minor doom tweaks

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: minor doom tweaks

Postby Matt » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:00 am

What Samarai said, although I did take a look again to see if it was possible to do what I originally wanted to allow the weapons to be commented out. (Unfortunately that does not happen to be the case.)

This version adds a few missing dynamic lights, fixes some warnings and moves a bit of code around. It also gives rocket explosions a 1/5 chance of forcing pain.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Baratus » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:07 am

This is a very neat little mod that really provides more of a challenge to modern Doom players, I find myself having to actually use my brain and not rely too much on the traditional bullet spread. There's an emphasis on fine aiming and not just running around. I swear those imps have predictive AI or something because they nearly always hurl their projectiles ahead of whatever direction I was in!

This mod's changes are a bit unexpected but quite welcome. I'm not so onboard with how the Plasma Rifle gets weaker the longer you fire, it doesn't feel so friendly to use. The Chaingun is also quite hard to control and burns through ammo very quickly, so I find myself using these weapons much less because of these drawbacks. Still, on the whole I find this very enjoyable and makes blasting through old megaWADs with the same old traditional Doom gameplay much less of a bore. It adds a bit of complexity, with some extra challenge and risk but in a well thought out way.
Baratus

Postby Caligari87 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:04 am

I agree the chaingun feels a tad unresponsive and difficult to control. I think this comes down to the spin-up stage, which is too short to be used as a lower-rate crowd control, but not responsive enough to be used as a "sniper" or in short bursts, because you need to wait for the spin-up but the zombie is dead by the time the spin-up finishes so you just end up either wasting rounds re-targetting, or stop shooting while targetting and need to wait for it to spin up again on the next enemy...

it could be improved a bit by having the spin-up and cool-down take longer with some kind of inertia, so it's possible to "ride" the trigger (hold-release-hold-release) for a more moderate fire rate, while still allowing the possibility of holding down the trigger for the full-bore boss-slaying dakka fire rate. I feel this would make it more effective against midsize trash crowds, which was the chaingun's original purpose but kinda gets lost with the redesign.

Compare and contrast with HD's Vulcanette, which is viable to run-and-gun with on "fuller-auto" because it's so responsive that you can just long-tap and near-instantly get 5-10 rounds on a mob, which is just the perfect amount of (over)kill.

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:55 pm

You don't need to wait for any wind-down time on the Vulc fuller-auto? I will need to fix that if that's the case - it's supposed to need to wait until the spinning has stopped. (Which is still a shorter time than you need between shots on the vanilla pistol, but it's not instant)

I personally like the way the pistol and chaingun are balanced in MDT now (the pistol basically being a weaker version of the quick-hitting PDW that the vanilla chaingun is) but I'll consider shortening the wind-down.
Matt

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:12 pm

I haven't messed with this yet, but i do wonder if it is compatible with Kinsie's SSG balance experiment.

If it is, this will be an awesome experience.
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:47 pm

I don't see why it wouldn't be - just load that mod after this one.

The new ammo type won't have the benefit of allowing partial pickups though.
Matt

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:16 pm

Aaaaand it works!

I'd like to suggest another thing to make this more diversified!

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=53671

This is a mod by Tapwave which replaces Vanilla sprites and i believe it will make the game look way more awesome :)
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:34 pm

I usually alternate between playing this with Doom, Freedoom and HorrorMovieGuy's gothic skins myself
Matt

Postby Matt » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:10 pm

New update adds ammo preservation to weapons - hold Use while picking up to force a wasteful pickup - and makes the passive regeneration instantaneous after 14-15 seconds (512 ticks).
Matt

Postby Matt » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:38 am

New update checks to see if the player's health has changed since the last check and delays the regeneration countdown if it has, to avoid clashing with any other mod that might already have its own regeneration.
Matt

Postby madsnark » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:40 am

Matt wrote:New update adds ammo preservation to weapons - hold Use while picking up to force a wasteful pickup - and makes the passive regeneration instantaneous after 14-15 seconds (512 ticks).

I can't auto pick up weapons that I don't have if I have max ammo for them
madsnark

Postby Matt » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:45 am

madsnark wrote:I can't auto pick up weapons that I don't have if I have max ammo for them

It should still work with the Use key, but given how berserk works that is a bit inconsistent so fixed.
Matt

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods