Scavver's Paradise V1.8 - A Survival Horror Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

WEAPON LIMITER SYSTEM: What do you think would work best?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:00 am

1) Two weapons per weapon category (As it currently is)
28%
2) Remove weapon categories and limit players to X number of any weapons regardless of size or type?
8%
3) A pseudo-weight system where weapons take up X amount of space depending on weapon size. Pistols take up little space, but rifles and launchers take up a lot more space, etc.
64%

Total votes : 36

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.8 - A Survival Horror Mod

Postby Abba Zabba » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:24 pm

Spoiler: yuge text
Abba Zabba

Postby Sartana » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:10 pm

I had a small suggestion re:armor the player doesn't plan to use, either because it's a step down from their current gear or its stats not being what the player is looking for.

Maybe we could interact with it with the "scrap weapon" state active and turn them into an "armor patch" that instantly restores a little of your current armor's durability. Perhaps a static number, or more ideally, a number based on the tier of the scrapped armor. My thinking was 10 or 15 points per tier. Scrapping a ballistic jacket would give you 10 or 15 points of durability. Scrapping a marine armor would be worth 50 or 75 points.

It just seems a shame to leave armor behind, especially late-game when you have good armor that you'd rather try to keep.
Sartana

Postby CaptainNurbles » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:30 pm

It's going to be a long trip to getting everything I've planned for version 2.0 finished and fine tuned. Before I can start this journey off properly, I've done a bit of cleanup duty to make things look and feel a bit nicer.

Nothing super meaty's been worked on so far, mostly just new sprites for the revolver, .22 WMR pistol, and the burst carbine, with the LMG being worked into a lighter SAW. Also new bullet casings, and most importantly, improvements to the revolver. I think currently the revolver is the most mechanically complicated weapon in the mod, since you've got a firing state, an alt fire sequence that speeds up the firing state, two different reload states, and several under-the-hood workings to make it all work just fine. Getting it to spit out all spent casings at once when reloading was a RIGHT pain in the ass to fix up, lemme tell you.

What wasn't pointed out specifically is all the tweaks I've made to many weapons to make things that much more balanced, not to mention several fixes (The 7.62mm battle rifle is so rare it took me til recently to realize that shooting grenades with it also spends a round of 7.62mm ammo and also spits a 7.62mm casing in the process.) Constant work is going into fine tuning the item spawn pools, particularly the weapons and especially ammo. When you've got so many different unique types of ammunition available and only have 8 ingame Things that are ammo pickups, making sure that every weapon gets just as much ammo as it needs is a real pain in the ass.

Hopefully next time I'll have more to actually show. Progress is going to be slowed since I'm now back in the work force, and unlike my last job I won't be able to code during down time. Planning on doing even more writing as well. So far I've added 16 more data logs that can be found and read, and plan on adding more as ideas come along. I'll also be working hard on getting alternate ammo types implemented for shotguns and the crossbow, give them more versatility and more reason to hold onto them outside of their common ammo.

Spoiler: Replies
CaptainNurbles

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods