Scavver's Paradise V1.9.9.4 - A Survival Horror Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

WEAPON LIMITER SYSTEM: What do you think would work best?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:00 am

1) Two weapons per weapon category (As it currently is)
28%
2) Remove weapon categories and limit players to X number of any weapons regardless of size or type?
8%
3) A pseudo-weight system where weapons take up X amount of space depending on weapon size. Pistols take up little space, but rifles and launchers take up a lot more space, etc.
64%

Total votes : 36

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.9 - A Survival Horror Mod

Postby drfrag » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:37 pm

Now it's working in LZDoom.
drfrag
Os voy a romper a pedazos!
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Postby CaptainNurbles » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:46 pm

Good progress is being made on the monster front. Working hard on balancing a new type of monster that you'll be facing, the new sounds for monsters are doing wonders to lean into the hopeless, oppressive tone of the mod, and the new changes I've been making to existing monsters are pretty dang effective in terms of making critters more dangerous. This is going to take me some time, however, since I'm having to work hard on making sure the new content works well with existing content.
CaptainNurbles

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby -Ghost- » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:10 pm

Sounds good! Making them scarier and creepier will definitely help with the horror atmosphere. Even just a simple change to their idle noises can make a big difference when they're wandering around in another room.
-Ghost-

Postby CaptainNurbles » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:03 pm

I've not finished the full NPC roster's sound effects, especially considering the new critters I'm throwing in as well. I'm trying to avoid using nothing but sounds from Doom 3 though, so if any of you know of any games with good monster sound design and a place where I can quickly and easily obtain the sound effects, please throw some suggestions my way! I've got a few different game sources I've been working with, but the more the merrier (I'm particularly looking for good sounding female zombie noises that aren't just generic moaning sounds lol.)
CaptainNurbles

Postby Yebudoom » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:43 pm

Glad you're still working on the mod, because I've just discovered it and fell in love. It's hard as fuck for me and kicks my ass all the time, but somehow I keep coming back to it.

I'd love to see some kind of backstab system here. You know, like in RPG games: a huge bonus to melee damage, if you manage to attack an unaware monster from behind.

All in all, keep it up!
Yebudoom

Postby -Ghost- » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:14 pm

CaptainNurbles wrote:I've not finished the full NPC roster's sound effects, especially considering the new critters I'm throwing in as well. I'm trying to avoid using nothing but sounds from Doom 3 though, so if any of you know of any games with good monster sound design and a place where I can quickly and easily obtain the sound effects, please throw some suggestions my way! I've got a few different game sources I've been working with, but the more the merrier (I'm particularly looking for good sounding female zombie noises that aren't just generic moaning sounds lol.)

System Shock, Darkwood, Resident Evil, Thief, Condemned, FEAR. I've actually got a bunch since I'm a dev for LitDoom, so let me know if you'd like for me to PM you some of the ripped sounds.
-Ghost-

Postby CaptainNurbles » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:42 pm

Just to give you a quick overlook as to the progress that's been made!

Meet the new Ammo Menu! Make a bind for your Strife Weapons/Status menu and see how much ammo you have for every ammo type. It does show up a bit on the smaller side ingame, but my attempts to make one that fits with the game's aesthetic that is much larger that still looks fine have thus far been unsuccessful.

Personally I think it works fine. Clean, shows all the info you need, nothing more nor less, and fits within Doom's aesthetic.

I've also been working on smaller improvements to things. Menu now uses a new font and has a custom, if simple, header. New sound effects when accessing the menu as well. Intermission text for The Ultimate Doom/Doom 2/TNT/Plutonia has been added as well. On that subject, adding a handful of new data logs to be read as well.

Good progress is being made on monsters. With that I'm taking turns between "find sounds for monster and apply them," "add some new monsters where necessary," and "improve attack patterns of existing monsters to make them exciting and threatening." You'll find the imps in particular have been given a good bit of work, and rightfully so given their frequency in the majority of Doom maps. Darker colors to their hides, new sprites for the warrior as well. Imp Infestors have been made more threatening by the inclusion of a volley of miniature fireballs. Warriors now charge at you for multiple slashes. Brawlers still pack a helluva whollop and can dodge around when in pain.

Zombies are also getting some work to have a more varied series of attack patterns, particularly with the gunners. Melee zombies attack faster, are more aggressive, and move notably quicker than before to make them an actual threat in melee combat. Important to note, I've also been taking the zombies with alternate weapon selections (SMG/Carbine zombie, 9mm police pistol/9mm auto pistol zombie, 9mm rifle/.357 rifle zombie, etc) and splitting them into two separate counterparts. The chance for a zombie with an alternate weapon to spawn in place of a standard zombie is still the same so in terms of functionality, works basically the same. But now it is significantly easier to tell what a zombie is wielding at a quick glance. No more hoping that that rifle zombie's only packing a 9mm rifle when it is actually carrying the .357!

What lurks in the shadows?
CaptainNurbles

Postby Abba Zabba » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:27 am

Whoa, must have missed version 1.9 somehow. Guess my sprite adjustments are going out the window :)

Lots of changes and additions to go over. Understand the change to limit throwables to just frag grenades, having one of all these different variants just killed your weight limit. I take it you also took out mines? Those were fairly useful.

Did healing get changed from a powerup to a state of healing the player for a given amount for every given duration of tics?

Also, thank you for the revolver speedloaders. I'll consider it now for a long term sidearm. Also lol at the healy dan being excluded from spawns for an indefinite amount of time. Great work!
Abba Zabba

Postby CaptainNurbles » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:01 am

Abba Zabba wrote:I take it you also took out mines? Those were fairly useful.

They're still in the code and if you use IDKFA you'll be given landmines, I just took them out of the spawns because I want to basically replace them with an alternate function for the hand grenades. Essentially what I had in mind was being able to turn the spikes on and have it act like a landmine that sticks to any surface you throw it at, but I currently haven't a clue how to do that lol. Keeping the landmine assets and code in for now in case I can frankencode something up from that. Once I get something figured out for the spike grenades I'll remove the landmine assets proper.

Abba Zabba wrote:Did healing get changed from a powerup to a state of healing the player for a given amount for every given duration of tics?

I'd do that if I knew how to lol.

Abba Zabba wrote:Also lol at the healy dan being excluded from spawns for an indefinite amount of time.

I AM A PROFESSIONAL
CaptainNurbles

Postby Abba Zabba » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:17 am

CaptainNurbles wrote:
Abba Zabba wrote:I take it you also took out mines? Those were fairly useful.

They're still in the code and if you use IDKFA you'll be given landmines, I just took them out of the spawns because I want to basically replace them with an alternate function for the hand grenades. Essentially what I had in mind was being able to turn the spikes on and have it act like a landmine that sticks to any surface you throw it at, but I currently haven't a clue how to do that lol. Keeping the landmine assets and code in for now in case I can frankencode something up from that. Once I get something figured out for the spike grenades I'll remove the landmine assets proper.

That sounds amazing, love the multi-functionality concept. On top of that, you'd be able to stick them up high to deal with cacos and other flying enemies that love to patrol walls at higher elevations when you're at an elevated position as well.

CaptainNurbles wrote:
Abba Zabba wrote:Did healing get changed from a powerup to a state of healing the player for a given amount for every given duration of tics?

I'd do that if I knew how to lol.

Oh, right. I did a bit of looking and it seems that HealThing might be just what's needed. Wondering if this could work, if bandages heal 1 point a second, for 10 seconds:

Spoiler: Bandage Heal

But then rolled into a different state. I need to read some more and see how Heretic does it. Cool Strife ammo popup screen use!
Abba Zabba

Postby CaptainNurbles » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:00 am

Abba Zabba wrote:Oh, right. I did a bit of looking and it seems that HealThing might be just what's needed. Wondering if this could work, if bandages heal 1 point a second, for 10 seconds:

Spoiler: Bandage Heal

Giving that a looksie right now, and currently it's just healing the player instantly. CustomInventory items perform every action instantly regardless of how many tics you tell it to take. May wind up making a forum post for this to see if the public may be able to help me figure it out.
CaptainNurbles

Postby Abba Zabba » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:43 am

It's worth a shot. I doubt it's difficult, I'm just not sure where to look. I've searched a few times and couldn't find a solid comparison for the desired effect.

New update is quite nice! Frags being the main (and only) throwable along with the removal of their weight has made me actually use them instead of when I ran out of ammo. Quick toss has saved me a few times now. Quick kick as well! However, quick kick doesn't work on the frags when you select them properly.

New sounds are quality, and the custom casing sprites fit the mod well. Noticed that 12ga and 20ga shot shells are still using the beta doom sprites, do you plan on making a custom version of those, too? (along with the shotgun slugs and dragon's breath to be)
Abba Zabba

Postby CaptainNurbles » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:12 am

Abba Zabba wrote:However, quick kick doesn't work on the frags when you select them properly.

Caught that just the other day, actually. Fixed for the upcoming update.

Abba Zabba wrote:Noticed that 12ga and 20ga shot shells are still using the beta doom sprites, do you plan on making a custom version of those, too?

The main reason why I left them as they were is because by the time I got done cutting all the other casing sprites out of the sheet provided by Captain J I couldn't be assed into repeating it for the shells lol. Probably gonna give that a go before the update.

Abba Zabba wrote:(along with the shotgun slugs and dragon's breath to be)

That's a feature I may wind up not implementing. I'm keeping it for the rocket launcher since it is absolutely necessary for the player to have explosive rockets if they ever want to beat the Icon of Sin fight (good luck arcing grenades in the hole) but A) implementing it for the rocket was an absolute mess and it's a miracle it works, and B) With how I was able to implement it on the rocket launcher, there's an issue in that even if you don't have any HEAT rockets you can still swap ammo types and doing so gives you a free rocket if you're out. (Related, there is a similar error with the speedloaders in that you can fill empty speed loaders even if you don't have the minimum requirement of 6 rounds. What I may wind up doing for that is have the speedloader filler be an equippable thing, using fire and altfire to load and unload bullets individually into a speedloader. I also may do something similar to the armor repair tool where you have to manually equip it to use it. Lots of toying around to do.)

Getting the ammo swap feature to function for 7 shotguns, a master key, and a crossbow is going to be a metric pain in the ass and will result in tons of spaghetti code. I'll still give it a go in the future, but no guarantees from the king of lazy here.
CaptainNurbles

Postby Abba Zabba » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:16 pm

I understand if you wind up ditching the alternate shell types, there's already a ton of weaponry and ammunition variations.

Forgot to say that bandage counts would benefit from being bumped from 20 to 40 so you can carry ten rolls of the stuff; it's bulk, slow, bread and butter healing, and you don't want to leave that behind in a tough as nails mod. It's compact when tightly wound, and already quite lightweight.

What do you think about making the taze fist silent to monsters, since it's not particularly loud?

Bug: forgot to mention this AS WELL (curse this short term memory of mine,) frag grenades do not alert monsters. Potentially the case with other explosives.
Abba Zabba

Postby CaptainNurbles » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:17 pm

Abba Zabba wrote:Forgot to say that bandage counts would benefit from being bumped from 20 to 40 so you can carry ten rolls of the stuff; it's bulk, slow, bread and butter healing, and you don't want to leave that behind in a tough as nails mod. It's compact when tightly wound, and already quite lightweight.

I'll toy around with it, but that usually doesn't come up as too much an issue in my playtesting. I am, however, halving the amount of time it takes to heal since it is a pain waiting ten seconds per use of the bandage. If I can figure out how to make healing items heal faster than X amount per second I'll give the other healing items a similar treatment.

Abba Zabba wrote:What do you think about making the taze fist silent to monsters, since it's not particularly loud?

In my head they'd be able to hear the electric zaps from the prongs going off. I don't think it'd matter too much as the majority of melee weapons are already silent, figured it wouldn't hurt for the powered melee weapons to be too loud for stealth.

Abba Zabba wrote:Bug: forgot to mention this AS WELL (curse this short term memory of mine,) frag grenades do not alert monsters. Potentially the case with other explosives.

Probably the case with all explosives, given that it's not exactly something I'd considered lol. Appreciate ya letting me know.

----------------------------

Production is slowing down for now (I have become way too addicted to Deus Ex omg). I'm about 2/3rds the way through replacing monster sounds, still gotta mess with making zombies with alt weapon types their own separate monster (got like 3 or 4 left) as well as adding a handful of extra critters, including new bosses, and I am planning on replacing a couple of weapons with something that's a bit more useful while still fitting within the spirit of the mod. I also plan on expanding armor repairing some! Rather than repairing X amount per Y battery charge, I'm thinking about doing something similar to Hideous Destructor's medigun, making it a tool you wield with your hands rather than a quick hotkey item that requires a certain amount of charge depending on what type of armor you have. Weak armors can have be restored a lot with little charge, but tougher armors require more of your battery.

I'm also expanding on the ammo menu by adding an upgrade menu, that way part of your screen ain't covered up by a constant reminder that you do indeed have brass knuckles. I wanna do a third menu that shows you how protective your currently worn armor is, that way you don't have to constantly refer to the PDA if you're curious how protective an armor is, but that will require some work and some help from the forums.

CaptainNurbles

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods