Nobody Told Me About id v0.4.9 - A Build Engine-styled mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.1.5 - Build Engine-styled mod

Postby CantSleep » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:19 pm

VERSION 0.1.5 released
  • Added a new intro
  • Added taunting after gibbing monsters (cl_ntm_taunt)
  • Added falling scream
  • Added portable medkits, can replace Soulspheres or Soulspheres outside secret areas (sv_ntm_soulsphere)
  • Added toggleable inventory items by Ac!d
  • Added fullscreen status bar by Ac!d
  • Changed HUD border textures
  • Changed berserk pack sprite
  • Jumping/leaping monsters now drop off ledges to prevent them from being stuck

EDIT: Here's a new video to showcase some of the new stuff:
CantSleep
Powered by insomnia

Postby RoastBeefo » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:15 pm

Any chance you'd be willing to put together a pack with just the modified monster behaviors? I really enjoy how dynamic they feel and would love to try them out with various weapon mods.
RoastBeefo

Postby Artman2004 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:27 pm

Suggestions:
Headshots
Enemies choking before they die, like the troopers in DN3D
Artman2004

Postby Smashhacker » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:32 pm

I noticed the berserk pack always stops at 2 after it finishes its timer, and whenever I use it again at 2 I regain full health without consequence.
Smashhacker

Postby Craneo » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:04 pm

I'm experiencing a bug with LZDoom, if I blow up a Cacodemon's body the game crashes, I don't know if anyone has experienced this before or if it's any file I'm loading aside from this mod causing it...
Craneo

Discord: Craneo#8693
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.1.6 - Build Engine-styled mod

Postby CantSleep » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:17 am

RoastBeefo wrote:Any chance you'd be willing to put together a pack with just the modified monster behaviors? I really enjoy how dynamic they feel and would love to try them out with various weapon mods.

Sure, it shouldn't be too hard to make. Noted.

Artman2004 wrote:Enemies choking before they die, like the troopers in DN3D

Already noted.

Smashhacker wrote:I noticed the berserk pack always stops at 2 after it finishes its timer, and whenever I use it again at 2 I regain full health without consequence.

Fixed, there was an oversight.

Craneo wrote:I'm experiencing a bug with LZDoom, if I blow up a Cacodemon's body the game crashes, I don't know if anyone has experienced this before or if it's any file I'm loading aside from this mod causing it...

Fixed, apparently I forgot to leave out the part of the code that tries to change the gib sprite's translation to the Cacodemon's blood color.

VERSION 0.1.6 released
  • Fixed Berserk Pack effect stopping at 2%
  • Fixed a hard crash from gibbing a dead Cacodemon
CantSleep
Powered by insomnia

Postby Ac!d » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:55 am

I have some ideas for the weapon altfires like the super shotgun, the rocket launcher and the plasma rifle. Sadly, I've seen that CantSleep removed the ironfeet powerup for the radsuit, which is useful in case of underwater sections (like the diving suit in Blood).

For the berserk, I should add the high jump powerup (high jump boots in Blood).

I'm also working for a special powerup (optional) for the weapons. I will not tell more about that, but maybe you have some ideas if you've played Blood and Guncaster.

:)
Ac!d
Perfection is a way, not an end. - Korean Proverb

Discord: Acid_Citric#2732

Postby Enjay » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:06 am

Another Build-ish thing that might be cool to add is camera tilting when the player dies. TiltPlus does this if you want a reference.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Captain J » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:22 am

Impressive. Most impressive! Definitely feels like i'm playing Duke 3D on Doom. I actually saw such adaptations before, but this is the real deal, a piece of work! Weapons feel overall smooth and all, and the enemies are... Quite different than usual. Their sprites are high quality, and much more aggressive.
Spoiler: And here are some of my feedback.
Oh, and lastly, i would like to see more of Duke 3D homages. Like the mighty foot, doomguy laughing after gibbing the enemy, squashed gibs stretching to a crusher... If possible, of course!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Ac!d » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:30 am

@Captain J

It was intentional to refill your full health with the berserk pack. I wanted to make a fusion with the berserk of Doom and the steroïds of DukeNukem3D.
But about this bug, I have no idea, it's maybe a bug made by accident by CantSleep.

Ac!d
Perfection is a way, not an end. - Korean Proverb

Discord: Acid_Citric#2732

Postby CantSleep » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:18 pm

Ac!d wrote:I have some ideas for the weapon altfires like the super shotgun, the rocket launcher and the plasma rifle. Sadly, I've seen that CantSleep removed the ironfeet powerup for the radsuit, which is useful in case of underwater sections (like the diving suit in Blood).

For the berserk, I should add the high jump powerup (high jump boots in Blood).

I'm also working for a special powerup (optional) for the weapons. I will not tell more about that, but maybe you have some ideas if you've played Blood and Guncaster.

Oh cool, I wouldn't mind with trying some new ideas. Also, what did I remove? RadSuit already has an Iron Feet powerup, I only combined the two separate powerups to one to save space.

Enjay wrote:Another Build-ish thing that might be cool to add is camera tilting when the player dies. TiltPlus does this if you want a reference.

How lame of me to leave that out :) Noted.

Captain J wrote:Feedback

I appreciate the feedback. Anyways I'll answer your thoughts:

- Pistol's secondary fire alerts the enemies, despite nothing else happens if the mag is full.

I am not too sure how to fix this problem. I've already noted this though.

- Pump action Shotgun's reloading animation doesn't feel like doomguy is actually pumping the gun. Even the forend never moves at all.

I would go ahead and edit it to be less stiff, but I'm not very good at butchering large sprites. It'll end up as a mess.

- Both Shotgun and Super Shotgun look crusty than usual. Have you seen the latest version of two weapons made by DenisBelmondo? I would like to recommend such beauties.

They are a beauty indeed :) I will update the sprites next update.

- The Rocket Launcher looks drastically different than usual. Although it's absolutely old, i recommend this sprite regardless. It's from old version of Alandoguns.wad!

It just doesn't look right.. I'd rather stick with the current rocket launcher for now.

- Zombiemen are now a bit more challenging. And are they actually fire in 3 burst? Just like Assault Trooper of Duke3D, projectile based bullets would be kinda fair.

Noted. For the time being you can turn off "Pissed zombies" from NTMAI Options for zombiemen to have a slightly smaller attack chance.

- Shotgun Guys are... For some reason, darker version of Zombieman. I guess the creator of the sprites couldn't make it?

This is a nod to Build games that have recolored enemies with the same shtick except with different attacks.

- Another minor nitpick. Imps' attacks are separated like Revenant's. For example, if you get closer and fall back before they attack, they would do the melee attack instead of throwing fireball.

Noted.

- Despite the enemies are now in HD, other sprites like weapon pickups and items are not. Oh, also the crushed corpse sprite as well.

While this is just an inconsistency with the mod, even Blood and Shadow Warrior had the same thing. You would see high resolution effects and enemies, but things like objects and other stuff that don't catch an eye have crusty graphics.

- I would like to see the big enemies leave big gib sprites when get gibbed. Small average cherry-pie-red gib sprites doesn't look so nice for Barons and Cacos.

I could recycled the crushed gib sprites for this occasion. The only problem is that I need to transfer the blood color to the gib sprite, which I can't figure out how to do it. Last time I tried doing that I hard crashed someone's LZDoom :(

- Speaking of Baron, Hell Knights would play Baron sound effect instead of their own. Intentional? Because it makes me confusing and they're actually different species.

Intentional, you get the idea after the last few answers :)

- Chaingun with Classic Style mode is much better than faster as the vanilla counterpart. However i can't continue firing after winding off the barrel for some reason. So it's a bit faster.

Noted.

- Is it me? Or Archviles move kinda slower than usual?

I'm aware of this issue. I'll make a speed buff next update.

- Since you added the HD version of doomguy sprite. i would like to inform you that the crouching animation of him does not exist. So He becomes a midget when crouched.

Also aware of this one, although I seem to have forgotten about it in this current version. Should be easy to fix.

- I'm not saying that the mod should be even more difficult, but pinky's reaping attack does not hurt you. I found it strange because it looks quite destructive, which is not.

It's more of a cheeky attack. You won't be too happy when you end up blowing yourself up from a charging Demon :D

- Arachnotrons' Plasma projectile is colored blue, just like the Player's. Why not Green? It can be confusing if you have Plasma Rifle.

Personal preference. I didn't like the inconsistencies of the original Doom :)

- Portable Medkit plays average item pickup sound effect. Why not make it play doomguy's sighing or different sound effect?

I couldn't find a fitting sound effect for that.

- Berserk Pack stops at 1 percent and you can refill your whole health with it. Intentional?

I thought I fixed that already back when it stopped at 2% :| Noted.

Oh, and lastly, i would like to see more of Duke 3D homages. Like the mighty foot, doomguy laughing after gibbing the enemy, squashed gibs stretching to a crusher... If possible, of course!

The mod already has those.. except for the mighty foot :wink:
CantSleep