Nobody Told Me About id v0.4.9 - A Build Engine-styled mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.1.6 - Build Engine-styled mod

Postby Sgt. Ham » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:57 pm

After some brainstorming, I came up with a (kinda) complete list of possible weapon alt-fires. This is just purely for your consideration if you have anything else in mind.

Fist: A kick. More endlag but it pushes enemies back further than with the fist.

Chainsaw: Swings the Chainsaw like in Project Brutality. Unlike PB, you swing it like Lo Wang's sword from Shadow Warrior. I feel like this attack should do the chainsaw death of the zombies; primary can just straight up gib them though.

Pistol: Reload is fine as it is for its alt-fire.

Shotgun/Supershotgun:
Spoiler:

Chaingun: What I said before about first revving up and then immediately firing at a faster rate than primary--Similar to Duke 3D's Ripper Chaingun.

Rocket Launcher: Plays a charge up animation and then firing them as a MIRV grenade. When it hits an enemy, it will explode and keep bouncing. When it stops bouncing, all unexploded rockets will be launched out in random directions as grenades. Somewhat based off of the Napalm Launcher's alt-fire from Blood.

Plasma Rifle: Plays another charge up animation and then firing a shot similar to Shadow Warrior's Railgun.

BFG-9000: A 5 second countdown will play until using 200 Cell Ammo to fire a BFG Nuke shot. All splash damage, no weird hitscan tracers. And since the BFG in vanilla has no self-damage, you can be in its epicenter and not take any damage unlike Shadow Warrior's nuke!

Keep up the mod work! It's coming together really nice!
Sgt. Ham

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Gamerwarrior117 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:12 pm

nevermind i stick with gzdoom, works better.

is there ico file for this wad?
Gamerwarrior117

Postby Matt » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:59 am

This works surprisingly well with Freedoom's music and sounds and theme.

Except... most of the arachnotrons in Freedoom Map07 are stuck in the geometry. Are these guys' hitboxes a lot bigger?

I'm really not a fan of the new chaingun wind-up time. It means there's no more fast-firing, low-DPS trash monster weapon to deal with individual zombies that catch you around a corner. (Freedoom does this with basic zombiemen a lot more than Doom does) I'm taking a lot of hits either just waiting for the chaingun to rev up, or trying to line up multiple guys with the shotguns, or spending extra time dancing around revving up the chaingun. If the pistol could fire just a little bit faster (maybe reload slower to make up for it if need be, though personally I think an unmitigated improvement is fine too) that could help a lot - it would also make things more consistent with those bursts the zombies fire.

Though the chaingun itself could stand to have a much higher ROF just to make the windup feel more convincing...

The gib taunt is perfect.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Captain J » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:21 am

Actually, you can deactivate the chaingun windup option by turning it into Classic. Although wind down animation still exists and you can't do a thing while it's playing.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Mirthy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:12 am

ive been playing this a lot recently since i love the build games (especially blood) and im having a blast. though one thing i have noticed is that the ai seems way more reactive, and while that does work for hitscanners as build engine hitscanners are known for being troublesome, especially in games like blood. however, it seems a little bit unbalanced due to blood having a way to dodge hitscan attacks through crouching while this mod packs it in with everything else vanilla. this reactiveness also affects certain enemies like the lost soul pretty badly and makes them even more annoying that usual. there are 2 ways you can fix this imo either:

a) add a similar feature to blood where hitscanners have less of a chance to hit you or

b) reduce the reactiveness of the enemies

one thing i also think would be a cool addition is like a kick move from duke 3d to help against lost souls. so far youve done a great job and i look forward to seeing what this project does next
Mirthy

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby CantSleep » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:50 am

Craneo wrote:another bug I've just experienced is in the mapset Honte Remastered, some monsters seem to get stuck, do the monsters have the same height and radius as the original Doom ones?

Radius and heights are untouched. The issue is mainly in the map itself, since it most possibly has enemies placed into the walls, assuming they have a large amount value of Speed to move out of them. You can encounter this in E1M1 too. I've tried adding +FIXMAPTHINGPOS to make this issue less frequent.

Takuat wrote:Just to add to the recommended MapSets, RoastBeefo is also working on an NTMAi/Build-inspired Doom 2 remake
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=67485

Added. RoastBeefo's efforts shall not go unnoticed!

Sgt. Ham wrote:Alt-fire ideas

Most of these are good ideas. Noted.

Gamerwarrior117 wrote:nevermind i stick with gzdoom, works better.

is there ico file for this wad?

None. It's not really possible to assign a file icon to things that aren't an executable (Exectuables are EXE, BAT, shortcuts...)

Matt wrote:most of the arachnotrons in Freedoom Map07 are stuck in the geometry. Are these guys' hitboxes a lot bigger?

Read my first reply of this post, you'll get the idea off this problem.

I'm really not a fan of the new chaingun wind-up time. It means there's no more fast-firing, low-DPS trash monster weapon to deal with individual zombies that catch you around a corner. (Freedoom does this with basic zombiemen a lot more than Doom does) I'm taking a lot of hits either just waiting for the chaingun to rev up, or trying to line up multiple guys with the shotguns, or spending extra time dancing around revving up the chaingun. If the pistol could fire just a little bit faster (maybe reload slower to make up for it if need be, though personally I think an unmitigated improvement is fine too) that could help a lot - it would also make things more consistent with those bursts the zombies fire.

Don't worry; next update will completely get rid of the wind-up. Like Captain J said you can turn it off through NTMAI Options. I'll try to add a quick refiring state as well when the chaingun winds down.

The gib taunt is perfect.

Glad you liked it, I added it in as a last minute feature. :lol:

Mirthy wrote:ive been playing this a lot recently since i love the build games (especially blood) and im having a blast. though one thing i have noticed is that the ai seems way more reactive, and while that does work for hitscanners as build engine hitscanners are known for being troublesome, especially in games like blood. however, it seems a little bit unbalanced due to blood having a way to dodge hitscan attacks through crouching while this mod packs it in with everything else vanilla. this reactiveness also affects certain enemies like the lost soul pretty badly and makes them even more annoying that usual. there are 2 ways you can fix this imo either:

a) add a similar feature to blood where hitscanners have less of a chance to hit you or

b) reduce the reactiveness of the enemies

one thing i also think would be a cool addition is like a kick move from duke 3d to help against lost souls. so far youve done a great job and i look forward to seeing what this project does next

Remember to turn off "Pissed zombies" from NTMAI Options for a slightly smaller attack chance. The main reason behind the high attack rate is because of how often A_Chase gets called during walking animations. This and the rest of the issues are noted.

It seems there are alot of mighty foot suggestions, huh? I'll consider it. Next update will mostly have optimizations, balance changes and maybe toggleable voxels. Stay tuned for next weekend!
CantSleep