Walpurgis 0.99 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [NEW RELEASE!!!]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
eharper256

Re: Walpurgis 0.95 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [0.95 IS OUT!]

Post by eharper256 »

Not in hibernation over here, by the way. Following my usual break after a new release, I have started some of the initial coding for the next swath of upgrades.

I've done the drawing board phase of how I'm going to add in the upgrades for the ultimates, and thoughts about the code needed. So the ever-long spriting phase is next.

I've also gone back to brainstorming ideas for the Crusader's In-Slot 2 replacer. Whilst its been thought to be a spear for some time, various issues have delayed this, from making sprites that I'm happy with, to making it unique enough from other current weapons. The spear is not off the table, but I've considered possibly changing the route rather than struggling to surmount it. At the moment, a Scimitar, a Bardiche, and a Crossbow are all also being considered as well as the original plan.

This sort of thing (new weapons) are always tied to making a good set of sprites, you see, and often the spriting decides the nuances of how it operates. At least, that's how I work. Hence, since I've been unable to make a good spear, I will likely experiment at drawing the others and see what clicks.

I'm very much looking at a physical weapon here to partner with the Lightbringer. It needs to have some kind of holy, fire, or thunder attribute (since that's the Crusaders thing). If you have other ideas that meet that criteria (barring a morningstar or flail, as that overlaps with the Mace), then feel free to suggest them.
Infirnex

Post by Infirnex »

Spear or sword is what comes to mind when I think "holy (non-blunt) melee weapon." Since we have Quietus, Spear would be the nice option but if it's difficult then...yeah. Bardiche feels like a weird option. A Falchion or Scimitar could be fine. If we accept blunt, there's still a War Hammer or Pole Hammer. Greatsword could also be an option.

I've noticed a bug where Elite Gargoyle corpses seem to have collision? It's weird and it almost softlocked E1M1 before since it died right in front of the key room. If you have a step you can walk over it perfectly fine however.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Infirnex wrote:Spear or sword is what comes to mind when I think "holy (non-blunt) melee weapon." Since we have Quietus, Spear would be the nice option but if it's difficult then...yeah. Bardiche feels like a weird option. A Falchion or Scimitar could be fine. If we accept blunt, there's still a War Hammer or Pole Hammer. Greatsword could also be an option.

I've noticed a bug where Elite Gargoyle corpses seem to have collision? It's weird and it almost softlocked E1M1 before since it died right in front of the key room. If you have a step you can walk over it perfectly fine however.
I looked at Stygian Imp's code and yes, if he dies in a certain way, he fails to call A_NoBlocking, so yep, that's a bug. I've fixed that, and Thanks for reporting it! :)

If you do have further issues with him you might be able to jump over them (and the map is not banning jumps). Failing that, you would indeed have to noclip briefly. I guess this one slipped through my testing since Imps usually don't die in tight spaces with their jet-like mobility, but there's always a time and a place for everything. :)

Spear's main issue is that its tough to animate from first person and make it look good as a sprite. Its already got a sort of okay couple of frames for a swing; its just it doesn't feel quite right. It might be that I just start it from scratch and it turns out fine.
rayburn

Post by rayburn »

Just finished elemental system tonight, looked through the code of major fantasy mods for each damagetype I could find and put them all together into a cohesive system, will now have to think how to best communicate it to player. Needless to say, experience varies greatly with class/enemy faction combinations. Damage factors are x0.5 for same element, and x2.0 for counter-element for that extra crit feel.

It looks and plays so good with Walpurgis! And I don't think I will need a separate-file compatibility patch. You asked if you can pin a video previously, here is one. Balance, a lot of attacks, states and etc is still not done, but it's going smoothly.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

rayburn wrote:Just finished elemental system tonight, looked through the code of major fantasy mods for each damagetype I could find and put them all together into a cohesive system, will now have to think how to best communicate it to player. Needless to say, experience varies greatly with class/enemy faction combinations. Damage factors are x0.5 for same element, and x2.0 for counter-element for that extra crit feel.

It looks and plays so good with Walpurgis! And I don't think I will need a separate-file compatibility patch. You asked if you can pin a video previously, here is one. Balance, a lot of attacks, states and etc is still not done, but it's going smoothly
Pretty cool! I'll add it shortly.

EDIT: Except apparently I can't, I now can't edit my OP as it goes about "dimensions of the image cannot be determined". Which is crazy since I'm not editing any images at all.
Infirnex

Post by Infirnex »

There's also this quirk with the Lightbringer beam:
Spoiler:
It seems when upgraded, the Lightbringer tries to use it's own, weaker bounce instead of the stronger prism version.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Infirnex wrote:There's also this quirk with the Lightbringer beam:
Spoiler:
It seems when upgraded, the Lightbringer tries to use it's own, weaker bounce instead of the stronger prism version.
Yep, I'm aware of this one, but its a pain in the butt to fix due to how the prism and the beam interact.

Technically the beam lets out an invisible puff at the end of its reach, and this checks if there's a prism in the close vicinity, and if there is, it passes it a counter item that causes the prism to acquire a nearby target and fire. However, when the upgraded beam bounces, it often bounces in such a way as to prevent the puff from spawning (as there's no space, and this happens even if the puff is noclip) and hence the prism doesn't activate. I'll probably figure it out eventually, or maybe change that upgrade if I can't. :)
Infirnex

Post by Infirnex »

eharper256 wrote:...or maybe change that upgrade if I can't. :)

The bouncing kinda seems superficial tbh, with the prism existing you can bounce it around anyway.
Just throwing potential ideas: maybe have it be a ripper projectile for upgrade? Maybe enemies that die to it explode in light? Maybe have it heal on damaging allies ala the Serpent Staff from base?
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Infirnex wrote:
eharper256 wrote:...or maybe change that upgrade if I can't. :)

The bouncing kinda seems superficial tbh, with the prism existing you can bounce it around anyway.
Just throwing potential ideas: maybe have it be a ripper projectile for upgrade? Maybe enemies that die to it explode in light? Maybe have it heal on damaging allies ala the Serpent Staff from base?
The current bouncing upgrade is there because it mimics the effect of the original Lightbringer (from Hexen II) on which this one is based, when it got a Tome of Power (though that one bounces about six times, since it ~is~ the ultimate weapon there!). So its a homage of sorts.

As you say, the Prism does somewhat obsolete it to an extent, BUT the Prism is paying an extra wad of mana upfront for the priviledge, whereas the bounce, when the upgrade is applied, is permanent.

That said, I will likely look at making it more interesting in 0.96 (it's one of a few that's on the list to be considered for revisions); this one was one of the first upgrades that made it in way back, and I've gotten much better at programming since then, so I'll think of something. The current thought is actually a double fork that occurs after hitting the target, allowing it to hit enemies behind, and on interaction with the Prism, actually making triple beams or a ricochet beam.

With how often the beam actually hits, healing would be out unfortunately. Ripping maybe, but its pretty boring and making it too much like Fulgurs Primary. The explode into a light explosion... funny you mention that idea; this was one of the ideas earmarked for use with the Spear Tertiary (a spectral spear dropping from the sky, and if it kills, launching Holy Bolts out).
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

eharper256 wrote: EDIT: Except apparently I can't, I now can't edit my OP as it goes about "dimensions of the image cannot be determined". Which is crazy since I'm not editing any images at all.
I have disabled image verification - for now. I think everyone gets it when it comes to the rules. :)
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Rachael wrote:
eharper256 wrote: EDIT: Except apparently I can't, I now can't edit my OP as it goes about "dimensions of the image cannot be determined". Which is crazy since I'm not editing any images at all.
I have disabled image verification - for now. I think everyone gets it when it comes to the rules. :)
Okay thanks Rachel; I figured something must have changed about how the img tags work, since I hadn't actually changed any images and suddenly they're rejected for no reason.

OP is now updated! :D
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Here's a new wad by BRI, Elysium's Curse. I enjoyed their previous work, Vow of Vengeance (you can see a Crusader video of that one on my channel), so this one was a quick pick up and play for me! This one is using the lovely heaven-ish tileset from OTEX, one of my favourites, but one I never got to see in Evilternity as those levels are way too tough for me!

You can get this wad here: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... mbf21-wad/
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Big Thanks to Azerty over at Doomworld for covering Walpurgis!

I reply to their in-video comments here, if you're interested.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Finally managed to make a spear sprite that doesn't make me angry at how terrible it is (lol). So perhaps we might still be set for the spear on the Crusader's in-slot 2 alternative after all!

What do you all think of this one?

Hands probably still need work (the ever-fun sausage fingers) and maybe some shading changes but its a step in the right direction at least.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Does the spear actually fit on screen? It looks good but also looks like it might be taller than a typical aspect ratio screen can accommodate?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”