minor doom tweaks

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

minor doom tweaks

Post by Matt »

https://mc776.neocities.org/dl/mdt.pk7

I've mentioned this patch elsewhere and figured I'd put it up here in case anyone else wanted some ideas or to just change up their game a bit.

It smooths out a few Doom quirks that I've never really liked or found justifiable (at least not in a freelooking modern port) while trying to keep the original degree of difficulty (zombiemen notwithstanding), while adding some new behaviour to make a few guns a bit less "click and drag the monster into the dead bin".

It should be compatible with autoaim though I've never tested it to any significant extent.

Full (more or less) list of changes in the readme.
(open the pk7 as a 7z)
Last edited by Matt on Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:45 am, edited 22 times in total.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Re: minor doom tweaks

Post by m8f »

mdt-2020-08-08.pk7/readme.mdt.txt wrote:Matt's Minor Doom Tweaks
Last updated 2020-08-08

This GZDoom mod slightly adjusts gameplay to deal with my most major peeves about vanilla. It makes weapons more powerful and some enemies less competent but more devastating in their attacks, while others are either more aggressive or harder to hit in exchange for fewer hitpoints.

Weapon changes:

Fist punches a bit faster and doesn't alert monsters.
Chainsaw alerts monsters on raise.
All bullet weapons are now inaccurate in a narrow cone rather than a wide fan.
Pistol a bit faster but less accurate on continuous fire. A bit more damage and much less lag on each shot.
Faster raise and lower on nearly all weapons. Pistol and fist much faster.
Shotgun fires in a much smaller cone and fires faster.
Super shotgun fires faster in a smaller cone, but its super damage only goes out to a few feet.
Chaingun can now fire a single shot, and fires faster in a smaller cone, but is never pinpoint accurate. It is much faster but has wind-up and wind-down delays.
Rockets start off slower but accelerate in the air.
Plasma gun fires faster but can overheat, causing inaccuracy and delays in shooting.
BFG has tweaked aesthetic effects and always fires at the same rate.
All projectile weapons inherit player momentum, but the rocket loses this as it accelerates forward.
Projectiles can teleport, and are generally smaller letting them reach more potential targets.
Player view and attack height corrected to sprite eye level.
Ammo no longer gets wasted if you pick up a unit larger than you can carry.
Player will start to regenerate health after neither shooting nor getting hurt for more than ~16 seconds, to a maximum of 50.

Monster changes:

Zombies move faster, shoot semi-rapid-fire, and have 30 health.
Shotgun guys move faster and fire a single blast of seven weak pellets in a tight cone - it's the cone that's placed off target, as though a player were firing inaccurately.
Chaingun guys fire faster but don't hit quite as hard on each shot, and use the pistol sound.
Imps move faster.
Demons move faster and have better reach, but fewer hitpoints.
Barons and cacos have less health but attack more aggressively.
Baron/knight shots move faster.
Revenants have smoother missile animation, slightly shorter but the delay before the missile is longer. They have much less mass and distinctly fewer hitpoints, but move slightly faster.
Archviles easier to pain but tougher and more aggressive.
Arachnotrons and spider masterminds stop shooting to readjust if you stray too far from their standing angle.
Cyberdemons are now vulnerable to the player's rocket explosions, removing the disincentive to use rockets against them.
All machine gun monsters fire in long, extremely rapid bursts that are somewhat easier to avoid, but woe to whoever does not avoid them.
Many monster hitboxes are slimmed down a bit to somewhat better match their sprites.
All hitscanners lag a little in following the target before shooting, making lateral movement no longer useless.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

This is really fun. Everything feels just slightly tuned up, slightly punchier, slightly more satisfying. This might put me back on playing vanilla again.

I think the bullet puff sound is a little too loud though. At first I thought it was a "hitmarker" sound but when I realized it wasn't I was a bit disappointed. Extra feedback for hitting walls but not monsters feels a little off.

Minor gripe though, I really enjoy this overall. Thanks for posting!

8-)
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

madsnark

Post by madsnark »

armor bonuses give more than 200 armor

Matt

Post by Matt »

Intentional - I really miss old Doom versions where that would just keep on stacking. I never managed to find the upper limit as a kid - this was vanilla with no ability to summon or give - so it's arbitrarily set to 666.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

just as a side note, there was not actually a cap in the old vanilla versions, you could go up to 2147483647 - and then if you get any more you'll roll over into negative armor which makes any attack whatsoever immediately kill you with insane force. It was impossible to make an episode that had that many bonuses though, due to memory limits, but it was discovered there was a way to use the secret level to create a level loop where you could make it possible.

Probably not worth emulating in this mod, but that's how it was
Matt

Post by Matt »

Probably not worth emulating.

Probably.

(also more adjustments to the impact sounds, including some for the chain grinder)
ronsmith
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ronsmith »

Matt wrote:https://mc776.neocities.org/dl/mdt-2020-08-26.pk7

I've mentioned this patch elsewhere and figured I'd put it up here in case anyone else wanted some ideas or to just change up their game a bit.

It smooths out a few Doom quirks that I've never really liked or found justifiable (at least not in a freelooking modern port) while trying to keep the original degree of difficulty (zombiemen notwithstanding), while adding some new behaviour to make a few guns a bit less "click and drag the monster into the dead bin".

It should be compatible with autoaim though I've never tested it to any significant extent.

Full (more or less) list of changes in the readme.
It's a pretty big patch. I love it
Last edited by ronsmith on Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Wondering if anyone finds the rockets, plasma or BFG too weak now that it's harder to aim. Been thinking about making the projectiles faster but not without making the arachnotrons much stronger or everything else easier than vanilla.
MentzWolf
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by MentzWolf »

I absolutely love this mod, however I feel like the SSG is pretty ineffective against crowds of weaker enemies due to the tighter cone of fire. I feel like the cone should be ever so slightly wider to really make it stand out from the standard shotgun. Otherwise keep up the good work!
Matt

Post by Matt »

MentzWolf wrote:however I feel like the SSG is pretty ineffective against crowds of weaker enemies due to the tighter cone of fire. I feel like the cone should be ever so slightly wider to really make it stand out from the standard shotgun.
I've increased the spread again, but also increased the rate of fire since it's still gonna be a lot worse at stunning multiple targets with fewer pellets.

I've sped up some of the projectiles, but the arachnotrons will still use speed 25.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Most monster projectiles can now randomly adjust for player momentum. Have fun!

EDIT: fixed up that code and made it only applicable to a few things instead of to everything.
Matt

Post by Matt »

WolfensteinSS has now been modified.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I've added a thing that checks for duplicate ExMy/MAPxx lumps and lets the player know what custom maps might have been added, because a lot of single custom maps aren't E1M1/MAP01 for whatever reason and no one ever reads anything.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”