Walpurgis 0.96 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [0.96 RELEASE!]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Walpurgis 0.95 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [0.95 IS OUT!]

Postby eharper256 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:08 am

Enjay wrote:Does the spear actually fit on screen? It looks good but also looks like it might be taller than a typical aspect ratio screen can accommodate?

When its stood straight, the head will be off-screen indeed, but that is exactly what you would see if you were holding a spear in a non-primed stance (a longspear is 7-9 Feet tall, a pike is around 15 Feet).

The actual thrust and swings will show the head a bit more of course, given my current frames for those. Wasted artwork? Well maybe... :) I might see if I can rig up a special sway when it detects you're in the Ready state and on the move.
eharper256
Author of Hexen: Walpurgis

Postby eharper256 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:39 am

Here's another frame from the new spear; its firing a lightning projectile here:

The projectile it will fire is not 100% certain yet, though a bouncing, penetrating shockwave of sorts was the original idea for this fire mode.

So far, the frames seem to look alright in SLADE, though I guess I'll know for sure when I get to the coding!
eharper256

Postby Lagi » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:02 pm

amazing sprite!
Lagi

Postby eharper256 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:11 am

Lagi wrote:amazing sprite!

Thanks! :D
eharper256

Postby SallazarSpellcaster » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:31 pm

It does indeed look quite neat. A consideration to have is that it could have a no-mana melee thrust, similar to the Myrmidon's weapons, to give Parias a longer range alternative to his mace.

Also, it could easily be called something like "Longinus' Spear," AKA the Spear of Destiny - that'd be fitting with Parias being a holy warrior.
SallazarSpellcaster

Postby eharper256 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:14 pm

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:

It does indeed look quite neat. A consideration to have is that it could have a no-mana melee thrust, similar to the Myrmidon's weapons, to give Parias a longer range alternative to his mace.

Also, it could easily be called something like "Longinus' Spear," AKA the Spear of Destiny - that'd be fitting with Parias being a holy warrior.

Yep, the basic melee swings and thrusts are mana-free like Baratus's stuff, and its due to have the longest melee range of everything (Quietus is currently longest).

At the moment, it has the tentative title of 'The Sommersturm', (aka. Summer Storm) as a homage to 'The Sommerswerd' from the Lone Wolf gamebooks (and because its using holy thunder). Hasta-Astas (Latin "Storm Spear") was also considered to match Crux Calicus. Longinus isn't off the table though.
eharper256

Postby eharper256 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:19 am

The rumoured spear is finally here!

Keep in mind this is an early preview showing off just the primary and secondary fire (it has no tertiary fire sprites ready yet) and the secondary projectiles effect will likely change for the final release as its pretty generic right now.

So far, it feels pretty good to use, especially the melee attacks which get automatically interleaved with handy shield bashes (the logic on this still needs work, mind). It also has a handy function where the Crusader automatically lowers it when your crosshair overlaps an enemy, if its not lowered already, in order to save you attack time!
eharper256

Postby Linz » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:46 pm

Linz

Postby eharper256 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:45 pm

:( It actually does have perspective, but I guess its a bit too subtle. I'll consider adding in a couple more frames. It is the earliest rendition of it after all.
More distance... well it is already the longest distance melee weapon (180 units), but I guess I could up that about 190. Too much and it might be a bit overpowered. :)

EDIT: 3 more perspective frames to make both types of thrust more clear were added, and the range was increased to 195. :)
Last edited by eharper256 on Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
eharper256

Postby eharper256 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:22 am

New QoL feature for 0.96:

Yup, thanks to help from Blue Shadow, the inventory selector for the HUD now also gives a quick description of the item under the selection cursor!

Hopefully this sort of thing will be really helpful for newer users of the mod or those that have no idea what Hexen items do by default (as was fed back to me from some streamers doing tests). :D

There is also now an obnoxious reminder if you start a level without enabling the custom HUD, and the option to do so has been put into the main options menu at the top, as this was also tripping up testers. I guess I must be the only madman in the world that always trawls through a new games/mods options menus every time before I start playing. :P

I'll also be withdrawing the non-split bar, as it was already lagging behind on features and it can't support these messages very easily either.
eharper256

Postby rayburn » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:45 am

The spear is so awesome, hyped! I love the hoplite style with a shield too.
rayburn

Postby eharper256 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:17 am

Here's the 'upgrade' for the Druid's Baselard Tertiary fire, summoning her mystical Falcon, Turul!

This is something I've wanted to add in for some time, and finally, its made plausible with the new Boids script that makes convincing acting birds!

Turul stays active even if you change weapons, as soon as he's summoned, and will bombard enemies with pinion flurries, making him a nice use of an Azurinthine for some permanent fire support!

rayburn wrote:The spear is so awesome, hyped! I love the hoplite style with a shield too.

Thanks!

Yeah, at the moment, I am considering some proper Phanlanx charging for the Tertiary Fire since the current one is a bit meh, so that might make it in!
eharper256

Postby eharper256 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:55 am

Been a little distracted the last few days... as tends to happen when I join a Path of Exile league that I'm interested in (oops). :x

Still, I've completed the upgrades for the Dagon's Cane, and I'm now moving on to looking into the main part of the upgrades for the ultimates.

Quick question for everyone:
>> How often do people upgrade your basic [1] weapon right now when you play?
>> Do you think offering all three fire modes on the [1] getting an upgrade for one item would be a worthy change or should it stay as it is?

The reason I ask is that the Ultimate upgrades will be using 2 upgrade items a pop (for a single mode), and doing in this way will provide a mirror opposite of sorts.
Last edited by eharper256 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eharper256

Postby PresBarackbar » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:01 pm

For weapon 1 I upgrade the tertiary immediately on Daedolon. Other than that, I stick to upgrading it last when I have a surplus of upgrade items. I think that's mostly because in Doom melee isn't super useful considering every enemy has a ranged attack, so upgrading the mace or the gauntlets doesn't feel super necessary. I would definitely upgrade the tertiary on druid immediately as soon as that's available. In terms of one upgrade item upgrading all the fire modes, I don't know how necessary that is. In most Doom wads I have played I end up being able to upgrade everything I care about and still have leftover upgrade items (even when running both weapon options on mage and myrmidon). I think upgrading the fire mode of an ultimate should feel like you are making a choice to give something up in order to increase their power so if it only cost four total upgrade items to beef up your whole arsenal aside from your ult it would feel a lot less impactful.
PresBarackbar

Postby eharper256 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:01 pm

PresBarackbar wrote:For weapon 1 I upgrade the tertiary immediately on Daedolon. Other than that, I stick to upgrading it last when I have a surplus of upgrade items. I think that's mostly because in Doom melee isn't super useful considering every enemy has a ranged attack, so upgrading the mace or the gauntlets doesn't feel super necessary. I would definitely upgrade the tertiary on druid immediately as soon as that's available. In terms of one upgrade item upgrading all the fire modes, I don't know how necessary that is. In most Doom wads I have played I end up being able to upgrade everything I care about and still have leftover upgrade items (even when running both weapon options on mage and myrmidon). I think upgrading the fire mode of an ultimate should feel like you are making a choice to give something up in order to increase their power so if it only cost four total upgrade items to beef up your whole arsenal aside from your ult it would feel a lot less impactful.

Oops, I missed a rather important part in the question (edited it now). :x

The 3-in-1 deal would only apply to the [1] slot weapon; so the total saving would be just 2 upgraders.

I'm also considering altering all the added tertiary fires for the [1] to be a bit more unique for Baratus and Parias. Specifically, Baratus would get an infinite use but cooldown Javelin added to Inventory, and Parias would get the ability to create Concecrated Ground when standing still (even for a moment, after which it would persist for a short time), and then would give better defence whilst in it.
eharper256

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods