Scavver's Paradise V1.9.91 - A Survival Horror Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

WEAPON LIMITER SYSTEM: What do you think would work best?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:00 am

1) Two weapons per weapon category (As it currently is)
28%
2) Remove weapon categories and limit players to X number of any weapons regardless of size or type?
8%
3) A pseudo-weight system where weapons take up X amount of space depending on weapon size. Pistols take up little space, but rifles and launchers take up a lot more space, etc.
64%

Total votes : 36

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.9 - A Survival Horror Mod

Postby Abba Zabba » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:33 pm

These inventory and ammo menus are great, they always help in mods with lots of variety. Good call on removing the upgrade icons in favor of that.

When the speedloaders get fixed, do you plan on making reload default check for loaded speedloaders first, and if not, load loose cartridges by hand?

Recommend making the adrenal boost match the painkiller's 20% damage reduction, or even grant a bit more at 30%, that way it can provide the same or better protection for a shorter time, as more often than not I save them and just use pills instead, as I don't need the speed boost of the rare item.

Bug: the alt-fire on the dark matter generator is causing a VM execution abort error when it pulls you in and kills you. Fairly creepy funny enough.
Abba Zabba

Postby CaptainNurbles » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:00 am

Abba Zabba wrote:When the speedloaders get fixed, do you plan on making reload default check for loaded speedloaders first, and if not, load loose cartridges by hand?

Ain't a bad idea, actually. I'll give that a poke some time.

Abba Zabba wrote:Recommend making the adrenal boost match the painkiller's 20% damage reduction, or even grant a bit more at 30%, that way it can provide the same or better protection for a shorter time, as more often than not I save them and just use pills instead, as I don't need the speed boost of the rare item.

I don't want the adrenal boost to be ~too~ powerful compared to the pain killers, but I also may wind up just boosting the resistance bonuses for the boost, the painkillers, and the berserk pack altogether to make them more useful overall. Probably 20% for boost, 25% for pain killers, and 30% for the zerk stim. With the boost item I'd intended it to be handy for wide open firefights with lots of room for you to quickly zip around, jab yourself to help get you to safety during a tactical retreat, that sorta thing.

Abba Zabba wrote:Bug: the alt-fire on the dark matter generator is causing a VM execution abort error when it pulls you in and kills you. Fairly creepy funny enough.

Ain't caused by the dark matter gun itself, but instead from how I implemented void deaths. Was caused by the use of FadeOut in the Player's Void.Death sequence. If the player character fully fades out that way it crashes the instance. Since the new update utilizes Void damage a lot more than before (ominous foreshadowing!) this has already been fixed by using transparency shifting instead. One thing I have noticed with transparency shifting tho is that if you use the Resurrect command after being voided out you'll be fully invisible. I wonder how that would pan out in coop if you get killed from void damage and respawn.
CaptainNurbles

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Abba Zabba » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:34 pm

Sounds neat, and good to know! Something I forgot to ask however, is why the inventory system allows for two copies of permanent reusable items, such as the NVGs and the cloaking device? From what I can see, you don't get a longer lasting cloak from having two of them (would be sort of nice, admittedly, but it wanders into OP territory) and obviously two NVGs don't boost or amplify the brightness as that wouldn't make sense. Just an oversight, then? Maybe intended for coop where you can save a spare for a buddy?
Abba Zabba

Postby CaptainNurbles » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:46 pm

Abba Zabba wrote:Guff about NV and stealth boy.

That's just cause I'm shit at this whole "making mods" thing lol. In order to get reusable items functional like that I basically had the item have a max inv size of 2, and when they're used it simultaneously gives you an extra unit of that item at the same time it uses the item. If the MaxInventoryAmount was set to 1 it would just disappear on use. I haven't fixed that yet cause it's a minor issue and there's many more quality of life things to fix (such as having ammo scrapped from functional/broke guns being deposited directly in your inventory if you have the space.) To fix the NV/Stealth Boy would be easy, just add a check on the Pickup state to fail if you already have the item. I'll throw that onto the pile of things what need fixing.

I think this is gonna be the legit 2.0 release of the mod just cause it's fixing several issues that really need fixing (tho some still remain and will remain) and compared to the 1.0 release, this is a whole different beast. Still gonna take some time to drop cause I've got several things I'm working on, ranging from new monsters and the general sound project, to improved attack patterns for certain enemies, to ~attempting~ the corpse looting thing, and finagling with adding and removing some weapons and THEN some. No planned release date atm.
CaptainNurbles

Postby Abba Zabba » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:20 pm

Bug: Rifle zombies still drop .45 ACP pistol mags despite already not using the .45 Colt Retro.

Next update sounds like a doozy! Was going to suggest buffing projectile throwing monsters to launch their projectiles at higher speeds, as I noticed that even if a wad mostly has hellspawn rather than zombies, where I opt for fireproof armor, I still have quite an easy time dodging their attacks without using the step dodge command.
Abba Zabba

Postby CaptainNurbles » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:12 pm

Abba Zabba wrote:Bug: Rifle zombies still drop .45 ACP pistol mags despite already not using the .45 Colt Retro.

Ain't a bug, is intentional. Zombies have a chance to drop ammo for their main weapon, and if their main weapon is a longarm then they also have a chance to drop tiered handgun ammo, as a way to help keep the player stocked with a decent supply of ammunition. Police shotgunners, double barreled shotgunners, and SMG zombies have a chance to drop 9mm ammo. The rifle zombie has a chance to drop a .45 magazine since the ammo is otherwise incredibly rare. Zombies on the chaingunner spawn have a chance to drop 10mm handgun mags. This was done to help me out with balancing the frequency the player can encounter over 20 different types of ammo and to make sure nothing is useless from how rare the ammo is.

If I can find a way to make a good corpse looting system I'll be able to expand on that a little better. Currently got something functional in DECORATE (Just a CustomInventory item located where the corpse lands, and when you Use it it just runs some random chances for loot depending on what the zombie is, with several unique messages if it's nothing), but my main road block there is figuring out how to tie the corpse looting item to a corpse and have it disappear upon resurrection by an archvile. I'd love to look into a corpse looting system like in the "Ugly As Sin" addon for Hideous Destructor but that is likely way outside my skillset.
CaptainNurbles

Postby CaptainNurbles » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:22 am

Just a quick update since it's been a good while since an update has been released!

Things are shaping up well over here, with a release date coming up sooner and sooner. Most major tweaks that I've been working on are finished. Mostly just need to tweak another monster to make sure it's balanced fairly, finish the monster sound revamp (that's been put on hold for some time as I had several other things come up that I wanted to work on, including the ability to remove armor and making the armor repair tool much more useful,) and finish making the non-BFG energy weapons more useful and fun to use. Lots of nice quality of life things have been done and I hope that it translates into a more enjoyable experience all around.
CaptainNurbles

Postby Abba Zabba » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:11 pm

Sounds great! Quality of life changes add up considerably. How exactly is the armor repair tool being revamped? From what I've noticed, it seems rarer than finding several permanent upgrades most playthroughs.
Abba Zabba

Postby CaptainNurbles » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:50 am

Abba Zabba wrote:How exactly is the armor repair tool being revamped?

Rather than being a quick hotkey that uses up a whole battery for 20 points of armor, it's a wieldable weapon bound to slot 0. Press the fire button, you get a prompt telling you how much percent of the battery a single repair will do. You can press alt fire to decline, or fire to confirm and repair your armor some. How much is repaired and how much of your battery it takes depends on the armor. Currently the basic ballistic-weave jacket repairs 20 points for 5%, whereas the enormous, bulky, and complex marine armor repairs 50 points of armor for 25% of your battery. Once your battery runs out you reload it like you would a regular firearm, tossing a spent battery out and slapping a fresh one in. Doing it this way means you can get more mileage out of the repair charges especially in the late game. Rather than using 5 entire batteries to repair a suit of combat armor by 100 points, you can use 80% of one battery to bring it to full repair.

To compliment this, I had turned the old armor repair hotkey into an armor removal hotkey. Due to the limitations of DECORATE removing the armor when not at full condition will result in the player destroying it. The only way to get around that in DECORATE is to make a ton of clones of each armor type that spawns depending on how much armor you have (for example, 60 copies of the weave jacket that when picked up gives you between 1 to 60 points of armor.) I may toy around with being able to carry armor with you, but I feel like that may be a little ~too~ convenient in a survival horror mod.

I have also made the repairer batteries even rarer than they currently are since you get so much more mileage out of it. To balance this further, I've changed how many batteries you can carry from 5 to 4 without a backpack, 6 with a backpack. In my initial playtesting with the revamped repairer I was able to make a single suit of marine armor last several levels cause I was able to keep a good supply of batteries. Still playing around with this, but I'm enjoying it a lot more than the old repairer system.

In terms of the update, things are very close to being finished. I just need to finish a few more monsters' sound effects and then play test more and more to hunt for bugs, exploits, and to ensure that everything is balanced well.
CaptainNurbles

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.9.9 - A Survival Horror Mod

Postby CaptainNurbles » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:08 am

I'm going ahead and pushing an early release on the mod! The main thing left are a few monster sounds anyway, functionally it's working alright for me with no pending issues. The reason why I'm pushing it now instead of just finishing it is because I've unfortunately wound up dislocating my arm and fracturing it in the process, which greatly impacts my ability to continue work on the mod. Plus means I can get feedback quicker and continue to make things better once I've healed.

I've done my absolute best to keep my credits list as up to date as I can, but I feel like there might be at least one thing I've forgotten. Please be sure to get in touch if I did forget to credit you!

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 30/7/21)

Changelog (and boy is this one a mess):
Spoiler:
Last edited by CaptainNurbles on Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainNurbles

Postby Somagu » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:54 pm

Enjoying the update so far, I should probably let you know that Wraith is a monster type already defined in gzdoom.pk3 It's a hexen monster, which means any time the random spawner picks a Wraith, it's gonna spawn an "invisible" fireball-shooting monster from a game that isn't loaded, rather than the lost soul replacement.
Somagu

Postby CaptainNurbles » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:12 pm

Shit, thank! Was a last minute name change to get rid of its previous placeholder name.

Quick hotfix here! Shouldn't break saves.

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 31/7/21)
CaptainNurbles

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods