Nightshift v2.1 (01/12/20) Stable changes

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Nightshift v1.9 (14/08/20)

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I actually wish i had some time to stay home, because i have an old blogspot address (back from 2009 or 2008 i think), which i tried to keep updated but eventually i gave up.

Now that i have a considerable amount of mods to work with and experiment with, i thought on revamping the place to make it a dedicated space to my works, just like some friends do with Itch.Io here.

I could also use that blog to talk about the lores, influences or anything related really.

As for Nightshift, i fiddled around a little bit and managed to do a few cool things that change the gameplay, and i am getting happy with it. I just won't release a 2.0 now (i want it to be a big update), but expect it to be... challenging.

:)
AstartesCitizen
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by AstartesCitizen »

After dealing with a power cut that left me without connection for more than a week, I can say a little feedback on the mods current version.

Is really great, the changes are noticeable, the sprites for me at least look more smooth and polished and the guns still feel satisfying to use, and the enemy pack you recommended to play it with....man it made me more hooked to the mod now, that Malice monsters pack do fit the horror theme I was looking for, and fit like a glove to the mod as well, found myself sweating when out of nowhere a corpse suddenly became a flesh monster of sort, I did feel more vulnerable and more "careful" with my health and ammo, now that pack is my goto monster pack, thank you for make aware of it, hoping to see future updates.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah, this pairs really well with the Malice monsters! I don't normally like voxels in Doom mods, but I love the ones you're using here, kind of reminds me of Half Life pickups.

I still feel like this could use maybe one or two more weapons, though. The weapon balance is pretty good, but it gets a little dull having only 4 for a longer mapset. Maybe some kind of SMG and a hunting rifle or some other kind of precision weapon?
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

I gotta agree with Ghost on this one. The balance is great from a gameplay perspective, but things start feeling pretty repetitive with only 5 weapons. I think if these new weapons were optional to maintain people who want a more conservative approach, that could be cool. I think an SMG or bolt action rifle would be interesting additions, especially if the bolt on the rifle could work similarly to the pump on the shotgun where you press altfire to work it.

That being said, this is a really cool mod that benefits heavily from cool monster mods. It creates really good survival horror style encounters, and even starts to carry the tone of one when my addons all work together just right. I also really like the design for the protagonist. It helps create a bit of a character which helps the mod feel more unique. Great stuff here, dude
Linz

Post by Linz »

I'm unsure on what maps to play this with tbh
EnriksD8

Post by EnriksD8 »

Linz wrote:I'm unsure on what maps to play this with tbh
I recommend maps that are atmospheric and focus more on building tension than regular maps or slaughter maps.
Linz

Post by Linz »

Yeah uh

I dunno many of those,is the thing
SLON
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by SLON »

-Ghost- wrote:Yeah, this pairs really well with the Malice monsters!
This one really looks creepy as hell. For real, unlike the Dark Creatures and others. As if Doom was originally created with a heavy emphasis on horror.

Speaking about maps, I have already mentioned such as Unloved, Cheogsh, Umbra of Fate and stuff like that.
Linz

Post by Linz »

Must've missed it,but thanks!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Linz wrote:Yeah uh

I dunno many of those,is the thing
As for monster mods, there are some in the first page, i recommend you check them out, as well as project malice :)

As for new weapons, i can't promise anything since Spawn was released, though Nightshift won't be in the backburner for long.

In the meantime, check this weapon showcase by Xenolix!

Commissar Farzi
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Commissar Farzi »

So, I just now picked up the updated version of nightshift. Gotta admit, like the new voxel models, but I think the old text style better suits the feel of the mod over the new one. Still, keep up the good work.
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Another great mod by Cosmobyte. After playing with this mod I discovered another mod and thought this would be a perfect combo for some survival horror fun. So here is my go at Nightshift.

Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Commissar Farzi wrote:So, I just now picked up the updated version of nightshift. Gotta admit, like the new voxel models, but I think the old text style better suits the feel of the mod over the new one. Still, keep up the good work.
I forgot to post your videos, lol

But don't worry, i'll fix that in a minute. Thanks for playing dude!
Rex705 wrote:Another great mod by Cosmobyte. After playing with this mod I discovered another mod and thought this would be a perfect combo for some survival horror fun. So here is my go at Nightshift.

Yes, seen this today! As well as the Dark7 gameplay. Pretty good stuff you both. =)
JuliusKoolius

Post by JuliusKoolius »

So I've been playing this mod for a while now and it's pretty fun! But sometimes I want to be stealthy, so I think that there should be some sort of ranged silent weapon to take care of monsters at a good range but not alert any monsters
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hey there Dr.C!

I have not stop messing with your mod!
Great stuff btw!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”