[WIP] Malice - Version 1.0pre [NEARLY COMPLETE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [WIP] Malice - Version 1.0pre [FISTS!]

Postby TheRailgunner » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:21 pm

Rodman909 wrote:
TheRailgunner wrote:
Rodman909 wrote:The HUD isn't showing up for some reason.

Can you tell me what settings you're running with and possibly a screenshot?

Also, I gave the Legion Fists a proper Idle frame and selection animation.

Here's what my screen looks like.
[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/7yGxHl7.jpg[/imgur]
These are my HUD scale settings.
[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/60GUZZN.png[/imgur]
EDIT: The same thing happens when I load earlier versions of Malice.

I suspect you've got the alternative HUD turned on - I could be wrong (shield effects and stuff don't show up in alt-HUD).
TheRailgunner
Words go here.

Postby Rodman909 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:43 pm

TheRailgunner wrote:I suspect you've got the alternative HUD turned on - I could be wrong (shield effects and stuff don't show up in alt-HUD).

Actually, I don't have the alternative HUD turned on.
Capture-min.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rodman909

Discord: #5312
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby TheRailgunner » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:58 pm

Rodman909 wrote:
TheRailgunner wrote:I suspect you've got the alternative HUD turned on - I could be wrong (shield effects and stuff don't show up in alt-HUD).

Actually, I don't have the alternative HUD turned on.
Capture-min.PNG

Huh - try hitting + or - ? I have no idea what's causing it at this point.
TheRailgunner
Words go here.

Postby Rodman909 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:16 pm

TheRailgunner wrote:Huh - try hitting + or - ? I have no idea what's causing it at this point.

OK, I hit "+" and it's showing up now. Thanks!
Rodman909

Discord: #5312

Postby rhyrhygogo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:19 pm

Quick Question, How do upgrades spawn or how to spawn them and Will you still do the proximity control rifle or has that already been added?
rhyrhygogo

Re: [WIP] Malice - Version 1.0pre [SUPERS?]

Postby TheRailgunner » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:44 pm

rhyrhygogo wrote:Quick Question, How do upgrades spawn or how to spawn them and Will you still do the proximity control rifle or has that already been added?

None of the weapons in Malice have upgrades except for the Nishimura Seven Battle Rifle (the Hyperspace Magazine spawns VERY rarely in the place of clipboxes). While the undamaged Nishimura Four is technically an "upgrade" from the damaged version, they're functionally separate weapons.

The PCR is still in the works; currently, its role is filled by the undamaged Nishimura Four Sidearm.

Also, a final feature I'm hoping to finish before 1.0...Supers - right now they're unpolished, but functional:

The three Super attacks are:

*Golden Arsenal - Multiplies your weapons' damage by 5, excluding melee and grenades (the latter may change later). I may limit this one by preventing weapon switching while the Super is active and skirt around ammo expenditure as a bonus. Lasts 30 seconds.
*Infernal Shockwave - Fairly straightforward - a massive, destructive wave that is all but guaranteed to clean out a room, and then some. Unlike the other two Supers, Infernal Shockwave immediately depletes your Super bar.
*Juggernaut Fists - Vastly increases the speed, range, and general destructive force of your melee attacks. You constantly regenerate health and shield points while this Super is active. Like Golden Arsenal, it lasts 30 seconds.

I'm still adjusting the timing and such regarding cooldown and such, but this is essentially the last thing I feel like cramming into the mod, apart from a self-destruct feature for the damaged Nishimura Four (I have to make sprites for a thrown pistol as a projectile - fun!).
TheRailgunner
Words go here.

Postby Linz » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:48 pm

Me thinks the Legionnaire has been playing too many fighting games
Linz

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:15 pm

When sprinting with the Nishimura Ten Shotgun equipped, the weapon suddenly looks like it has a silencer. Said silencer-looking part is not seen when holding still or not sprinting.

Also, the Fire-Selector Switch and Weapon Modifier keys feel waaay too sensitive: if I do anything but quickly tap them, they will uncontrollably scroll through options. The same goes with the Zoom key: if I press it for what seems like a millisecond too long, the weaponwill zoom in and out uncontrollably.

I am still only toying with the mod and I noticed that by using the "give weapons" console command, the malfunctioning Nishimura Four Heavy Sidearm remains in my arsenal. If I play the mod normally, will the player toss it aside once they acquire a functional one? If not, what is the point of retaining the malfunctioning one?

Finally, I have a suggestion: can there be an option to hold the aim key rather than a toggle?
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby TheRailgunner » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54 am

Laid wrote:When sprinting with the Nishimura Ten Shotgun equipped, the weapon suddenly looks like it has a silencer. Said silencer-looking part is not seen when holding still or not sprinting.

Also, the Fire-Selector Switch and Weapon Modifier keys feel waaay too sensitive: if I do anything but quickly tap them, they will uncontrollably scroll through options. The same goes with the Zoom key: if I press it for what seems like a millisecond too long, the weaponwill zoom in and out uncontrollably.

I am still only toying with the mod and I noticed that by using the "give weapons" console command, the malfunctioning Nishimura Four Heavy Sidearm remains in my arsenal. If I play the mod normally, will the player toss it aside once they acquire a functional one? If not, what is the point of retaining the malfunctioning one?

Finally, I have a suggestion: can there be an option to hold the aim key rather than a toggle?

So, I feel like I may need to make the fancy barrel choke...thingy on the N10 more visible in the idle frames and such (I can identify it on the sprites, but I also made them, so that makes sense there).

As far as the fire selector and modifier keys are concerned, I'm planning on increasing the delay to about 15-20 tics instead of the current 5 - should help a lot with that. I'll see what I can do about Zoom.

I chose to leave the malfunctioning weapon in the arsenal owing to its novelty - that, and I always intended to give it a self-destruct function in case the player really doesn't want it anymore. The functional N4 used to replace the damaged version until I gave the latter weapon a unique sprite set.

I can see what I can do about a hold/toggle option. This would actually be pretty great using a controller, but I haven't ever gotten one to function comfortably with Doom. Now I kind of want to try mapping Malice's key functions to a controller somehow...
TheRailgunner
Words go here.

Postby Wolve » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:47 pm

The mod is just screaming for like a sliding function, would be nice to have that as a reload cancel, or maybe have the berserk pack or a SUPER HEAT mode have the flame attacks with no cooldown for a genuine rip and tear experience. But that's just me. Seeing that the mod is all about fast-pace action like Ion Fury and Shadow Warrior.

Anyway, the mod in itself is already great. I'm loving how every weapon and movement feels fast yet satisfying.
Wolve

Postby Tesculpture » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:18 am

This mod looks amazingly cool, and I really want to play it...but as it stands, it suffers a problem that makes it wholly unplayable.

The mod's hud itself is a hideous performance hog. Simply having it visible causes a fps drop, and picking up one of the shield pickups reduces the game to a slideshow. Changing the screen size to one where the hud isn't visible, or turning GZDoom's alternate hud instantly resolves the loss of performance, so it is definitely the hud causing it.

Another problem, albeit not a prohibitive one, is that the ADS/weapon zoom button is on a hair trigger. Pressing it often results in zooming in then instantly back out, or vice versa if I'm already zoomed in.
Tesculpture

Postby TheRailgunner » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:02 pm

Tesculpture wrote:This mod looks amazingly cool, and I really want to play it...but as it stands, it suffers a problem that makes it wholly unplayable.

The mod's hud itself is a hideous performance hog. Simply having it visible causes a fps drop, and picking up one of the shield pickups reduces the game to a slideshow. Changing the screen size to one where the hud isn't visible, or turning GZDoom's alternate hud instantly resolves the loss of performance, so it is definitely the hud causing it.

Another problem, albeit not a prohibitive one, is that the ADS/weapon zoom button is on a hair trigger. Pressing it often results in zooming in then instantly back out, or vice versa if I'm already zoomed in.

So...fuck, that's not good. As far as the most recent version I have is concerned, I only got slowdowns when my Super was almost ready (remedied by trimming the size of the HUD graphics a great deal). I'll see what I can trim and shrink to reduce the GFX load, but if the problem winds up being the shield graphics, there probably won't be much I can do considering how much importance I place on Malice's fancy-ass HUD effects. I may, however, add a CVAR or something to disable the shield FX if it's truly irreconcilable.

As far as the Zoom and the Weapon Modifiers being on hair-triggers, I'm going to increase the delay on all of them from 5 to about 20 tics; I'll try 15 if that ends up being too clunky.

At any rate, Golden Arsenal and Juggernaut Fists are complete. I'm reworking Infernal Shockwave to use the same timer as the other two supers; apart from a brief cooldown, the Super attack can be repeated until the timer runs out, hopefully giving players a reason to use it over the other two, which currently outclass it greatly.

Wolve wrote:The mod is just screaming for like a sliding function, would be nice to have that as a reload cancel, or maybe have the berserk pack or a SUPER HEAT mode have the flame attacks with no cooldown for a genuine rip and tear experience. But that's just me. Seeing that the mod is all about fast-pace action like Ion Fury and Shadow Warrior.

Anyway, the mod in itself is already great. I'm loving how every weapon and movement feels fast yet satisfying.

I would absolutely LOVE to add a sliding function as well as a sliding reload cancel - any chance you happen to know of any mods that pulled something like that off successfully? I honestly have no idea how to do that, and I've been wanting to add sliding/crouch stuff to Malice for ages (it's actually a feature I need for later projects as well, such as The Legend, Zero, and Project Operation Unthinkable).

As far as SUPER HEAT is concerned, the Juggernaut Fists super move is basically this: all Power Melee attacks have no cooldown, have massively increased range, and deal 5x sprinting Berserk damage (Berserk already multiplies melee damage by 5, and sprinting multiplies it by 2 - meaning the total multiplier reaches goddamn 50x basic, standing melee damage).

Also, thank you, I'm actually really proud of how Malice has turned out so far - it's kind of been the culmination of all of my Doom modding learning experiments and hopefully my first truly complete project.

I've decided on a final release date for Malice - March 31, 2021. Mainly because releasing mods the day before April Fool's Day is just something I do, but it also gives me two months to finish what's left and polish the damn thing.
TheRailgunner
Words go here.

Postby Blux001 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:00 pm

I have a doubt, it will be the GZD version because I use 4.5, but when using the alternate shot that is the explosive in the pistol or in other weapons The bullet ends up exploding in my face, hurting me and losing almost all armor or great loss of life. What causes it? Or am I doing something wrong.
Blux001

Postby Siorus » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:51 am

I am glad I found this. I love these kind of mods and Malice for some reason has slipped under the radar for me. A very coherent style and really satisfying to shoot its weapons; all feels heavy, meaty and powerful.
Siorus

OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby TheRailgunner » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:44 pm

Blux001 wrote:I have a doubt, it will be the GZD version because I use 4.5, but when using the alternate shot that is the explosive in the pistol or in other weapons The bullet ends up exploding in my face, hurting me and losing almost all armor or great loss of life. What causes it? Or am I doing something wrong.

The starting pistol is damaged - it will malfunction periodically, making it an occasional hazard. As far as the other weapons, their alternate firing modes use explosive antimatter ammunition, which can hurt you at close range.

Siorus wrote:I am glad I found this. I love these kind of mods and Malice for some reason has slipped under the radar for me. A very coherent style and really satisfying to shoot its weapons; all feels heavy, meaty and powerful.

I am pleased to hear this - speaking of weapons, I've got this in the works:

The Surfeit Torment explosive revolver, from an older mod of mine, The Trooper, albeit in somewhat simplified form. Obviously, it's nowhere near finished (I've only made the two sprites shown above so far and the code is half-finished - note the lack of ammo counters on the HUD), but I felt like it was a satisfying enough weapon to warrant a revival for Malice.
TheRailgunner
Words go here.

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods