[WIP] In Pursuit of Greed Mod (Working Title)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [WIP] In Pursuit of Greed Mod (Working Title)

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:20 am

Glad to hear it! This is a very interesting mod and I will be experimenting with it on different maps to see which ones suit its rather peculiar gameplay best, as it is not adapted at all to Doom's linear level structure. So far, I feel like maps such as Doom II's MAP30 allow you to make the most out of the mod, since they do not have conventional exits and thus there is no risk of getting accidentally ejected from a level before having had the chance to fully explore it and get all the secrets.

Anyway, is there a way to see my current score without using GZDoom's alternative hud?

Finally, three suggestions:

1) Would it be possible to reassign the weapons so that they better match their Doom counterparts? By which I mean having the melee weapon bound to slot 1, the starting ranged weapon to slot 2, the plasma spreader and flame thrower to 3, etc. It especially took me a while to figure out how to select the melee weapon; at first, I thought it was only available when I have completely run out of ammo, which felt like a shame, as it definitely has its use despite being rather weak.

2) Would it be possible to make the health and shield power-ups be used automatically, similar to HealthPickup.AutoUse 1 in Heretic/Hexen's lowest difficulty setting? It might just be me, but it feels awkward to have to constantly be reminded to manually heal yourself/repair your shield, especially during heavy combat.

3) Would it be possible to add an option to disable the nexus exit? As I mentioned, scoring is a bit of a gimmick right now and it can be annoying to get ejected from a level prematurely.
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby Cyantusk » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:20 pm

Thank you for your suggestions and compliments!

You don't need to take the Exit Nexus as soon as it spawns, since it has an indefinite lifespan. You can continue exploring the map normally. If you want to do that, once the countdown starts, be ready to move when it ends. Players can exit only after it's fully open (when it begins spawning the particles).

Anyway, is there a way to see my current score without using GZDoom's alternative hud?

At the moment not. I'm not proficient on coding HUD elements, so feel free to help me with that if you want!

Now for the suggestions:

1. Maybe a patch could be made just to reassign the weapons so people optionally load it to play. I have to test if this in fact works. Any idea for its name? Maybe IPOGClasses-VanillaDoomWeaponSlots?

2. If I remember correctly, I did add this feature on lower skill levels in a development version, but for some reason it wasn't working as expected. Maybe I forgot a flag or something. I can take a look at it again, no problem! You prefer this feature avaliable in all skill levels (maybe except the final one -- Demon Spawn --, since it's supposed to be challenging)?

3. Sure thing! I didn't consider implementing it because it was a core feature of the mod, but now it seems it should be a nice addition to have to give a more vanilla Doom feel.

I'll work on your suggestions as soon as I can! Please, if possible, test the development versions because they are in an advanced state, with lots of improvements, including enemies balancing and bugfixes. I noticed their links were directing to the repository pages instead of downloading the file, so I fixed it.
Cyantusk

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:38 pm

I am a novice when it comes to coding, so unfortunately, I do not think I can be much help. :?

But speaking of the downloads, why is it downloading in .zip format rather than .pk3?
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby Cyantusk » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:45 am

GitLab creates a compressed file (being zip, tar.gz, tar.bz2 or tar) when downloading the code from repositories. You can load it like it's an .pk3 without issues.
Cyantusk

Postby Cyantusk » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:47 am

Also, I'm not sure if adding the feature described in point "1" should be interesting. It's a mod which do not have weapons corresponding to Doom counterparts for the most part. Maybe I should had added weapon slot numbers in the help screens.
Cyantusk

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:38 am

Whatever works! I am able to change the weapon slots myself anyway. I just thought I would share this idea with you. :wink:
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby Cyantusk » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:15 am

Points 2 and 3 are implemented. Point 2 will work for the first 3 skill levels. Feel free to give feedback!
Cyantusk

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:44 am

Cool! Thanks. :thumb:

Out of curiosity, what file is used to enable the automatic use of health and shield inventory items?
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby Cyantusk » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:23 pm

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Out of curiosity, what file is used to enable the automatic use of health and shield inventory items?

I coded in ACS this part, since it wasn't possible to add that property for the Shield Recharge. The functions are in Greed.acs and are called "AutoUseShieldRecharge" and "AutoUseMedicalTube".

But keep in mind you can still die if the damage you receive is higher than you can take. I made this way to discourage people from running in the middle of enemies without thinking about the consequences.
Cyantusk

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:44 pm

I have to say, I am not quite sure I understand the point of some of the starting weapons' secondary fire modes.
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby Cyantusk » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:20 pm

Initial ranged weapons for everyone is for crowd control. For Cyborg, Mooman, Specimen7, and Dominatrix, you can use their pistols secondary fire when enemies are near each other (kinda touching), since the radius of the explosion is very small. For Lizardman, the arrow rips thru enemies in straight line, so you have to make the enemies align when you shoot.

Initial melee weapons have a distinct feature each. Cyborg's generate shield, Lizardman's primary fire does a lot of damage and secondary fire poisons the target, Mooman's pushes enemies away (primary is a single enemy and secondary is in a sphere around him), Specimen7's hits multiple times and secondary fire leaps, and Dominatrix forces pain.

You can always take a look on the help screens (F1 or "Read This!" in main menu). They have the essential knowledge needed to play the mod.
Cyantusk

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:54 pm

I did read the help screens, but the description felt a bit vague to me, at least when it comes to Cyborg's Pistol and such.
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby Cyantusk » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:49 pm

I'll review the help screens then.
Cyantusk

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods