Medieval Doom

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Lagi

Medieval Doom

Post by Lagi »

Spoiler: forum icon
Medieval DOOM
playable

No alt fires, no reloads. No inventory. No movement changes. Just your left mouse button.
Low fantasy, with range weapons of same quantity as in Doom (2x first melee, rest range).
Include option for pistol_start, default on
Spoiler: Map recommendation:

Spoiler: Credits
Last edited by Lagi on Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:38 am, edited 35 times in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: Medieval Doom - ideas needed !

Post by Captain J »

I know that you're still working on with this mod, but how can i block?
Lagi

Re: Medieval Doom - ideas needed !

Post by Lagi »

you cannot block :) - this would be Doom-simple mod. there would be ONLY primary fire.

shield is granting 75% damage reduction (if you just has mace selected) - all balance is to be done

Im doing wand as plasma rifle, and I will upload it in about 1h.

All weapon uploaded, and some monsters
Lagi

Re: Medieval Doom

Post by Lagi »

NEW Version Uploaded!!

Special features: WOODEN BARREL !!!!!

quickly download it (its only 5 megs), play doom1, first map on Hard, and destroy the Barrel! :biggrin: :lol: :biggrin:
MrRumbleRoses

Re: Medieval Doom

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

one thing that comes to my mind when seeing this. playing it on Romero's Hersey. aka Heretic in Doom II. same like how i would say GMOTA would fit things quite well with that mapset
PRIMEVAL

Re: Medieval Doom 6.06.20

Post by PRIMEVAL »

This looks very interesting. I'm also working on a Medieval mod, though more focused on actual medieval weapons with little to no magic and it'll include a campaign. I'll have to check this out soon!
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

PRIMEVAL wrote:This looks very interesting. I'm also working on a Medieval mod, though more focused on actual medieval weapons with little to no magic and it'll include a campaign. I'll have to check this out soon!
Im curious, Do you have any preview for your medieval mod? I wondering what weapon set you aim for and even more from where do you take monsters? Do you plan any fancy gameplay mechanics?

This mod is rip off from bitter heretic, you can check there for more resources. I want to play some doom maps with medieval vibe, its also why I keep this simple. If you have some serious project I will change this mod name, if it fit better to yours.
Turin Turambar
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Turin Turambar »

Thanks for the mod, I was searching something like this the other day.

But, can you make a second version with only weapons? In case I want to play a WAD with their own custom monsters.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

download slade

find Decorate file
and put double // in front of :
//#include "monster"
//#include "armorettin"

Also start adjusting damage values stats to your liking. (I started Zdoom modding because I want to replace heretic staff with Hexen mace, and it just go).
Turin Turambar
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Turin Turambar »

I'm trying it. Overall it's good, nice job. The throwing axe as shotgun replacement works great, and the basic soldier giving good instead of ammo is an interesting change. Only a few things as feedback:

-you sure the cell ammo replacement is working as it should? I'm finding that it's buggy, because I still find plasma cells on the ground, and the BFG replacement can't be fired. edit: using idfa cheat the tome works fine, but it doesn't if you properly pick it up from the ground. uh.
-you should replace the Hell Knight. Yes, he is appropriate for the fantasy medieval setting, but it's plain weird to play with a mod that replaces literally all the other enemies and still have the familiar knights around! :P
-The trident needs a bit more of omph, I don't mean in the gameplay balance sense, but in the animation/visual fx/sounds.
-The barrel idea is original, but I suspect the lack of chain-exploding them may break the rare map that depends on it.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

Turin Turambar wrote:I'm trying it. Overall it's good, nice job. The throwing axe as shotgun replacement works great, and the basic soldier giving good instead of ammo is an interesting change.
thanks !!
Turin Turambar wrote: Only a few things as feedback:
-you sure the cell ammo replacement is working as it should? I'm finding that it's buggy, because I still find plasma cells on the ground, and the BFG replacement can't be fired. edit: using idfa cheat the tome works fine, but it doesn't if you properly pick it up from the ground. uh.
no probably it dont :) ... i dont reach BFG without cheats :) I will check it now & fix it.
Turin Turambar wrote: -you should replace the Hell Knight. Yes, he is appropriate for the fantasy medieval setting, but it's plain weird to play with a mod that replaces literally all the other enemies and still have the familiar knights around! :P
with whom to replace HellKnight & Baron?
Turin Turambar wrote: -The trident needs a bit more of omph, I don't mean in the gameplay balance sense, but in the animation/visual fx/sounds.
visuals are ok. Maybe sound i will check.
Turin Turambar wrote: -The barrel idea is original, but I suspect the lack of chain-exploding them may break the rare map that depends on it.
Is purity worth the remove of this little bit of "originality" this mod has ? :D

in general this mod is very raw & unpolish. Dont expect from it to be bug free, or balanced. If you have any idea please share.

edit:
green is done and uploaded. i comlete episode1 and fix some bugs, nerf sword & trident. pistolstart is working.

get stuck due to level bug in E3m2 :evil:
remove ghost from disciple, shield is 50% dmg red, Ettin is 150.
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Lagi wrote:
PRIMEVAL wrote:This looks very interesting. I'm also working on a Medieval mod, though more focused on actual medieval weapons with little to no magic and it'll include a campaign. I'll have to check this out soon!
Im curious, Do you have any preview for your medieval mod? I wondering what weapon set you aim for and even more from where do you take monsters? Do you plan any fancy gameplay mechanics?

This mod is rip off from bitter heretic, you can check there for more resources. I want to play some doom maps with medieval vibe, its also why I keep this simple. If you have some serious project I will change this mod name, if it fit better to yours.
Don't worry about the name! I don't have any screens yet, it's very slow in progress. Your base weapon will be a sword and shield (with blocking), you'll have a bow n arrow, a morningstar, an axe, maybe crossbow, and I'm still figuring out other Medieval era weapons that would be doable. Maybe a hell weapon or two. The weapons will have different damage types (piercing, slashing, bludgeon, etc) with enemy weaknesses / resistances to compliment. Only other major thing about the monsters so far is all cybernetic stuff will be "hellforged" augmentations, and the former humans will merely be Zombie Fodder and Quake type zombies. Still very early in development, if it'll ever even leave it knowing how I mod lol.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

poll [double LL] axe, war hammer (in the same video).
By morning star you mean with chain or not? Maybe crossbow?! what wrong with my crossbow(ok, neoworm crossbow)?

--------------------------------

damage types (piercing, slashing, bludgeon) is a trap. I spend years trying to utilize this system in pnp RPG.
problems:
-damage type exist for different armors. What armor is more resistant to bludgeon than slashing damage? A Gambeson? Would you claim in your mod that gambeson is better protecting from swords than plate armor or chainmail?
in modern or future times you have much more design scope. You can have energy shield good vs lasers, poor vs bullets. And ceramic armors complete opposite. And players will buy it.

- armor are wear in layers. Never ever you wore only chainmail, there is always padded armor below. Same with plate, chainmail is protecting openings.

- what enemies would you introduce? in fantasy (and in medieval especially) there are mostly flesh coated with thin layer of metal - ork dwarf humans elf ... just different flesh thickness. Good vs (piercing, slashing, bludgeon) are skeletons, they are sensible immune to piercing. But thats it. Would you plan to introduce Jelly cubes resistant to bludgeon but vulnerable to slashing?

- the medieval weapons are doing different type of damage. You can stab or slash or even punch with a sword (half swording its valid technique used in medieval to kill and written & painted on papers from that times).

damage types that are good and works well with different armors are elemental damage (fire,ice,poison) and "magic" armors. Like in diablo. You can have dragon armors that give fire protection from flaming swords (and for this aggressor may change his magic sword to Ice spear instead).

good mechanic are divide weapons on the one that penetrate armor and the one that do better on unarmed opponents (peasants, monsters). Then its sensible that warhammer is good vs knight, but sabre is better vs fast, unarmored goblins.

--------------------------------

Monsters !
the doom community does NOT have any generic medieval humanoid fencer. To be equivalent of Trooper of Sergeant from Doom.

monster are what make the game. They are very hard to create. You need 4 frame of movement X 8 directions. PLUS attack (3 frame is minimum) & death animation (5 frame minimum). ZombieMan has 49 sprites becase he use mirror of direction. Ettin from hexen has 93. Look at your keyboard - as many frames as keys.
I try drawing one but this is a big amount work. And I end with frames not matching each other :|

Original creators take pictures of dolls. You could draw 2 frames & utilize Interprite to create in between frame. Or make 3d model. Emuscaria successful create good one in blender for hellforge. Or make a pictures of some knights miniatures ? I dont have any, but i was thinking about this approach :D.

-----
OSJC create nice spritesheet of zombie - possessed he call them. I use them in bitter heretic. I not sure where on sprite carnival forum is it posted.
Quake 1 knight rip would be sweet - if someone know how to do it.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Lagi wrote:By morning star you mean with chain or not?
A morningstar is a mace with spikes on the bludgeoning end. A flail is a mace/morningstar with on or more chains attached between the handle and ball.
Lagi wrote:Quake 1 knight rip would be sweet - if someone know how to do it.
There is Quake 1 Stuff ULTRA by HorrorMovieGuy, but only models are used instead of sprites.

I like where this mod is heading, keep it up!
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

there is newer version of this quake mod.

some nice models. Some are from chasm. But this spearman egyptian?

I remember first time seeing quake1 i was like "this technology gap is greater than moon landing achievment" & "how on eath my pc is capable of running this". Now i think they should stick to 2d sprites :D still I adore the "weaker" knight, his fencing technique is great.

Well I think my doom mod reach its destination. Tweaking numbers here and there. Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

-------------------------------------------

im playing doom 2. Doom 2 is nice because of the new monsters (hellknight instead baron - its good), SSG and berserk. Still new monster a too much hp bloat.
Levels are completely :| , square blocks room almost like wolfenstein, texture mix, no theme for the locations, lots of dick move (map "trick & traps?").
doom 1 maps are good. Episode 1 especially (too bad its like demo version, without all weapons).
Heretic episodes are top notch compare to this one, each feel different - E1 urban, E2 underground, E3 underwater. Still as per tradition; Hexen levels are worse, and hexen2 should be marketed as puzzle game - plus the combat get more tedious more hp monster, with less quantity.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”