[Release 1.6b] Lost Frontier - a Strife mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [Release 1.2a] Lost Frontier - a Strife mod

Postby Jarewill » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:15 am

ZikShadow wrote:I noticed that enemies are able to shoot through each other, I wonder if that could be changed? Could be a bit unfair if say, I start a custom map with the mod and have to knife multiple enemies, and can't do that 'cause the acolytes can just phaseshift their bullets through to hit me instead.

I'm trying out Return of the Order with the mod and struggling to get past those 3 guys at the start, hence the question.

Doing this was a terrible solution to a problem I could have easily fixed. :?
It should work now, with them being able to shoot other acolytes to death.
However, they won't fire directly at them, so hiding behind an acolyte will result in a sort of a bullet shield.

Edit: Didn't see this post.
undeadmonk354 wrote:Are there any new enemies in Lost Frontier?

No new enemies, unless you count shieldless acolyte variants.
Jarewill

Re: [Release 1.2b] Lost Frontier - a Strife mod

Postby Captain J » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:06 pm

So i played the mod around a bit and here's my question:

- First of all, i see a simple, nearly-empty HUD. I can see ammo, inventory and health meter that goes the job poorly. I can't figure out what precise number of my health left and whatnot. Just showing the color is bit simple to me.

- Can you please add some kind of power attack for the dagger so i can beat those Acolytes without having so much trouble in Veteran Difficulty? Yes, i was the one who wanted them to be powerful but not beginniners-trap-ly powerful.

- What's up with the shop interface? I know it's a lot more compact now, but it lacks hint of using it properly. For instance, i couldn't leave the interface for a minute until i found out that i have to press middle mouse button. Also each shopkeep had their own dialogues, no? It's like a two-edged sword.

Speaking of which, Irale of Front weapon shopkeep remain unchanged.

- I can switch the weapon mode of my Assault Gun with Weapon State 1 keybind, but not the Mauler. Does it require some kind of upgrade?
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: [Release 1.2b] Lost Frontier - a Strife mod

Postby Jarewill » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:57 am

Spoiler:

Thank you!
Jarewill

Re: [Release 1.3] Lost Frontier - a Strife mod

Postby ZikShadow » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:15 am

It is possible to get past the starting area, even on Elite. I was able to dodge over to the columns on the right, sprint to the door, backstab the guard there, acquire the crossbow, then returning to kill the pursuers. Though now since Jarewill removed the shoot through thing, you might be able to get past the starting area by blocking the other guy's shot with the one you're knifing.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... -17-80.mp4
ZikShadow

Postby Wivicer » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:13 pm

What sound mod are you using there? I like the HL2 voices for the acolytes.
Wivicer

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Captain J » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:08 am

It seems Zik's is using my Strived-Strife SFX Replacer addon plus some extra sound addon. I can hear TF2 engineer's nope sound for DSNOWAY. :D
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Sh4d0wS14d3 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:46 am

I think I had this issue before with the Scanning Crew (which I always activate because I like seeing 100% enemies cleared on the hub level) and, well.

I remembered this issue a while back from when Guncaster poked at the scanning crew (it really doesn't like people replacing them at all), but yeah. I even no-clipped just to double-check, but nope. Killed all of them, and the mission won't progress.
Sh4d0wS14d3
Ouch.

Postby Jarewill » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:24 pm

Sh4d0wS14d3 wrote:I think I had this issue before with the Scanning Crew (which I always activate because I like seeing 100% enemies cleared on the hub level) and, well.

That's something I clearly forgot to test. :?
Though, I thought simply giving the player QuestItem7 (which is given for killing them all normally) would work, but it doesn't fix it completely.
The gate at the mansion will open when crossing the bridge with QuestItem7 in inventory, but Blackbird will not say anything nor the mission will update.
But the Governor can be spoked to to progress the game.
It seems Strife only checks for vanilla blue acolytes to trigger the Blackbird's dialogue, not sure what I can do about that.

For now though, I pushed a fix for the softlock. Killing all blue acolytes should now give the proper QuestItem to open the gate.
Jarewill

Re: [Release 1.3a] Lost Frontier - a Strife mod

Postby ZikShadow » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:41 pm

Could probably do something hackyish and give you a custom item that gives the player the questitem along with a playsound for Blackbird's dialogue, though I wonder if a cleaner solution is possible.
ZikShadow

Postby Sh4d0wS14d3 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:54 pm

Thanks for getting the hotfix up so quickly - now I can go rife through the scanning crew's pockets and continue with the game.

I know you worked on a new UI for buying goods, but is there an interface for selling them upcoming? Clearing out the entire city guard on just the hub level gave me far too many assault rifles, leather armors, and over 5000+ rounds of ammo for the assault rifle, and after a point, I gave up entirely on dealing with encumbrance.

(Admittedly, I didn't try very hard. I'm too much a looter at heart.)
Sh4d0wS14d3
Ouch.

Postby Jarewill » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:21 pm

ZikShadow wrote:Could probably do something hackyish and give you a custom item that gives the player the questitem along with a playsound for Blackbird's dialogue, though I wonder if a cleaner solution is possible.

I'll see if I can find a way to play Blackbird's dialogue and update the mission log.
The way I fixed it right now is with an ACS script that checks if all blue acolytes are dead and gives the player QuestItem7 when they are.
Which now I realised that I edited the ACS again, breaking all previous saves. :?

Sh4d0wS14d3 wrote:I know you worked on a new UI for buying goods, but is there an interface for selling them upcoming? Clearing out the entire city guard on just the hub level gave me far too many assault rifles, leather armors, and over 5000+ rounds of ammo for the assault rifle, and after a point, I gave up entirely on dealing with encumbrance.

Sure, I can do that.
However, since the shop's UI is made in ACS, changing it will cause all previous saves to break, because saves and ACS-changing don't go together well.
While I'm at it, I might as well make the shop support mouse movement. It's on the list for 1.4 now.

Edit: I ended up finishing it up sooner than I originally thought.
I also found a handy function called SendToCommunicator which let me trigger Blackbird's dialogue.
Jarewill

Re: [Release 1.1a] Lost Frontier - a Strife mod

Postby Lagi » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:11 am

ZikShadow wrote:Didn't took me that long, thankfully. Like I said, AG ammo are a plenty, so it was a matter of keeping my gun unjammed during the whole attack.

Spoiler:

Oh, yeah. Noticed another thing regarding traders. The armory trader in the Order Commons that would normally give you access to the black market trader that sells the stealth suits, same thing as Quincy where the convo would've let to something but now is replaced by the usual menu.

Its quite enjoyable to watch you playing.
Could you record your normal playthrough from start till you get bored? its ok if mp4 have 1gb+, or whatever (unless someone plan to download using phone net, but its their problem).
or maybe you have YT channel?
Lagi

Re: [Release 1.4] Lost Frontier - a Strife mod

Postby ZikShadow » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:44 am

I do have a place to upload long videos to, even ran a custom map (Island of Peril) with LF a while back.

Not sure if I'm interested in doing a complete replay of Strife yet again, since I just did exactly that with LF. I did however record a significant amount of small clips in that very run.

Spoiler:
ZikShadow

Postby Lagi » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:12 pm

thanks man, great stuff
Lagi

Postby Jarewill » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:42 pm

Great stuff indeed!
It was very fun to watch all those clips and see someone better at me play this mod. :D

As for the weaponsmith in Island of Peril not working: it turns out he was placed further away from the counter than the other merchants.
I don't know why it works normally in vanilla strife, but I did a check for his current position and if it's true, he is moved slightly to the east, allowing interaction.
Jarewill

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods