Nightshift v2.1 (01/12/20) Stable changes

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Nightshift v1.3 - A Customizable Survival Horror Mod

Postby BradmanX » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:35 am

Jarewill wrote:Talking about healing, maybe make it also not instant? A small animation could play and stop/slow down the player while they are healing.
Would also make it slightly more strategic with having to go behind cover to heal instead of just mashing the "use inventory" button.

I kinda like the idea of having an option to make the healing not be instant, though perhaps rather than being immobile while healing, like in say, Left 4 Dead or something like that, maybe something more like how the medkits work in Soldier Z, where you heal over time when you use a medkit, but stop getting healed if you move too quickly.
BradmanX

Re: Nightshift v1.2 - A Custom Survival Horror mod (+ Addons

Postby EddieMann » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:51 pm

Might I suggest having zombies and imps a unique burning death state like The Thing mod? That'd spice things up real well.

RicardoLuis0 wrote:I've made an addon for this, ported the weapon inertia system that i made for my still-WIP mod.

It will need updating whenever the player actor code is changed, but it's very straightforward, just copy over the NS-Player.txt file and change "StrifePlayer" to "NSInertiaPlayerBase" and "NSPlayer" to "NSInertiaPlayer"

Copy over NS-Player.txt from the base mod to your mod, or vice-versa?
EddieMann

Re: Nightshift v1.2 - A Custom Survival Horror mod (+ Addons

Postby RicardoLuis0 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:01 pm

EddieMann wrote:Copy over NS-Player.txt from the base mod to your mod, or vice-versa?

yup, just copy the file over and change the two words
RicardoLuis0

Discord: RicardoLuis0#1862
Github ID: RicardoLuis0
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby bumfight » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:15 pm

Hey bro about that ammo issue
could you maybe make shotgun normal shotgun ammo but tune it a bit down damage wise?
I have played this mod with 3 different wads and dont find any ammo, playing with rifle only gets really stale really fast.
Thank you, sorry for bothering you
bumfight

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:42 pm

Hi! Sorry for being absent for so long! I will answer all questions as possible, and resume regular updates!

Expect new things in my mods pretty soon!
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992

Postby -Ghost- » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:23 pm

Mod's feeling pretty good so far! I think I agree that I'd like to see more weapons, the ones you've got now feel pretty good. Maybe weapon variants? Is it possible to make the pistols/rifles etc. a bit more random? Maybe one run you start with the 220, another with an M1911, another with a Glock, etc. That might be a good way to keep the overall weapon count still "low," but have some anticipation for finding other weapons and exploring. So you've got 2-3 weapons per slot with different stats (could try and stick to same caliber weapons too if you want consistency, i.e. a Beretta, Glock and 220, L85 and M16, etc.) but can only carry one per slot. That's probably a lot of work, but it might help add variety while staying with the lower, more effective weapon style.
-Ghost-

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:42 am

Scratchy wrote:Hi! Been a user of this website for a long time since i was 11 and just now i decided to make an account to tell you that, please keep it up. survival horror games are my favorite and now that there´s a Doom mod for that i think its fucking amazing! please dont abandon this mod, so far i´ve been enjoying so much. You have my full support!.

These kind of comments make my day brighter and keeps me pumped to move on. Thank you sir! :)

Jarewill wrote:Small idea:

Thanks man! Will tinker with player parameters to see if i can make anything cumulative!

BradmanX wrote:I kinda like the idea of having an option to make the healing not be instant, though perhaps rather than being immobile while healing, like in say, Left 4 Dead or something like that, maybe something more like how the medkits work in Soldier Z, where you heal over time when you use a medkit, but stop getting healed if you move too quickly.

Thanks! Noted down.

EddieMann wrote:Might I suggest having zombies and imps a unique burning death state like The Thing mod? That'd spice things up real well.

If i can do it without replacing vanilla monsters and keep the compatibility, that would be great!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:45 am

bumfight wrote:Hey bro about that ammo issue
could you maybe make shotgun normal shotgun ammo but tune it a bit down damage wise?
I have played this mod with 3 different wads and dont find any ammo, playing with rifle only gets really stale really fast.
Thank you, sorry for bothering you

Sure, i can tinker with quantities!

-Ghost- wrote:Mod's feeling pretty good so far! I think I agree that I'd like to see more weapons, the ones you've got now feel pretty good. Maybe weapon variants? Is it possible to make the pistols/rifles etc. a bit more random? Maybe one run you start with the 220, another with an M1911, another with a Glock, etc. That might be a good way to keep the overall weapon count still "low," but have some anticipation for finding other weapons and exploring. So you've got 2-3 weapons per slot with different stats (could try and stick to same caliber weapons too if you want consistency, i.e. a Beretta, Glock and 220, L85 and M16, etc.) but can only carry one per slot. That's probably a lot of work, but it might help add variety while staying with the lower, more effective weapon style.

Since the Tonfa will become an add on, i don't see why i should not add more guns!

YukesVonFaust, my partner in arms and mods was dying to see a lever action rifle to fit the survival theme. This is the chance!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Postby BradmanX » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:46 am

Yeah, having some extra weapons, whether as additions to the roster, additions to a randomized pool, or something the player chooses, would be nice.
BradmanX

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:09 pm

And the winner is... The crowbar!!!

I was starting to like the tonfa, but since i proposed the power of choice to you guys, now i must go on with it.

Expect news soon!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Postby The Philosopher » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:54 pm

Hey Cosmo, i started to work on a monster pack for your mod but recently i started to work on other mods so i canot work on the monster pack for now, maybe you could continue with this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9sqyu44qj4dyu1n/Nightshift%20Monsterpack.pk3?dl=0

This simply replaces the Zombieman and the Shotgunguy with a slow moving but though zombie and marine corpses and also replaces the imp with ambience sounds

Credits:
!Spook
Vonlichstein
The Philosopher

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:46 pm

This is awesome!!!

Thanks man, i am sure to assume it from here!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Postby r&r » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:25 pm

Can I suggest hidden secret OP weapons and weapon upgrades?

Something like Silent hill and Resident Evil series of 1,2 and 3 did,
with the golden or silver pipe, aka the Axe, that does double the damage.
A hyper-blaster/arcade like gun, with inf ammo.
and a Katana does the same damage like the basic Axe but it swinging speed is twice as fast
A Colt S.A.A.

And a Scope for the pistol, and a shotgun upgrade addon.

But these weapons and upgrades spawn rate would be very low and random to get.

just ideas.
r&r

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:06 pm

I am not going to lie, i've shown a concept of a scope upgrade to the L85A2 in the Discord server, and people seemed to like it, actually.

I don't think i would mind expanding the capabilities of the current arsenal (adding laser sights, silencers, scopes/whatever comes to mind, and, more important than anything, IF they are avaiable somehow, as i am not talented enough to make those sprites, they're the fruition of other great guys work). My only holdback is how to implement them. Randomspawners are sheer luck and not every player will get to experience the same fun as if they could actually pull a way to drop them.

I am open to suggestions though. =)
Dr_Cosmobyte

Postby The Philosopher » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:35 pm

Hey, speaking of Discord, how i can join? Recently i installed Discord on my PC to talk with friends and i could also use it to make suggestions of your mod
The Philosopher

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods