Alternate take on Partial Invisibility

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Alternate take on Partial Invisibility

Postby TehRealSalt » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:26 am

I don't think it's an uncommon opinion to not like the Partial Invisibility power, I've never really liked how it throws off your reflexes so hard when trying to dodge projectiles. So I've always wanted to make this simple edit to its functionality. Instead of inaccurate aim, you create a "decoy" target in the last place that you made a sound*. This means you can make a sound to redirect the demons' attention to a spot, then take advantage of that and shoot them in the back! Or you can use that to sneak past them unscathed! Overall, I think that makes it feel more like a definitive "power-up". :p

Works with almost every mod imaginable. The monsters just need +ISMONSTER when they spawn, and the power-up just needs to apply +SHADOW.

(*Currently, it checks for "sound" by checking if you're in attacking or pain state. Please let me know if there's a more proper way of detecting monster-alarming sounds (and ideally one that keeps the universal compatibility), I lost a little bit of sleep skimming through all of the documentation I could for that, but I still might've missed something.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TehRealSalt on Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TehRealSalt
ヽ(◕ᴥ◕)ノ

Discord: TehRealSalt#6754

Re: Alternate take on Partial Invisibility

Postby MFG38 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:46 am

Well, the idea sounds like something that'd be fun to play around with.
MFG38

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby TehRealSalt » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:05 pm

Added a video to the opening post.
TehRealSalt
ヽ(◕ᴥ◕)ノ

Discord: TehRealSalt#6754

Postby Enjay » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:38 pm

This is a really neat idea. I'm definitely in the "invisibility is a bit crap" camp. Once you know the game, invisibility is actually a hindrance rather than a benefit because it completely messes up your ability to dodge (although it can still have advantages when facing a bunch of hitscanners). This idea makes the powerup much more interesting and even allows you to use it to gain a real advantage over the bad guys or to simply herd them around the map however you please. Very nice. :)
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby morb » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:50 pm

Now only if Spectres did the same thing :)
morb

Github ID: m0rb
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby murdermike22 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:00 pm

i really like this idea, reminds me a little of the invisibility powerup you get in Descent
murdermike22

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Spaceman333 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:59 am

This is incredible. Its basically an actual Active Cloak that allows real stealth in doom. Would be awesome to see this as a reusable ability activated from the inventory too.
Spaceman333

Postby Rachael » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:19 am

Well done. This makes invisibility more like what it should have been.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Captain J » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:45 pm

Yes. All of my yes. Definitely what the Partial Invisibility should've been: a Sneak 100 stat boost.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Enjay » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:51 am

I've been playing with this for a little bit now and I really like it. IT makes the blur sphere so much more effective.

I've had a look through the code and I can follow the logic of what it is doing, but it is far beyond what I could have come up with in the details. I can't even figure out how it tells the game to use this instead of the usual blur sphere / normal invisibility powerup because it replaces those but I don't see any direct reference to them.
Enjay

Postby Rachael » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:56 am

Basically when you go invisible it spawns a target for the monsters to attack and forces the monster to chase that target, instead of you. If you attack, it will move that target to your current position, and continue to do so until you are no longer invisible. A lot of event handler handling is done to accomplish this, but that's what it boils down to.
Rachael
Webmaster

Postby Enjay » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:39 pm

Thanks, but that was actually the part of the logic that I could follow. ;)

I just can't see where in the code it tells the game to apply the effects from this mod instead of the standard blur sphere effects. It's not that big a deal, because it works, but I'd just like to be able to understand how this is managing to replace a built-in powerup without an obvious reference to it in the code. I'm sure it's there, I'm just not recognising it.
Enjay

Postby Rachael » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:55 pm

It's the event handlers, themselves. They're iterating over the player and detecting the +SHADOW flag. It checks each player in the WorldTick() function.
Rachael
Webmaster

Postby Enjay » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:28 pm

Ah, I see it now. Thanks. So basically any powerup that gives the player the +SHADOW flag will trigger this effect.

That explains how this powerup was managing to replace a custom invisibility item in a mod. I couldn't figure out how it was doing it. It's not a problem (quite the reverse) I just wanted to understand what was going on.
Enjay

Return to Gameplay Mods