Universal Rain and Snow

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Universal Rain and Snow

Postby HDV » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:00 pm

First of all, thanks a LOT for making this mod, the ambiance is beautiful with this :D Abysm 2 with the snowstorm is pretty neat!
Any chance we get an update with something like the user Lippeth showed on his last comment on this thread? That toxic and blood rain looks beautiful for those infernal levels. And maybe some falling ashes/lit particles too, replacing the snow color?
Thanks again for creating such mod, can't stop playing custom maps with rainy mood ^^
HDV

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Lippeth » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:44 pm

HDV wrote:Any chance we get an update with something like the user Lippeth showed on his last comment on this thread? That toxic and blood rain looks beautiful for those infernal levels.

I can't speak for Boondorl, but I have a feeling that colored rain isn't exactly on par with their vision. I wouldn't mind sharing my modified version of their most recent update, but there's no text file with permission info, so I have to assume that modifying is a no-go.

Great update by the way, I like the more natural looking rain splatter!
Lippeth
Metalvangelist

Discord: Lippeth#2552

Postby Boondorl » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:37 am

Huh, thought I included a license with it. Whoops. Anyway, feel free to mod it and release it as you please, just make sure to give proper credits when doing so. I'm not sure if I'll be updating this much because the possibilities for weather types are pretty endless and I figured if people had something in mind they could customize it as they please (I still need to get around to adding some documentation). If I do update it again it'll likely be to add some new features for modding and a menu for more user customization.
Boondorl

Postby Lippeth » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:38 am

I can just put it here for now then. No sense in making a whole new thread for something I only slightly modified, unless you think that's a better idea. All I've done was change sprite colors, add new classes for blood and toxic rain, given them appropriate intensities and added them to be cycled with rain and snow. I also lowered volumes for the effects due to my personal tastes, they can be cancelled out in the sndinfo lump. Basically just played with the tools that were given. This should by no means detract from boondorl's main file. In fact, using this with Hexen or Heretic would be pointless, as adding two new things to cycle through is cumbersome and also they clash with the aesthetic. But it does look pretty cool with classic Doom levels. I'll also try and stay on top of any updates that may occur. I'd almost prefer this to simply be a patch that requires the main mod, but that's a bit beyond my ability with zscript.

I've turned it into a patch, so you need to run it after Weather.pk3 to work.

Hell-Weather
Last edited by Lippeth on Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lippeth
Metalvangelist

Postby IttaBaby » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:28 am

So... uh...
how do I use it in Slade/EDB? I'm a little, let's say... ...remedial.
IttaBaby

Postby Captain J » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:13 am

You already can open it with the said editor by dragging a mod file into it and do the tweaking. And would be nice if you're making an addon, not standalone.
Last edited by Captain J on Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Endless » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:13 am

Weather effects is the only thing left to correctly implement into modern Doom and we'll get soooooo much more out of WADs that focus on ambience and landscapes.
Endless

Discord: 𝕰𝖓𝖉𝖑𝖊𝖘𝖘#2065

Postby IttaBaby » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:14 pm

Captain J wrote:You already can open it with the said editor by dragging a mod file into it and do the tweaking. And would be nice if you're making an addon, not standalone.

I mean just to use it in a level ಠ~ಠ
IttaBaby

Postby Lippeth » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:04 am

Captain J wrote:You already can open it with the said editor by dragging a mod file into it and do the tweaking. And would be nice if you're making an addon, not standalone.

I think I was indirectly asking for help to turn my version into an addon, but luckily I've been learning more about ZScript and finally made it happen for myself. Hopefully I've atoned for my sins. I'm just proud of myself for learning! I've changed the link in my other post, and I'll put it here as well. You'll need to run both files together in order for it to work now.

Weather_Hell_add-on

IttaBaby wrote:

I mean just to use it in a level ಠ~ಠ

To use Weather.pk3 in your own pk3 you would need to copy all the folders from Weather.pk3 to your pk3, and add the info from Boondorl's mapinfo, sndinfo, keyconf, etc. into yours. It should be pretty straightforward.
Lippeth
Metalvangelist

Postby IttaBaby » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:57 pm

Code: Select allExpand view
Script error, "MAP01.wad:ZSCRIPT" line 3:
Include script lump weather/weather.zs not found
Script error, "MAP01.wad:ZSCRIPT" line 4:
Include script lump weather/weatherhandler.zs not found
Script error, "MAP01.wad:ZSCRIPT" line 5:
Include script lump weather/precipitation.zs not found

I feel really dumb right now, because I am.
IttaBaby

Postby Lippeth » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:44 pm

The folder that contains "weather.zs", "weatherhandler.zs" and "precipitation.zs" seems to be missing or not labeled "weather". Or if you put the "weather" folder inside another folder then you'll have to label it as such in the main ZScript lump, like "#include zscript/weather/weather.zs".
Lippeth
Metalvangelist

Postby IttaBaby » Mon May 03, 2021 11:09 am

alright, FINALY did that and now the game runs but there is no rain to be had
had do I put the rain INTO the level?
IttaBaby

Postby rabidrage » Sat May 08, 2021 4:18 pm

Here's my question with regard to all this. I generally suck at scripting--I'm a copy and paste kinda guy with occasional luck figuring out what something does and how to tweak it. Is there anybody here who has the necessary skill to make it so that this univeral weather mod comes with moving clouds?
rabidrage

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods