Scavver's Paradise V1.9.91 - A Survival Horror Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

WEAPON LIMITER SYSTEM: What do you think would work best?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:00 am

1) Two weapons per weapon category (As it currently is)
28%
2) Remove weapon categories and limit players to X number of any weapons regardless of size or type?
8%
3) A pseudo-weight system where weapons take up X amount of space depending on weapon size. Pistols take up little space, but rifles and launchers take up a lot more space, etc.
64%

Total votes : 36

Re: Scavver's Paradise V 0.7.4 Beta: A Survival Horror Mod

Postby CaptainNurbles » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:39 am

-Ghost- wrote:I have noticed I've been having trouble dropping stuff though. It's been dropping it on top me so I just pick the weapon right back up again.

That's been an issue since I implemented the weapon limiter system due to how it's been coded in. Haven't yet taken care of it because my biggest priority for a while was getting all the content in that I need for the mod and making sure it all works and gels together. Since I've gotten maybe 85, 90% of the desired content coded in I'm going ahead and (finally) working on fixing that, should be able to get it done before the end of the day.

Wivicer wrote:I'm just dropping in to say this is great, but it's even better with the use-to-pickup mod loaded alongside of it.

Honestly even when I do fix the weapon drop issue I'd still recommend using the Use to Pickup mod since it both helps slow the player down a bit, helps you make sure you know what you're picking up, and can be damn handy in coop as well. I should honestly look into implementing the mod into mine (I did get permission to do so some time ago, just haven't gotten around to it.)
CaptainNurbles

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Scavver's Paradise V 0.7.4 Beta: A Survival Horror Mod

Postby CaptainNurbles » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:53 am

Probably the last update I post before I get to work on finishing up adding the rest of the content and attending to the more major issues present in the mod. Berserk attacks for certain melee weapons is still buggered and I'd appreciate some help figuring out what I'm doing wrong with that, but otherwise things're much more functional now. (I'd also appreciate help in general since I've ideas for plenty of neat things to aid the player, but they'd require knowledge of ACS and/or ZScript which I know nothing about)

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 7/1/21)

Changelog:

Spoiler:
Last edited by CaptainNurbles on Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainNurbles

Re: Scavver's Paradise V 0.7.5 Beta: A Survival Horror Mod

Postby CaptainNurbles » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:15 pm

Major update here! Substantial changes means that YOUR SAVE GAMES WILL BE BROKEN WITH THIS UPDATE.

All of the weapons that I've had explicitly planned in the design document have been implemented! From the humble lead pipe to the reality demolishing dark matter gun, scavengers from all over may rejoice as their arsenal has been completed! With a caveat: At some point I'd want to add magical weapons of demonic origin, things that are incredibly powerful and use a constantly regenerating ammo type, but they'd be incredibly hard to come across. That is a ~MAYBE~ as I'm unsure if I can really be assed in adding more weapons to a mod that has 58 weapons in total.

From here, all I'd have to do is play test the fuck out of this thing, listen to y'all's feedback, fix a few pressing bugs (gun casings are STILL wrong,) add NPC reloading, add a custom map from which players can build their own loadouts as they choose, and add a few more items that would upgrade the player and add more of a sense of progression.

Updates are going to be much slower from here on out, limited largely to major content additions and necessary bug fixes.

By the way, while I'm done with writing documents myself, if anybody wants to volunteer a few of their own to be added to the mod, do be sure to poke me in a PM with your ideas and we can work stuff from there! 40 feels like a pretty solid number for documents, but I also know there's at least one of ya who really enjoys that sorta thing. If you'd rather do voice logs, the PDA feature supports audio! I just haven't added any because I can't afford professional voice actors and my voice sounds fuckin' weird.

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 9/1/21)

Changelog:

Spoiler:
Last edited by CaptainNurbles on Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CaptainNurbles

Re: Scavver's Paradise V 0.8.2 Beta: A Survival Horror Mod

Postby CaptainNurbles » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:13 pm

I really gotta stop posting these frequent updates but what's been fixed and added are necessary.

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 10/1/21)

Spoiler:
Last edited by CaptainNurbles on Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainNurbles

Postby -Ghost- » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:23 pm

Weapon changes feel pretty good so far; they're more consistently dropping enemies without feeling too powerful.
-Ghost-

Postby CaptainNurbles » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:18 pm

-Ghost- wrote:Weapon changes feel pretty good so far; they're more consistently dropping enemies without feeling too powerful.

That is absolutely my biggest worry with many of the changes I've been making (It took me ages of debating myself to make the .45 pistol a Large Caliber gun instead of Small Caliber,) so I'm glad to hear that things aren't broken!

The main two things that may change in terms of what's currently present are the addition of the Special weapon category and the buffed armors for the zombie gunners. So far in my runs I'm not feeling like I'm at a completely unfair advantage when fighting groups of enemies, but that's possibly because I know all of the enemies stats by heart. I'll wait a wee while for more feedback before I make an ultimate decision on both things.
CaptainNurbles

Postby CaptainNurbles » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:57 am

So I'm right on the doorstep of considering my mod ready for its version 1.0 release! Just gotta playtest it some more to double check for any bugs or balancing issues needing addressing.

THAT SAID, I am also wondering what you people think of the weapon limiter system in place. Personally I feel that it works fine as is, giving the player the firepower they need to tackle impossible odds head on. However, I am also wondering how the mod would feel with a general weapon slot system limiting players to any combinations of X number of weapons, rather than 2 weapons per weapon type. What do you folks think?
CaptainNurbles

Postby -Ghost- » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:39 pm

Is there any way to get a durability/maintenance system or something working? It might help with some of the loadout balance as well; we have something like that for LitDoom so you're always scavenging to a degree, but a new weapon pickup is better/lasts longer than something you grab off a zombie.
-Ghost-

Postby CaptainNurbles » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:00 pm

-Ghost- wrote:Is there any way to get a durability/maintenance system or something working? It might help with some of the loadout balance as well; we have something like that for LitDoom so you're always scavenging to a degree, but a new weapon pickup is better/lasts longer than something you grab off a zombie.

EDIT: I got it basically working, but I'm not going to implement it because I don't know how to have it track the conditions of individual weapons. I got it where a weapon would break after being fired so many times, picking it up would give you a random amount of the condition health, and made a second version of the weapon giver that gives much less of the condition health. When depleted the gun breaks and you throw it on the ground. When you had 2 reloads worth of condition left a warning would be printed up.

The biggest issue is that you could just drop it and pick up another of the gun and you would have both the old and the new weapon's conditions added to your inventory. I would have to find a way to have the game track each individual weapon pickup's conditions separately and to intelligently discern between them when you pick weapons up. I know it's doable (Hideous Destructor does a similar thing where it tracks the ammunition held in individual weapons,) but that is WAY outside my skill set.

If some mad man out there wants to write up the code to execute something like that, be sure to get in contact with me and we can talk about it. But I am unable to do that by myself without learning ZScript (and I can't really be assed to do that, sorry folks.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original message below:

I doubt I'd be able to implement it as gracefully as a system like that deserves (It sounds like it'd require ZScript or ACS, neither of which I know anything about,) but I'll faff about a bit with it to see if there's a way to make it work in DECORATE. Ain't making any promises here, which is a shame because I actually do like the sound of weapon degradation.

I could probably have it work so that there's a unique inventory item that is added to the player's inventory and every time you attack with a weapon it uses one of this item. Once you run out the weapon breaks and you throw it on the ground. Quality of life addition, once you hit a certain level of degradation you'll get a warning saying your weapon is close to breaking. Weapons you find spawned on the map will give more of this item than ones dropped off zombie corpses, and the amount given would be completely randomized either way.

Additionally, weapon repair kits could be thrown in, just generic box what makes your gun last longer. Shouldn't be difficult, just "if holding X weapon, give Y amount of XWeaponCondition," but my lord that'd be some ugly code.

A more elegant solution lies within the field of ZScript, I'm certain, but that'd require me to:

A) Learn ZScript,

B) Rewrite every single weapon to convert the code into ZScript.

I'll see what I can do in DECORATE, and I'll edit this post once I figure out if it's worth doing or not.
CaptainNurbles

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.0 A Survival Horror Mod

Postby CaptainNurbles » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:05 pm

While the vote for a potentially different weapon limiter system is going on I'm going ahead and giving the mod it's proper 1.0 release. Still a couple of things I want to address, but that will come if I eventually figure out how to handle them in the first place. For the most part, I don't really have any other plans for this mod! Potentially gonna add magic weapons farther down the line if I can be assed to do so, and if the vote says to change how weapons are limited (vote is currently saying yes to that) then I'll redo the weapon limiter system. I'd honestly like to have both systems in place and have it be able to be switched via the options menu, but I haven't a clue as to how to do that. Other than that, further updates will be limited to fixing any issues I find or making sure things are good and well balanced.

Because of new ACS scripts, THIS UPDATE WILL BREAK YOUR SAVES.

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 15/1/21)

Spoiler:
Last edited by CaptainNurbles on Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainNurbles

Postby Abba Zabba » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:02 pm

Wow, big update! Perfect timing. First of all, massive props to you for this mod. It is seriously impressive, and was the style of mod I've been on the lookout for years. It's like it Hideous Destructor met Doom +, with a little Ground Branch sprinkled in (the doom mod by StatisticalHourglass, not the standalone game.)

I haven't had time yet to get a feel for everything this mod offers, but one conflict I've noticed is that the 20ga. shell box has a conflicting sprite name with a custom tree sprite in the Armaetus texture pack within ObAddon. Maybe rename it to 20GAB(ox) A0? The more specific, the less chance of a sprite conflict, while still remaining organized.

Other than that, the other thing to come to mind is one you already mentioned, of getting all ammo contents to display, particularly on that automatic rifle with the 20ga. underslug shotgun attachment. If you keep using the GZ style fullscreen HUD, maybe just have the main ammo count swap for whatever mode your in, so as to not take up too much screen real estate.

As far as suggestions go, I was thinking that this mod would greatly benefit from a (strife) ammo popup screen like what Shut Up And Bleed utilizes, as it too features a ton of ammo types. Either that or an automap HUD with similar info, like what Accessories to Murder did.
Abba Zabba

Postby CaptainNurbles » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:53 pm

Abba Zabba wrote:General Praise

Thank ye thank ya man! Glad to know I've made something that others enjoy. Funny you mention Hideous Destructor because I got the inspiration to make this after playing HDster with a buddy of mine. He said that he'd love HDster if it was a bit simpler and had more weapon variety, so I figured "why the hell not? What's the worst that could happen?"

Abba Zabba wrote:one conflict I've noticed is that the 20ga. shell box has a conflicting sprite name with a custom tree sprite in the Armaetus texture pack within ObAddon.

Noted! I'll be sure to fix that for the next update.

Abba Zabba wrote:Other than that, the other thing to come to mind is one you already mentioned, of getting all ammo contents to display, particularly on that automatic rifle with the 20ga. underslug shotgun attachment. If you keep using the GZ style fullscreen HUD, maybe just have the main ammo count swap for whatever mode your in, so as to not take up too much screen real estate.

I've spent a good bit of my day today looking around tutorials for HUDs (not for the ammo problem, ATM, something else) and it's going RIGHT over my head, sadly. I'll probably have to ask the forums for assistance there, but I do want to eventually get that taken care of.
CaptainNurbles

Postby chronoteeth » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:36 pm

honestly the only issue that we got with this mod is that a lot of the weapons dont feel too fun to use, but other than that this is super good, love it
chronoteeth
abubub

Postby CaptainNurbles » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:34 pm

Introducing the new HUD!

Took me far too long to get this taken care of, bleh. I'm still working on tweaking it to make sure it's got all the info the player needs without being too cluttered. Still a bit worried about the clutter, but I personally enjoy it.

On the left side you'll get icons showing which of the 5 permanent character upgrades you've got, not including the vitality spheres since that is reflected in your health meter. The inventory bar on the right looks nice, IMO, but I wish I could figure out how to scale it up a bit, as it is it looks too small IMO.

Also a note, the HUD only works in a 16:9 resolution. It was a nightmare figuring this shit out to get it looking like this and I honestly can't say if I can be assed to make it compatible for 5:4, 4:3, or 16:10 resolutions. Sorry lads.

This is also Fullscreen HUD only.

Posting this as a screenshot so I can get your thoughts!

And yes, there is that peculiar bit of into on the top left which should give away the big change the next update will see.
CaptainNurbles

Postby CaptainNurbles » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:51 pm

chronoteeth wrote:honestly the only issue that we got with this mod is that a lot of the weapons dont feel too fun to use, but other than that this is super good, love it

Glad to hear you enjoy it man!

What would you say could make the weapons feel more fun?
CaptainNurbles

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods