[Gameplay Overhaul] Storm's Combat Overhaul Mod 1.1

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[Gameplay Overhaul] Storm's Combat Overhaul Mod 1.1

Postby XLightningStormL » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:02 am

A rather small gameplay mod that seeks to address some of my concerns with the gameplay, as well as a small flesh out of weapons (based on Alpha concepts) primarily this mod addresses issues with hitscanners, and pseudo-random number generation, which has the tendency to make balance inconsistent and rather unfair, simply because this little RPG element was thrown in because iD liked D&D so much. Balance for this, every weapon/monster attack/etc will be averaged out to "damage x 4" for monsters, weapons will have entirely custom damage depending what works for it best.

Essentially it makes Doom a tad more "fair", as well as skill-based versus chance

Compatible with all map-only mods, but mods that add custom weapons (or replace default ones) will not work, custom projectile enemies will still have random damage, and hitscanners will have both random damage, and hitscans. "Special" actors such as Keens, and Wolfenstein are left untouched (at least for now)

Note: This mod doesn't really make the game "more or less easy" Arachnotrons can fire 5 plasma balls and kill you, Riflemen Zombies aren't pushovers if you focus on projectile zombies first either (20 damage!) chaingunners can still be a complete pain if you can't dodge those bullets or get caught in CQB, etc.

Features
Spoiler:

Credits
Spoiler:

Changelog
Spoiler:

Download
Spoiler:
Last edited by XLightningStormL on Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
XLightningStormL
Former DUSK Wiki Master

Discord: XLightningStormL#7461
Twitch ID: XLightmingStormL

Re: [Gameplay Overhaul] Storm's Combat Overhaul Mod

Postby StroggVorbis » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:46 am

Already have a bug to report. Upon loading a map, the console said Spectre2 has no frames. After spawning said Spectre2, I was killed by invisible ranged projectiles and got the obituary "Player got poisoned by a serpent".
Seems like you accidentally replaced the spectres with brown chaos serpents from Hexen.

Edit:
-The shotgun's fire seems to be a tad delayed. The shots only come out once the muzzle flash has fully played.
-Same with the SSG.
-Rifle ammo boxes give no ammo at all. Well, they do give vanilla clip ammo, but it's used by neither of the mod's weapons. So it's essentially unusable.
-The Rocket Launcher can't be selected.
-Of all the hitscan weapons, the machinegun only has horizontal spread and its recoil is inverted. Meaning your view gets pushed down instead of up.
-Backpacks contains 20 rifle ammo instead of 10 like regular pickups for some reason.
StroggVorbis
Donut eat me pls!

Discord: StroggVorbis#2466
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [Gameplay Overhaul] Storm's Combat Overhaul Mod Version

Postby XLightningStormL » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:00 pm

StroggVorbis wrote:Already have a bug to report. Upon loading a map, the console said Spectre2 has no frames. After spawning said Spectre2, I was killed by invisible ranged projectiles and got the obituary "Player got poisoned by a serpent".
Seems like you accidentally replaced the spectres with brown chaos serpents from Hexen.

Edit:
-The shotgun's fire seems to be a tad delayed. The shots only come out once the muzzle flash has fully played.
-Same with the SSG.
-Rifle ammo boxes give no ammo at all. Well, they do give vanilla clip ammo, but it's used by neither of the mod's weapons. So it's essentially unusable.
-The Rocket Launcher can't be selected.
-Of all the hitscan weapons, the machinegun only has horizontal spread and its recoil is inverted. Meaning your view gets pushed down instead of up.
-Backpacks contains 20 rifle ammo instead of 10 like regular pickups for some reason.

- Yeah GZDooms weird with Demons and Spectres, had to refer to (now both) with the S suffix instead of 2.
- I knew something was off, but from memory that's how it is by default. But considering how clunky it feels, its gone.
- Ditto
- Fixed - oversight (does explain why there was always never rifle ammo boxes)
- Funny thing is, I lampshaded this exactly happening, and guess what? I completely forgot about it lol.
- Working as Intended.
- Fixed

This now means Storms Mod is version 1.1 same link as before.
XLightningStormL
Former DUSK Wiki Master

Re: [Gameplay Overhaul] Storm's Combat Overhaul Mod 1.1

Postby StroggVorbis » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:46 am

Are you sure this is intentional?

Wondering cuz the chaingun recoils in the other direction.
StroggVorbis
Donut eat me pls!

Discord: StroggVorbis#2466
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [Gameplay Overhaul] Storm's Combat Overhaul Mod 1.1

Postby XLightningStormL » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:51 am

StroggVorbis wrote:Are you sure this is intentional?

Wondering cuz the chaingun recoils in the other direction.

Yes it's intentional.

The Idea is that the vents expel gas to push the weapon down vs upwards.

Also because it's the type of gimmicky thing you add so it's not just a weaker, slower firing Chaingun (Referring to SCOM's Chaingun)
XLightningStormL
Former DUSK Wiki Master

Re: [Gameplay Overhaul] Storm's Combat Overhaul Mod

Postby Baratus » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:46 am

Changes things up nicely, the new tracers look awesome, and I appreciate how much more effective the low-tier weapons are, and the more consistent damage across the board.

My main two issues is that there seems to be a heavy delay in the weapons firing (especially the shotgun and rifle), and how it fires only after the muzzle flash appears. It feels a bit odd and makes the weapons feel a bit unwieldy and unsatisfying to use, compared to firing immediately like the Pistol does.
The second problem I've noticed is that Spectres appear to be missing from the game, replaced with floating icons that indicate a missing entity.
I may share some more thoughts once I've spent a bit more time with this mod, as I haven't seen everything it has to offer yet.

EDIT: Okay, seems like the issues I've raised were already brought up. Here's another suggestion: perhaps the weapons should switch out faster, since the weapons have more specific functions and drawbacks and are suited to certain situations? The lack of autofire makes some weapons less useful in close quarters, so faster weapon switching should balance out the drawbacks.
Baratus

Return to Gameplay Mods