Angelic Aviary v1.3 (Eviternity II edition, new angels) Updated 12/29/23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
openroadracer
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: [WIP] Angelic Waifus (Doom Angels)

Post by openroadracer »

I know it sounds incredibly minor; but when I gave this enemy set a shot, the voices for the most basic enemies(like, up to the Imp replacement, I think) were annoying as F$%K. Granted, I was running Maps of Chaos: Overkill, so there were a bunch more of them; but honestly, I had to abort the run after just the first map. I couldn't deal with how shrill they were.

Then again, maybe that was kinda the point. Maybe the higher-tiered enemies, like the Caco replacement on up, aren't as bad.
CherubCorps

Post by CherubCorps »

You're right. They're suppose to be shrill and annoying, I found it makes killing them all the more satisfying. They easily have the most obnoxious voice, maybe up to the Principality with her Ojou laugh.

Cute and obnoxious walk a very thin line. The voices are all in Japanese so I can tolerate them because it all sounds like gibberish to me. If it was in English or I understood Japanese, it might annoy me much more. Nothing sounds worse than an English Dub where the voice actor tries to do cute and high pitch.
openroadracer

Post by openroadracer »

RomDump wrote:You're right. They're suppose to be shrill and annoying, I found it makes killing them all the more satisfying. They easily have the most obnoxious voice, maybe up to the Principality with her Ojou laugh.

Cute and obnoxious walk a very thin line. The voices are all in Japanese so I can tolerate them because it all sounds like gibberish to me. If it was in English or I understood Japanese, it might annoy me much more. Nothing sounds worse than an English Dub where the voice actor tries to do cute and high pitch.
I mean, I get what you're going for, and I don't understand a damn thing they're saying. But even with that in consideration, they're still past that line for me where it would be satisfying to kill them; they're just too shrill and annoying for me to want to bother with, even with them as the enemies.

I guess if you're someone who can put up with them, they're a good fit for something like Hearts of Demons: Baron; but in my case, they just make my ears bleed. I have to turn them off and just go back to regular DooM.
CherubCorps

Post by CherubCorps »

I guess if you're someone who can put up with them, they're a good fit for something like Hearts of Demons: Baron; but in my case, they just make my ears bleed. I have to turn them off and just go back to regular DooM.
The angels claim another victory. :D
openroadracer

Post by openroadracer »

RomDump wrote:The angels claim another victory. :D
:roll:

Yeah, tell yourself that.
openroadracer

Post by openroadracer »

Okay, when not even Aracnocide Weapons and Boom Power COMBINED can make these shrill little punts tolerable, you've got a F$%KING problem.

At this point, I need a mapset with wide open spaces and low enemy density that allows me to kill them at long range, and a weaponset that has the accuracy to nail them to a f$%king wall from the other side of the universe. The weapons, I think I've got covered with Call of DooM: Black Warfare. The maps, I'll need some help on...
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

openroadracer wrote:Okay, when not even Aracnocide Weapons and Boom Power COMBINED can make these shrill little punts tolerable, you've got a F$%KING problem.
I think you've already made quite clear your distaste for this specific enemy - continuing to harp on the point in this way is probably isn't going to accomplish what you want.
openroadracer

Post by openroadracer »

wildweasel wrote:I think you've already made quite clear your distaste for this specific enemy - continuing to harp on the point in this way is probably isn't going to accomplish what you want.
Sorry, these enemies are just that irritating to me.

But I've got some good news: Going to a more regular mapset, in this case FreeDOOM: Phase 2, and using the Call of DooM: Black Warfare weaponset, I've actually almost accomplished the feat of making these enemies' sounds pretty tolerable. The only issues are the moments where I'm more or less forced into close combat with the Revolver or Shotgun Dolls or the Cherubs; but as long as I can keep them at a distance and not let them swarm me, I think I can put up with them.
CherubCorps

Post by CherubCorps »

I can see how the voices could be a big turn off to people. I do appreciate the input.
openroadracer

Post by openroadracer »

I'm going to force myself through DooM 2 the Way id Did with this enemy set, just so you know; but it's going to take me a long time, as I'll only be doing short periods with these irritating little punts.

I figure I can easily reset myself by playing sessions of Burnout Paradise Remastered every so often. Not for any completion reasons, I've already got my Criterion Elite License; but I'll just get in my Carson GT Concept and blast up and down the roads of White Mountain for about 20 minutes every time I feel like these "angels" are getting to me.

Sounds aside, they're at least a well-rounded and reasonably balanced enemy set that mostly feels okay with "vanilla"-style mapsets.
openroadracer

Post by openroadracer »

Okay, after more time with them, I think the most annoying enemies in the set are the Cherubs, the Imp replacement. Outside of them, I guess they're alright as long as you're not being swarmed by the dozens at close range.

The Hell Knight and Baron replacements, the Authority and the Virtue Virgin I think the latter is, are easily the least annoying enemies in the mod, by a mile. They're actually kinda pleasant to listen to, or would be if they weren't trying to kill you.

The Principality is kinda iffy, with their death sounds being a bit screechy. The Kiss is also in kinda the same place. Not as horrible as I was making it sound in my earliest posts, but not great.

The little Dolls and Puttos that replace the Zombieman, Shotgunner and Lost Soul just fade into the background, really. Their sounds are little more than short squeaks, so they're not as bad as I was making them out to be at first either.

The Ophanim that replace the Arachnotron are pretty alright as well.

Anyway, I guess I'm going to stop for a bit and head off to Paradise City for a while. Need to clear my head and my ears.
Prodigal Providence

Post by Prodigal Providence »

Been using this mod for quite a while now. Here's my feedback.

To be honest, I have no problems with the sounds the angels make, with the Principality being the exception. Everytime she smugly laughs she's warranted a smacking of lead.

Cherubs - I agree with the earlier commenter - these little angels are annoying, especially in large groups. On some maps like the second level of SF2012 the Cherubs which were supposed to lie in wait for an ambush can already fly out and attack the player whenever he makes his presence known, which causes quite the difficulty shift.

Dolls - I found it difficult to fight these things at first due to their really small stature, but I got used to it eventually. They perfectly blend in with cover many times, too. Other than that they're easy to dispatch due to their slower movements on everything like walking and shooting. The Knife Dolls are a pain in the ass though as they can block your way while other angels do you in.

Snowball - One of the most annoying angels in my book. While her attacks aren't hitscan (thank God), the fact that her icicles are really fast makes them quite a threat. At least these snowslingers make me practice my circlestrafing.

Cardinals/Blackbirds - A fine enemy to fight. Her slashes register two times on one slash, as I noticed. And I dig their attire design, not gonna lie.

Putto - Nothing to say much to be honest, they are just non-attacking entities that can revive an angel they come across. I have only one mandate when it comes to that. You have been revived? DIE AGAIN!

Kiss - Another one of the most annoying angels in my book. These cupids' arrows actually are seekermissiles and will home in on you and that's challenging. Them screaming "Grandmother..." when they die is something to wonder though...

Aspect of Iris - Real annoying as well. Those butterfly projectiles are something - piercing through anything that does not have the DONTRIP tag - and screw those faster ones. And these angels pose quite a threat to my allies due to this.

Authority - Just fine, really. Strong attacks, frenzied melee slashing... This angel is formidable. And it's fun swordfighting these angels as the Final Doomer JPCPguy, weaving through their slashwaves.

Virtue Virgin - Hoo boy. This angel is number 1 on my annoying list. It becomes a semi-danmaku fight whenever I fight VVs especially if there's more than one of them. That flurry of slashwaves they can release is something to watch out for. And she's even more dangerous up close, too! And to top that off, she can't be frozen!
Not gonna lie though, it's actually fun fighting VVs except on cramped spaces.

Ophanim - The one angel that keeps challenging me on bulletstorming. Good thing this angel takes some time before she goes all eyes on you, and boy that projectile+hitscanner combo is nasty. It's fun charging towards her with a shield up, though.

Not to mention, I can't stunlock her anymore with the FD AA Stasis Bow. Was this change intentional?

Principality - I'll say it again. Everytime this angel smugly laughs while firing electricity at me warrants her a smacking of lead. Her attack pattern is a bit unpredictable compared to the Mancubus and that's a challenging plus. Her death animation actually fits when you use railguns or anti-material rifles, too.

Not gonna lie though, her loud screaming death rattle is kinda... obnoxiously loud.

Oh, and for some reason, if you play Doom Incarnate with this monster pack loaded, Principalities will be able to fire off the same lightning ball projectile as the Teslakanone. All of a sudden you get struck by lightning, and Principalities infight and stunlock each other pretty often due to this. While it kinda fits, it does make this snobbish angel a frustrating enemy to fight.

That's all, I guess.

EDIT: Tried this out with Russian Overkill recently. Spartakicked-thru-wall angels leave their halos behind and the halos will persist even if their original holder is dead.
CherubCorps

Post by CherubCorps »

Tried this out with Russian Overkill recently. Spartakicked-thru-wall angels leave their halos behind and the halos will persist even if their original holder is dead.
There's an issue with the halos getting trapped in the ceiling with low rooms. I don't know what's causing it, but I don't think it's anything complex. Gonna try and fix it with the next update.
The Knife Dolls are a pain in the ass though as they can block your way while other angels do you in.
Since they're so small, I'm thinking about making it so the doll don't block your path and you can walk right over them. I think it might compensate for the increased mobility of the cherubs, however, it might make doing melee attacks on dolls more difficult.
Not to mention, I can't stunlock her anymore with the FD AA Stasis Bow. Was this change intentional?
So the Ophanim has always been immune to stun attacks. There were some mods that allowed her to be stunned, but I patched that in this version. It's interesting though because the Virtue Virgin is incredibly easy to stun. She's immune to ice to prevent the snowballs from stunlocking her to death.

Thanks for the feedback. I always appreciate it.
Prodigal Providence

Post by Prodigal Providence »

Always. This is actually the first monster pack I've used in great length out of all on record. Lag-friendly, too.

My only standing issue with this is, again, with the Principalities and their capability to fire Teslakanone lightning ball projectiles. That lightning bolt that manifests to finish off an shocked enemy hurts.

Must be an same-named actor issue if I'd guess.

I noticed that too. Back on my RO playthrough on Fragport, I Spartakicked one of the buildings and forced a pair of Kisses to infight, and their halos were just stuck there on the ceiling. They never disappeared even if I killed both Kisses.

Another one was when I Spartakicked an Ophanim directly and her halo never disappeared, it's just above her dead body which makes for a weird sight.

Regarding the Dolls, they're already fine as it is, and despite the issue with them blocking you completely from your way it's not really a big deal - they're easy to kill, after all.

For VVs and Ophanims... my hunches were correct... Looks like I have to forego stun and go straight to kill in dealing with Ophanims.

And for an angel that is a danmaku machine and a very vicious melee fighter the VV's high stun rate is a nice touch. And it's fun punching her far distances with shotguns lmao.

One thing's for sure, I'll keep using and following this mod.
CherubCorps

Post by CherubCorps »

Newest version 0.7 released!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ppcuxp5h ... 7.wad/file

Features
-New Angel: Dollmaykr (Replaces the Arch-Vile). An ancient angel and creators of the dolls who serve heaven. She can not only summon an endless army of dolls to her side, but can destroy the souls of her enemies by stabbing a sacrificial doll she always carries. Though smol, Dollmaykrs are among the most fear angels and among the highest priority targets in battle.
-Virture Virgin gains the ability to fly at 750 HP.
-New sounds added to many of the angels.
-Angels drop less health, but have rare drops including weapons and ammo.
-Minor bug fixes.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”