[WIP] Malice - Version 1.0pre [REINFORCEMENTS]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [WIP] Malice - Version 1.0pre [SUPERS?]

Postby austen1000 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:57 pm

Thank you for this mod. I've been enjoying it alongside the Dark Doom monster mod (until Project Malice sees a public release) and Legendoom Lite. However, I noticed one thing. The Tractor Beam feels a little too powerful in many cases, outside of maybe boss tier enemies. The alt mode that pushes enemies away is espicially powerful. Most enemies will be stunlocked and unable to retaliate as they take damage (I noticed this with other monster packs as well). It can effectively clear rooms without needing to use other weapons. It does become less effective in wide open spaces, but it trivializes close quarters combat. Could use a nerf of some kind, even if it as simple as giving it an ammo limit or something similar.

Edit: Well, originally noticed two things, but I was a dumb dumb and thought the jump feature was glitched, but turns out it was working as intended. My bad.
austen1000
 
Joined: 23 Feb 2017

Re: [WIP] Malice - Version 1.0pre [SUPERS?]

Postby TheRailgunner » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:20 pm

austen1000 wrote:Thank you for this mod. I've been enjoying it alongside the Dark Doom monster mod (until Project Malice sees a public release) and Legendoom Lite. However, I noticed one thing. The Tractor Beam feels a little too powerful in many cases, outside of maybe boss tier enemies. The alt mode that pushes enemies away is espicially powerful. Most enemies will be stunlocked and unable to retaliate as they take damage (I noticed this with other monster packs as well). It can effectively clear rooms without needing to use other weapons. It does become less effective in wide open spaces, but it trivializes close quarters combat. Could use a nerf of some kind, even if it as simple as giving it an ammo limit or something similar.

Edit: Well, originally noticed two things, but I was a dumb dumb and thought the jump feature was glitched, but turns out it was working as intended. My bad.


Sorry it took me so long to respond, life is demanding and such.

I'm thinking about giving it a regenerating charge, which would allow it to retain its usefulness, but not its overpoweredness.

At any rate, I've got some bugs and inconsistencies to fix - mainly:

*The delayed-input system prevents the N12 and the N4 from firing during a sprint if the reload key has been pressed while the magazine is full (only if the fire or altfire keys are pressed, not held)
*Attempting to reload the Surfeit Torment while the magazine is full during a sprint causes it to rock back and forth uncontrollably until the sprint ends or the weapon is fired (in the latter event, it will immediately reload after firing - potentially useful?)
*The damaged N4's altfire occasionally fires a Super version of its normal projectiles

Also, a brief roadmap for Malice if I hope to release it by April 2nd:

*Polishing and toning down any effects that handicap performance
*Adding more fancy Super FX
*Finishing the Surfeit Torment's animations - select/deselect, reload, and ADS remain
*Proximity Control Rifle in general
*Minor changes to melee
*IWAD compatibility
*Increased frame durations for zooming, unzooming, and special function keys (fire selectors, weapon status modifiers, grenade and super selectors)
*Shrinking the size of the N10's rear sights during sprinting animations
*Deciding whether or not the N10 should keep its full-auto setting
*Anything else I forgot to mention

Welp, I've given myself...*checks calender*...22 days to make this happen. At worst, if I haven't finished this mod by then, I'll postpone 1.0's release for a week or two.
User avatar
TheRailgunner
Words go here.
 
Joined: 08 Jul 2013

Re: [WIP] Malice - Version 1.0pre [SUPERS?]

Postby m_falcone » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:17 am

Hey, big fan of this mod. The weapons are punchy as hell and the reloads are delicious. But you see, the mod doesn't work very well performance wise and the explosions and fancy fx kill the framerate as much as they kill the demons. Would it be possible to please make some performance sliders to improve the performance. The main offenders the tractor beam, the and the CFG, oh god the CFG. Now about the NZero Garand, that weapon is beautiful, in design and balance and pings. Although it is quite rare which I suppose is alright considering its lore. I also noticed that it doesn't have any fire selectors or weapon modifiers. Is that intentional or just a bug? I would love to see an additional semi auto fire mode for the Garand as it would fit it quite well. The rocket launcher replacement seems very underwhelming, it takes two to three burst photon torpedoes to take down a mancubus which I found to be strange. It could do with a buff. The N7 is also a very good weapon that almost fills the niche of the chaingun and although the reload is beautiful to look at, it does take a tad long. About upgrades, I don't understand how they spawn or work. I'm playing doom 2 reloaded and I don't think I've found one yet.
m_falcone
 
Joined: 10 Jun 2020

Re: [WIP] Malice - Version 1.0pre [SUPERS?]

Postby TheRailgunner » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:26 pm

m_falcone wrote:Hey, big fan of this mod. The weapons are punchy as hell and the reloads are delicious. But you see, the mod doesn't work very well performance wise and the explosions and fancy fx kill the framerate as much as they kill the demons. Would it be possible to please make some performance sliders to improve the performance. The main offenders the tractor beam, the and the CFG, oh god the CFG. Now about the NZero Garand, that weapon is beautiful, in design and balance and pings. Although it is quite rare which I suppose is alright considering its lore. I also noticed that it doesn't have any fire selectors or weapon modifiers. Is that intentional or just a bug? I would love to see an additional semi auto fire mode for the Garand as it would fit it quite well. The rocket launcher replacement seems very underwhelming, it takes two to three burst photon torpedoes to take down a mancubus which I found to be strange. It could do with a buff. The N7 is also a very good weapon that almost fills the niche of the chaingun and although the reload is beautiful to look at, it does take a tad long. About upgrades, I don't understand how they spawn or work. I'm playing doom 2 reloaded and I don't think I've found one yet.


Alright - SO:

*Yes, I need to improve the performance on many of the effects. It's in the cards, and is a primary goal I need to accomplish before 1.0.
*The M-Zero Garand (technically M1/2431 "M-Zero" Garand) lacking fire selectors and weapon modifiers is intentional, though I may give it semi-auto by default (and likely a fire selector as well). However, I am adding an extra player class that will be able to, among other things, fire the M-Zero in burst-fire.
*I may make the reload time for the N7 shorter, but you can actually fire the weapon before the reload animation is complete - once the magazine is in, it can be fired - the charging animation can be skipped altogether.
*Two to three K-JACK bursts to take down a Manc? Huh - it usually takes me two to three single torpedoes, though I also play with Critical Shots, so maybe I should clear my autoload and test everything with Malice alone.
*There aren't upgrades - that was something I did for my previous mod, The Trooper. I didn't want to make getting the most out of weapons too much of a grind, so I designed Malice's arsenal with the idea of full-functionality from the moment you pick the weapons up.

What version of the mod are you running with? Right now the most recent version available to the public is v1pre_LF.
User avatar
TheRailgunner
Words go here.
 
Joined: 08 Jul 2013

Re: [WIP] Malice - Version 1.0pre [SUPERS?]

Postby m_falcone » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:03 pm

I am running the v1 pre LF found in the first page. But I am confused about the railgun having no zoom settings. In the main post you said that it has 3 zoom levels but I cannot seem to access anything other than 4x
m_falcone
 
Joined: 10 Jun 2020

Re: [WIP] Malice - Version 1.0pre [SUPERS?]

Postby TheRailgunner » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:53 pm

m_falcone wrote:I am running the v1 pre LF found in the first page. But I am confused about the railgun having no zoom settings. In the main post you said that it has 3 zoom levels but I cannot seem to access anything other than 4x


Shit, I forgot to edit the opening post - I removed the extra zoom levels for the sake of ease-of-use (cycling through three different zoom settings during a firefight is cumbersome). I might make a Weapon State function to set the zoom level so that players don't have to cycle through them via the Zoom state.

Other things on my end (not yet publicly available):

*Increased the grenade stock recharge time by a factor of 3 (it'll take 3 times as long for spare grenades to regenerate); cooldown is unaffected.
*Increased the Power Melee recharge/cooldown timer by a factor of 4.
*Using Golden Arsenal with the Surfeit Torment causes an explosion upon impact (really, the Super mode for this weapon is intended to evoke Destiny's Golden Gun super outright, moreso than with other weapons)
*The N12 now deals greater damage to the first target it hits directly, as I felt dissatisfied with its performance as a heavy marksman weapon and wanted to give it more "oomph".

Another thing I'm considering adding - Reinforcements: specifically, an item that allows you to summon friendly fellow Legionnaires to assist you in combat. At the moment, I'm thinking of two team types:
*Standard - two Legionnaires with N7 Battle Rifles, one with a N4 Heavy Sidearm, one with the N10 Shotgun, and one with a N12 Railgun, for a grand total of five spare Legionnaires, all with energy shields much like your own! They'll stick around until the end of the level.
*Zero - much as the above, but swapping the Sidearm Legionnaire for a Zero Legionnaire Captain with a Proximity Control Rifle and one of the N7 Legionnaires with a Zero Legionnaire Destroyer, armed with the K-JACK Photon Torpedo Launcher. These formidable allies will possess AT Fields in addition to their energy shields. Unlike the Standard Reinforcements, they will return to their ship after a certain period of time, as they would otherwise be nigh-unstoppable.
User avatar
TheRailgunner
Words go here.
 
Joined: 08 Jul 2013

Re: [WIP] Malice - Version 1.0pre [SUPERS?]

Postby m_falcone » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:11 pm

Damn, this all sounds cool as hell, am I right in assuming the proximity control rifle is the new magless machine gun? Sounds good but power melee cooldown and recharge being increased by 4x, phew thats a lot. Maybe it reverts back to normal with a berserk pack?
m_falcone
 
Joined: 10 Jun 2020

Re: [WIP] Malice - Version 1.0pre [SUPERS?]

Postby TheRailgunner » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:22 pm

m_falcone wrote:Damn, this all sounds cool as hell, am I right in assuming the proximity control rifle is the new magless machine gun? Sounds good but power melee cooldown and recharge being increased by 4x, phew thats a lot. Maybe it reverts back to normal with a berserk pack?


The Proximity Control Rifle, or PCR, is a weapon slated to be added to Malice before its final release; yes, it is a machine gun, and since it'll likely draw from your ammo supply directly as opposed to requiring reloading, it could be considered magless. It's basically a big ol' antimatter Gatling Gun - imagine the N4 Sidearm on steroids, with a ridiculous rate of fire (canonically, up to 100k/minute, but I might dial this down to 21k - still ten projectiles per tic, or 350 per second, however. Maybe 10.5k?). As much as I want it to share ammunition with the N4, it would chew through it far too quickly (the current maximum reserve ammo for the N4 is 900 rounds - a lot for the sidearm, but less than 3 seconds of continuous fire with the PCR in its nerfed form).

I might have the Berserk pack cut the Power Melee cooldown in half, but before increasing it, the cooldown was pretty fast - a few seconds to have any number of one-shot-kill attacks. I felt like it made the Legionnaire a bit too powerful - one could honestly pull off a fairly easy Tyson run on all but the most difficult maps as it was. As far as the grenades are concerned, the previous recharge time effectively meant infinite grenades - unless you make a point of lobbing one the instant the cooldown is over, you'd never run out. I wanted to add a bit of balance to both grenades and melee (do note that non-Power Melees are pretty strong in their own right, far more so than any in Doom or in most mods for it).
User avatar
TheRailgunner
Words go here.
 
Joined: 08 Jul 2013

Re: [WIP] Malice - Version 1.0pre [SUPERS?]

Postby m_falcone » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:38 pm

An antimatter Gatling gun. Thats all I needed to hear. Will it have a new type of ammo and what weapon will it spawn on or replace? The melee was a bit op before. Berserk halving the cooldown seems reasonable and grenades are quite a good change though the neutron burst has a very big aoe that can get you from a good distance away.
m_falcone
 
Joined: 10 Jun 2020

Re: [WIP] Malice - Version 1.0pre [ANTIMATTER GATLING GUN]

Postby TheRailgunner » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:55 pm

m_falcone wrote:An antimatter Gatling gun. Thats all I needed to hear. Will it have a new type of ammo and what weapon will it spawn on or replace? The melee was a bit op before. Berserk halving the cooldown seems reasonable and grenades are quite a good change though the neutron burst has a very big aoe that can get you from a good distance away.


Probably a new type of ammo - at the moment, it uses the N4's ammo supply, which, as large as it is, the weapon chews through pretty quickly. Speaking of the Proximity Control Rifle...:



It's almost done, pending some polishing and bugfixing. I've decided to have the rate-of-fire slowly increase as its fired, from 2100 to 10,500 over the course of five seconds, to make the weapon more useful in-game. I'm fairly sure the firing sounds aren't final, and I haven't done all of the proper movement sounds done.

In addition, I gave +RIPPER to the M-Zero's normal projectiles, though the damage may not be final, and removed ammo expenditure from the Golden Arsenal Super - a necessity given the PCR's absurd rate of fire.

All that really leaves is...IWAD compatibility and Reinforcements?
User avatar
TheRailgunner
Words go here.
 
Joined: 08 Jul 2013

Re: [WIP] Malice - Version 1.0pre [ANTIMATTER GATLING GUN]

Postby Rez » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:09 am

One small thing: I cant ever get used to double-tap to dash, no matter what game it pops up.
Please check if its much work to add an option for dashing with the sprint button instead.
Dashing forward into a sprint already flows so damn well.

Thanks!
Rez
 
Joined: 19 Nov 2018

Re: [WIP] Malice - Version 1.0pre [ANTIMATTER GATLING GUN]

Postby m_falcone » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:57 am

TheRailgunner wrote:
m_falcone wrote:An antimatter Gatling gun. Thats all I needed to hear. Will it have a new type of ammo and what weapon will it spawn on or replace? The melee was a bit op before. Berserk halving the cooldown seems reasonable and grenades are quite a good change though the neutron burst has a very big aoe that can get you from a good distance away.


Probably a new type of ammo - at the moment, it uses the N4's ammo supply, which, as large as it is, the weapon chews through pretty quickly. Speaking of the Proximity Control Rifle...:



It's almost done, pending some polishing and bugfixing. I've decided to have the rate-of-fire slowly increase as its fired, from 2100 to 10,500 over the course of five seconds, to make the weapon more useful in-game. I'm fairly sure the firing sounds aren't final, and I haven't done all of the proper movement sounds done.

In addition, I gave +RIPPER to the M-Zero's normal projectiles, though the damage may not be final, and removed ammo expenditure from the Golden Arsenal Super - a necessity given the PCR's absurd rate of fire.

All that really leaves is...IWAD compatibility and Reinforcements?



Well. This is brilliant. Mental indeed. I love the proximity control rifle already. 2100 rounds per minute or second? Either one sounds good. Though they both would only be good for a tiny amount of time. I love the ROF increasing the longer it is fired.
m_falcone
 
Joined: 10 Jun 2020

Re: [WIP] Malice - Version 1.0pre [ALMOST FINISHED]

Postby TheRailgunner » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:22 pm

m_falcone wrote:Well. This is brilliant. Mental indeed. I love the proximity control rifle already. 2100 rounds per minute or second? Either one sounds good. Though they both would only be good for a tiny amount of time. I love the ROF increasing the longer it is fired.


Per minute, though it's just the starting ROF.

Rez wrote:One small thing: I cant ever get used to double-tap to dash, no matter what game it pops up.
Please check if its much work to add an option for dashing with the sprint button instead.
Dashing forward into a sprint already flows so damn well.

Thanks!


I'll see how possible this is - it should be, at any rate.

I still have to increase the duration of function keys and zoom/unzoom states. In the meantime, here's a Reinforcements demo (also, finished the Surfeit Torment and decided to omit ADS for it - I might revisit this if I can find suitable hands for it):



The arsenal is more or less finished - the mod itself isn't finished owing to a need for further polish and rebalancing, but it's very nearly complete.

Feel free to test it out - I do expect a few bugs to persist, but as far as I know none game-breaking.
User avatar
TheRailgunner
Words go here.
 
Joined: 08 Jul 2013

Re: [WIP] Malice - Version 1.0pre [ALMOST FINISHED]

Postby m_falcone » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:55 am

TheRailgunner wrote:
m_falcone wrote:Well. This is brilliant. Mental indeed. I love the proximity control rifle already. 2100 rounds per minute or second? Either one sounds good. Though they both would only be good for a tiny amount of time. I love the ROF increasing the longer it is fired.


Per minute, though it's just the starting ROF.

Rez wrote:One small thing: I cant ever get used to double-tap to dash, no matter what game it pops up.
Please check if its much work to add an option for dashing with the sprint button instead.
Dashing forward into a sprint already flows so damn well.

Thanks!


I'll see how possible this is - it should be, at any rate.

I still have to increase the duration of function keys and zoom/unzoom states. In the meantime, here's a Reinforcements demo (also, finished the Surfeit Torment and decided to omit ADS for it - I might revisit this if I can find suitable hands for it):



The arsenal is more or less finished - the mod itself isn't finished owing to a need for further polish and rebalancing, but it's very nearly complete.

Feel free to test it out - I do expect a few bugs to persist, but as far as I know none game-breaking.

Okay did a bunch of testing and am loving the PCR. Didn't find any bugs so thats amazing. There are a few big hits to performance, mainly on the SF alt, infernal shockwave, tractor beam, railgun and CFG. The more the PCR's fire rate increases the more the framerate decreases. Love the the supers and the changes to the the power melee cooldown are quite welcome. The reinforcements are a bit iffy, they push you aroud a lot. Also I never found any PCR ammo in game except from backpacks and PCR pickups. And firemode switches planned for it? Balancing wise a lot of things have recieved a buff I see. The garand now one hits pinkys and spectres sometimes which I dont know is intended or not. The rocket launcher damage seems buffed wgich is a welcome change. Homing missiles are very unreliable though as they mostly hit the ground below an enemy dealing very little damage and can sometimes freak out against flying enemies. All the same a very good update, fun as hell as always and good work. I give my thumbs up.
m_falcone
 
Joined: 10 Jun 2020

Re: [WIP] Malice - Version 1.0pre [REINFORCEMENTS]

Postby TheRailgunner » Mon May 03, 2021 10:30 am

I'll see what I can do about that stuff - I doubt the PCR's gonna see any new firing modes, though - it does the one thing, and does it very well.

I improved Reinforcements somewhat - namely, they don't kill each other (or you) anymore, and they now teleport to your location beyond a certain distance so they don't get too lost or distracted. They still need more work, but I'm more satisfied with the results so far.
User avatar
TheRailgunner
Words go here.
 
Joined: 08 Jul 2013

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kinsie, The Nameless Watcher and 15 guests