[5.5] Corruption Cards - 200+ Gameplay warping cards!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: Corruption Cards - Vanilla Doom, but with twists you cho

Post by NightFright »

The whole thing is ingenious. Spices up even vanilla Doom/Doom2. Simple, but highly entertaining!
DYD
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by DYD »

Good stuff. Gonna 'smoke' this later. :D
ActionAlligator

Post by ActionAlligator »

This is loads of fun considering how simple it is, as another poster said. Great idea dude, and nice execution!
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Glad you guys like it. I do plan on releasing an update to fix some things and balance things out. If anyone has survived a long 20+ map run I'd like to hear feedback on any cards you felt were unfair/impossible. I recently did one of Doom the way id did (using changemap to skip the end intermissions), and found respawning enemies brutally difficult using the default nightmare respawn method (but still had a great time), so I've made my own monster respawner script which is a bit more fair.

I would like to get more ideas for gameplay altering cards, like the corpse explosion one as that completely changes the way you play, if anyone has any :) (I really need to learn zscript as I know it would allow for so many more card ideas, but I'm spending a lot of my time on Zandronum projects that need to get out of the way first)
YasuoProjectX
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YasuoProjectX »

Geez i love your mods :lol: :lol:

It looks like Clash Royale for a bit
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Instead of designing bonuses to be assigned to each specific corruption card, why not make bonus cards a separate pack of cards altogether? Since the cards have a tier system you can make it so that the tier of the corruption card you select determines the tier of bonus card you get and you can either make it so that each corruption card is randomly assigned a bonus card of the same tier or each corruption card will allow you two unknown before you select the corruption choices of bonus card of the same tier. You can even get a little whacky with it like making it so that higher tiers can also give you multiple bonuses of lower tiers at a time and vice versa.
ActionAlligator

Well, I did run into a situation where I had much more aggressive imps that could fire revenant rockets; I found that almost brutally impossible, hah. Same with Arachnotrons getting supershotgun/rockets. I'm not sure where your line for balance is, though, so it's hard to know what to recommend as unfair. Hmmm....maybe instead of giving monsters projectiles that aren't theirs, you could simply include your own custom alterations of the projectiles (like tracking, faster speed, more dmg, multishot, w/e you want) if you were concerned about funny out-of-place things like imps firing rockets from their hand and hell knights firing plasma balls.

The only main thing I ran into that could be construed as a bug is monsters hiding as items; sometimes, they're outside of the map (waiting to be teleported, for example) so are impossible to kill.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Basically yeah, my goal was to keep adding to the difficulty until you either beat the map pack or give up (or just see how long you can go if playing with friends). Adding helpful/positive cards doesn't interest me at the moment, goal was to just ramp up challenge and decision making. That isn't to say I don't want to make it completely imbalanced, but it's hard to say what "balanced" is. Depends on the player, and I'm a glutton for punishment unfortunately. Still, I would like to avoid completely unfun mechanics. I've removed the Rocket projectile from some of the more common/weaker monsters as they tend to bring a swift end to most runs.
ActionAlligator wrote:Hmmm....maybe instead of giving monsters projectiles that aren't theirs, you could simply include your own custom alterations of the projectiles (like tracking, faster speed, more dmg, multishot, w/e you want) if you were concerned about funny out-of-place things like imps firing rockets from their hand and hell knights firing plasma balls.
Possibly. I'd have to change up how I'm hooking into monster attacks. Would allow for more options though for sure.
ActionAlligator wrote:The only main thing I ran into that could be construed as a bug is monsters hiding as items; sometimes, they're outside of the map (waiting to be teleported, for example) so are impossible to kill.
Are there any maps where this breaks? I can add a check for the special maps (such as Dead Simple) to not include these monsters if needed. I have a couple of upcoming cards where I've had to do that already.
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

Well Tribeam and I have an Idea that could work for this actually, from our unreleased mod: Tier 1 cards X% chance to spawn an "elemental monster" for specific enemies like imps only; While Tier 5 could be Chance to spawn an elemental monster for all enemy types? (Screen colour overlay will more than likely be needed to represent the debuff status effect you are under)

Following types : Palette and effects are as follows
Fire: Orange palette: Burns Target for 3 seconds for X amount of damage
Electric: Yellow palette: Ignores Targets armour
Ice: Cyan Palette: Slows target down by 50% for 3 seconds [ Enemy projectile damage reduced by 25%? ]
Acid: Green Palette: Chance to cause a slag effect causing ALL damage types to do Double damage [Think Slag from Borderlands 2] :2 seconds
Metal: Silver Palette: Doubles players gravity, Reduces targets Movement speed by 10%, Monster has 0 Painchance : 5 Seconds
Void: Purple palette: Confuses the players movement [ Powerup speed -1.0 : So movement is reversed ] for 3 seconds

these current effects do work in Zandronum
Heres a sample screen shot (mind you we have some extra ones like Super | Hyper forms but ignore those xD
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Cool. I was already wondering if this could be combined with stuff like Colorful Hell, and this seems to be pretty much it.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

doomfiend wrote:Well Tribeam and I have an Idea that could work for this actually, from our unreleased mod:
These on-hit effects are neat but I don't think they add much in terms of mechanics and card decision making. A lot of them boil down to "you are more punished for getting hit", which I already have (even more upcoming) cards for :wink:. I've considered adjusting the player's speed but it's so vital for survival in Doom that even an on-hit effect for it would be certain death in a lot of situations.
ActionAlligator

Are there any maps where this breaks?
Unfortunately, I've been playing Moonblood and Doom the Way ID Did, so it'd be really hard if not impossible (I'm assuming?) to quash all of the monsters-hiding-as-items-outside-the-map-"bugs." It's ok, though, it's not a huge deal; sometimes it ensures you don't have to deal with some monsters. Actually, now that I think of it, there was one map on Moonblood where a Spider Mastermind was hiding as an item and me bumping it (if I remember correctly) didn't wake it up; I had to shoot it (got a free BFG shot and killed it fast). Afraid I don't have a save or anything to confirm or give you for analysis, sorry =(

Honestly, the only thing that I really, really consider "broken" is weaker monsters that gain both the aggressive card and either the rocket card or the revenant missile card. I was on the easiest game mode and had to quit because of it. My stupid cocky self thought "what the hell, I want to see this in action" and just got obliterated, hah! That was my fault for choosing that card, though, and I learned my lesson; won't combine OP cards with aggressive anymore =) Still very fun, though, and honestly if your mod's niche is to slowly turn us into subs for the dom that is Doom + your mod, I'm down with that ;)
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

I'm okay with monsters not teleporting in as long as it doesn't make the map unbeatable. You could even use those cards tactically if you know there's going to be a bunch of monsters outside of the map. I'll work on making all the maps that require a boss/monster kill to progress beatable. Any map that has scripting or non-vanilla triggers will have problems though, and attempting to cater to every single map type is a rabbit hole I don't think I want to go down.

The monsters hiding as items keeps the monsters physically there until you get almost in pick up range to them, but the Spider Mastermind is very wide so it blocks you. Zandronum doesn't play nice online if you turn physics flags on and off so I left it be. I could try to fix this for the next version.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

arachnotrons (and i'm guessing mancs and other wide hitbox demons) become essentially unkillable if they get disguised as items, because they can't take damage and you can't get close enough for them to undisguise
ActionAlligator

arachnotrons (and i'm guessing mancs and other wide hitbox demons) become essentially unkillable if they get disguised as items, because they can't take damage and you can't get close enough for them to undisguise
Actually, I think shooting them is enough to wake them up as well; not sure if they can be damaged as an item, but I know that I've woken up multiple monsters (including that Spider Mastermind) by blasting them first.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”