[0.7] Punkwild! (Punk never dies!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Alamo985
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP 0.1] Punkwild!(Demon slaying punk girl)

Post by Alamo985 »

Gameplay video is up!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

The Uzis shoot every tic, so while they should technically recoil visually, it seems they're just too fast for the game to move them properly. Maybe I'll add an extra tic just for visuals.
In the game, the recoil animation has only one frame and it's more likely just warping. But thanks for listening to this one!
Now that's a bug that I haven't been able to replicate. Maybe it has to do something with the GZDoom version? I'm running versions 4.3.3 and 4.4.2.
I use the latest version, GZDoom 4.4.2. And this glitch happens if you switch your akimbo weapons.
Isn't that normal behavior? I'll add the precise flag to see how it feels in the next version.
Yeah, but the fireball maintains its altitude afterwards. But not this one, weirdly.
A.Gamma

Post by A.Gamma »

Wivicer wrote:It's nice to see Gaige getting some love, even if it's not exactly her. She was my favorite Borderlands 2 character.

Fun stuff :smile:
Gaige is also my favorite BL2 character. And in fact, this whole mod exists because I managed to get my hands on her voice lines (But don't tell anyone!).
Alamo985 wrote:Gameplay video is up!
Fun stuff! I'm really happy that people are enjoying this enough to make videos of it.
Captain J wrote: In the game, the recoil animation has only one frame and it's more likely just warping. But thanks for listening to this one!
I'll add an extra frame for the next version, see how that feels.
Captain J wrote:I use the latest version, GZDoom 4.4.2. And this glitch happens if you switch your akimbo weapons.
I finally managed to replicate that bug and already have an idea to fix it! Thanks for your report!
Captain J wrote:Yeah, but the fireball maintains its altitude afterward. But not this one, weirdly.
Yeah, I think that's how the Revenant tracer is supposed to work. Still, I might add the precise flag and see if it's not too OP.
Irrevenant

Post by Irrevenant »

I tried a bit of this last night and today. Love the concept, there should be more demon-killing punk girls, but there are some things that are a little uncomfortable gameplay-wise. Like the dash. Double tapping a direction doesn't feel natural to me, personally. Would you consider moving it back to shift? Or a CVAR, if that's doable. As it is, I kinda just don't use it and the enemies are a lot tougher so I die quite a bit. Like the second level of Doom II is brutal, all the shotgun zombies just tear me apart.

Then there's the revolvers. The firing and reload sounds and animations are dope, but that they fire independently with both mouse buttons is a little weird feeling, especially with the fire rate. It's hard to get an alternating rhythm going, though I know I can just hold the buttons. And then if you reload while one is still in its animation, it doesn't get reloaded so you have to double tap it. I think they'd feel better if both alternated fire from one button, but admittedly this isn't really a big deal and probably just something I'll have to get used to. Having said that, they're by far the most satisfying weapons and I tend to use them over the shotgun.

There are also some other sounds that get interrupted.

-SMG firing sound when reloading.
-Assault Rifle firing sound when zooming in and out.

Miscellaneous other things:
-Napalm Launcher primary could be a bit louder.

-Anarchy coins disappear really quickly. Could you increase the time by five seconds, maybe?

-I don't know if this is a pain to fix, and I'm probably one of like, three people who still uses a 4:3 monitor, but the HUD gets cut off.

-The Gaige voice is awesome. I never played Borderlands 2, but I always liked her character and she probably would have been my main, besides Krieg.

-This still works on GZDoom versions as old as 3.4.1, and probably older. Right now, anyway.

-The black nail polish is a nice touch, but some gloves or tattoos would be super. Though, I don't know what Jazz looks like, so maybe she doesn't have 'em. What does she look like?
A.Gamma

Post by A.Gamma »

Irrevenant wrote:I tried a bit of this last night and today. Love the concept, there should be more demon-killing punk girls, but there are some things that are a little uncomfortable gameplay-wise. Like the dash. Double tapping a direction doesn't feel natural to me, personally. Would you consider moving it back to shift? Or a CVAR, if that's doable. As it is, I kinda just don't use it and the enemies are a lot tougher so I die quite a bit. Like the second level of Doom II is brutal, all the shotgun zombies just tear me apart.

Then there's the revolvers. The firing and reload sounds and animations are dope, but that they fire independently with both mouse buttons is a little weird feeling, especially with the fire rate. It's hard to get an alternating rhythm going, though I know I can just hold the buttons. And then if you reload while one is still in its animation, it doesn't get reloaded so you have to double tap it. I think they'd feel better if both alternated fire from one button, but admittedly this isn't really a big deal and probably just something I'll have to get used to. Having said that, they're by far the most satisfying weapons and I tend to use them over the shotgun.

There are also some other sounds that get interrupted.

-SMG firing sound when reloading.
-Assault Rifle firing sound when zooming in and out.
Hey! Thanks a lot for your feedback! To address some of your concerns:

I decided on the double tap since I dislike having to take my hands off the movement keys to dodge. I'll see if I can hack a CVAR for shift dodging, but no promises there, since the code is from KeksDose and I'm not that familiar with it. As for the revolvers, you can try clicking the second fire button about half a second after the first one and keep them pressed, that should alternate the firing quite nicely. The sound cutoff bug has been fixed and will be included in the next version.
Irrevenant wrote:Miscellaneous other things:
-Napalm Launcher primary could be a bit louder.
Eeeh, I don't really like overly loud weapons so I don't think I'll change that one, sorry.
Irrevenant wrote:-Anarchy coins disappear really quickly. Could you increase the time by five seconds, maybe?
Maybe I'll add a couple seconds to it, my concern is that the player will stack anarchy too fast like that
Irrevenant wrote:-I don't know if this is a pain to fix, and I'm probably one of like, three people who still uses a 4:3 monitor, but the HUD gets cut off.
Yeah, that might be a bit too much work tbh. Still, while a pain, it's technically a simple fix so I might just do it in the future. No promises though!
Irrevenant wrote:-The Gaige voice is awesome. I never played Borderlands 2, but I always liked her character and she probably would have been my main, besides Krieg.
Oh yeah! Gaige is just awesome and her (somewhat unrelated) anarchy build is by far the most fun!
Irrevenant wrote:-This still works on GZDoom versions as old as 3.4.1, and probably older. Right now, anyway.
Hey that's good to know! I'm going to add some ZScript in the next version, so that might soon change, but I'll appreciate if you told me if it breaks.
Irrevenant wrote:-The black nail polish is a nice touch, but some gloves or tattoos would be super. Though, I don't know what Jazz looks like, so maybe she doesn't have 'em. What does she look like?
I was secretly hoping someone would comment on the black nail polish :P . As for gloves or tattoos; I wanted to keep Jazz gloveless to distinguish her hands a bit more, and I don't have the artistic skill required to make some consistent tattoos on her hands. For how she looks like, think of a younger mix between Tying Tiffany and Brody Dalle (I might eventually make some art of her, but again, I'm no artist).
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

So the protagonist's name is Jazz... I wonder what her full name is! Jazz Jacklyn? :D And if drawing tattoos are hard for you, wrist bands are gonna be fine!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Had to boot the game to see what resources were being used. The SMG/Uzi sprite is not mine, please credit Necronxxis. As for the bat, yes, it's a edit i made.

I like what i see so far, but i need to play it more this weekend, and try to gather more feedback. Good luck on your project! =)
A.Gamma

Re: [WIP 0.2] Punkwild!(Demon slaying punk girl)

Post by A.Gamma »

Hey everyone! Version 0.2 is here! And it brings with it many fixes and some changes:
  • Fixed all audio cut-off issues.
  • Tuned down the revenant replacement damage.
  • Fixed some typos.
  • Added a timer for every item so that you can keep track of them.
  • Added CVAR to toggle Jazz's lines on or off.
  • Added CVAR to control how often Jazz speaks.
  • Added CVAR to control how much anarchy a single coin gives you. High chances of breaking any semblance of balance.
  • Added CVAR to switch Punkwild's bestiary on or off. Note, however, that there will not be official support for bugs or balance issues with monsters other than the Punkwild bestiary.
Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Had to boot the game to see what resources were being used. The SMG/Uzi sprite is not mine, please credit Necronxxis. As for the bat, yes, it's an edit I made.

I like what I see so far, but I need to play it more this weekend, and try to gather more feedback. Good luck with your project! =)
Credits updated! And I'm looking forward to your thoughts!

Without any further ado, DOWNLOAD IT!
AGPunk_0.2.zip
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

I ABSOLUTELY love this update!! That "Zone Wiped" message after completely beating a map is so satisfying. It shows rather slowly, but that'll do.

Also i just found this out: If you switch your akimbo revolver into a single UZI, this happens.
A.Gamma

Post by A.Gamma »

Captain J wrote:I ABSOLUTELY love this update!! That "Zone Wiped" message after completely beating a map is so satisfying. It shows rather slowly, but that'll do.

Also, I just found this out: If you switch your akimbo revolver into a single UZI, this happens.
Thanks, Captain! As for the bug that shows up, I was sure I removed that, but since it seems I did not, have a bugfix version:

AGPunk_0.2a
  • Fixed the visual bugs when changing dual-wielded weapons.
  • Fix shotgun eating up 4 shells.
Irrevenant

Post by Irrevenant »

A.Gamma wrote:
I decided on the double tap since I dislike having to take my hands off the movement keys to dodge. I'll see if I can hack a CVAR for shift dodging, but no promises there, since the code is from KeksDose and I'm not that familiar with it. As for the revolvers, you can try clicking the second fire button about half a second after the first one and keep them pressed, that should alternate the firing quite nicely. The sound cutoff bug has been fixed and will be included in the next version.
Ahh, I get it, and I appreciate the attempt. You could potentially put it on shift in addition to the double tap. As it is, shift doesn't do anything. Holding it doesn't change your speed like normal, but it does change viewbob frequency as if it had.

And I have gotten a bit more used to the revolvers. I'd say the only weapon I'm not sure about is the Riotgun. The alt-fire is great, but the primary doesn't quite have the OOMPH that you expect from a shotgun-type weapon. Like it's obviously strong, but the feeling isn't there. It's also the only gun where Jazz's hands aren't visible.
Eeeh, I don't really like overly loud weapons so I don't think I'll change that one, sorry.
Yeah, now that I listen again, it seems to be fine. Before, it seemed the altfire was louder.
Yeah, that might be a bit too much work tbh. Still, while a pain, it's technically a simple fix so I might just do it in the future. No promises though!
I understand completely, thank you for considering it.
Hey that's good to know! I'm going to add some ZScript in the next version, so that might soon change, but I'll appreciate if you told me if it breaks.
For sure. 3.4.1 is my go-to if a mod doesn't specify a version. It does still work.
A.Gamma

Post by A.Gamma »

Irrevenant wrote: And I have gotten a bit more used to the revolvers. I'd say the only weapon I'm not sure about is the Riotgun. The alt-fire is great, but the primary doesn't quite have the OOMPH that you expect from a shotgun-type weapon. Like it's obviously strong, but the feeling isn't there. It's also the only gun where Jazz's hands aren't visible.
I get what you say about the riot gun, I'm not too fond of it either, but I added it while I worked on something a bit better (I got to two options that I'll upload an attachment as a preview)
Irrevenant wrote:For sure. 3.4.1 is my go-to if a mod doesn't specify a version. It does still work.
Nice! If I can go an extra version without it breaking, I'll probably use it as a marketing ploy :P
Attachments
Credit goes to Chronotheeth
Credit goes to Chronotheeth
AlternativeNewRiotGun.png (12.4 KiB) Viewed 902 times
Credit goes to CaptainJ for the original model rip.
Credit goes to CaptainJ for the original model rip.
NewRiotShotgun.png (16.13 KiB) Viewed 906 times
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

More weapons, or perhaps the replacement of existing weapons? Gonna be so awesome either way!(oh also thanks so much for using my weapon sprite there heh)
Irrevenant

Post by Irrevenant »

Those're pretty neat. Does the bottom one have two barrels and a drum mag? That's weird and I like it.
A.Gamma

Re: [WIP 0.3] Punkwild!(Bug squashing and new shotgun!)

Post by A.Gamma »

Update time! I decided to spend the whole weekend getting a new shotgun sprite done and then decided to slightly rework the shotgun to better fit its new sprite. And then while testing I found some issued that needed fixing (Most notably boss monsters not activating their specials when dying!).

So, here it is. Punkwild 0.3! AGPunk_0.3
Spoiler: Changelog

Return to “Gameplay Mods”