NeoCore : Dark Depths (v6.3 Hotfix UPDATE)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: NeoCore : Dark Depths (v6.2 Hotfix UPDATE)

Postby -Ghost- » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:08 pm

Thanks for adjusting the pistol grip! 2 handed is a lot more satisfying. Do you have any plans to change the sprite at all, or is it more or less final? It's got some HL2 pistol vibes, but thankfully stronger. :P
-Ghost-

Re: NeoCore : Dark Depths (v6.2 Hotfix UPDATE)

Postby Sangelothi » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:15 pm

You posted just I reuploaded the hotfix lol

Things are fairly final, I'm trying to wrap up NeoCore this year and start something new so I don't jam and cut my ideas in and out of NeoCore anymore :D

Version 6.3
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ao7hez4gt8tjvko/Sang-NeoCorev6.3.zip/file

Same link edited on previous post, just here for page convenience, it's just further improvement on the new Omni Graphics as the shading was a bit hasty :D
Sangelothi
What is this???

Re: NeoCore : Dark Depths (v6.3 Hotfix UPDATE)

Postby 666shooter » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:51 pm

I really enjoyed this mod recently at 5.5, playing this with Doom 2 Redux, but downloaded 6.3 and have been having extreme difficulties with finding any Wad that this runs reasonably well with, and am not sure if that is due to rebalancing or a lack of ammo distribution and compatibility. I have played this with Icarus and TNT Revolution, the latter of which I find very compatible with a variety of Wads due to its easy-going nature, but the red riflemen and the white variants seem to either have received an extensive buff in health/damage since 5.5 or I have inexplicably become much worse. I have very little ammo for any of my guns, chests are few and far between and the enemies are devastating me on the Normal difficulty setting. I just wanted to ask what changes were made in-between the updates so I can determine if I am better off reverting to the earlier version. I am deeply saddened to be experiencing these difficulties and frustrations where previously I was having such fun.
666shooter

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Sangelothi » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:49 am

With the base mobs, there was a reduction in chest spawn chances. And the chest themselves only drop the gun and ammo infuser, no base ammo, so that does put a good dent in how much ammo you get. The Red Beholder got a buff in health to be elite tier, but their drop chances increased and with added aalshells added to the drop pool. With less ammo and hp buffs, ammo is tighter, but I got through Vanguard. I recommend Back to Saturn X, or Suspended in Dusk :D

And I'll run this with those wads and see my turn out, sorry for any frustrations with the rebalances :D
Sangelothi
What is this???

Postby 666shooter » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:39 am

That's okay, thank you for taking the time to respond and explain your decisions. I will have to try this with BTSX at this point and see how it works. Not every mod works best for every Wad after all, so sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right combination. [Demonfear Map 1 is all imp variants and that Arachno-flyer, for example].
666shooter

Postby Sangelothi » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:59 am

I watched a friend play NeoCore in VR with Scythe, and I witness him run out of ammo by map03, I'll increase the base weapon/ammo drop chance for the earlier elites, elite infantry troops aren't such a thing once you get your hands on later guns, but I see what you mean, Splinter ammo and Service Clips (Gut Pincher ammo) should be a bit more common to get the player through rougher starting map packs. I want the player to think smart with the armory and prioritize guns in a way that they don't just blast whatever crowd with whatever gun because ammo is plentiful...but I don't want the player to have to switch to the machete due to lack of ammo. Or rather lack of guns lol, sometimes I have run into bad luck with infantry just not wanting to drop the Acer or Empress for like 2 maps, thus setting my armory back when I'm expected to have my shoty by then. This happened maybe twice, so I chalked it up to just poor luck :3:

Anywho, I'll up drop chances on the gun pick ups and ammo for earlier elites to better offset the Chest adjustment, I'll also be upping the amount of ammo received from pick ups as they aren't matching as of now (Omi Writer still gives 32 rounds instead of 42, GP gives 30 still I think)
And I'll be flipping some pick up sprites for better VR support, was totally awesome to watch lol :mrgreen:

EDIT: I was also unaware that the elite Beholder is the only one to drop the Empress of the three variants, this would also explain your ammo strain :oops: I won't add it to the other's pool, but better chances for sure :D
Sangelothi
What is this???

Postby -Ghost- » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:21 pm

It feels hard to judge the ammo/HP/armor drops sometimes. Doom 2 is actually really easy, but other maps not so much, so I'm not sure if it's just the RNG or some maps having less enemies with drops or what.
-Ghost-

Postby Sangelothi » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:17 pm

Oh totally lol

I thought ammo was still pretty plentiful after the rebalance, but both 66shooter's posts, and my friend trying it vr and running out of ammo, happened same day :lol: Sometimes I forget that my run could be the exception :D
Balancing "luck" has been a rather interesting experience :lol: and it already gives me anxiety thinking about attempting a more "rogue-like" experience for a new project :oops:
Sangelothi
What is this???

Postby CascadeB » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:23 pm

Really digging the mod, so far. I like the more hectic pacing of the gameplay, and that all of the enemies are worth worrying about at all times. I'm also really enjoying that you can't just stick with one gun and ride it for the whole map or the whole wad. Gotta be smart and consider what's best for every encounter, which matches beautifully with the fast pace of the combat.

This mod fits Back To Saturn like a glove.

Don't know how much you're thinking about adding to it, but I look forward to seeing more, and I will be keeping my eye out for your future projects, also!
CascadeB

Postby leon2012evil » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:11 am

Hello. I hope you haven't forgotten me yet, because I still remember you. I am still interested in the development of your fashion, and I still wish it success. I hope there will be more updates in the future, as well as new projects.
leon2012evil

Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit

Postby Sangelothi » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:51 pm

About a month ago Texas had a polar vortex that led to my apartment flooding. A month after the office stating they would do repairs, they had an agent deem the space unlivable. I have only just today got my pc to a new place and plugged in. There will be more updates for NeoCore in the future! Currently I have nothing to show though :oops:
Sangelothi
What is this???

Postby leon2012evil » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:20 pm

Aww... I'm sorry, I didn't know. I'm going to live in Russia, not America. (although we are also not very good with the weather). I hope everything will be fine with you. Do not get sick, and good luck to you.
leon2012evil

Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit

Postby NoodleCupDetective » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:00 pm

Heya, hope everything's going well over there and that you've been able to restore your living situation.
I'm still interested in development in this mod, but I'm not in a rush.
Take your time, and let us know if ya made something interesting!
NoodleCupDetective

Discord: NoodleCupDetective#8851
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby Sharazar256 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:25 am

Is anyone else using this with Auger:Zenith? I have been loving the two of them together. They feel like they are made for each other, and together are practically a cyberpunk TC.
Sharazar256

Postby Sangelothi » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:27 am

I finished a run with the two last week actually! This is absolutely what I love about Doom's modding scene.
I should have recorded some gameplay, but I'd like to update some more stuff before making a preview, like I'm thinking of removing reloading from the Scrap Cannon as its slow reload keeps me from using it as much as other weapons. I like that this would put it on par with the other slot 6 weapon as would allow for you to really summon an army lol
Sangelothi
What is this???

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods