[0.9.10b] SWWM GZ: Cute robutt whomst love to explode demons

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [0.9.10b] SWWM GZ: Cute robutt whomst love to explode de

Postby Linz » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:42 pm

Blown kisses can activate use switches

So this makes like three ways Demo-chan can activate switches aside from the usual?

Demo-chan switch activating abilities op,plz nerf
Linz

Postby Spaceman333 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:38 am

I tried this mod yesterday and the first impression was awesome, but I ran into some serious performance issues after some 10 minutes of play.

At first, everything seemed to work smooth and fast. I was blasting demons and having a lot of fun exploring the mod. Nothing seemed amiss.

Then I turned on chase cam briefly to see the player model, since the 3d model guns got me curious if the player was 3d too. However as soon as I did that, it took a good 1-2 minutes of game freeze / lag before the game was running smoothly again and I could see the player model again.

After that, I started noticing 3-7 second game freeze / lag delays when I was switching weapons. Prior to this, there was no delay but suddenly now it did.

Upon getting close to completing the first level of an oblige mapset - which had about 100 monsters in total - the game started lagging. Seriously lagging.
There was one last zombie on the level, I switched to the pink pistol to shoot it down, but as soon as I pulled the trigger I had a 3 minute game freeze before it fired. After that, I switched to the yellow pistol to finally kill it, but there too was lag during switching and during firing.

After everyone was dead, I was getting concerned if the performance issue lag was not just a temporary hiccup, but something more serious. Before hitting the exit switch on the level, I went around to collect items and guns I missed. Then I remember the mod had some sort of ingame menu thing, so I pressed that hotkey to open it. However now the lag was completely freezing the game. Esc was not responding, alt-f4 didn't work, ctrl-shift-esc didn't respond.

Finally ctrl-alt-del got me to the task manager - very slowly - and there I saw that the gzdoom was eating 6.4gb of ram at the time - all of it. I was getting seriously concerned there could be damage to the computer if this keeps up, so I shut it all down. Now I'm deeply concerned in trying to play the mod again. No other mod has ever had this kind of performance issue ever show up, no matter how big of a map and how much other lag I managed to accumulate otherwise.

Since the mod is using 3d models, I think its probably something to do with them or some other unique code that is causing it.
Spaceman333

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:56 am

These are expected issues of 4.4.2 (memory leaks, slow UE1 model loading). Devbuilds are recommended for now until the next version comes. (LZDoom 3.87 can be used too, though it has some issues with menu text cutting off)
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Discord: 霧雨魔理沙#1666
Twitch ID: magusmarisa
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Spaceman333 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:03 pm

Marisa Kirisame wrote:These are expected issues of 4.4.2 (memory leaks, slow UE1 model loading). Devbuilds are recommended for now until the next version comes. (LZDoom 3.87 can be used too, though it has some issues with menu text cutting off)

Ok, I guess that means the mod uses some sort of cutting edge experimental features that still have some rough edges to fix / stabilize. Didn't think it was an issue with GZDoom itself, my bad.
Spaceman333

Postby AstartesCitizen » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:51 pm

FINALLY thanks to the most recent LZDOOM I can play this gem. Its great, the weapons alone got me in an instant but the menu interface with the loads and loads of lore, got me hooked as well the notes and the end of the weapons and items entries made me chuckle, the guns are in my opinion in the range of firepower of Russian Overkill guns but no in the extreme and utter craziness of RO but the feeling of wielding ludicrous weapons never gets old.
Had to disable many features in order to play as smooth as possible, such as damage numbers, casings, debris, etc yet it lags quite often but mostly because of my potato, nevertheless I enjoyed a lot this gem. I know that this was build with GZDOOM in mind, but in future updates more options for making it more LZDOOM compatible, now that the latest version CAN run this mod, could be possible? I really liked the mod but the lagging because of some effects disrupt the flow of my game, but again that didnt stopped me for having a blast, this is your best work so far Marisa! Looking foward for more! Cheers!
AstartesCitizen
"The Emperor Protects"

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 32-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:11 pm

Starting from 0.9.11b the mod will have to be distributed in PK7. As it turns out, there are so many files now that the PK3 format is incapable of holding it all in, so the mod simply fails to load.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Postby Linz » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:26 pm

What's the difference between pk3 and pk7?
Linz

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:28 pm

One of them is a zip, the other is a 7z. The format is far more modern and better suited for... modern numbers. There's parts of the zip format that are still 16-bit.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:49 am

Just want to warn everyone in advance that the 0.9.11b release will target GZDoom 4.5 once it comes out. This can already be noted by the fact the latest pk7 no longer works with 4.4.2 and requires devbuilds instead.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Postby user5124 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:05 pm

Hi - does this mod have any perk/levelling/rpg system in it? Or is the power curve flat after acquiring all the guns and ammo?
user5124

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:06 am

There's no such thing, that'd add too much extra complexity.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods