Nobody Told Me About id - We've Moved!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.1.6 - Build Engine-styled mod

Post by Redneckerz »

CantSleep wrote: Amazing! Thanks for the shoutout.
You are welcome. I like stuff like this :) Good thing its not a source mod! :wink:
Takuat

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.1.7 - Build Engine-styled mod

Post by Takuat »

In regards to the talk of a Mighty Foot, why not instead the Blood Punch from Eternal? Same idea but with a lil more Doom rather than imitating purely Duke. I guess the major issue would be animations in regards to 2 handed weapons
CantSleep

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.1.8 - Build Engine-styled mod

Post by CantSleep »

VERSION 0.1.8 released
  • Fixed enemies randomly dropping off and getting stuck
  • Fixed enemies teleporting forever
  • Fixed attack rate for real
  • Changed Plasma Rifle cooldown animation offsets
  • Changed speed for Lost Soul, Cacodemon and Pain Elemental
EDIT: There was a crash when the player's head hits a liquid surface. I released a hotfix.

That's the final update for this week. A content update will be on the works next weekend ;)
MentzWolf
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by MentzWolf »

Idk if anyone has said this before but I think hand grenades would be a nice callback to the pipe bombs from Duke 3D :D

Maybe they could have a random chance of replacing rockets/rocket ammo in any given level
HLRaven
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by HLRaven »

Also another suggestion i was thinking about is, what about adding alot more lines for doom guy? make him taunt his demons too (but make that optional)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

The better question is, did doomguy ever talked beside in the movie adaptation or unofficial fan contributions? :P

Or maybe we could randomize the pitch of his laugh.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thanks for the update. :)

As for the laugh, as I feared, it doesn't sound great (IMO of course). The voice sounds too young and the recording quality doesn't match anything else. I have never imagined Doomguy sounding like that. The laugh is cheesy (and doesn't feel "real") and with no variation in it, it starts sounding very mechanical and just plain weird if you gib a large number of bad guys in short succession.

Is there any way to give the barrels more dynamic contents? The green nukage doesn't really look like nukage at all - and it doesn't move/ripple/look like liquid. The barrels almost look like green vertically facing spotlights or something.
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

Here's an idea, two words, skulltag weapons
CantSleep

Post by CantSleep »

HLRaven wrote:Also another suggestion i was thinking about is, what about adding alot more lines for doom guy? make him taunt his demons too (but make that optional)
TheOldKingCole wrote:Here's an idea, two words, skulltag weapons
No :)
Enjay wrote:Thanks for the update. :)

As for the laugh, as I feared, it doesn't sound great (IMO of course). The voice sounds too young and the recording quality doesn't match anything else. I have never imagined Doomguy sounding like that. The laugh is cheesy (and doesn't feel "real") and with no variation in it, it starts sounding very mechanical and just plain weird if you gib a large number of bad guys in short succession.

Is there any way to give the barrels more dynamic contents? The green nukage doesn't really look like nukage at all - and it doesn't move/ripple/look like liquid. The barrels almost look like green vertically facing spotlights or something.
You're welcome :) I knew the laugh just wasn't good enough. I'm always open to use sound replacements; anything can be a placeholder if you think about it!

Also, are you referring to the barrel voxels? Personally I think they look okay besides the textureless liquid texture. Although I didn't find any other barrel voxels out there. This one was picked from RDVOX by GRAU.

It's hard to have a good set of voxels. The ones from Team Hellspawn, Reikall and GRAU all have their ups and downs. :)
hornbuckle0wns

Post by hornbuckle0wns »

Very fun and smooth feeling mod, it's nice to have a reason to get back into semi-vanilla. Only thing I'd say is, the absolute best thing about build games, other than level design, were explosions, imo. The rocket launcher does a great job and it feels great to slam rockets into crowds and see them explode, but rockets aren't the most common things in some mapsets. I understand you might wanna stay more vanilla, but it would be great if you in one way or another found a way to give the user more explosives, like put it as one of the alt fires, or maybe make a whole new weapon/item. Great job so far though, already played through 2 megawads with it.
kadkad14

Post by kadkad14 »

I really like your mod.

What do you think about balancing?
I am talking about polishing enemy damage/health/unique behavior, weapon usefulness, so every gun has its role etc.
If you manage to make original campaigns challenging but not frustrating with this, it would be pure gold.

Original D3D have things like ambient sounds, environmental sound/color changing.
Some enemies are able to jump, fly, use alt attacks etc.
Do you plan to add something like this?

There is a mod called Project Babel. It has some features I mentioned. Its simple but very effective.
It would be interesting to hear your opinion on it (if you have enough time).

Sorry for my bad English.
iWonder

Post by iWonder »

To all the people who are looking for a gameplay mod that adds interesting stuff, replayability and awesome experience whilst keeping the vanilla flavour:

THIS IS THE SHIT

No srsly, I've been digging through realm667, ZDoom forums, MODDB and Doomworld in search of a mod that would fulfill my wishes and desires, it doesn't get any better. This is the single-handedly the best mod I've tried in years. It brought back memories of old playing Blood, Duke 3d and shadow warrior (Fresh Supply is still daily played by me). The movement, the explosions and the vibe is just spot on, I want this to be famous, no more Brutal Doom, this is the new threshold of modding, this is the king in my book! So much potential and I really hope you keep this beauty alive and regularly updated cause you deserve a spot alongside Pillowblaster, Nash, Captain J etc.... So many little things and touches in this masterpiece that makes it well... a masterpiece

I'm aware this mod is still an early WIP and giving such high praise may backfire but I don't care, you made this dude happy

To stop sucking your dick I will provide some feedback:

1-ricochet sounds - initially it was a nice touch but it becomes annoying after a while, like you can't hear monster pain sounds from so much PIEW, PUIW,PIEUW and my suggestion is to simply make it toggleable to make both sides happy

2-Barrels do look a little weird but it's not that big of a deal

3-This is something totally up to you but have you thought of implementing some iconic weaponry from Build Engine games? The best thing I liked about Blood is chucking sticks of dynamite at baddies and watching shit fly all over the place, Duke's shotgun is the best pump-action there is, and the Nuke from SW is just another level of badassery. Making it toggleable aswell cause why not.

4. Some kind of a progression system? PB and the like have increased enemy roster which makes it more and more fun to play every old and new megawad out there

5. [censored word] but a suggestion nevertheless: xp system? like you kill demons and you get money or xp and you use it to purchase items, powerups or even weapon upgrades? This one shits on vanilla but I think if balanced right, could make it even better than it is.

You sir have an Adoring Fan now, whether you like it or not!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

CantSleep wrote:Also, are you referring to the barrel voxels? Personally I think they look okay besides the textureless liquid texture. Although I didn't find any other barrel voxels out there. This one was picked from RDVOX by GRAU.
Yes I am. Full disclosure: I'm not a fan of voxel models and think that they look worse than both sprites and mesh models - and I feel that they look particularly bad with curved shapes. They just look like they are crudely assembled with kids wooden play bricks to me.

I've tried to ignore my natural prejudice there, so I'm only commenting on what the liquid inside looks like. In the sprite version, the liquid is clearly meant to be moving and bubbling and in most mesh models, some attempt has been made to make the surface of the liquid look like the nukage pools that are found around the maps. The voxel ones, however, are just pretty featureless, un-animated green circles when you look inside the barrels.

Of course, if you're not in a position to make replacements, or can't find better ones, then I don't suppose there is much that you can do about it.

On iWonder's last couple of suggestions, my understanding is that the goal of the mod is to imagine what Doom would have been like if it had been made for the Build engine at a similar time and in a similar way to Duke. Those last couple of suggestions seem to be taking things further and introducing elements that are not consistent with that goal, but which try to make the game something more/else instead. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Not consistent with and outright detracting from - none of the Build engine games have weapons that are exactly carried over from another game (the different shotguns behave differently), and this progression/XP nonsense is a thing that began long after the Duke/Quake/Unreal glory days of the FPS.
skdursh

Post by skdursh »

Too many updatesss. Get a github. It's so much better for ongoing projects where you're going to be constantly updating things.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”