Nobody Told Me About id v0.4.9 - A Build Engine-styled mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.2.3 - Build Engine-styled mod

Postby Whoah » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:22 pm

Too edgy for me. It fits late nineties Quake 3 Doomguy, but not DOOM Doomguy. Either way, we can see why this was cut
Whoah
Confusion is my natural state

Postby Artman2004 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:29 pm

Why not use Brutal Doom/Project Brutality's Doomguy voice?
Artman2004

Postby wildweasel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:37 pm

Artman2004 wrote:Why not use Brutal Doom/Project Brutality's Doomguy voice?

I mean, if we're going to use a community member's voice, we might as well ask the guy that originally recorded them (Zero X Diamond) and see if we can get new material, and/or the original recordings that haven't been "tweaked" to horrible levels.
wildweasel
from a different perspective.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby namsan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:39 pm

I like current "HEHEEH" taunt voice, but yeah I would like to see more variations.
namsan
piss piss piss piss piss piss piss

Discord: Namsan#8146

Postby Wivicer » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:48 am

I personally think the cut voice lines are pretty good in terms of writing. They should be re-recorded with a louder, kind of crazed voice instead of the whispery edgelord vibe they have now.
Wivicer

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Jarewill » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:13 am

It's so terrible, that I kinda love it.

"Join the marines, see the universe. Phhh, you are just jealous because the voices only talk to me."
I'll probably learn them by heart and start quoting them randomly alongside the quotes from the comic.
Don't ask, I'm just that weird.
Jarewill

Postby jdredalert » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:05 am

I liked some of the lines, like "All roads lead to hell" and "Try aiming next time", those would fit in a Build-game protagonist.
jdredalert
Doom, until the end.

Postby Whoah » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:55 am

Some of the lines are alright. But if this mod is gonna feature a full set of one-liners, then I agree with wildweasel
Whoah

Postby silentzora » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:54 pm

Jarewill wrote:It's so terrible, that I kinda love it.

"Join the marines, see the universe. Phhh, you are just jealous because the voices only talk to me."
I'll probably learn them by heart and start quoting them randomly alongside the quotes from the comic.
Don't ask, I'm just that weird.

Mic quality is garbage, but I'd be willing to help out with some voice work, if that ends up being a feature. I like my Doomguy with a little snark.

Sample 1
Sample 2
silentzora
Dead from the neck up. Also dead from the neck down.

Discord: silentzorah#1233

Postby Hellstorm Archon » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:01 pm

jdredalert wrote:I liked some of the lines, like "All roads lead to hell" and "Try aiming next time", those would fit in a Build-game protagonist.

Yeah, I definitely feel that lines like those would definitely be up there “rest in pieces” and “I’ll rip your head off and shit down your neck”.
The lines feel very Build-like, and for some weird reason, “kiss my ammo belt” makes me crack up.

Whoah wrote:Some of the lines are alright. But if this mod is gonna feature a full set of one-liners, then I agree with wildweasel

Eh, not necessarily all of the lines should be considered. There are lines even I think are too cringey like “that ain’t no BFG” or “the rain of destruction, it never stops”. But for the most part, they do feel fitting for something that might exist in the Build engine.

I mean, the Zero X. Diamond lines are way too… unrestrained for something like this, and I feel it’s time for a reprieve from CHUGGACHUGGACHUGGACHUGGA HERE COMES THE NIGHT TRAAAAAAAAIN

Don’t get me wrong, the lines themselves aren’t exactly anything to sneeze at, but they were written and recorded around the late 90s, about the same times the Top 3 of Build games were made.

Honestly, it’s really up to NoSleep and if he wants to consider those lines, let alone consider which lines to use for like gibbing enemies, entering maps, etc.

And yeah, re-recording those lines are a good option as well.

(For some reason, I’ve always imagined Doomguy’s voice and mannerisms to be similar to Karl Urban’s take on Judge Dredd (a terse baritone growler with a hint of snark).)

EDIT: On a slightly related note, I’ve actually been thinking to see about re-recording Doomguy’s voice for Project Brutality to further distance it from that one Brewtal mod (apparently there’s bad blood between the creators even to this day but that’s a whole another topic I have no desire getting into). Not only that, I feel that portraying Doomguy as a cool and collected killer akin to John Wick would provide a nice contrast to “comic book Doomguy” that we’ve been seeing often (AKA the RIP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS OUT guy).
Last edited by Hellstorm Archon on Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellstorm Archon
Will debase self for street cred.

Discord: Man of Doom#4046

Postby Whoah » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:17 pm

I would all in all prefer to see new lines voice-acted by a community member or something like that. Regardless, I'm excited to where this whole thing goes
Whoah

Postby CantSleep » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:21 am

I wouldn't mind adding some voice lines for Doom Guy, but I'd rather have it disabled by default because it may or may not cause a lot of controversy due to a silent protagonist getting a voice.

Right now the voice lines from Quake III Revolution just doesn't fit for this Doom Guy. "Canonically" speaking they come from a post-insane version of Doom Guy who has already went through the events of Doom. Also it sounds more like Caleb.

For now I've left a little dev build for you all to check out. You can download it through Dropbox. There are mainly balance fixes and the difficulty options have been replaced with the ones provided by mrtaterz. Let me know what you think!
CantSleep