Nobody Told Me About id v0.4.9 - A Build Engine-styled mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.2.3 - Build Engine-styled mod

Postby Zero X. Diamond » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:49 am

I don't even know what this mod is but I was randomly linked this in a DM on Discord and told the community "wants your voice acting magic again." I see mention of the BD lines above so I'm assuming somebody wants those? Enough people have bugged me about it over the years that I've just decided to release the audio to everyone, so if this project wants to use it feel free to grab the original, non-butchered audio from this thread.
Zero X. Diamond
Now get your ass out there and save the world!

Postby CantSleep » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:03 pm

Zero, no idea who told you that. I have no plans of putting voice lines in this mod, at least for now. Maybe someone else is interested in taking this feature on. Anyways, I appreciate the supplies.

Whoah wrote:I found an issue with the environmental protection suit: When activating while standing on a damaging floor, the floor keeps damaging you even while it's activated. This doesn't wear off when stepping off of the floor then back on

Appreciate the bug report. Will search into it on weekend.

A little thing I'm just thinking out loud about here is the monster AI. The smooth chasing code is from Hideous Destructor. While it works, there is no interpolation, which makes it look choppy above 35 FPS. Adding interpolation to it makes it prone to getting stuck in a corner until it stops chasing, and while replacing SetOrigin with SetXYZ makes it smoother and has a tinier risk of stucking, it could cause issues involving 3d floors and portal effects. I also attempted to get rid of the zig-zag chasing pattern and coded the enemies to chase the player in a straight line while turning smoothly, just like in Blood. But most of the time that ended up getting the enemies stuck on a wall until they lost their target.
CantSleep
Powered by insomnia

Postby Matt » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:20 pm

replacing SetOrigin with SetXYZ
Do not! SetXYZ changes the actor's deemed location but does not update the blockmap accordingly, leading to lots of unwanted behaviour.

The lack of interpolation sounds like a bug. I'm going to ask folks on the HD Discord if they notice the monsters don't ever appear to move above 35fps because I do not trust myself (or my hardware) to be able to track fast enough to tell the difference.

From your description it seems like a few things might've fallen off in moving the code from HD to NTMAI - I'll take a look.

I also attempted to get rid of the zig-zag chasing pattern and coded the enemies to chase the player in a straight line while turning smoothly, just like in Blood. But most of the time that ended up getting the enemies stuck on a wall until they lost their target.
How do Duke/Blood monsters handle obstacles?
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby CantSleep » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:56 pm

Matt wrote:The lack of interpolation sounds like a bug. I'm going to ask folks on the HD Discord if they notice the monsters don't ever appear to move above 35fps because I do not trust myself (or my hardware) to be able to track fast enough to tell the difference.

From your description it seems like a few things might've fallen off in moving the code from HD to NTMAI - I'll take a look.

It could be related to SetOrigin, because it has a "interpolate" parameter, but I'm not too sure. In the current release, the chasing code is now in the base monster class instead of a static class such as HDMobAI from HDest. I had alsp changed the interpolate parameter to true on SetOrigin, whereas in the original code it was false. It works as a temporary fix but also has the side-effects I talked about in my previous post.

How do Duke/Blood monsters handle obstacles?

Kinda hard to answer, actually. From what I've seen & played Duke has similar monster movement to Doom. Blood monsters if I recall correctly are able to bounce off walls (saw this in a Blood LP where a gargoyle was constantly ramming up a wall so it must be true lol), but sometimes they end up either hugging or getting stuck on a wall.

Besides the issues, the chase code is pretty damn handy and despite the little quirks it can cause, I am still grateful for it.

EDIT: I think the choppy movement only happens on my end. Someone turned off the interpolation on SetOrigin and apparently, aside from choppy shadows, it still moves smoothly as intended on their computer. I'll turn that off for the next release and see how it plays out.
CantSleep