Nobody Told Me About id - We've Moved!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.1.6 - Build Engine-styled mod

Post by Matt »

Oh, so that's what "Rev" is. I think that option could be better named, like "Chaingun Wind-up: Y/N" or something.

As for the stuck monsters, I see you're doing the chase+thrust trick for smooth movement:

Code: Select all

See:
            NARA A 20;
            NARA A 0 A_BabyMetal;
            NARA AAAAAABBBBBBCCCCCC 1
            {
                A_Chase();
                A_Recoil(-0.4);
            }
            NARA D 0 A_BabyMetal;
            NARA DDDDDDEEEEEEFFFFFF 1
            {
                A_Chase();
                A_Recoil(-0.4);
            }
            Goto See + 1; 
and somehow this implementation is causing monsters to become unable to deal with any situation where they're overlapping a change in sector height - the one arachnotron in FD Map07 medium that can move can be made to be stuck just by having it walk into the depression in the middle of the floor.

Hideous Destructor uses something similar and monsters also get stuck, though I don't remember how I mitigate it besides making all the hitboxes really skinny...

EDIT: Naturally it's awfully complicated-looking and overengineered in principle.

Basically it does this:
0. If its current position is bad, just call A_Wander and skip all the other stuff.
1. Call A_Chase with the monster's usual speed.
2. Check if a valid move resulted thereby.
3. Warp the monster back to its original position.
4. If the chase call had resulted in a valid move, thrust the actor in that direction again, in an amount roughly equivalent to what the A_Chase would do if we assumed certain things about the see state.

Something involving CheckMove should be doable but that just ends up making things *way* more complicated since the A_Chase does your collision/ledge avoidance checks for you.

(And on that note... this method you're using with the really small speeds really increases the risk that a monster gets stuck, because it's only checking the area 0.1 units ahead of it.)
CantSleep

Post by CantSleep »

Takuat wrote:Quick question, why did you choose to make DoomGuy blue/purple instead of green? Just curious
This was a design choice by Kinsie to make Doomguy less out-of-place in the title and intermission screen. In-game uniform colors are untouched.
Dwailing wrote:How about a grenade slug for the regular shotty? It would be kind of like Ion Fury's shotgun which can switch between fire modes.
Will think!
Ac!d wrote:Alt-fire & item ideas
Important note: how will these items like extra missiles or akimbo appear? For example the portable medkit replaces non-secret soulspheres by default. Maybe akimbo could replace secret berserk packs?
Matt wrote:Oh, so that's what "Rev" is. I think that option could be better named, like "Chaingun Wind-up: Y/N" or something.
English is not my strong suit obviously, so I didn't find the right word for that option when I made it haha.
Matt wrote: (AI problems discussion)
EDIT: Naturally it's awfully complicated-looking and overengineered in principle.

Basically it does this:
0. If its current position is bad, just call A_Wander and skip all the other stuff.
1. Call A_Chase with the monster's usual speed.
2. Check if a valid move resulted thereby.
3. Warp the monster back to its original position.
4. If the chase call had resulted in a valid move, thrust the actor in that direction again, in an amount roughly equivalent to what the A_Chase would do if we assumed certain things about the see state.
Compicated.. hey, fine as long as it works! Do you mind if I use this as a replacement? I have a lot to do for the next update and free time is starting to go pretty low every week so it can take too long to come up with my own code. You will be credited of course.
Anyways, does this code need a very low Speed value and/or A_Recoil? I'm assuming by "thrust" you mean it already smooths it up, so probably not?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

If I minded I would not have linked it :P Please let me know of any improvements you make in the process!

The code as written presupposes the actor has a speed property similar to what you see in vanilla, and there's no A_Recoil because I originally had it set up so the monster gradually turns towards its direction of movement instead of snapping around instantly (which IIRC had other side effects so it is not currently implemented).
TheEternalStruggler

Post by TheEternalStruggler »

This is a random suggestion, but how about implementing a randomized dismemberment system? Similar to what I did for my one sub-mod I made for Dead Marine. Dead Marine: Even Deader.

I implemented a rudimentary gore system featuring two arm deaths, two leg deaths, one headshot death, and one gib death with torso parts and what-not. I also included one unique chainsaw death, usually involving the demon getting chainsawed in half with the torso being chainsawed off. I had plans to implement unique chainsaw death animations as well, so using the chainsaw would never get boring as it would be randomized chainsaw deaths.

And on that note, randomized deaths on top of this randomized dismemberment system would make the game feel like a Build Engine game in terms of gore (ala Blood), whilst also ensuring that gunplay feels more satisfying, and gameplay feels gratifying. Because IMO, the same couple of deaths gets boring after a while, and while I am aware of Glaice's RDND, it doesn't quite scratch the gory itch I feel. And no I don't want Brutal Doom or Project Brutality, the gore I have in mind is more akin to mid-90s games. Simple superficial gore that doesn't break the flow of gameplay.

Ofc I'm probably just rambling, and this probably wasn't super constructive. I just wanted to give my two cents is all. Anyway, awesome mod! I love using this with the 3DO soundtrack wad! Really makes it feel like a Build game! :D
Artman2004

Post by Artman2004 »

Can I recommend Hellbound and Doom II Reloaded?
CantSleep

Post by CantSleep »

Artman2004 wrote:Can I recommend Hellbound and Doom II Reloaded?
Will add Doom II Reloaded, as for Hellbound I'm not so sure.

For the upcoming update I've implemented a balls of steel-ton of fixes and integrated a newer version of SpriteShadows. The mod's performance should be a bit nicer.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

The article on NTMAI just went live on Realm667 by yours truly. :wink: Lets give this some extra exposure! :wub:
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Takuat wrote:Quick question, why did you choose to make DoomGuy blue/purple instead of green? Just curious
When I made the TITLEPIC and INTERPIC graphics, I kept to the original Duke3D palletes for those images. As it turns out, those palletes don't really have much in the way of good green shades so it ended up looking pretty terrible. I used blue instead since that looked a lot better and it's also the colour that typically gets remapped on most BUILD engine player sprites. So it makes sense in a warped kinda way.

ImageImageImage
Dwailing
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Dwailing »

Just a heads up, the Berserk pack isn't stopping at 2% anymore, it's stopping at 1%. XD
CantSleep

Post by CantSleep »

Redneckerz wrote:The article on NTMAI just went live on Realm667 by yours truly. :wink: Lets give this some extra exposure! :wub:
Amazing! Thanks for the shoutout.
Dwailing wrote:Just a heads up, the Berserk pack isn't stopping at 2% anymore, it's stopping at 1%. XD
Already fixed by removing yet another oversight, lol.
CantSleep

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.1.7 - Build Engine-styled mod

Post by CantSleep »

VERSION 0.1.7 released
  • Added camera tilting on death (cl_ntm_cameraTilt)
  • Added toggleable voxels (r_drawvoxels, W.I.P.)
  • Added pitch consideration to BFG 9000 recoil
  • Added updated Shotgun and Super Shotgun sprites by DenisBelmondo
  • Added optimizations
  • Added missing crouching sprites
  • Added interactive props (W.I.P.)
  • Added key pickup sound
  • Updated gore system
  • Updated shadows system
  • Updated enemy movement by Matt
  • Clearer custom sprites
  • Changed falling scream, provided by YukesVonFaust
  • Imps can now shoot fireballs during melee attacks
  • Lost Souls will now stop attacking after losing speed
  • Arch-Viles are now faster
  • Fixed Berserk Pack stopping at 1%
  • Fixed pistol reload alerting enemies
  • Fixed enemy attack rate
  • Fixed Lost Soul pain sound
  • Fixed explosion sprite flipping
  • Fixed corpses sometimes not being gibbable
  • Fixed a crash from an Arch-Vile killing a Lost Soul
  • Removed Chaingun wind-up
Biggest update so far!

EDIT: Fixed an issue where enemies could get stuck teleporting forever. Hotfix released
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

In the next update could you make it so that you have full control of movement in mid air like the build engine games?
HLRaven
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by HLRaven »

You should add jump animations for the player too
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by namsan »

Some suggestion:

Can you add bigger gibbed corpses for bigger monsters like Mancubus or Arachnotron?
Also, can you change the gibbed corpse of Cacodemon to more blue one? Since it bleeds blue blood.
CantSleep

Post by CantSleep »

TheOldKingCole wrote:In the next update could you make it so that you have full control of movement in mid air like the build engine games?
HLRaven wrote:You should add jump animations for the player too
Noted.
namsan wrote:Some suggestion:

Can you add bigger gibbed corpses for bigger monsters like Mancubus or Arachnotron?
Also, can you change the gibbed corpse of Cacodemon to more blue one? Since it bleeds blue blood.
Due to ZScript limitations (surprising, I know) there's no way to color the gibbed corpses to the monster's blood color. If I can't find a solution I'm gonna have to make a gross hack to add colored gibbed corpses. Noted

Return to “Gameplay Mods”