Nobody Told Me About id v0.4.9 - A Build Engine-styled mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.2.4 - Build Engine-styled mod

Postby Takuat » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:23 am

CantSleep wrote:
QuakedoomNukem Cz wrote:The SSG may or may not become a sawed-off, but Hellfire is not certain about it.

To clarify: the Sawed-Off will be featured in an alternative loadout for Doomguy that has more fitting weapons for the Build Engine style.

Will the alternate loadouts have different atats or are they purely visual?
Takuat

Postby CantSleep » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:37 pm

Takuat wrote:
CantSleep wrote:
QuakedoomNukem Cz wrote:The SSG may or may not become a sawed-off, but Hellfire is not certain about it.

To clarify: the Sawed-Off will be featured in an alternative loadout for Doomguy that has more fitting weapons for the Build Engine style.

Will the alternate loadouts have different atats or are they purely visual?

Of course they will have different stats. For example the alt loadout has a Semi Rifle instead of the pistol, and it's more damaging and accurate but slower. A Super SMG will take the Chaingun's slot and is much faster, but reloads after 30 shots.
CantSleep
Powered by insomnia

Postby Darman Macray » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:21 pm

Any plans for implementing Quake III's unused Doomguy voice for the authentic Build experience?

Darman Macray

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 32-bit

Postby jdredalert » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:33 pm

Darman Macray wrote:Any plans for implementing Quake III's unused Doomguy voice for the authentic Build experience?

Check three pages back.
jdredalert
Doom, until the end.

Postby Darman Macray » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:09 pm

jdredalert wrote:
Darman Macray wrote:Any plans for implementing Quake III's unused Doomguy voice for the authentic Build experience?

Check three pages back.

Aw! Very good--such a discussion has already been had :D
Darman Macray

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 32-bit

Postby TheEternalStruggler » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:28 pm

Do you know what would be neat?

More varied death animations, unique chainsaw deaths for all the demons (including the Pinky! My favorite demon to chainsaw!) and a lot more unique gore (ala Beautiful Doom).

It could be randomized as well, like arms and legs flying off with different death animations, as well as decapitation deaths occurring randomly. Ofc you could also do a hitbox-based system so that a headshot results in decapitation, arms result in arm death, leg results in leg death etc.etc.etc.

It'd be different from Brutal Doom, because it wouldn't hinder the flow of Doom, and it'd have a unique Build feel to the individual gibs and it'd just be really charming. Like Blood in Doom kind of.

Sorry if I can't really express it well, but that's just an idea I have. I imagine it'd take a considerable amount of manpower and hours to code in unique gore for all the demons, as well as unique death animations that are randomized and varied (ala RDND but gorier), and unique chainsaw deaths for all the demons (with at least 2 or 3 chainsaw death sequences).

It'd go a long way in making the weapons feel satisfying! Oh, and this is another suggestion but perhaps bloodstained weapons if you kill an enemy up-close. Like the chainsaw, pistol, fist, or any weapon getting stained with red blood, blue blood, and green blood.

It'd be pretty neat I think! :D
TheEternalStruggler

Discord: #5236

Postby CantSleep » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:43 am

TheEternalStruggler wrote:Do you know what would be neat?

More varied death animations, unique chainsaw deaths for all the demons (including the Pinky! My favorite demon to chainsaw!) and a lot more unique gore (ala Beautiful Doom).

It could be randomized as well, like arms and legs flying off with different death animations, as well as decapitation deaths occurring randomly. Ofc you could also do a hitbox-based system so that a headshot results in decapitation, arms result in arm death, leg results in leg death etc.etc.etc.

It'd be different from Brutal Doom, because it wouldn't hinder the flow of Doom, and it'd have a unique Build feel to the individual gibs and it'd just be really charming. Like Blood in Doom kind of.

Sorry if I can't really express it well, but that's just an idea I have. I imagine it'd take a considerable amount of manpower and hours to code in unique gore for all the demons, as well as unique death animations that are randomized and varied (ala RDND but gorier), and unique chainsaw deaths for all the demons (with at least 2 or 3 chainsaw death sequences).

It'd go a long way in making the weapons feel satisfying! Oh, and this is another suggestion but perhaps bloodstained weapons if you kill an enemy up-close. Like the chainsaw, pistol, fist, or any weapon getting stained with red blood, blue blood, and green blood.

It'd be pretty neat I think! :D

Erm... didn't you literally post the same idea 3 times in a row on this thread? I can already see that in your forum posts list.

There is already a unique death animation for a couple of enemies. Adding even more varied deaths and separate hitboxes would slowly hinder the Build-styled charm of this mod away, because Build Engine games did not have that kinda BS at the time... even 2 or 3 chainsaw deaths are a ridiculous amount for this mod. Remember, NTMAi tries to emulate the "improvision of memory from 90s (yeah, games were a bit more lightweight than nowadays, duh)" as well, you can notice this by seeing randomly flipped dead monster sprites. Just play Brutal Doom if you want more gore & variable death animations.

I am planning to add blood stains ONLY on the chainsaw since it takes less file space and makes more sense, so hold on until 0.2.5 or 0.3 is released.
CantSleep