Nightshift v2.1 (01/12/20) Stable changes

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
CasualScrub
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Nightshift v1 - A Customizable Survival Horror Mod

Post by CasualScrub »

I'm wondering just how many weapons should there honestly be? I suppose one or two more would be nice, but I do think that the few there are currently really force you to utilize them for different situations. Would it be better to use the rifle now since it's more powerful, or make due with your pistol for the time being since you have more ammo? That sort of thing. Plus it helps reinforce just how vulnerable you are.

Maybe something like an SMG to fill the role of the chaingun.
RastaManGames
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by RastaManGames »

Is there any good and modern enemies mod?
I mean, that contains only zombies, strange creatures, horrifying monsters, eerie beings and etc., that can spawn randomly on the start of each map or something?
Um... I want something scary and immersive...
Last edited by RastaManGames on Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Philosopher
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by The Philosopher »

RastaManGames wrote:Is there any good and modern enemies mod?
I mean, that contain only zombies, strange creatures, horrifying monsters and etc., that can spawn randomly on the start of each map or something?
Um... I mean... I want something scary and immersive...
Codename Hunk Monters is a good option.
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

RastaManGames wrote:Is there any good and modern enemies mod?
I mean, that contain only zombies, strange creatures, horrifying monsters and etc., that can spawn randomly on the start of each map or something?
Um... I mean... I want something scary and immersive...
there's also cherno's left 4 dead monsters too, that's also good
Taffer

Post by Taffer »

Hey, I'm enjoying this mod a lot, but I wanted to ask if there's a way to disable the custom skybox? It kinda clashes with some of the maps I'm running with this.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Nightshift v1.1 - A Customizable Survival Horror Mod

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

CasualScrub wrote:I'm wondering just how many weapons should there honestly be? I suppose one or two more would be nice, but I do think that the few there are currently really force you to utilize them for different situations. Would it be better to use the rifle now since it's more powerful, or make due with your pistol for the time being since you have more ammo? That sort of thing. Plus it helps reinforce just how vulnerable you are.

Maybe something like an SMG to fill the role of the chaingun.
Here. ^^^

This is kinda my point, thanks man. I mean, i know it sounds so little and the unwritten rule of the IoS is kinda difficult to accomplish, (although i managed to kill him with grenades in a few maps) i wouldn't like to add a lot of weapons. But for now, i'd like to turn the attention to other things:

My internet connection is troublesome at the moment, so i won't be able to post regular updates as always. For now, i'd like to leave the v1.1 build for download, with a few things that were urgent and easy for me to fix.

I added a melee weapon, the tonfa baton! It's not perfect, but at least it swings faster than the kick hits, which may make some encounters easy. I will do a quick tonfa command as well as a cvar for switching to the tonfa automatically when it hits.

I also added a CVAR for toggle-ing the rifle fire rate: Now you can toggle between Doom's vanilla speed (525rpm) or Strife assault rifle speed (700rpm)! Although it seems obvious to use the latter, don't forget the ammo comsuption =p

I also corrected (reversed actually) the pistol firing mode indicators: One dot means single action and two dots mean double action, feels more intuitive, right?

And at last, i added a overhealth bar, god bless Xaser!
Spoiler: Changelog
Please keep your feedback coming, i hope you guys keep having fun, and again, thanks for all the compliments!

EDIT: I forgot the Tonfa pickup and the idle sprite was awful. :roll:
PatCatz2004

Re: Nightshift v1.1 - A Customizable Survival Horror Mod

Post by PatCatz2004 »

I actually found that ZMOVEMENT mod may as well be perfect for this mod, assuming that uhm the settings are set for the mod, relatively speaking actually
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Nightshift v1.1 - A Custom Survival H. Mod (POLL ADDED!)

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Guys, I've added a poll as you can see! Give it a vote and choose for which melee weapon should be present in Nightshift while the tonfa baton is the place holder!
r&r wrote:would you be willing to add in a custom horror map option?
I am making a little texture pack, dont worry! ;D
PatCatz2004 wrote:I actually found that ZMOVEMENT mod may as well be perfect for this mod, assuming that uhm the settings are set for the mod, relatively speaking actually
Will link it, thanks my man!
CasualScrub

Post by CasualScrub »

I'm also gonna agree with a previous comment that some kind of monster set built specifically for it would really benefit the survival horror nature of it.
RastaManGames
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by RastaManGames »

This mod contains really impressive spritework, nice atmosphere and grand design.
But... I just can't see this weapons and surroundings with default doom monsters.
Also scenery kinda reminds me of "Shut Up And Bleed" mod (that was realy grim and dark).
Maybe additional monster pack (or included custom monsters with option to disable them) will be good descision.
By the way, my gratitude, @Dr_Cosmobyte. This mod is beautiful.
NantoCodd

Post by NantoCodd »

I would like to see a collapsible baton as the replacement for melee weapon, keeping with the 'security guard' theme and because I think they are way underrated
theroguemonk
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by theroguemonk »

im going to change hte kick to knife eventually anyway ...
i hvae plans hihihihih

i chose knife bceause resident evil ..
BradmanX

Post by BradmanX »

RastaManGames wrote:This mod contains really impressive spritework, nice atmosphere and grand design.
But... I just can't see this weapons and surroundings with default doom monsters.
Also scenery kinda reminds me of "Shut Up And Bleed" mod (that was realy grim and dark).
Maybe additional monster pack (or included custom monsters with option to disable them) will be good descision.
By the way, my gratitude, @Dr_Cosmobyte. This mod is beautiful.
You can play it with any monster mod you want, you don't have to play with the vanilla enemies, something like Dark Doom Creatures (Or monsters, I don't remember which) might be a good fit if you want to stick with demons or a monsters only version of Shut Up and Bleed someone made (https://www.moddb.com/addons/suab-monsters-only), ZikShadow's Codename Hunk Monsters might be another good choice.
CasualScrub

Post by CasualScrub »

Can I just say, the shotgun is super satisfying to use. Though it might be a bit too strong; I was able to one-shot a Hell Knight. Don't know if that's intentional.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”