DoomGals - A Demon Girl A.I. helper mod (v1.1 update!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Substance20

DoomGals - A Demon Girl A.I. helper mod (v1.1 update!)

Post by Substance20 »

DoomGals - an A.I. helper mod for Doom (also Heretic/Hexen compatible!)

UPDATE (v1.1) - Changes to Iris and Cynthia's powerup abilities, HUD adjustments and bugfixes (see changelog)
MAJOR UPDATE (v1) - The fourth and final DoomGal has been added! Also new abilities, bugfixes galore, balance changes, and some more Hexen/Heretic compatibility

Hi, my name is Substance20. Some of you have probably seen me on Twitter occasionally posting weird anime art of Doom demons anthropomorphized (is that even a word?) into a bunch of girls, the most well-known of which is Caco-chan.

Well, now you can have those same girls fight by your side in the actual game!

DoomGals is a helper mod that allows you to summon up to four demon girls at any time to rip and tear by your side; each girl has her own set of attacks and unique abilities that grant the player powerups, so choose which one you think would be best to help you finish a level...or summon all four for maximum carnage if you're up against a slaughtermap and need all the help you can get!

Short video demo (OUTDATED):

DOWNLOAD (v1.1)

Alternate download link!

WHAT'S NEW (v1.1):
Spoiler:
HOW TO PLAY:

You are given a set of four demon orbs in your inventory at the start of a map. Use the Previous/Next Item keys to choose between the orbs and the Activate Item key to throw out a mobile phone (kids these days eh?), which will consume the chosen orb. After a short while, the phone will ring and summon the Doom Gal corresponding to the color of the orb used.

The girls will automatically follow the player and even teleport next to them if they're too far away or out of sight, and will actively seek and target enemies in their vicinity.

Be warned, however: the girls are not invulnerable to either your attacks or the enemy's, and they will get temporarily knocked out if they take too much damage! Collect hoagies from the environment and feed them to the girls to keep them in good shape. Should a DoomGal lose all of their HP, you must wait 90 seconds for them to respawn.

It is also possible to command each DoomGal to Stay and hold their position, or continue to Follow your movements by pressing the Use key next to them. They will still be able to attack enemies in Stay mode, allowing you to set them up near chokepoints to attack enemies from a safe position or prevent them from walking into traps and ambushes.

The DoomGals will also temporarily enter a ghost state when being commanded to Stay or Follow, allowing the player to pass through them and preventing players from getting trapped in tight corridors and dead ends.

Note that the girls cannot dodge projectiles or teleport to your location when in Stay mode. If the DoomGals were somehow left behind in a certain part of the map in Stay mode and thus unable to teleport to you, use the Mobile Phone to summon them from afar and set them to Follow mode again.

ITEM LIST:
Spoiler:
CHARACTERS/MOVELIST:
Spoiler:
TO-DO LIST
Spoiler:
KNOWN ISSUES
* Iris' Hyperspeed powerup will not affect certain modded weapons' fire rates, but will still give the player increased movement speed. This is mainly due to certain weapons having numerous 1-tic animation frames, and as such Hyperspeed may not affect weapons from mods such as Smooth Doom.
* Deep damaging liquid floors and instant-death pits can end up removing the girls from the map completely, which will disable them for the rest of the run.
* The girls can and will sometimes get stuck on certain linedefs such as corners, stair/lift edges and certain depressed fake bridge platforms such as the ones in Ancient Aliens; this may occasionally cause short and narrow lifts to malfunction. Concessions were made to prevent this behavior, but the solution may not be 100% effective.

CREDITS
Spoiler:
Last edited by Substance20 on Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:21 am, edited 9 times in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: DoomGals v0.5 - A Demon Girl A.I. helper mod

Post by Captain J »

Seen this on some discord server and i gotta say, you're good at doom modding! Those two companions are unique to one and other and fights well. I really wonder if they could help doomguy in some mass-destructive maps like nuts2. :P
Zoskiacu

Post by Zoskiacu »

I return to the forums after a long break from Doom, and this is one of the first things I see

I am so proud of this community
Spoiler:
PatCatz2004

Post by PatCatz2004 »

This mod's perfect for both Hearts of Demons: Baron and Hearts of Demons: Revenant
Techy_koi

Post by Techy_koi »

Yay!!!! NiceNiceNiceNiceNiceNiceNoice!!!!
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Zoskiacu wrote:
Spoiler:
Oh my, that's lewd! Tho such NSFW stuff are obviously not allowed in this forum. :P

EDIT: I accidentally spawned Caco-chan close to the corner. She spawned there, obviously did not move.

She easily could teleport out of there, sure. But she won't do anything at all unless she teleport out of this place and all. Or maybe make her hitbox small as Cynthia's?
Last edited by Captain J on Wed May 27, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

You know, i always wondered why DoomGuy never had a female equivalent that equally kicks Demon ass.

Shelly BombShell Harrison does come close from Ion Fury though.

Either way, this is a neat thing. I like it. Very cool. :)
Irrevenant

Post by Irrevenant »

PatCatz2004 wrote:This mod's perfect for both Hearts of Demons: Baron and Hearts of Demons: Revenant
Pairs well with High Noon Drifter, too. Corzo could use more demon friends.

Really cool mod.
Skelegant
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Skelegant »

Nice to see your modding work finally out there for folks to enjoy! It's been a joy seeing your sprites take form and a pleasure to help out :D
Hurykles
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Hurykles »

holy shit you absolute madman! I can't belive someone actually did it. Gonna play it with DoomLess monster pack and let these girls kick some marine asses heheh
also can't wait for Baroness to be added and maybe that arachno-girl too... maybe? please?
QuickWolfPT

Re: DoomGals - A Demon Girl A.I. helper mod (v0.75 Update!)

Post by QuickWolfPT »

Really like this mod so far, the only "complain" i have is that while playing with HardDoom, one of the imp types gets replaced with Primrose.
One of the things i really like is that they can actually die and then you'll have to wait, that makes you have to care atleast a little (since they're so powerful) for them.
If i can leave a suggestion would be to add some options to the girls, like a damage/health slider, the option to make their stay limited in some way (they could have limited lives or just stay for a certain ammount of time and then have a cooldown), but i don't know how hard it is to make so...
Wish you the best
Substance20

Post by Substance20 »

Skelegant wrote:Nice to see your modding work finally out there for folks to enjoy! It's been a joy seeing your sprites take form and a pleasure to help out
Thanks! :) I couldn't have done it if you didn't show me the ropes honestly.
QuickWolfPT wrote:Really like this mod so far, the only "complain" i have is that while playing with HardDoom, one of the imp types gets replaced with Primrose.
Thanks for catching this, I took a look at Hard Doom and one of the imp replacements uses the same sprite filenames as Primrose (PRIM) so I changed Primrose's asset names and it should be good now. :)

As for the difficulty suggestions, I might include variants for those in the future but for now, it's still quite hard to play even with the girls helping you since they can die quite easily in enemy-heavy or slaughter mapsets (even a single chaingunner, mancubus or arachnotron can give Caco-chan a lot of trouble and even solo her if she gets unlucky), and if the player is aggressive then they will still receive the brunt of enemy attention.
Craneo
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Craneo »

this is a pretty nice mod! I think I like these the most out of all the "Companion" mods, kinda wish there was a way to keep the Health Bonus item, or have it spawn alongside the sandwich thing, also, do you mind if I convert the demon girls sprites into Zandronum-compatible Player skins?
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Or probably make the hoagie edible for the player as well? Just suggesting some easy thing here-
Endie
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Endie »

What a lovely mod! it's definitely one i'm keeping.

Would be nice if the companions didn't blocked player movement though, but overall i really liked all of the companions
Also, looks like the thread name is slightly outdated (Link says the version is 0.8, while the thread says it's 0.75)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”