[WIP] Blaster Master DooM

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [WIP] Blaster Master DooM V3A

Postby popguy12 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:56 pm

bimshwel wrote:blaster master is an interesting, doom-compatible theme but only seems barely employed here. I don't know what nash-gore is and isn't, and perhaps consequently can't tell how much of this is original material and how much is from older wads or whatever we call them in pk3 format, but the blood flying all over the place, as impressive as it is for the doom engine, does seem incongruous with the pixelated, minimally animated nes sprites, especially since they look like robots. And then the guns look like real-ish guns with lots of frames and varied explosions. I think the monsters need to made to be look more like they belong in the environments or the environments and player arsenal need to be made to look more like they match those monsters. area 3 especially or even metroid would be good to plunder graphics from that can go over the existing doom textures. I have put metroid environment graphics on doom walls before out and they take to it pretty well.

Personally, i want to stay away from replacing textures, that way users can use their own or just go with Vanilla. I have thought about the weapons looking very different in style, but I didn't want to mimic the style of the original games gameplay entirely, I wanted to make my own spin on it. The robotic look of the enemies is based on the idea that they are not exactly made of organic materials, they exist by consuming inorganic matter, at least as far as the lore goes. I have had the idea of making a short campaign or something to go along with the mod, but that will take a while, and I don't have too much experience with mapping. Also, the SOPHIA III is almost done, so I hope to have that along with the Lost Soul replacement out in the next update.
Nashgore is a gore system that Nash made, like I said in a previous post, I do want to make my own sprites to replace the ones in Nashgore, but that will take time.
Last edited by popguy12 on Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
popguy12

Re: [WIP] Blaster Master DooM

Postby bimshwel » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:59 pm

there are hundreds, thousands? of monster/gun replacements that work with the original levels and texture sets. if you have a pre-existing theme this specific I think people who download it will be looking for a more full treatment, especially if you went to the trouble to put that introduction on it. Unless there is an existing "8 bit" or ega-styled graphic set to make the textures look more colorful and saturated (and there might be, I certainly made a "nessound.wad" ages ago) i think these sort of monsters will always look out of place, unless they are redrawn or touched up to seem more doom-like.
although if you do somehow implement the vehicle in a convincing manner that would make a big difference, yes.
I get that nash gore has something to do with gore, I meant more that I can't tell how much of this is your own work, but you say you are working on that. I would have the same question about the fancy gun effects, with the sparks and recoil and all that.
if the beast are only semi-organic i suppose they could have sustaining fluids of some sort, in which event I would merely suggest not using the exact same tones of grey as on the sprites. just a bit of hue could make it look less flat and stand out more from the monsters that haven't exploded yet.
or I may simply be hopelessly pedantic.
bimshwel
only as old as I feel, and I feel like dirt

Discord: bimshwel #7516

Postby popguy12 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:41 pm

bimshwel wrote:there are hundreds, thousands? of monster/gun replacements that work with the original levels and texture sets. if you have a pre-existing theme this specific I think people who download it will be looking for a more full treatment, especially if you went to the trouble to put that introduction on it. Unless there is an existing "8 bit" or ega-styled graphic set to make the textures look more colorful and saturated (and there might be, I certainly made a "nessound.wad" ages ago) i think these sort of monsters will always look out of place, unless they are redrawn or touched up to seem more doom-like.
although if you do somehow implement the vehicle in a convincing manner that would make a big difference, yes.
I get that nash gore has something to do with gore, I meant more that I can't tell how much of this is your own work, but you say you are working on that. I would have the same question about the fancy gun effects, with the sparks and recoil and all that.
if the beast are only semi-organic i suppose they could have sustaining fluids of some sort, in which event I would merely suggest not using the exact same tones of grey as on the sprites. just a bit of hue could make it look less flat and stand out more from the monsters that haven't exploded yet.
or I may simply be hopelessly pedantic.

Ill keep it in mind, maybe something will come to me. I do think that that idea of making the gore colors slightly different than the enemy colors is a good idea, and I will definitely look into a change of some kind. Nothing in the included Nashgore file is mine, its all Nash's, just to clarify that. The TITLEMAP, like I said in a previous post, was more of a coding practice at the time I made it, which was very early in development, It will get redone at some point. The SOPHIA III itself is a bit tricky though. Currently I have made it as a robotic follower of sorts, but if I can figure out how to make it controllable, I do want to do that. I haven't added any extra effects to the weapons though, such as sparks as you were saying, but that is something I want to try out at some point.
popguy12

Postby popguy12 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:39 pm

Update released, V3A, new enemy, SOPHIA, and various tweaks

Check original post for updated link, as well as a link to the version archive, where older versions will be uploaded.
Original post has also been updated with screenshots and a few videos.

V3A
- Refined some gun related mechanics
- Lost Soul replacement added, fires a projectile, might update later with another version that works similar to the normal Lost Soul
- Slimes are now more organic, they now hop around.
- Cleaned up some enemy code after a change was made to smooth enemy movement.
- Player speed was increased slightly for both classes, might change again later with a dodge system or something.
- Stimpacks are now inventory items, and a healing animation has been added.
- The SOPHIA has been added, its an inventory item that replaces blur spheres. It can fire projectiles at enemies and jump away when it gets close to one, when doing so, it has a chance to fire 3 rockets.
- Changed some enemy blood colors, might change slightly in the future.
popguy12

Postby Goldenflare5643 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:48 pm

I kid you not, about four years ago I had an idea for this exact mod. I wish I knew how to do it back in 2016, then I could have stole your thunder.
Goldenflare5643
Friendly Neighborhood Demoman

Discord: Goldenflare#9766

Postby popguy12 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:40 pm

Goldenflare5643 wrote:I kid you not, about four years ago I had an idea for this exact mod. I wish I knew how to do it back in 2016, then I could have stole your thunder.

go ahead and make it then, just because i have this here doesnt mean you cant or shouldnt make something like it, either that or maybe you have some ideas that i may find useful, or a better way of implementing a mechanic
popguy12

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods