NeoCore : Dark Depths (v6.3 Hotfix UPDATE)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: NeoCore : Dark Depths (v5.5 RELEASED)

Postby -Ghost- » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:03 am

aw yea, two handed stances always look better. Will you be doing it for the starter pistol as well?

By allowing the pump shotgun to bypass the pump, wouldn't that kind of invalidate the other shotgun by making them both full auto? Or will the passive infusers run out as well? I think the damage boost is a good idea, but buffing firerate might make them overlap too much.
-Ghost-

Postby Sangelothi » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:16 pm

Admittedly, this may rely a bit on balancing the drop chances. But this isn't an upgrade to the shotgun, the infuser will run out, they come at a 1:1 cost, and only semi-auto. Plus the empress will always have a longer reload time :D
Definitely going to need some testing :mrgreen:

-Ghost- wrote:aw yea, two handed stances always look better. Will you be doing it for the starter pistol as well?

Most likely, 2021 makeover :3:
Sangelothi
What is this???

Postby Mnemnon » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:22 pm

I have another request related to combat, please add some kind of quick melee attack. Although I am not a fan of face-to-face encounters sometimes the ability to kick/punch enemy is useful, e.g. in corridors-like maps. Yes, I know that there is the machette, but still I find the need to manually change weapon to be distracting, that's why bindable melee found in other mods is far more convenient for me. The thing I ask for is at least a quick kick (a'la Brutal Doom) or fist punch, although if You feel ambitious You could add... quick machette swing (Project Burtality style) since this weapon is already included. ;)
Mnemnon

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Sangelothi » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:17 pm

This is a good idea, especially when you don't have all your magazines topped off, it's nice to have something reliable when the wraiths close in on ya.
I just finished play testing the current build with Vanguard, with reduced drop chances and with several rebalances, so NeoCore should handle well enough on slaughter maps lol, I should have a release here in the next few days :mrgreen:

There are several tweaks to weapon aesthetics, bigger mags on both rifles (less reloading!), two new Ammo infusers, rebalanced enemies (moved the plasma zombie to Baron tier, making the Karasawa zombie the Elite variant)
OH! And a fullscreen hud now (I've just removed the hud bars and left the numbers :lol: )
Sangelothi
What is this???

Re: NeoCore : Dark Depths (v6 RELEASED)

Postby Sangelothi » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:20 am

Version 6 link below :D

https://www.mediafire.com/file/o2ar9jhn0dbzjck/Sang-NeoCorev6.zip/file

Howdy y'all, this update doesn't have very much new content as it's mostly balances and fixes. As well as a few aesthetic updates to weapons :mrgreen:

List of changes in spoiler

Spoiler:
Sangelothi
What is this???

Postby leon2012evil » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:21 pm

I really liked the new version. The weapon began to work more smoothly and effectively. But some models of weapons are still asking for a replacement.

1. This is a replacement of the model of the second gun for the one that was in the original release. Leave the optics, but replace the reload from one cartridge to the magazine.
idle1.png

Screenshot_20210128_111153.png

But at the same time, this model can be used for a new weapon in the form of a plasma pistol, with infinite cartridges, but with overheating. Leave the optics, and make a two-handed grip (one hand holds the handle, and the second holds the weapon by the forearm).
idle1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by leon2012evil on Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leon2012evil

Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit

Postby leon2012evil » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:24 pm

2. Still, it seems to me that the second shotgun is not quite a good model, and it looks like some kind of sawn-off shotgun. And the model that is currently located at the second machine gun, is quite better suited for the role of the second shotgun.
idle wut.png

idle.png

As for the second machine, it is better to return the model from the earlier version. And the firing mode should be made in the form of a short burst of three or four rounds. And add optics.
Screenshot_20210128_111228.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
leon2012evil

Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit

Postby Sangelothi » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:52 am

I appreciate the ideas, but I don't have any plans to make changes to the armory like that. I intend to add one more slot 7 weapon (bouncing back and forth on a few ideas, but it's narrowing down) and an Ammo Infuser for the Jackal, which is also hampering my other slot 7 ideas, because of balancing lol

Sorry if the Ox Clot isn't to your liking, but it was one of the few sprites that inspired me to make NeoCore. The same goes for the Jackal Disc Launcher, I'm pretty sure the Jackal was the first weapon idea I wanted to make for NeoCore, probably meant for slot 5, but I wanted it to be really powerful, more so than the Disc Launcher from Tribes, which inspired it. So it got pushed to slot 7 when it came to finish. These two weapons have barely ever been touched since the initial release of NeoCore...8 years ago(?) :mrgreen:

EDIT: This does remind me, I think all the lumps for the burst Coyote are still in the wad, they just aren't called upon. You could if you wanted, open the file and edit it back in (although it would share ammo with the Acer) :blergh:

Double Edit: I've realized the ammo infused gun fire sound for the Empress is way louder than other weapons, this has been slightly adjusted for volume consistency in the next update
Sangelothi
What is this???

Postby -Ghost- » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:08 pm

Personally I like where most of the weapons are at right now. I think making the base pistol 2 handed and maybe cleaning up the pump shotgun's world sprite are some the few aesthetic things left that'd help.
-Ghost-

Postby Sangelothi » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:45 pm

-Ghost- wrote:Personally I like where most of the weapons are at right now. I think making the base pistol 2 handed and maybe cleaning up the pump shotgun's world sprite are some the few aesthetic things left that'd help.

That pick up sprite was pretty quickly done and is fairly sloppy :roll:

I attempted a second hand on the splinter, but I had just redone the entire sprite sheet two times over because of the side light, and then having to fix it. I couldn't find a match that I fancied, but perhaps I was just really over working on sprites at the moment :oops:
Sangelothi
What is this???

Postby Sangelothi » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:34 pm

Something like this perhaps?

Honestly could crop some of these frames to save file size, but overall the file size is pretty small all things considered
Sangelothi
What is this???

Postby Deii » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:34 pm

Just wanted to drop by after god know how many years of not using the forums proper, but I've been playing this mod with Revolution! as the mega WAD and I gotta say everything is nicely balanced, the guns are punchy and fun, the enemies are rather challenging at times and it makes fights quite engaging (even if some of the red former human replacements are a bit on the tanky side). The ammo infusers and supply chests are also a very nice touch, they really help making sure you don't use just one or two weapons given the ammo's RNG nature.

I just have two criticisms:
1- From what I can tell without digging into the mod's code, the pickup message for the Omniwriter's ammo shows "Zerox bullets" or something along those lines. If memory serves me right, then that was the name of this weapon's earlier iteration (something something Stone or Liquid Squid iirc? looked kinda like an M16 sprite).
2- Simplifying the pickup messages would be a good idea given how many ammo pickups exist after the infusers were introduced. Instead of the full "you picked up a box of iron shells" or "you got a service clip box", something like "[ammotype +X -gun name or slot number ]" could work better IMO.

My one suggestion in regards to visuals would be implementing the less woody-tan variant of the Omniwriter you've shown, but I think that's gonna happen in the next update anyway, right?

Other than that, fantastic mod. Keep up the good work!

P.S.: I do kinda miss the Coyote's sprite and feel, could you perhaps add a cvar or an addon to re-implement it if only as a sprite replacement to the Acer somewhere down the road?
Deii

Discord: Deii #0915

Postby Sangelothi » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:33 am

I'll work on these two notes before putting out an update, I've never noticed the elite Fiend variant is missing an A_BossDeath tag which will break any map that calls on these tags (Map07 is currently broken) so I should get this fix out in the next couple of days if time permits :D sooner the better of course

This will include an audio adjustment to the Empress, a few graphic works, an update to the Splinter (now two handed) and the old Coyote code reactivated, this will only be acquired by cheating, and the ammo pool will be switched to Splinter ammo (Pride Clips)
Sangelothi
What is this???

Postby Mnemnon » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:56 am

Nice work with the update, those small tweaks fit the gunplay. Could you share your ideas what also will you try to implement in future versions?
Mnemnon

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Sangelothi » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:56 pm

Version 6.3
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ao7hez4gt8tjvko/Sang-NeoCorev6.3.zip/file

EDIT: Took down 6.2 for 6.3, only difference is further graphical improvement on the Omni Writer (some improved shading)

This is a small update, it fixes the A_Bossdeath on the one of the fiends that can break some Map07s that call upon the arachnotron tag
It also contains some more audio adjustments and fixes, such as layering...oh and the Iron Fiend has a new sound set (much more aggressive and lore friendly for their sprites)
There are graphic updates for the Splinter (now gripped) and the Omni Writer (darker, with some metal to break up the mostly bronze look)
Pick up messages for the ammo have been simplified to "Name of ammo" ("Gun Name" Base Ammo/ Ammo Infuser) for an easier read on what you're looting

If you aren't encountering any issues with level progression, and don't care for the graphical updates, then you don't really need to download this and break any playthrough you're currently on :mrgreen:
Last edited by Sangelothi on Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sangelothi
What is this???

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods