Oblige Realm 667 Mod - play with all monsters and weapons

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheGrandGumby
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Oblige Realm 667 Mod - play with all monsters and weapons

Post by TheGrandGumby »

What is this?
This mod adds a multitude of monsters and weapons to Oblige / Obaddon. If you are not familiar with Oblige, it is a level generator for Doom.

The methodology behind this mod is fairly simple...

Firstly, it allows you to play Oblige levels with a bunch of new monsters and weapons, which was possible before with Colorful Hell or Complex Doom for example. However, this takes it a step further by allowing you to customize which monsters you want to fight and which ones you don’t. Same deal with the weapons.

Secondly, it was designed in a very modular way. The pk3 files are just collections of wad files. If you like a specific monster and want to include it in your mod, you can just extract the wad containing that specific monster and include it in your mod. How can you know if you like a specific monster without playing against it first?

Release Model
I'm not going to put versions numbers on this. I've been putting in code updates once or twice a week at least, not only bug fixes but new content (weapons, monsters, features, balance changes). Just check back every so often and see when the latest commit is. If you have an issue with it, try downloading the latest version. If that doesn't fix your problem, put in an issue on the github page and I'll take a look.

I need feedback on this
Here are the things I need help with the most:
  • Weapon Slot Priority - the order of the weapons in each slot
  • Selection Order - what weapon gets switched to when you run out of ammo
  • Enemy Bugs - does an enemy use the wrong sound or graphic for something?
  • Weapon Bugs - does a weapon sound weird or look weird? (other than the 4:3 screen ratio ones)
  • Balance Issues - is a certain enemy too tough? Is a weapon too OP?
  • Suggestions? Are there any tweaks you would do to the interface or make a zscript menu? Would you add another suggested mod to the list?
Can you include this or that monster or weapon in your mod?
Short answer: yes, please send me a wad with that monster or weapon. If you only have a pk3, I'll give it a try to extract it. This is assuming the author has given permission, or it is Public Domain, or GPL, or something that already infringes on someone else's copyrights (e.g. Half Life weapons). I'd like to stay in good standing with the community, so if any author asks me to take down a weapon or monster, I probably will.

Demo Footage

Thanks
Big thanks to the ZDoom discord, especially Agent Ash aka Jekyll Grimm, and 3saster. But really thanks to anyone and everyone who helped me out on the chat. I don’t remember exactly who helped me out, but it is a very helpful, non-elitist community. I can’t stress enough how grateful I am for their help.

Thanks to the Realm667 website folks who provide a valuable resource to the Doom community.

Obviously big thanks to all the developers of Oblige and Obaddon. They have been very helpful in the chat as well.

Thanks to the original creators of the wads (credits in each wad).

Thanks to the creator of the Warhammer mod that I stole the Bolter from. Thank you nekostuffing. https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... -astartes/

Zero thanks to my wife, who complains about how much I play Doom.

Full credits (too big to fit on a forum post): https://www.dropbox.com/s/fx39twwd0er5u ... S.txt?dl=0

Full Documentation and Usage Instructions
https://github.com/mridlen/Oblige_Realm ... tation.pdf

Basic Usage:
1) Generate your wad in Oblige
2) Drag and drop the generated wad, Realm667.pk3, Realm667_weapons.pk3, TargetSpy, and BigBackpack.wad onto the GZDoom.exe.
3) It is also recommended that you turn on weapon names. Options -> HUD Options -> Display Nametags -> Weapons

Download Link
You can download this as a full fork or an addon for Oblige. If you don't already have Oblige, just get the fork version.
Download the Oblige fork:
Dropbox (download the latest zip): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qienjlrbamj3 ... izPla?dl=0
GitHub: https://github.com/mridlen/Oblige_Realm667 (note, this uses Git LFS, so you'll need to download the pk3 files manually from the website one by one.)

Download the Oblige module here: https://github.com/mridlen/Oblige_Realm667_Mod/releases (Note: The module version is likely to be out of date from the fork version. I will try to update it from time to time.)
Last edited by TheGrandGumby on Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Xim

Re: Oblige Realm 667 Mod - play with all monsters and weapon

Post by Xim »

Tried this out and it's pretty cool.
It seems that disabled weapons will still spawn, I tried making a mappack without any side-view weapons and they all still spawned. If there's anymore issues I'll try and let you know.

But this is pretty cool stuff, Oblige is a guilty pleasure of mine and I'm really liking the new ObAddon stuff.
TheGrandGumby

Post by TheGrandGumby »

Hey thanks for the feedback. I'll check the settings and see if I can duplicate the issue.

Edit: I've been able to duplicate the problem, but I have no idea why this is happening... it's a mysterious problem. I'm asking the Oblige folks for some help.
undeadmonk354

Post by undeadmonk354 »

I've been testing the Oblige Realm667 mod, and I've enjoyed it.

Edit: I've submitted the Loper submission with permission from the creator of Doom X. (Pierre Ramirez)
TheGrandGumby

Post by TheGrandGumby »

undeadmonk354: Thanks! I'll get the Loper added to my mod in the next update.

Xim:I haven't made any traction on figuring out the cause of this bug. For now, I'd suggest going in to the modules\realm667_weapons.lua and disable them manually by setting "add_prob = 0" on the ones that you want to disable.

Ok I found the bug... this line was commented out... by myself... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Code: Select all

setup = REALM667W.weapon_setup
The bug is now fixed in the git repository.
YasuoProjectX
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YasuoProjectX »

I've been looking for this wad, thanks 👍👍👍
TheGrandGumby

Post by TheGrandGumby »

I found a bunch more monsters in this collection:

viewtopic.php?t=55239

Unfortunately, many of them I've had to comment out a lot of code. I'm not sure what is working and what is not yet. Next update is going to be a big one, but it might be a little bit until its ready.
TheGrandGumby

Post by TheGrandGumby »

The total number of monster resource wads in now 378 (the actual number of monsters exceeds that number, assuredly 400+ different varieties)

Please let me know if there are any problems with this release.

If you want the old version, I've saved it under the releases section.

https://github.com/mridlen/Oblige_Realm667/releases

Some of these monsters are... a little risque. If you want to see pixelated demon boobs, there is a separate "Adult" section in the menu. :lol: It's not really that bad, but just in case you are playing around your mom or something. It just makes it easy to turn off the potentially objectionable content.
TheGrandGumby

Post by TheGrandGumby »

I've included the companions Isabelle, Susie, and Ralsei (after converting them to wad format, and fixing the console errors)

You can summon them from the console ("summon isabelle") or you can turn them on in the Allies menu. Bear in mind that if they get added to a level, there will be a lot of them. 8-)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

It's coming to my attention that you've been throwing in a lot of other people's Companion mods in here without much evidence that you are asking any of those people for permission. I was not able to find a comprehensive list of credits anywhere in your Github repo, either.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

wildweasel wrote:It's coming to my attention that you've been throwing in a lot of other people's Companion mods in here without much evidence that you are asking any of those people for permission. I was not able to find a comprehensive list of credits anywhere in your Github repo, either.
Its not exact specific credits, but the OP definitely has this in it:
OP wrote:Thanks
Big thanks to the ZDoom discord, especially Agent Ash aka Jekyll Grimm, and 3saster. But really thanks to anyone and everyone who helped me out on the chat. I don’t remember exactly who helped me out, but it is a very helpful, non-elitist community. I can’t stress enough how grateful I am for their help.

Thanks to the Realm667 website folks who provide a valuable resource to the Doom community.

Obviously big thanks to all the developers of Oblige and Obaddon. They have been very helpful in the chat as well.

Thanks to the original creators of the wads (credits in each wad).

Thanks to the creator of the Warhammer mod that I stole the Bolter from. Thank you nekostuffing. https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... -astartes/
Its fairly clear that the dude's making a huge salad mod without any claim or pretense that he made everything in it himself. I see it more as a collage / tribute kind of thing, rather than some malicious stealing. Frankly with the sheer amount of mods that are being piled into this mega mix thing make it exhausting to keep track of individual credits, so I think its fine the way he handled it in the OP.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

If the amount is too much, i guess it's okay to ask the original source of certain mods and resources here in this thread. I found it quite hard to keep on track.
TheGrandGumby

Post by TheGrandGumby »

The credits can be found in the individual wads in the pk3. In some cases, they didn't leave credits in the wads, especially some of the ones in WARCHILD_89's repository, so I don't really know for sure if all of them are legitimate. I'm just assuming so.

If anyone wants something pulled from this mod, I am fully willing to do so. Really I'm not trying to screw over anyone's hard work.

On that note, I'll build a full list of credits for what I have at the moment.
coolkid2000

Post by coolkid2000 »

so i tryed this out and the wad it makes just had a lot of those floating error things, are the new monsters and weapon supposed to be in the wads? I'm using the download with oblige packed in
TheGrandGumby

Post by TheGrandGumby »

Yeah you need to run the wad with at least the Realm667.pk3 and the Realm667_weapons.pk3 and probably the TargetSpy and BigBackpack.wad as well (recommended).

Return to “Gameplay Mods”