Walpurgis 0.94A (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [0.94A Release!]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Walpurgis 0.94A (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [0.94A Release!

Postby eharper256 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:15 am

Yep, at least there was that.
eharper256
Author of Hexen: Walpurgis

Postby eharper256 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:49 am

Well, fingers back at a level where I can use it without screeching like a little girl now, so long as I don't put too much pressure on it, so we're back in business.

Quick question for everyone: Do you think there should be Elite versions of bosses?

I'm currently sitting at 'probably not' since many Doom levels that get you to face Spidey or Cybie build around their standard abilities. Same with Iron Liches/Maulotaurs and Wyverns/Hierscarch in Heretic/Hexen. But if you have other thoughts on the matter, let me know!
eharper256

Postby eharper256 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:03 am

Just in time for National Explosions Day (aka. Bonfire Night in the UK), here's a video of the new fiery deaths that are due to be added for the upcoming 0.95 version of Walpurgis!

They probably need a few more tweaks, but are looking pretty decent right now. Let me know what you think!

The now rather old Playing With Firestorm video was the ideal candidate for a a second take to show off the changes between versions (which is quite alot!).
eharper256

Postby Lagi » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:51 pm

fire could be more transparent, because i cannot enjoy the burn death animations to full extent.
Lagi

Postby eharper256 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:28 am

Lagi wrote:fire could be more transparent, because i cannot enjoy the burn death animations to full extent.

You crazy pyro, Lagi. :shock:

Still, yeah I have been thinking a few times that Firestorm can get in the way a bit recently so I might well make it about 10% more transparent.
eharper256

Postby Deon » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:50 pm

Hey Eharper! Are you planning to let other modders use your burn death states, or are they Valpurgis-exclusive? I am asking for myself, as I am working on total conversion and I am trying to make unique death states for each damage type, so I am interested in humanlike burning states (which I have a lot), and I am not an artist :). But if you want to keep it exclusive, I can understand. They are looking crispy awesome!
Deon

Postby eharper256 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:30 am

Deon wrote:Hey Eharper! Are you planning to let other modders use your burn death states, or are they Valpurgis-exclusive? I am asking for myself, as I am working on total conversion and I am trying to make unique death states for each damage type, so I am interested in humanlike burning states (which I have a lot), and I am not an artist :). But if you want to keep it exclusive, I can understand. They are looking crispy awesome!

I originally started an art topic in the resources forum but absolutely no-one replied to it, lol, and there's not been much interest recently so I never kept it up to date.

But much like my Freeze states, people are welcome to use them as long as they credit me and Walpurgis as their source. A couple of my frames from Doom are actually using Project Brutality's (notably a couple of the Mancubus and Baron burning frames because they're just very good and I couldn't do better). :)
eharper256

Postby eharper256 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:49 pm

New video!

(why does it take so long for Youtube to do the HD processing these days?) :x

Anyways, this pretty cool looking WAD is by "Wilster_Wonkels" so references to the works of Mr. Dahl are inevitable. XD

Also gives a chance to see more of the flaming deaths courtesy of the Ichival, and some of the recent updates to the Cyberdemon that are coming as part of this patch. As you might notice, his rockets have been given a big makeover. But not just visually; they now blast you away as well as a big exploding rocket should!

You can get this wad here: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... vels-done/
eharper256

Postby eharper256 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:23 pm

Yep, here's another new video, check it out!

I've finally switched on the spawners for some of the new elites that I'm happy with and which are complete; notably the Hell Chevalier, the Hellion Pinky, and the Special Forces Zombie. If you're paying attention, you might notice some other sneaky little improvements to look forwards to in 0.95 as well.

This Map is "Amalgamation 2: Cairo AD" by mrthejoshmon. Not the full map is shown, I cover about 1/2 of it because its pretty long!

It's actually meant to use the TNT wad for textures, so my WadSmoosh does miss a couple that end up looking weird here; not the mappers fault.

My old smooth liquids mod also apparently needs an update, as the waterfalls are messed up (which was the case in the last video as well, le sigh).

Get it here:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... layer-tnt/
eharper256

Postby eharper256 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:03 pm

Before I forget: quick status update as well: should be looking at the end of the month or maybe the start of December for the next release of 0.95 (those who have watched Walp for a while now notice that videos tend to come out more frequently towards the tail end of the dev-cycle so may not be surprised, lol).

Quick question: After this monster focused patch, what would you guys prefer I look into prioritising? At the moment, the plan A is to segway back into making the Crusaders Alternate Slot-2 weapon and more upgrades.

But there are other options too: B) Look into alternative inventory items (usables and permanent rings/amulets are things I'm playing with as ideas). And C) Doing upgrade graphics (i.e. changing the weapon sprites when you apply an upgrade, which is a big task).
eharper256

Postby PresBarackbar » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:58 pm

Personally I'd prefer if all the planned upgrades get implemented. The other stuff is nice but I feel like once all the upgrades are finished the mod will feel more complete.
PresBarackbar

Postby eharper256 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:17 am

PresBarackbar wrote:Personally I'd prefer if all the planned upgrades get implemented. The other stuff is nice but I feel like once all the upgrades are finished the mod will feel more complete.

Yep, that was the plan.

I might be able to squeeze in an upgrade in this patch, not 100% sure.
eharper256

Postby eharper256 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:35 am

New video, two levels testing some of the new Heretic monsters and effects that are coming in 0.95 Walpurgis.

Lots of projectiles got makeovers, you'll see some burning deaths, and a few new cast members show up too! Lots of changes; see if you can spot them all! :)

Two levels get featured here. The first part with the Myrmidon is Map 7 of the Twenty Heretics Community Project. The second part with the Magister is Map 1 of the Curse of D'Sparil by Kristus. They can be found at the below links:
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... orts/curse
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... orts/20hcc
eharper256

Postby eharper256 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:59 am

Here's something I whipped up over the weekend!
Yup, it's time for class-unique status bar decorations! :D

I believe one of the sticking points for people using the old-style Hexen bar before was the cool Gargoyles it had, whereas the new Walpurgis unique split-bar was strictly utilitarian. This little update is going towards rectifying that a little bit. There are also some other general touch-ups, like the mana bars being little vials now. I think it looks pretty neat! What about yourself?
eharper256

Postby PresBarackbar » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:53 pm

Oh that looks terrific!
PresBarackbar

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods