minor doom tweaks

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: minor doom tweaks

Post by Samarai1000 »

Today's update seems to have broken the download link, unfortunately.
Aside from that, I've been playing this off-and-on for a week or two now and having a really good time. Everything feels a lot punchier and faster without being too overwhelming. I'd give more in-depth feedback, but my brain's been mush lately and I don't think anything I describe is gonna be totally legible!
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Oops, forgot I'd postdated that as 14 not 13. Fixed (though Neocities seems to be having issues right now)
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

The replaced-levels message is now documented and only gives you one message for all of the replaced levels.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Shaved off 2 ticks from the SSG between the recoil and the reload. Feels a lot better though you only get 1 more shot in 10 seconds of continuous fire.
cs89

Post by cs89 »

I tried out this tweaks mod and I really satisfied with the changes to the arsenal and monsters.
The chain gun's fire rate increasing is I like it more than the original bullets spitting weapon. :)
The Cacodemons and Revenants projectiles may not always come from a predictable direction, but not with high chance.
I will add to autoload folder for a classic megawad playthrough. :D
Matt

Post by Matt »

Good to know!

One more update to make all weapon replacements inherit the replacee's args and +dropped (or, more to the point, -dropped) flag.

EDIT: Momentum inheritance is now limited to vanilla monsters and MDT's own player projectiles, so it doesn't stack with other mods that also do this.

EDIT: One more update disabling all projectile telefrags.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Cyberdemon is way too hard. Like, disproportionally hard compared to everything the fuck else.

The rockets are almost twice as fast.
The cyberdemon can lead targets reliably but unpredictably.
Rocket direct hits on the player are almost guaranteed instant kills.

This combines to mean that it's almost pure luck if you can survive one on open ground if you have no means of painlocking it - which the vanilla rocket, inflicting damage only once or twice, is uniquely bad at doing.

The latest update gives rockets a boost, a roughly 75% an 80% chance that it is flagged +FORCEPAIN. A perfect open-ground fight still involves way more luck than in vanilla - either you're close enough to be unable to dodge a sudden intercept, or far enough that it can dodge and you can run out of rockets - but this will give you enough follow-up shots that it's not quite as miserable.

EDIT: Changed it from being based on level.time to a proper random number

EDIT: I just realized something:

Painchance 256 means always pain
Cyberdemon painchance 20
SSG blast has 20 pellets
20 * 20 = average painchance 400

Gonna test this, might simplify this code later

EDIT: Vanilla SSG cyberdemon nopain/total shots:
3/21
3/20
4/20
5/21
5/21

median 4/20 = 1/5, the current 80% guaranteed pain (plus that extra 2x <10% chance with the non-forced direct impact and blast) is slightly better, is fine
Matt

Post by Matt »

Latest update requires you to hold Use to pick up stimpacks or medikits if you'd waste hitpoints.

Same goes for berserk but for 25hp only and if you're not berserk you auto-pickup anyway.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

That's possibly the best compromise I've seen on the "use to pickup vs. touch to pickup" debate :laff:

Revisited this again with Vanilla Essence and it seems that there's a bit of an incompatibility. If MDT is loaded first things (seem to) work fine, but if MDT is loaded after VE, certain effects don't toggle correctly (such as resolution scaling). Not sure why this is but maybe worth looking into.

8-)
Matt

Post by Matt »

I can't even begin to imagine how to think of where to look to start to guess at where I could begin to consider what might be the problem there. o_O

What specific effects are affected?

(Meanwhile, the other item on my to-do list is to just.... redo the archvile attack. Why? Because I just played a map where you're supposed to fight an archvile in completely open ground and your only hope is to be always causing infighting with the barons accompanying it. At that point in the encounter I did not have enough health to survive a single blast, for a timing puzzle that hinged heavily on the attack chance RNG. The readme said it was tested for co-op.)
Zaratul

Post by Zaratul »

Playing this today, really great gameplay mod with lots of subtle changes. I have two suggestions:
-regeneration is controversial feature and IMO not really needed, it changes health balance too much
-tone down chaingunners please, they don`t need more buffs, IMO set it to vanilla behaviour
Matt

Post by Matt »

Your suggestions have been carefully considered and summarily discarded.
(EDIT: I almost reconsidered nerfing their damage output because of the nerfs to the shotgun guy, but then I remembered why it was like that to begin with. Anyway, MDT chaingun guy is way easier to dodge and their increased damage reflects that.)

Latest update changes the archvile attack to a dodgeable projectile.

[EDIT: Fixed the friendliness of the summoned imps.]

EDIT: I've been finding myself hyperfixating on this all week in the most fruitless and repetitive way, so maybe if I post about the problem I can stop thinking about it:

This can break the archvile on maps that give barely enough clearance for the archvile to have LOS to attack, but not enough to allow any projectiles to pass through.

On further reflection I think we can just say fuck those maps.
Wait, forgot about all those scenarios where the archvile is on a platform on a different height from the player and there might be railings or windows in between, where it's perfectly possible for the player to shoot the archvile but the monster AI is too stupid to make sure their own projectiles are clear.
This is still a live problem.
Matt

Post by Matt »

The archvile shot now noclips through walls, exploding only on actors, until it has passed the spot where the target was last seen at the time of launch (after which it will continue as a normal fastprojectile).

The radius flame effect now also has a LOS check.
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by namsan »

Is it possible to release the Monster only version of this mod?
I would like to fight against tougher monsters in this mod, with other weapon mods.
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Samarai1000 »

namsan wrote:Is it possible to release the Monster only version of this mod?
I would like to fight against tougher monsters in this mod, with other weapon mods.
I can verify that a monsters-only version isn't needed, in most cases. If you load a weapons-only mod AFTER MDT, you'll have the MDT's monster tweaks but with the weapons of whatever mod you're using. A recent-ish update also improved compatibility with weapon mods by making it so projectiles being affected by your momentum ONLY applies to MDT weapons.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”