minor doom tweaks

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: minor doom tweaks

Postby Matt » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:02 pm

Added a nodelay to the flame actor. DSFLAMST can finally be heard, briefly, before the crackling cuts it off.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Matt » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:51 pm

Fixed the custom map alert listing the first map twice.
Matt

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby namsan » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:30 pm

Oh, recently I have played this mod a lot (like hours)
Projectile-hauling enemies in this mod actively punish the player who always uses circle-strafing tactic, and I love it. The bruiser brothers and the cyberdemon have become scary again!
namsan
piss piss piss piss piss piss piss

Discord: Namsan#8146

Postby Matt » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:41 pm

Had this loaded unintentionally while playing HD and ended up with a VM abort due to the way it interacted with HD's lives system. Should be fixed now.
Matt

Postby Crudux Cruo » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:53 pm

So I've pondered myself how a good rework would look like, and I think this is probably one of the better ones yet.

Weapons....
I think most of the changes are pretty right on balance wise, although the chainsaw could be a little faster IMO - i used the doom64 chainsaw A LOT because of the balance tweak.

Monsters...
Zombies have always been mindless meatshields, so its nice to see some behavioral tweaks to make them a little more competent, however i'll say traps and close encounters are FAR more deadly now, whearas at range i have a much better chance of getting NO damage and less likely to infight due to damaging other monsters, so truthfully i think for monsters it makes much more sense to fire a flat burst like classic... however with the behavioral changes they would then be too deadly. I've played with this a little and it's much more high or low in terms of difficulty now because so long as i keep distance i can wipe out zombies easily, while up close it gets really hairy.

General...
Projectile tweaks are really rough. In addition to being much less able to dodge cyberdemons now due to target prediction and a hella fast rocket that is still in bursts of up to three), ALL monsters predictive fire now (except for arachnotrons) and so theres the difficulty factor there, but also cacodemons become useless when shot because their projectiles loose speed too. Circle strafing, a MAJOR tactic for many a doom player, is much less useful now due to this both firing projectile weapons and receiving fire from monsters.
If there was one major change i would make, i would say i would like behavior like enemies targetleading the player and projectile behavior to either be optional or a version made that ONLY has the other changes.

All in all though, I really appreciate the low-key simple tweaks here and it's pretty fun to play with. I don't think this is quite at a "what if doom had modern balance" gold medal standard, but it's fun. Honestly, rebalancing doom is hard work and it seems like if you change one thing, you have to change everything, so, hats off for trying.
Crudux Cruo
"It's howdy doody time kiddies, the bad man is here."

Postby Matt » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:55 am

Someone was complaining about the Freedoom SSG sound and when loading Doom trying to remember what it sounds like I noticed it was getting cut off in this mod. Replaced all those wrappers with A_StartSound calls with CHANF_OVERLAP.
Matt

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods