[1.0] Corruption Cards - Choose cards that alter your game!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [1.0] Corruption Cards - Choose cards that alter your ga

Postby Dan_The_Noob » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:54 pm

Custom game doesn't allow permanent cards

--EDIT--
my bad, i didnt realise i could set the level count to 0 to force every level to be permanent etc.
----

also, would there be a way to allow multiple cards per level or mystery cards in addition to the picks in custom mode?
I enjoy the "Hardcore" mode, but having it ramp up slowly takes out a bit of the difficulty, since most roguelike style games are hard until you get stuff.
Dan_The_Noob

Twitch ID: Dan_The_Noob
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Cutmanmike » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:59 pm

Dan_The_Noob wrote: also, would there be a way to allow multiple cards per level or mystery cards in addition to the picks in custom mode?
I enjoy the "Hardcore" mode, but having it ramp up slowly takes out a bit of the difficulty, since most roguelike style games are hard until you get stuff.

Well the idea of the mod is to give it an escalating difficulty curve. I did experiment with a mode that had you picking "card packs" of 4 cards at a time instead of one card, but I need to redo the menu in zscript first as trying to make everything play nice in ACS is becoming a headache.
Cutmanmike
Is it hot in here or is it just ZScript

Discord: https://discord.gg/Whts7Bj
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby WolVexus » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:04 am

What all would need to be done to make the bdv21 patch also work with the xvme monster expansion out of curiosity?
WolVexus

Discord: WolVexus#2447
Twitch ID: WolVexus
Github ID: WolVexus

Postby Cutmanmike » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:39 am

WolVexus wrote:What all would need to be done to make the bdv21 patch also work with the xvme monster expansion out of curiosity?

Depends on the issues, got a link to the mod?
Cutmanmike

Postby WolVexus » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:41 am

Cutmanmike wrote:
WolVexus wrote:What all would need to be done to make the bdv21 patch also work with the xvme monster expansion out of curiosity?

Depends on the issues, got a link to the mod?

https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/ ... ters-addon
WolVexus

Postby Cutmanmike » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:03 am

It seems the monsters that die at the start of the map need the same treatment in a CCARDS lump.

Code: Select allExpand view
dontfreeze RifleZombie
dontfreeze PistolZombie
dontfreeze HeadlessZombie
dontfreeze Imp

This is the current fix. You'll have to add any other monsters that are behaving that way to that lump. I haven't a clue why this happens as brutal doom hides its ACS source from me which is... Well, it prevents me from looking into a fix without dumb patch wads.
Cutmanmike

Postby WolVexus » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:04 am

Cutmanmike wrote:It seems the monsters that die at the start of the map need the same treatment in a CCARDS lump.

Code: Select allExpand view
dontfreeze RifleZombie
dontfreeze PistolZombie
dontfreeze HeadlessZombie
dontfreeze Imp

This is the current fix. You'll have to add any other monsters that are behaving that way to that lump. I haven't a clue why this happens as brutal doom hides its ACS source from me which is... Well, it prevents me from looking into a fix without dumb patch wads.

Alright, that's what i thought but i wanted to make sure first, thanks!
WolVexus

Postby Mor'Ladim » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:06 pm

Well this blew up rather fast since I first saw it posted.

At first, it sounded like a neat concept, but considering I only play my own mod, I didn't bother to try it. I was under the impression that it only worked with vanilla Doom. Then I came back to this topic just yesterday and saw the screenshots. It's compatible with Heretic?! Sign me up! So I gave it a shot with Heretic, and I had a lot of fun. I only made it to The Graveyard, as the power in my home happened to go out for a second, so I stopped afterwards.

I am not sure why, but during Heretic, I decided to look at the first post of this topic again. I suppose to see if I was missing some info? Who knows. But thankfully since I did that, I discovered something that I did not previously see. Corruption Cards is compatible with other mods as well?! I decided to load up my mod, Bullet-Eye, to see if it would work right out of the box. Well I am literally playing it right now and so far I haven't spotted any major problems. Granted, I am only on Map03 of Vilecore, but it's nice to see that it detects my custom enemies in order for the cards to work properly.

Also, since I see some people are posting their ideas for cards, I have a few of my own. I'm not sure how possible these are, but:
- Enemies slowly regenerate health when not in the player's line of sight.
- Enemies spawn a ghost version of themselves upon death. These ghosts cannot be killed and slowly move towards the player, and will explode on contact. Ghosts only remain for a short time.
- An enemy that kills another enemy due to infighting will power up.

Again, I haven't played for too long so I am not sure if at least one of these is already in.

Keep up the good work! This is definitely something that will add difficulty to older mapsets that are sparse with enemy placement.
Mor'Ladim
Does this man finish anything?!

Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.
Discord: Mor'ladim#7303

Postby Dan_The_Noob » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:31 pm

gave the old zandronum version a crack last night, do you know which specific functions make the newer version not friendly with zandronum?
I have a mod for zandronum but it doesnt work with the zandronum version (i'm guessing the new version searches with more generic calls for monsters etc to allow mods?)
Dan_The_Noob

Postby Cutmanmike » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:11 am

Dan_The_Noob wrote:gave the old zandronum version a crack last night, do you know which specific functions make the newer version not friendly with zandronum?

The entire thing was rewritten in zscript which is what allows it to be so modular. The zandro version uses ACS and DECORATE to replace weapons, monsters, projectiles etc meaning it will always be inflexible.
Cutmanmike

Postby Dan_The_Noob » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:55 am

Cutmanmike wrote:
Dan_The_Noob wrote:gave the old zandronum version a crack last night, do you know which specific functions make the newer version not friendly with zandronum?

The entire thing was rewritten in zscript which is what allows it to be so modular. The zandro version uses ACS and DECORATE to replace weapons, monsters, projectiles etc meaning it will always be inflexible.

oh gotcha, well it's fun. currently working with a friend to get it up and running in GZDoom with my mod over virtual LAN

--EDIT--

Is there a specific tag or something to give demons/imps etc the wings or zombies etc jetpacks when they are flying?
Dan_The_Noob

Postby Cutmanmike » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:08 am

Dan_The_Noob wrote:Is there a specific tag or something to give demons/imps etc the wings or zombies etc jetpacks when they are flying?

They only appear for vanilla monsters as their offsets, size, colour etc have to be manually specified.
Cutmanmike

Postby Dan_The_Noob » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:25 am

Cutmanmike wrote:
Dan_The_Noob wrote:Is there a specific tag or something to give demons/imps etc the wings or zombies etc jetpacks when they are flying?

They only appear for vanilla monsters as their offsets, size, colour etc have to be manually specified.

ah right, the wings/jetpack help with identifying flyers (other than them flying, of course)
kind of like the blood rage in the 0.83 version being just red enemies

--EDIT--

a bit of feedback from playing on GZDoom in co-op with mods.
give an option to stop the mouse from selecting cards, it causes it to switch unexpectedly sometimes.
add a toggle to stop cards which target 1 specific creature or make all cards affect all of a species maybe? mods with large monster varieties cause single-target cards to become almost redundant (???)
Dan_The_Noob

Postby Cutmanmike » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:42 am

Dan_The_Noob wrote:give an option to stop the mouse from selecting cards, it causes it to switch unexpectedly sometimes.
add a toggle to stop cards which target 1 specific creature or make all cards affect all of a species maybe? mods with large monster varieties cause single-target cards to become almost redundant (???)

If you're not using a controller, try disabling joystick support. I might have to add a cvar to manually turn that off though.

Corruption Cards will try to target species whenever possible, but the monsters in question need the species property adding to them. I will probably add a way to group monsters together manually via CCARDS at some point.
Cutmanmike

Postby MsrSgtShooterPerson » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:27 pm

Hey Mike, thanks for the excellent releases so far! CC has always been pretty much on my mod list for every mod and I end up updating to the new version as soon as I see one!

Just wanted to comment - I checked on the thread and saw that there was some discussion about QCDE compat before and how it has been achieved - unfortunately as of CC 1.0 paired with QCDE 2.7, I don't seem to be generating any monster modifier cards in the deck. However, I can confirm that world cards in general that do things like add random buffs to monsters work just fine. Interesting note: CC 1.0 works just fine with the last release of Death Foretold which (assuming this is relevant since both mods are from the same author and seemingly use the same coding style)

Thanks again!
MsrSgtShooterPerson

Location: Lost in the infinite hells of ObAddon and I'm fine with that.
Discord: MsrSgtShooterPerson
Github ID: GTD-Carthage

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods