[0.9.10b] SWWM GZ: Cute robutt whomst love to explode demons

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [0.9.10b] SWWM GZ: Cute robutt whomst love to explode de

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:30 pm

First off, I have no idea how those three weapons feel samey to you. Each of them has a specific use, and there's no way you'd find yourself using just the Wallbuster when it:
1. Lacks ammo types the Spreadgun can use.
2. Needs to be reloaded, unlike the Eviscerator. On top of that, has to be reloaded in bulk (which leaves huge openings to be attacked), while the Spreadgun is single-shot and easier to manage.
3. The Eviscerator doesn't "pretty much act as a shotgun". It's got rapid, ricocheting, piercing projectiles and a grenade alt.

Each weapon can still be useful, without being entirely negated by another. I don't know exactly what sort of playstyle you have, but if that's not the case for you, then I'm very confused.

It seems you too are also one of the people who request rapid-fire weapons. Both a SMG and HMG are planned for the post-release weapon set. I don't know why it's of UTMOST NECESSITY that any mod would need rapid fire weapons, anyway, especially one where the far higher damage compensates for the slower speed. Also why bring up Unreal? This mod isn't trying to imitate Unreal in any way.

And now for the rest:

1. This would clutter the library more than it already is. Weapon entries encompass both the guns and their ammunition for the sake of simplicity.
2. Item Sense was specifically added to help detect items when there's low visibility. Alternatively a glow shader has been considered, but I need time to figure out how to handle it in a way that's aesthetically pleasing.
3. I'm not going to integrate someone else's code into my mod. Besides, that mod adds extra overhead for all monsters in the map, and I can't have more of that.

Big props received, though.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Discord: 霧雨魔理沙#1666
Twitch ID: MarisaDOOM
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:55 pm

Sorry, I did not mean to come across as aggressive or demanding. As I stated, I do love your mod. :(

I guess I still have to figure out all the subtleties of the arsenal. It is just that I have yet to find much use for the Eviscerator so far, as the Wallbuster seems more than enough to tackle most combat situations I have been encountering so far. I did realise that the Spreadgun has a couple of unique ammo types, but they strike me as a bit redundant: the Golden Shell appears to serve the same function as the Candy Gun and I have yet to find myself in a situation where the Black Shell is more advantageous than throwing a grenade or even dashing into enemies.

I brought up Unreal because I was under the impression that it had a considerable influence on this mod's design. And the reason why I would like to have a non-explosive hitscan and/or rapid-fire weapon is that I feel like none of the weapons fill that niche: you have plenty of explosive and BFG-like weapons, so I thought it would be nice to have a little variety, that is all. Also, it would be nice to have something to snipe those pesky Lost Souls and Pain Elementals from afar; doing so with the Explodium Gun is not exactly ideal!

Finally, maybe you could copy-paste the ammo type description to the Wallbuster's description? Since by default weapons do not drop from enemies, I had to rely on the Wallbuster during my initial playtesting, which means that for the longest time I was not getting the Spreadgun's library entry and as such I was confused as to what the different ammo types were for.

Again, I meant no disrespect. I was merely offering suggestions of what I thought could be improvements.
Last edited by JohnnyTheWolf on Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby Netheritor » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:40 am

I agree with Eviscerator acts like a shotgun. Why not add more alternate fire like flaming nail gun?
Netheritor

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:33 am

Everything is a shotgun.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Postby Dark-Assassin » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:29 pm

Shotgun rockets when?
Dark-Assassin

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:38 am

OK I just... pulled out something I didn't think I'd be able to but... you can sell your stuff at the store now. There's also a whole lot of wrangling going on with how weapon pickups handle loaded ammo and whatnot, and other related things. Overall, I didn't expect to do this until like... the next beta, maybe, but oh well.

I still need to get that one last collectible model made, though, and then do all the animations for the whole lot. That's all that's left before the current 0.9.11b version can get properly released and archived.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Postby Bochulain » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:20 am

Marisa Kirisame wrote: I don't know why it's of UTMOST NECESSITY that any mod would need rapid fire weapons, anyway, especially one where the far higher damage compensates for the slower speed.

In deathmatch scenarios, that's true, but in crowd combat or urban-warfare style maps, explosives are liabilities. SOOO many Doom maps involve "whoops-I'm-behind-you-now" teleport traps and "it's-clearly-a-trap-but-you-can't-avoid-it-HAHA-GOTCHA!" monster closets that you're almost always going to be in melee range of your targets at one point or another. It's why I tend to walk around with the Wallbuster fully loaded with standard shells to be safe; it's relatively fast, and doesn't have the backlash of literally everything else in your arsenal.

That said, most maps and weapon sets seem to run with the assumption that taking a few bullets is inevitable since you can just heal, and I'm hard-coded to avoid taking fire. As much as I love Doom, I realize I'm not the target demographic for the mods. Don't change a thing for *me,* but if you agree with the assessment, rock on.

Ironically, I use the spread gun as my slug-sniper weapon (have to keep buying the ammo though), the Wallbuster as my exploration-self-defense-shells/Lead-Ball-boss-killer, and the Evicerator as my minimal-backlash-close-range-rocket-launcher/long range crowd control weapon (the flak effect for the launcher, still annoys me that ricochets inevitably hit me). You might be able to fill each gun's role with one of the others, but based on ammo availability, I feel like that's a good way to differentiate them. I avoid the explosives for the most part, not because they kill me or anything, but because it *annoys* me to take damage. It's kinda why I was glad you added the option for the stricter "Untouchable" bonus. I like the validation that I haven't been sloppy, and my targets die before they can fire back.
Bochulain

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:30 pm

I tortured myself for 8 hours to implement a minimap. This is mainly a restoration of something SWWM Z had (the radar) but obviously now I can draw map geometry as I had wanted back then (an impossibility in UE1).

Anyway, after I do some small cleanup, I'll definitely get to work on the collectible animations and push 0.9.11b out already.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Postby KynikossDragonn » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:03 pm

Marisa Kirisame wrote:This is mainly a restoration of something SWWM Z had (the radar) but obviously now I can draw map geometry as I had wanted back then (an impossibility in UE1).

But sweetie, it's not a impossibility in UE1, it just takes native code, you'd end up turning SWWM into a native mod though. (Which isn't a huge deal because apparently native mods in UT99 are based on 432 headers...?)

Also that minimap really reminds of Amulets & Armour's magic map spell.
KynikossDragonn
『霧雨魔理沙のペットドラゴン』

Twitch ID: kynikossdragonn
Github ID: KynikossDragonn
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:01 am

Ur a silly cutie that's what you are.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:04 pm

A certain powerup from SWWM Platinum has made its return, unexpectedly. Introducing the Mykradvo Artifact (formerly known as "The Anomaly"):

It may be a bit spicy to the touch, so handle with care. This thing can easily save your ass if you prime it when you're surrounded.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Postby Captain J » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:46 am

Looks like a galaxy's smallest supernova! And feels would act like it too. I haven't heard about the another version, SWWM Platinum, but what does it do? Do you have to pick it up or just shoot at it and watch the firework?
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:37 am

Originally, you touched it and all enemies in view would explode.

Still works kinda similarly (although delayed) but you have to manually activate it, otherwise it wouldn't be as useful.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Postby Tworedshirt » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:40 am

I don't know if this is the right place to talk about this but for some reasons the latest version of SWWM GZ and or the latest gzdoom build has rendered the cute robutt unusually quiet, I have the muting option set to none and the character no longer spurt out even one of his usually delightful one liners. is there something I'm doing wrong?
Tworedshirt

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:10 am

I can't reproduce this. What is the swwm_voicetype cvar set to?
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods