Tempered Arms for Hexen [v1.3.5]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Tempered Arms for Hexen [Update v1.2]

Postby Lippeth » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:48 am

Well at any rate, I remade the axe animations from the ground up, and made a short video to demonstrate:

If it's still not right, I can keep working on it, otherwise I'll most likely post the newest version sometime before the end of this week.

And as far as an inventory menu is concerned, I just discovered m8f's Gearbox mod which is somewhat similar to what I had in mind.
Lippeth
Metalvangelist

Discord: Lippeth#2552

Re: Tempered Arms for Hexen [v1.2.4]

Postby Neccronixis » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:54 pm

Thank you for continuing to update this awesome mod.

For me the frost shards are the least enjoyable weapon to use in the mod because they are very weak and cumbersome to use compared to other projectile weapons. I have a suggestion to make it more mechanically interesting, but overall the damage still needs to be increased:

1. Primary attack quickly fires smaller individual shards double the rate of the serpent staff. This attack kills enemies without freezing them.

2. Secondary attack is a charged attack that fires a slower moving, high damage volley with a tighter, randomized spread. This attack freezes enemies for a certain period of time, but is non lethal; the mage has to touch an enemy at the cost of zero mana or kill them with shards from the primary attack.
Neccronixis

Re: Tempered Arms for Hexen [v1.2.4]

Postby Lippeth » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:25 pm

Glad you're still enjoying it Neccronixis, and you're knocking it outta the park with these ideas, thank you so much!

I will say that I consider the frost shards primarily as a melee weapon, as it does adequate damage at point-blank range. But I can buff the individual shards to compare more closely to the serpent staff's damage, and even increase the damage of the main spread at the beginning. I don't want to remove the main spread because it's part of what makes close range attacks so effective.

I really like this idea of temporarily freezing enemies; I'm reading about how to do it in zscript now, but I feel that I'd almost need to make enemies change to their frozen sprite and that could make it confusing to players if they suddenly start moving again. Plus I'm not sure if I want to start editing monsters for this mod if I'm unsuccessful in doing it cleanly with zscript. I'm not purely against it, I just like the idea of combining weapon mods with monster packs without losing compatibility, even though I don't really use custom monster mods or randomizers. Either way, I'll keep reading about it and experiment.

Thanks for the feedback, you should see at least part of your ideas implemented in the next update, you've given me a fun challenge!
Lippeth
Metalvangelist

Re: Tempered Arms for Hexen [v1.3.0]

Postby Lippeth » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:10 am

Every drop of DECORATE has now been replaced with ZScript. I have no idea why I did this or even if I could, but it started working out and I just kept going with it. Luckily GZDoom is great at telling me what's deprecated and where the errors are so overall it went very smoothly, considering my inexperience. Nothing has really changed other than a few other updates, like increased Frost Shard damage and weapon icons for all weapons.

I started out by trying to figure out a way to make weapon piece hud icons work with NightFright and 3saster's Fullscreen Statusbar Mod (which I still can't get to work without editing their mod) and somehow I ended up going on a different journey altogether. If any ZScript expert has the patience or interest in looking through it to see how it can still be improved, I would be grateful!

The only thing that I can't seem to get working now is an alternative to A_DamageSelf when using the Bloodscourge to recharge mana. So as it is now, you can still gain mana when you run out, but no damage is inflicted.

EDIT: I fixed the issue with mana regen. It was at the very beginning of the ZScript conversion before I realized that jump states don't work the same way inside anonymous functions. The next update will cause damage to the player.
Lippeth
Metalvangelist

Re: Tempered Arms for Hexen [v1.3.5]

Postby Lippeth » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:30 am

Another update! Frost shards can freeze plants that are destroyed by fire, among other various tweaks, fixes and balances which are in the changelog.

I made frozen sprites for the plants as well if you want to use them in your own projects.

Tempered Arms v1.3.5
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lippeth
Metalvangelist

Postby Lippeth » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:41 am

Working on implementing some of the ideas Neccronixis mentioned. Frost shards freeze enemies and then shatter them if still firing at them. I want to do a few more things before updating, but here's a video demonstration.

Lippeth
Metalvangelist

Postby StraightWhiteMan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:33 pm

That honestly looks really cool, nicely done. Another thing that would look pretty cool and be fun would be if one hand would freeze enemies like they do in the video, and the other hand could do a force push and shatter the ice that way. Just throwing out another idea. Keep up the good work though, this mod is a lot of fun and it looks like it's only going to get better.
StraightWhiteMan

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Lippeth » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:07 am

The other hand still breaks ice, and will freeze monsters and break them at the same time, as well as reflect projectiles if timed right. Thanks for the feedback, another update is around the corner!

I've added a red glow to the hammer, I always felt that it should have it with mana. It also works similarly to the axe, by hitting harder and doing fire damage at close range, but only takes one point of mana because the flying hammer is too useful to squander with melee attacks.

Here's a sprite sheet if anyone wants to use them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lippeth
Metalvangelist

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods