Nightshift v2.1 (01/12/20) Stable changes

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Nightshift v2.1 (01/12/20) Stable changes

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:44 am

Image

Hello everyone, welcome once again to one of my mods (the 9th, to be more precise). During these days and months i've not been uploading any updates and bugfixes to my mods, many things in life started to get in the way, and i didn't quite had the guts to work older things. But when working personal patches, mainly for Factotum (another survival horror mod i have), something started to roll the gears. It was Nightshift.

Spoiler: More useless backstory


Nightshift is a weapons/gameplay mod that aims to be a survival horror experience, making things harder, intensifying encounters, encouraging resource management and set you in a lower ambience rather than the usual heavy metal. But you don't have to count only on your wits and your luck! Nightshift is the smallest weapons mod i've ever uploaded so far, but ironically it is very much complete. You can choose to play this in Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen, Hacx 2.0 and even Chex Quest!

You can customize the probability of your ammo spawns, which weapons to start with, if you want the damn ambience or not, visual and overall aesthetic effects, weapon behaviour, items behaviour, and i can't believe i've done so much CVARS in a mod under 4MBs!

Although your arsenal is limited, weapons are very stronger than usual, so if you decide to scavenge for ammo in order to have a more exciting gameplay, the firepower won't make you feel like you are wasting bullets. If you are already thinking on which mods to play this with, i can already tell: Dark ambience mods, fog mods, moody music, any kind of atmospheric add on can enhance your times with Nightshift, either this or guaranteed your money back!



Spoiler: Weapons


Spoiler: Items


Spoiler: Player


Spoiler: Credits


Spoiler: Recomended Add-ons


Spoiler: Videos


CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD!

Enough talk, have fun!!!
Last edited by Dr_Cosmobyte on Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 63 times in total.
User avatar
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992
 
Joined: 05 Jun 2015
Location: Killing spiders.

Re: Nightshift v1 - A Customizable Survival Horror Mod

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:44 am

Known issues:

- The snow won't work in Hexen and Hacx. I'd like to be able to explain it, but i am not. Either the ACS format is not compatible, or the script is bugged up. In Heretic, the thing is slightly different: The snow only works if you walk very near outside areas. Most notably on E1M1. but since Heretic has a lot of open areas, this might not be a issue so big.

- Rats won't spawn with AI Director.

- Hexen spawns are a bit bland and the gameplay is repetitive. I did had the ideas of spawning powder pickups that could be combined, a la Resident Evil 3, But it's so much for nothing. At least not now.

More as bugs appear and i can't fix.
Last edited by Dr_Cosmobyte on Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992
 
Joined: 05 Jun 2015
Location: Killing spiders.

Re: Nightshift v1 - A Customizable Survival Horror Mod

Postby jdredalert » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:45 am

Heh, i'm glad to be one of the testers! I've enjoyed it a lot so far.
User avatar
jdredalert
State of badass art.
 
Joined: 14 Jul 2013

Re: Nightshift v1 - A Customizable Survival Horror Mod

Postby Whoah » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:30 pm

As someone who thoroughly enjoyed Factotum: Survival, I'm having a blast with this mod! Though I did see one little issue. The pistol seems to keep jumping between single and double action at random times. Sometimes trying to switch the fire mode plays the animation, but it doesn't change it (or at least I think?), and sometimes it changes after I reload. Not sure what the issue is, but it makes the gun a little unreliable. Besides that, excellent mod, and I look forward to seeing what you do with this

EDIT: So after playing a bit more, it seems the display on the HUD showing the firemode for the pistol was just confusing me. Sometimes the second dot disappears then reappears, and I was a little puzzled to figure out that one dot means double action, but two dots means single action.

While I'm here, I would like to suggest the addition of a dedicated melee weapon. Maybe something decently effective that's kinda tricky to get the hang of, but is useful for conserving ammunition or saving your ass when your ammo runs dry. It would also give some more Silent Hill vibes, and create some tense encounters. It could be something like an axe, or a crowbar, or whatever. I just think it'd be neat, and a nice option for backup
Last edited by Whoah on Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Whoah
Confusion is my natural state
 
Joined: 13 Apr 2017
Location: I'm actually not 100% sure on that

Re: Nightshift v1 - A Customizable Survival Horror Mod

Postby PatCatz2004 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:38 pm

now that......thats quite good honestly. thats it
PatCatz2004
 
Joined: 08 Feb 2020

Re: Nightshift v1 - A Customizable Survival Horror Mod

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:59 pm

jdredalert wrote:Heh, i'm glad to be one of the testers! I've enjoyed it a lot so far.


Thanks man, i am glad you enjoyed helping!

PatCatz2004 wrote:now that......thats quite good honestly. thats it


Thanks! Keep tuned and if you find something, don't hesitate to feedback.

Whoah wrote:As someone who thoroughly enjoyed Factotum: Survival, I'm having a blast with this mod! Though I did see one little issue. The pistol seems to keep jumping between single and double action at random times. Sometimes trying to switch the fire mode plays the animation, but it doesn't change it (or at least I think?), and sometimes it changes after I reload. Not sure what the issue is, but it makes the gun a little unreliable. Besides that, excellent mod, and I look forward to seeing what you do with this

EDIT: So after playing a bit more, it seems the display on the HUD showing the firemode for the pistol was just confusing me. Sometimes the second dot disappears then reappears, and I was a little puzzled to figure out that one dot means double action, but two dots means single action.


Thanks! If you played Factotum you probably noticed this mod is like father like son; Many things seen in there were polished and remade with better assets, while i did the usual asset recycling from my other mods. About the pistol, i fixed all this for the next update, but for now, here's how it works:

The P220 is a Double/Single action pistol. The gun starts with its hammer uncocked (double action), and pressing altfire will switch it to single action by cocking the hammer. Pressing altfire again (or any key you might have bound to it) will release the hammer, setting it back to double action. After the first shot in Double Action, the pistol will automatically switch to Single action, as in real life.

So if you want the damage bonuses, you must keep releasing the hammer after each shot. Reloading also uncocks the hammer :)

The dots in the status bar will be right for the next update (one dot meaning SA and two dots meaning DA).

Whoah wrote:While I'm here, I would like to suggest the addition of a dedicated melee weapon. Maybe something decently effective that's kinda tricky to get the hang of, but is useful for conserving ammunition or saving your ass when your ammo runs dry. It would also give some more Silent Hill vibes, and create some tense encounters. It could be something like an axe, or a crowbar, or whatever. I just think it'd be neat, and a nice option for backup


I thought of a bowie knife as a melee partner, but for now i only left the kick attack because many players don't like scrolling through weapons in order to get to the melee and go back. But i will keep your suggestion in mind, don't worry. I bold'ed the kick attack because some players may not notice the bind commands or read the weapons guide. :)
User avatar
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992
 
Joined: 05 Jun 2015
Location: Killing spiders.

Re: Nightshift v1 - A Customizable Survival Horror Mod

Postby LossForWords » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:30 pm

gave it a run in psxdoom with a left4dead monster set, and i gotta say, this is one of your best mods. the atmospheric stuff was nice, and the weapons felt punchy and fun to use. i also liked the addition of storing items/health pickups on the inventory, cuz i like not having to backtrack across the whole level to scrounge up a few stimpacks.
the only weapons i would add, personally, are a sniper rifle , a slot 5 explosive gun and a hefty melee weapon, like whoah said, as maybe a chainsaw replacement, although the sniper may be redundant with the enfield's semi auto mode.
User avatar
LossForWords
your friendly neighborhood друг.
 
Joined: 14 Jan 2017

Re: Nightshift v1 - A Customizable Survival Horror Mod

Postby Malfunction » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:51 pm

Funny thing, yesterday I was playing around with some sp00ky horror wads and thought "I wonder if anyone's done a survival horror-esq gameplay mod" (aside from Shut Up and Bleed of course), and then whaddya know, this mod shows up. And it's really good so far. I feel it hits the survival horror feeling pretty damn well. Plus, I haven't had any bugs or glitches, aside from the stuff you already listed.

Anyway, as for suggestions and feedback, I have a couple ideas.

I think the flamethrower could use a couple things to make it feel more like a flamethrower, at least in the mechanics department.
For the flamethrower, I would suggest two things. If possible, some form of afterburn, i.e. they take some damage over time from being set on fire. It would be fairly weak, so people don't just lightly puff enemies and let afterburn do everything. Secondly, as an idea I̶'̶m̶ ̶s̶t̶e̶a̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶O̶p̶e̶r̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶A̶p̶o̶l̶l̶y̶o̶n̶ I thought of, you could spray the floor with the Flamethrower to leave a fire there for a short time, which would damage anything that touches it. Could be useful for a player halting the progress of chasing enemies such as Pinky Demons or Lost Souls, for example.

Lastly, I agree with Whoah in that there should be some form of non-firearm weapon for Slot 1. Rather than just the obvious stuff (Slow but heavy hitting Sledgehammer, fast but weak knife, etc) I would suggest, as a random idea to go along with the "Nightshift" title reminding me of security guards, that you could have a short range Taser or Stun Gun in that weapon slot. Maybe it would stun monsters instead of damaging them, idk. There's my random idea for the day.

EDIT: In custom wads were you spawn without weapons, you can't get the SIG Sauer P220 without giving it to yourself via the console, as pistol pickups are replaced with just pistol ammo. If this could be changed so you could get your pistol legitimately, it would help immensely.
Last edited by Malfunction on Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Malfunction
 
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Re: Nightshift v1 - A Customizable Survival Horror Mod

Postby Toberone » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:51 pm

Why not a nightstick for nightshift? that could work for a slot 1, lol.

To piggyback on the above post, I have one suggestion for the flamethrower. I think I see what you were going for but I think if the flame projectiles had a crash/death state it would feel a little more impactful. Personally, it kinda looks like the flames are just pushing the demons away till they die.

Anyway, really cool mod. The customization in the ammo and item resource management was a great idea. I prefer lite-survival horror elements in my mods so having one let me make it not so heavy in a very convenient manner is just perfect.
Toberone
 
Joined: 13 May 2013

Re: Nightshift v1 - A Customizable Survival Horror Mod

Postby The Philosopher » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:59 pm

I tried this mod today and i really liked it, how did you manage to do the snow effects?

The obly thing that confuses me is the Pistols fire modes, what is the difference between the two?

Oh and also check your PM box, i have just sended you one yesterday

Good luck with this one!
User avatar
The Philosopher
 
Joined: 20 Sep 2018
Location: Santiago, Chile

Re: Nightshift v1 - A Customizable Survival Horror Mod

Postby Whoah » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:02 pm

A melee weapon could work better if you had a button that just swapped right to it to whip it out. In fact, that's what I do normally. I have my weapon slot 1 key mapped to Q by default, so my chainsaw gets a lot more use as a result. I can understand not wanting to clutter things, though
User avatar
Whoah
Confusion is my natural state
 
Joined: 13 Apr 2017
Location: I'm actually not 100% sure on that

Re: Nightshift v1 - A Customizable Survival Horror Mod

Postby r&r » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:51 pm

Can I recommend some new weapons?
Something like a haunting rifle (Silent hill 1 or 2 like) to a grenade launcher (Resident Evil 1,2 and 3 type)
a Revolver maybe and maybe a long rusty pipe or kitchen knife/clever?

https://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/a ... 9/1039-m79
https://www.sounds-resource.com/ds_dsi/ ... und/31672/

https://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/a ... n-21485257

https://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/a ... -yellowboy

https://www.sounds-resource.com/playsta ... ound/3093/
User avatar
r&r
 
Joined: 08 Sep 2017

Re: Nightshift v1 - A Customizable Survival Horror Mod

Postby Captain J » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:08 am

Very cool and atmospheric weapon mod. Also it gives me the feeling of Silent Hill too! The instant realism of this mod has is beyond impressive. And i've got some feedback, too:

- If there are too many snow, the game start to lag a little bit. I really don't want to think about the aftermath of having that amount of snow in larger map. Buhh...

- What's the difference of between Single Action and Double Action of a Pistol? Nah i mean in the game, not as in ballistics. The one's kinda slow, but i don't see any difference.

- Flamethrower is kinda strong, but awkward to use: flame's length is rather short, the impact is not fancier enough, and the reloading takes so long.

- There are not much of various Weapons and such. Maybe you're going to add more in the future? Icon of Sin is now unfair to fight.

- Hand Grenades are kinda finicky to use: no matter how cooked it shortly, it tend to explode instantly when it hits the floor. Would be nice if there are more delay time so i can dodge the explosion.

- The Health counter is not on the HUD, so it makes me rather confusing after i use the Soulsphere.

- Berserk Kit never grant me the powerful kick, for some reason.


And that's about it. Very atmospheric and cool mod!
User avatar
Captain J
That's Amoreee
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: A Year old Pizza Box
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: Nightshift v1 - A Customizable Survival Horror Mod

Postby BradmanX » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:07 am

Played an Obaddon episode with this, Shades of Doom, Universal Entropy, and Champions, gotta say it was a fairly enjoyable experience, definitely liked all the gameplay options like the ammo scarcity, which definitely helped make things more tense alongside the atmospheric stuff, I also like the optional inventory item versions of alot the major items, it's always nice when mods allow you to take that stuff with you.
User avatar
BradmanX
 
Joined: 23 Nov 2012

Re: Nightshift v1 - A Customizable Survival Horror Mod

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:51 am

I have read all comments so far, and seeing this mod is not passing low on the players radar, and reading this is one of my best works is very satisfying. Thanks for all your compliments. To avoid making a colossal post, i am going to go straight on technical or non-redundant feedback. :wink:

Malfunction wrote:For the flamethrower, I would suggest two things. If possible, some form of afterburn, i.e. they take some damage over time from being set on fire. It would be fairly weak, so people don't just lightly puff enemies and let afterburn do everything. Secondly, as an idea I̶'̶m̶ ̶s̶t̶e̶a̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶O̶p̶e̶r̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶A̶p̶o̶l̶l̶y̶o̶n̶ I thought of, you could spray the floor with the Flamethrower to leave a fire there for a short time, which would damage anything that touches it. Could be useful for a player halting the progress of chasing enemies such as Pinky Demons or Lost Souls, for example.


Noted down, thanks.

Malfunction wrote:EDIT: In custom wads were you spawn without weapons, you can't get the SIG Sauer P220 without giving it to yourself via the console, as pistol pickups are replaced with just pistol ammo. If this could be changed so you could get your pistol legitimately, it would help immensely.


Fixed for the next build, thank you!

Toberone wrote:Why not a nightstick for nightshift? that could work for a slot 1, lol.


Of all weapons suggested, this seem one of the most interesting options. Do we have sprited Nightsticks and tonfas by the community? Hmmm....

Toberone wrote:To piggyback on the above post, I have one suggestion for the flamethrower. I think I see what you were going for but I think if the flame projectiles had a crash/death state it would feel a little more impactful. Personally, it kinda looks like the flames are just pushing the demons away till they die.


Will do something about it, thank you ;)

The Philosopher wrote:I tried this mod today and i really liked it, how did you manage to do the snow effects?

The obly thing that confuses me is the Pistols fire modes, what is the difference between the two?

Oh and also check your PM box, i have just sended you one yesterday


The wizardry is not mine, thank TerminusEst13 for such skills. I just recycled and edited some parts of the original script from Harder Event (with his blessing) to spawn snow instead of rain. The script basically searches for sky ceilings and gives you a snow spawner. The snow randomly spawns from the ceiling in many different places. Take care when using the script, too much snow can lag the game.

Pistol fire modes are the other way around for now, but in next build they'll be correct. When the pistol is in single action (cocked hammer), the trigger travels less and the trigger pull is softer, granting you better accuracy at the cost of smaller firepower. Double Action (uncocked hammer) does the opposite: the trigger pull is bigger and the hammer does the full cycle, so you get more power at the cost of accuracy. More answers can be found in previous posts :)

I have playtested your mod 2 days ago, and i really loved the new version! However i haven't wrote all my notes, so i am owning you a better feedback.

Whoah wrote:A melee weapon could work better if you had a button that just swapped right to it to whip it out. In fact, that's what I do normally. I have my weapon slot 1 key mapped to Q by default, so my chainsaw gets a lot more use as a result. I can understand not wanting to clutter things, though


It will be easy for me to add a control change in the menu. It would be bound as the deafult slot 1, but players could bind it on other buttons. Hell, i even could make a CVAR where the quick attack would kick in and select the melee-dedicated weapon if the player wants so. =)

r&r wrote:Can I recommend some new weapons?
Something like a haunting rifle (Silent hill 1 or 2 like) to a grenade launcher (Resident Evil 1,2 and 3 type)
a Revolver maybe and maybe a long rusty pipe or kitchen knife/clever?


Of all explosive weapons, i've wanted to stray away just from the M79 for now, because i think i have 4 mods that have it already :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the suggestions though. ;)

Captain J wrote:- If there are too many snow, the game start to lag a little bit. I really don't want to think about the aftermath of having that amount of snow in larger map. Buhh...


All snow effects can be toggled on the options menu; You can disable them, see only a tiny bit or go full christmas!

Captain J wrote:- What's the difference of between Single Action and Double Action of a Pistol? Nah i mean in the game, not as in ballistics. The one's kinda slow, but i don't see any difference.


It's answered on this same post, but it won't hurt to repeat: When the hammer is cocked, the bullet is more accurate and weaker. When the hammer is uncocked, the bullet is stronger and less accurate ;)

Captain J wrote:- Flamethrower is kinda strong, but awkward to use: flame's length is rather short, the impact is not fancier enough, and the reloading takes so long.


I could raise the range and reduce reload time a bit, but pretty much all the downsides are meant to balance the huge firepower.

Captain J wrote:- There are not much of various Weapons and such. Maybe you're going to add more in the future? Icon of Sin is now unfair to fight.


Hard to say. Doom has 4 ammunition types, which mean new weapons should either draw from the same ammo pools or rather adding new ammunitions to the mix. Although cool on paper, the ammunition CVARs would need to go through a complete overhaul.

Captain J wrote:- Hand Grenades are kinda finicky to use: no matter how cooked it shortly, it tend to explode instantly when it hits the floor. Would be nice if there are more delay time so i can dodge the explosion.


Noted down, ZikShadow told me that ever since beta test day one.

Captain J wrote:- The Health counter is not on the HUD, so it makes me rather confusing after i use the Soulsphere.


Will try to come up with something.

Captain J wrote:- Berserk Kit never grant me the powerful kick, for some reason.


Just like in Factotum, the berserk works more as a Medikit than a powerup. But that's not a bad idea.

WHEW!
User avatar
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992
 
Joined: 05 Jun 2015
Location: Killing spiders.

Next

Return to Gameplay Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ErrantMasa, Funky Gnoll, worldendDominator and 13 guests