DE-GRINDER! Remove tedium from your DOOMing experience

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

DE-GRINDER! Remove tedium from your DOOMing experience

Postby Doomkid » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:52 am

Have you ever been playing through a map, and thought that despite being fun, it was a bit of a grind?

Well, fret no longer - Introducing DE-GRINDER!

DE-GRINDER is a simple little mod, compatible with vanilla Doom & all source ports. It cuts every single enemy's health directly in half, other than the Icon of Sin/Romero head, meaning WADs where you have to go through wave after wave of meaty baddies will take substantially less time. Cut down on the slog without cutting down on the fun!

This also provides a great set of training wheels for players who may struggle with difficulty in certain Doom maps. If you are new to the game, or maybe just new to slaughtermaps, this will help get you up to speed and allow you to enjoy WADs that would normally a bit too much to bite off.

I have included a secondary version, simply called DGRIND2, that also reduces the ammo pickups (other than rockets since that's impossible in vanilla) to help maintain consistency. This is only for the players who are concerned about levels becoming too easy with the weaker baddies.

Note: the .DEH file is ONLY needed for Vanilla or Chocolate Doom. Advanced source ports such as ZDoom-family ports only need the .WAD file.

Download DE-GRINDER here: https://doomshack.org/uploads/DGRINDER.ZIP

Enjoy! 8-)

EDIT: For some reason, I'm not able to insert images.. Does anyone know why? When I attempt to, it says "You cannot use certain BBCodes: [img]". I notice there's an [imgur] function as well but I can't seem to get it to work..
Last edited by Doomkid on Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doomkid
drinks milk right from the carton, keeps library books till they're way overdue

Re: DE-GRINDER! Remove tedium from your DOOMing experience

Postby Blue Shadow » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:31 am

Doomkid wrote:EDIT: For some reason, I'm not able to insert images.. Does anyone know why? When I attempt to, it says "You cannot use certain BBCodes: [img]". I notice there's an [imgur] function as well but I can't seem to get it to work..

See here: viewtopic.php?t=56065
Blue Shadow

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Doomkid » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:47 am

Thank you, very helpful!
Doomkid

Postby Captain J » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:46 am

That might make the game a bit easy, or too much easy. Quite a good stuff for re-balancing. And speaking of grinding the health pool, can i get my health grinded as well?
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Doomkid » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:45 am

That's a good idea! Will make an update that includes a 3rd variant with halved health capacity.
Doomkid

Postby Donowa » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:02 pm

I personally would like to 1/3 health on chaingunners, revenants, and archviles.
You know why :shucks:
Donowa

Return to Gameplay Mods