Scavver's Paradise V1.9.9.4 - A Survival Horror Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

WEAPON LIMITER SYSTEM: What do you think would work best?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:00 am

1) Two weapons per weapon category (As it currently is)
28%
2) Remove weapon categories and limit players to X number of any weapons regardless of size or type?
8%
3) A pseudo-weight system where weapons take up X amount of space depending on weapon size. Pistols take up little space, but rifles and launchers take up a lot more space, etc.
64%

Total votes : 36

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.8 - A Survival Horror Mod

Postby Abba Zabba » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:24 pm

Spoiler: yuge text
Abba Zabba

Postby Sartana » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:10 pm

I had a small suggestion re:armor the player doesn't plan to use, either because it's a step down from their current gear or its stats not being what the player is looking for.

Maybe we could interact with it with the "scrap weapon" state active and turn them into an "armor patch" that instantly restores a little of your current armor's durability. Perhaps a static number, or more ideally, a number based on the tier of the scrapped armor. My thinking was 10 or 15 points per tier. Scrapping a ballistic jacket would give you 10 or 15 points of durability. Scrapping a marine armor would be worth 50 or 75 points.

It just seems a shame to leave armor behind, especially late-game when you have good armor that you'd rather try to keep.
Sartana

Postby CaptainNurbles » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:30 pm

It's going to be a long trip to getting everything I've planned for version 2.0 finished and fine tuned. Before I can start this journey off properly, I've done a bit of cleanup duty to make things look and feel a bit nicer.

Nothing super meaty's been worked on so far, mostly just new sprites for the revolver, .22 WMR pistol, and the burst carbine, with the LMG being worked into a lighter SAW. Also new bullet casings, and most importantly, improvements to the revolver. I think currently the revolver is the most mechanically complicated weapon in the mod, since you've got a firing state, an alt fire sequence that speeds up the firing state, two different reload states, and several under-the-hood workings to make it all work just fine. Getting it to spit out all spent casings at once when reloading was a RIGHT pain in the ass to fix up, lemme tell you.

What wasn't pointed out specifically is all the tweaks I've made to many weapons to make things that much more balanced, not to mention several fixes (The 7.62mm battle rifle is so rare it took me til recently to realize that shooting grenades with it also spends a round of 7.62mm ammo and also spits a 7.62mm casing in the process.) Constant work is going into fine tuning the item spawn pools, particularly the weapons and especially ammo. When you've got so many different unique types of ammunition available and only have 8 ingame Things that are ammo pickups, making sure that every weapon gets just as much ammo as it needs is a real pain in the ass.

Hopefully next time I'll have more to actually show. Progress is going to be slowed since I'm now back in the work force, and unlike my last job I won't be able to code during down time. Planning on doing even more writing as well. So far I've added 16 more data logs that can be found and read, and plan on adding more as ideas come along. I'll also be working hard on getting alternate ammo types implemented for shotguns and the crossbow, give them more versatility and more reason to hold onto them outside of their common ammo.

Spoiler: Replies
CaptainNurbles

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby -Ghost- » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:43 pm

Nice! I think focusing on upgrading the aesthetics is a good idea, particularly the weapons. Any plans to take another pass at the HUD?
-Ghost-

Postby CaptainNurbles » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:09 pm

-Ghost- wrote:Nice! I think focusing on upgrading the aesthetics is a good idea, particularly the weapons. Any plans to take another pass at the HUD?

Probably won't be making too many modifications to the HUD. Might reduce the size of some of the icons that pop up, and might change how weapons with alternate ammo (5.45mm/7.62mm rifles, rocket launcher, revolver's speed loaders, as well as others once I add alt. ammo for them) display on the HUD so that it takes up less screen real estate. How would you say I could improve it?
CaptainNurbles

Postby -Ghost- » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:11 pm

I think mainly just decreasing the size of everything a bit, but that could depend on people's resolution, too. Maybe find some good replacements for the HP/armor icons so they look a bit less default Doom next to the weapon icons.

Something to make it a bit more survival horror-ish, somehow, like some thin borders and such to help organize them better while keeping them out of the way. I'm not really sure, to be honest, beyond less is probably better to give it that immersive horror vibe.
-Ghost-

Postby CaptainNurbles » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:33 am

Apologies for the lack of updates! Long story short, the drive to keep modding has kinda fizzled out, unfortunately. What I'll probably wind up doing is tack on a few quality of life improvements over what I've currently got, improve balancing even further, and fix the bugs that I've noticed while play testing and release that as one last update before I put this on hiatus. I ain't giving up on this forever, just gonna pull the breaks here while I work on getting out of this modding burnout.
CaptainNurbles

Postby Abba Zabba » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:01 pm

I take it the burnout has struck in full?
Abba Zabba

Postby CaptainNurbles » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:54 pm

Abba Zabba wrote:I take it the burnout has struck in full?

Pretty much lol. I've spent some time on some bug fixes, but I plan on trying to get at least some work done soon on making a couple of features better, as well as toying around with a weapon replacement.
CaptainNurbles

Postby CaptainNurbles » Mon May 24, 2021 10:23 am

Just a heads up, I have started working on getting more work done with the mod. Many of the previously planned features won't be making it in just cause I ain't got the patience nor skill to implement it, so this upcoming update will mostly just be quality of life, bug fixes, and a few niceties such as more rotations for magazine sprites and such. Gonna be pacing myself this time to prevent burnout, but nevertheless I do plan on at least getting a dedicated quick grenade and quick kick button done up for all weapons!

NINJA EDIT SO AS TO NOT SPAM: Expect an update soon, turns out the big ticket things that I thought would take a long time only took me like a day to do. Now it's just quality of life things. The desire to add visual flare such as gunsmoke and impact particles is there, but I ain't exactly great at the spriting thing, and I also don't have the patience lol. I plan on releasing this final update some time before Friday, to give me time to play test it, finalize the balancing of supplies, and catch any last minute bugs or issues that I haven't yet caught. Just in the past two days I've caught so many things that needed improving or fixing!
CaptainNurbles

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.9 - A Survival Horror Mod

Postby CaptainNurbles » Fri May 28, 2021 5:07 pm

BIIIIIIG UPDATE. And probably the last one, outside of major bug fixes. (EDIT: This is a lie. After working on a bit of bug fixing for a hotfix I was gonna post I decided "Fuck it, let's improve the monsters some." The zombies that have a chance to spawn with an alt weapon are planned to be split up, eg. an SMG zombie and a separate carbine zombie with different sprites. Also adding new sounds to as many monsters as I can, to lean into the horror side of the mod, as well as new sprites, behaviors, and new monsters altogether.

Been working hard to polish this mod out as best as I can, fixing as many issues as I could, including some quality of life things that the mod should have included since Day 1, and so much more. This is the last update for the mod that I plan on posting as I've basically done everything with it that I can. There are definitely issues that could be worked on, but I've tried and they're just outside of my skillset. A large amount of what I had initially planned for the mod simply didn't make it in because either A) Too complicated, would have been a mess of spaghetti code, or simply something I do not know how to do, B) Just not a good idea overall, or C) Couldn't be assed. I do regret making promises for new features such as alt ammo for certain weapons, legendary quality weapons, etc, but heck, what I've got now is plenty fine as it is. Better to keep it simple than to bloat it with too many features, eh? Especially when I don't know what I'm doing. However, I also may add more data logs for players to read, so if I do come up with more story ideas I'll definitely upload updates for more writing.

I will be checking the forum thread regularly, though, in case there's any bugs or anything that I've missed! I definitely don't want the last release to have outstanding issues, so if you do catch any issues please bring them up, and I'll have a hotfix done up ASAP. Just be sure to reference the Known Issues tab on the main post.

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 28/5/21)

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Last edited by CaptainNurbles on Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainNurbles

Postby slyrboi » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:20 pm

Is there no fix for LZDoom? Or am i missing things out?
slyrboi

Postby CaptainNurbles » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:27 pm

Just tested the mod with the latest version of LZDoom. Apparently the crashing issue is with the medical harness's abilities, since LZDoom isn't apparently using the latest version of ZScript.

Unfortunately, since the code for the medical harness is somebody else's and I know bugger all about ZScript, the only solution I can come up with would be to delete the offending code. Either that or ask the original code author to modify it to work with LZDoom. It'll be a lil' bit before I can get to it but I can upload an LZDoom friendly version of the mod without the harness in it to solve the problem.
CaptainNurbles

Postby slyrboi » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:36 am

CaptainNurbles wrote:Just tested the mod with the latest version of LZDoom. Apparently the crashing issue is with the medical harness's abilities, since LZDoom isn't apparently using the latest version of ZScript.

Unfortunately, since the code for the medical harness is somebody else's and I know bugger all about ZScript, the only solution I can come up with would be to delete the offending code. Either that or ask the original code author to modify it to work with LZDoom. It'll be a lil' bit before I can get to it but I can upload an LZDoom friendly version of the mod without the harness in it to solve the problem.

Alright neat, but where to find the code? LZDoom only stated the error as "2 errors while parsing DECORATE scripts".
slyrboi

Postby CaptainNurbles » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:56 am

That would be "ZScript/healydan.zc" (shocked I haven't been smacked for that godawful pun) which has the offending code. To fully remove the medical harness you'd have to delete HealyDan.zc, then mosey over to ZScript.zc in the root folder and remove the following line:

#include "zscript/HealyDan.zc"

That will fix the LZDoom crashing. I never use LZDoom myself so I never caught that issue myself.

I'll be sure to post an LZDoom friendly version of the mod soonish, I've caught a few bugs and errors while playing casually and I wanna try to catch more before posting a hot fix.
CaptainNurbles

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods