my head it is probably doable, but I can't think of a concrete way of going about it. Would likely involve making some big changes to the ACS script as well as additional edits to every weapon item in the mod. I'll toy around with it, cause it is definitely a good idea.
CaptainNurbles

Postby -Ghost- » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:17 pm

I think Hideous Destructor may do it, if looking at its code helps. Getting a slight boost from supernatural sources would be cool too, and give even more incentive to find different buffs. You could even make some new medical items that permanently boost your strength or something, or tie it into the berserk items.
-Ghost-

Postby Doomguy914 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:03 pm

Permanent buffs would be a great idea for larger megawads with higher than average monster counts. Last time I played the mod I could barely escape some of the traps from the original Memento Mori. Mostly too many resurrecting enemies in confined spaces. Perhaps changing the way monsters resurrect would be a way to trim the balance a bit. It's really hard to come across enough weaponry to deal with all the monsters when ammo and such is so scarce from broken weapons to empty mags.
Doomguy914

Postby CaptainNurbles » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:57 pm

-Ghost- wrote:I think Hideous Destructor may do it, if looking at its code helps.

HDster largely uses ZScript, which makes my teeth bleed every time I've tried to learn it. Adding expandibility of the weapon weight could honestly probably just be done in good old DECORATE though, if my assumptions are correct! Just add a checker in the Weapon Giver items to see if you have (EXPANDER ITEM) in your inventory, and if no, default to 60 pound limit, if yes, default to the expanded limit. I don't think it'd even involve messing with the ACS script at all. Ditto for the item bulk system. I'll try to keep it good and simple though. Adding a sling to an individual gun to reduce its weight would be quite involved for my lazy ass. Adding a simple item you pick up that flatly increases how many guns you can carry should work just fine. As for items, the backpack will do just fine as an item to work for item bulk.

I'll give it thought later, since right now in the list of plans I have one more gun to code up (a second addition to the BFG tree), making the crossbow more useful (so far bolts are reusable with a 25% chance of breaking on impact with anything, planning on adding an alternative firebomb bolt as well to help improve its usefulness), and then continue to hammer out how I want the item bulk system to be balanced. I've added a rocket launcher that holds 4 rockets which can swap between HE and HEAT, and that's gotten me considering adding alternative ammo to the shotguns to give them more versatility (slugs for 20 gauge, either dragonbreath or explosive slugs for 12 gauge). That's probably not gonna happen lol, partly because it'd be a ton of work, and also because I worry about adding too many ammo types (though that said, that's mostly an issue in the small/large caliber guns on slots 2 and 4. Adding 2 new types of ammo for guns that are common and share ammo with one another might not hurt). I also want to expand on armored enemies, since I'd put so much work in considering how important armor piercing weaponry is and then only made that a useful factor in dealing with zombies. On top of that, I want a few more zombies thrown in that use rare ammo (7.62mm, 5.2mm LMG, and 8.6mm come to mind,) and I want to finish adding custom sounds for the monsters to replace vanilla sounds.

Doomguy914 wrote:Permanent buffs would be a great idea for larger megawads with higher than average monster counts. Last time I played the mod I could barely escape some of the traps from the original Memento Mori. Mostly too many resurrecting enemies in confined spaces. Perhaps changing the way monsters resurrect would be a way to trim the balance a bit. It's really hard to come across enough weaponry to deal with all the monsters when ammo and such is so scarce from broken weapons to empty mags.

If you find yourself struggling to stay supplied ammo in a given megawad, consider messing with the supply despawner sliders in the options menu. The standard ammo/health/armor spawn rates were balanced with vanilla spawns in mind. Some megawads are tighter on supplies, some are much looser.

THAT SAID, I have been tempted to add more permanent upgrades on top of what's already available. I'm just unsure of what to add that would actually be useful. Might not hurt to add a couple of demonic artifacts that affect your survivability.

LOTS to come in future, and all of it will come in due time. I'm trying to avoid feature creep cause I don't want this to be too overly complex, but I can't stop thinking of cool things that could make things more engaging and exciting for players.
CaptainNurbles

Postby Ferretmanjcdenton » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:19 pm

If this mod had more realistic weapons and enemies ..it would be perfect ...
Nevertheless nice work
Ferretmanjcdenton

Discord: https://discord.gg/hRm8w97
Operating System: Other Linux ARM/PPC/etc
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.9.9.3 - A Survival Horror Mod

Postby CaptainNurbles » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:36 am

Decided I'd go ahead and drop an update. Good deal of new content, changed content, and better weapons balancing. Still haven't touched the afflictions system however, as I wanted to make sure everything else I had in mind was implemented to my liking and that everything was balanced as best as I could make it. I've also finally been doing some runs in coop to see how well things go in that. Honestly damn fun, in my opinion! But I've made sure to add some text in the Item Despawner menu to give what I'd recommend the despawn rates be set to for a more enjoyable coop experience.

To briefly summarize: A few new guns, the removal of the 8.6mm ammo and rechambering of the 8.6mm sniper rifle down to 7.62mm, larger magazines for pistols and SMGs, a shotgun built into the 4.6mm PDW, changed the 20mm auto cannon into a bolt action anti-materiel rifle, a handful of new enemies (including boss monsters), new medical items, and a limiter to limit how many items you can carry.

Plans for the future will largely surround finishing the new monster sound effects, adding the affliction system, adding a system for dropping ammunition largely as a convenience thing for coop, and various changes in response to y'all's feedback.

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 24/10/21)

Changelog:

Spoiler:
CaptainNurbles

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.9.9.4 - A Survival Horror Mod

Postby CaptainNurbles » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:25 pm

Just a quick update with a couple of minor quick fixes, and a major addition for coop play! Figured I'd drop this now so that those of you who play this in coop can have that quality of life improvement. This should NOT break any saves, though if you want to add the Ammo Manager to your inventory midsave, use the following commands:

give AmmoManager
give 22PMagToken

Also finally got to updating the video and screenshots on the front page!

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 26/10/21)

Changelog:

Spoiler:
CaptainNurbles

Postby mrspeaker » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:22 pm

Very nice but I have one question: How do I see what status effects are ailing me? Like bleed, burn, pain, tiredness, parasites. Or are they not implemented yet? Cause I have become slower a couple times but maybe it was just from low health.
mrspeaker

Postby CaptainNurbles » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:24 am

mrspeaker wrote:Very nice but I have one question: How do I see what status effects are ailing me? Like bleed, burn, pain, tiredness, parasites. Or are they not implemented yet? Cause I have become slower a couple times but maybe it was just from low health.

That hasn't been implemented just yet. All the new medical items to tend to those ailments are there, and I've gone ahead and added a PDA log for it, but status effects aren't yet in the mod. The slowed speed is just from having your HP at or below 20. Hopefully I can get that in soon, though!

That does raise the question of how I'll effectively convey to the player that they're affected by an ailment.
CaptainNurbles

Postby mrspeaker » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:18 pm

Another question, then: why are so many weapons set to no alert monsters? the 6mm carbine, the battle rifle, the revolver, sniper, marksman rifle etc
mrspeaker

Postby CaptainNurbles » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:56 pm

mrspeaker wrote:Another question, then: why are so many weapons set to no alert monsters? the 6mm carbine, the battle rifle, the revolver, sniper, marksman rifle etc

This is a workaround to them having alternate functions tied to the altfire. If I don't set NOALERT on those guns, switching your handgun to a 3 round burst or using a scope on a sniper rifle would alert all nearby enemies. On the Fire state of these weapons a function is called to alert all nearby monsters to your presence, that way your scoping or firemode swapping can be silent.
CaptainNurbles

Postby mrspeaker » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:30 am

Aaaah I get it now. It's just that in some wads you can kill a monster (not necessarily with this mod, but any such as arachnocide weapons that has weapon.noalert in its weapons as well) and as long as the other one that's just beside him is out of your view or can't see you directly, he won't become active. I think that might have something to do with how the map is made and how the monsters are set up by the maker then, cause it doesn't seem to happen in every encounter of every wad.

Overall this has become my new favorite gameplay mod. I was looking for a substitute for DoomRLA since that one gives me freezeups now and makes me die to those all the time.
There's very good variety of guns and equipment: not too few but not too many although I wouldn't be against adding a couple more equipment types eventually; maybe a drone or a ladder like in HDestructor, or a beacon that calls an ally like in bfriend or BrutalDoom. The sounds are satisfying instead of grating and ultra loud, combat feels nice and tense and I love scavenging so this is right up my alley.
My only gripes are that I feel those invisible/void enemies are still a bit too common, and I'm used to playing with fastmonsters but since the enemies in this are so accurate I can't do that anymore lol. Other than that, maybe you could swap some enemy sprites and sounds for ones from ProjectMalice if they're okay with it cause the enemies in that mod are pretty scary, or at least give them some brightmaps.

Edit: Something else I forgot: because of the way this works and the way many wads rely on traps and monster closets, I'd say most famous wads and megawads are probably not doable. Maybe sliders for monster despawning like the ones for items that are already present in the mod could resolve this.
Last edited by mrspeaker on Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrspeaker

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods