Combined_Arms Gaiden (v1.1 update 7-24-20)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Combined_Arms Gaiden (v1.1 update 7-24-20)

Postby <rd> » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:16 am

I really like fighting bunches of cybs with the Holy Water's alt-fire and the Wrecking Sledge, so much that I started summoning them lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqPQ9Acpqag

The Holy Water's alt-fire is the best against multiples, probably. A lot safer than the hammer.

Fun stuff in general. The jetpack gives you cool new ways of breaking maps playing maps differently. Same with the grappling hook, which also doubles as a hilarious low-grade weapon, with unexpected tactical uses...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifUSiBRHy04

I can see someone getting inspired by some of the abilities and making a map specifically for this mod. A lot of them basically shout at you with specific scenarios that would be great for them.
<rd>

Postby Captain J » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:02 am

Tho it penetrates the enemies and sometimes would miss the actual target, here's the tip: Throw Holy Water to your feet if you're surrounded yet too closer to them. The flame projectiles spread much wider than you can expect and are also have the RIPPER effect! Plus make them go right to the pain state.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Dwim-pon » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:51 pm

I loved Combined Arms, so I'm sure I'm going to love this! Giving it a try ASAP.
Dwim-pon

Discord: Dream#8875

Postby Lippeth » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:43 am

I just played through a bit of Lunatic.wad with this mod and I'm thoroughly impressed with the animation and responsiveness of each weapon! A part of me wants to think that these graphics don't go well with the Doom aesthetic but it's all so well done and the sounds are so nostalgic that it doesn't hurt the experience at all.
Spoiler: (subjective) Feedback:

Overall this mod is absolutely spectacular. Very creative and most importantly, fun to play. It's definitely going in my favorites folder, and I look forward to future updates. Great job!
Lippeth
Metalvangelist

Discord: Lippeth#2552

Postby Combine_Kegan » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:18 am

Lippeth wrote:I just played through a bit of Lunatic.wad with this mod and I'm thoroughly impressed with the animation and responsiveness of each weapon! A part of me wants to think that these graphics don't go well with the Doom aesthetic but it's all so well done and the sounds are so nostalgic that it doesn't hurt the experience at all.
Spoiler: (subjective) Feedback:

Overall this mod is absolutely spectacular. Very creative and most importantly, fun to play. It's definitely going in my favorites folder, and I look forward to future updates. Great job!

Glad to hear you've been enjoying it. Not sure if I'll remove the +NOAUTOFIRE thing though. As for the golden hammer thing, making it consume energy per hit would leave it in an even worse spot as you'd burn through cells too quickly most of the time. The idea is you commit to it, the tradeoffs being short range and stuck spinning that thing constantly. I also kept the ammo consumption the same for both the primary and altfire for the sake of consistency. Honestly this mod won't be receiving any major updates, this was a bit of a one-off thing, as I need to stay focused on my two main projects.

Though I might nerf the holy water a little from the sounds of things, seems too strong.
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy

Postby Clippy » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:51 pm

What button do you press to get the big blue hammer
Clippy

Postby Combine_Kegan » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:20 pm

Clippy wrote:What button do you press to get the big blue hammer

You'll need to find it on a BFG spawn
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy

Postby Asenji » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:53 am

Great weapon set all-in-all. The inspirations lead to some really fun and satisfying weaponry. I think I'm a big fan of the Bionic Commando rifle, even if the blaster has the upside of being hitscan, there's just something about the rifle that makes it deceptively fun to shoot even at stronger enemies. Another pro is the mobility of the bioclaw and the jetpack which made for some fun/funny combat scenarios and shenanigans. Seriously, the rifle is super stellar. Another aspect I enjoyed was the decision to craft the SSG's functionality onto the normal SG while also making it semi-auto, thus making it a bit of an ammo-sink weapon. It lends itself really well in the megawads I played since they often had much abundance of shells that allowed me to burn through in much shorter time span. The last change I like is giving weapons the ability to fire (albeit weaker) projectiles once ammo is depleted. It definitely helps a lot early game before you start growing an ammo pool (plus the burst Spread Gun is quite nice). You have a real knack for making great mods. Great work, Kegan!
Asenji

Postby StroggVorbis » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:58 pm

The solar jetpack + pistol is still subject to Doom's 1d3 randomization, making each shot deal between 6 and 45 damage. Is this intentional or is it supposed to only deal between 6 and 15 versus the bionic rifle's 18? Noticed this cuz I have Xaser's DamNums in my autoload :P
Wondering cuz it would make the bionic rifle pretty much obsolete. It's hitscan, has higher DPS, and the jetpack + lower gravity is more versatile than the bionic claw.

P.S. I also can't unsee that it's the Quake 2 blaster in disguise :D
StroggVorbis
Donut eat me pls!

Discord: StroggVorbis#2466
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Combine_Kegan » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:35 pm

StroggVorbis wrote:The solar jetpack + pistol is still subject to Doom's 1d3 randomization, making each shot deal between 6 and 45 damage. Is this intentional or is it supposed to only deal between 6 and 15 versus the bionic rifle's 18? Noticed this cuz I have Xaser's DamNums in my autoload :P
Wondering cuz it would make the bionic rifle pretty much obsolete. It's hitscan, has higher DPS, and the jetpack + lower gravity is more versatile than the bionic claw.

P.S. I also can't unsee that it's the Quake 2 blaster in disguise :D

Whoops. Yeah that's my bad for neglecting to remove the 1d3 dicerolls. I should probably fix that. I'll wait to see if there's any other fixes and tweaks that can be done before applying this update though.
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods