Walpurgis 0.99 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [NEW RELEASE!!!]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
eharper256

Re: Walpurgis 0.94A (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [0.94A Release!

Post by eharper256 »

Deon wrote:Hi, I must be doing something dumb, as I get an error about DECORATE FALL DAMAGE flag.

Script error, "+Walpurgis-JT-0.94A.pk3:actors/monstersmain.txt" line 1139:
"FALLDAMAGE" is an unknown flag

Script error, "+Walpurgis-JT-0.94A.pk3:actors/monstersheretic.txt" line 175:
"FALLDAMAGE" is an unknown flag
Hm, I can't see any issues myself with it; works fine in GZDoom's from 4.5 up to 4.7 (had to doublecheck to make sure 4.7 hadn't suddenly obsoleted the flag or something since I was running 4.6 still myself). I can't guarantee LZDoom compatibility if you're using that, or a mobile port. Though since its level dependent anyway, I might just remove that flag anyway in future versions; its basically only there to make sure Doom monsters take the correct damage from the Crux Calicus Vortex.
Any other details you can give me?
Sartana wrote:Are you taking suggestions for future class features, or do you already have it pretty much set in stone? I have a couple of upgrade ideas for the Druid. Great mod, by the way.
No please go ahead. :) I've often implemented user suggestions in the past where they make sense, match the Walpurgis goals, and are feasible to code.
Deon

Post by Deon »

Thank you eharper256, upgrading GZdoom fixed it. 4.4 apparently couldn't run it.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Deon wrote:Thank you eharper256, upgrading GZdoom fixed it. 4.4 apparently couldn't run it.
Jolly good. :)

Yeah there were some sweeping changes in 4.5 if I recall. Keeping up with the Joneses is basically required with GZDoom as the base code changes quite often, in sometimes strange and surprising ways. Though I'm more of a 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' kind of guy myself, at least it keeps us on our toes I suppose. :lol:
Sartana

Post by Sartana »

OK, great! Well, I haven't played around enough with the coral staff to really form opinions on that, but I did have an idea for an upgraded alt-fire for the baselard. Give the player the ability to charge the throw. After about a second, maybe two, of charging, throwing it would make the projectile not arc, and inflict a bit more damage (maybe 25% more? This needs testing, so I couldn't say).
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Sartana wrote:OK, great! Well, I haven't played around enough with the coral staff to really form opinions on that, but I did have an idea for an upgraded alt-fire for the baselard. Give the player the ability to charge the throw. After about a second, maybe two, of charging, throwing it would make the projectile not arc, and inflict a bit more damage (maybe 25% more? This needs testing, so I couldn't say).
Yeah that could work. I honestly keep forgetting I've not done the Baselard. :lol:

The only note I have on the secondary upgrade right now is literally two words: "Knife Fan??" in my dev text document, which I initially rejected because it was basically x3 power, but of course the easy solution to that would be just adding in a few "charging frames" to grasp extra baselards. Having a straight trajectory is a nice idea as well though; it would be a fairly clear upgrade in that case (especially since that would naturally change the bouncing trajectory to a more pinball-esq. effect)
Inconspicuousduck

Post by Inconspicuousduck »

I think the magister is trying to learn shapeshifting from the druid, although the first attempt didn't go so well... (seriously though, you should keep this in the game)

-(it's possible to kill yourself if you do the same thing but with aestus's primary fire, the reflected fireballs will hurt you, so you might want to add the "no blast tag" to them)
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Inconspicuousduck wrote:I think the magister is trying to learn shapeshifting from the druid, although the first attempt didn't go so well... (seriously though, you should keep this in the game)

-(it's possible to kill yourself if you do the same thing but with aestus's primary fire, the reflected fireballs will hurt you, so you might want to add the "no blast tag" to them)
Heh; yep its entirely possible to hit yourself with Morph Ovums and Porkulators in some weird circumstances; this is actually default game behaviour (or a default easter egg, if you like haha) and there are a handful of levels that are aware of it and use it for secrets (in fact I recall one weird Hexen map I played where it was required for progression once, with a key inside a hole small enough for a piglet only to access it lol). Obviously, hitting things with a Repulsion disc usually flips their alligeance, and Time Stop gives you the time (heh) to do that.

So congrats on making that combo. :) And yeah, don't worry, I won't be removing that. :)

And yeah, if you're using repulsion discs in Time-Stop, that's niche enough to not count as a bug in my opinion.

Also, I see you voted, so thanks for that!
Sartana

Post by Sartana »

My suggestion for upgrading the primary fire would be to somehow emphasize their poison effect. It's a cool and unique mechanic, but very understated as it is now. Longer duration AND higher damage, I'd say, and leave the alt-fire's poison as it already is now, so the player is rewarded for rushing in on melee. On a related note, it'd be cool if there was an accompanying visual effect for poisoned enemies. A subtle greenish overlay would be fine, really.

If enhancing the poison doesn't feel like quite enough, maybe the upgrade could also increase the weapon's speed or damage. I personally wouldn't do both, though.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Sartana wrote:My suggestion for upgrading the primary fire would be to somehow emphasize their poison effect. It's a cool and unique mechanic, but very understated as it is now. Longer duration AND higher damage, I'd say, and leave the alt-fire's poison as it already is now, so the player is rewarded for rushing in on melee. On a related note, it'd be cool if there was an accompanying visual effect for poisoned enemies. A subtle greenish overlay would be fine, really.

If enhancing the poison doesn't feel like quite enough, maybe the upgrade could also increase the weapon's speed or damage. I personally wouldn't do both, though.
Yep, that was one of the ideas for the primary, the other being dual-wield. As you say, more poison increases the hit-and-run feel of the baselard melee though, so its got pretty good chances of making it. :)
Sartana

Post by Sartana »

My first thought actually was dual-wielding. But I thought that would tread on the toes of Baratus and his paired swords, so I went with the other one.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Sartana wrote:My first thought actually was dual-wielding. But I thought that would tread on the toes of Baratus and his paired swords, so I went with the other one.
Yes indeed, its better to emphasise the more unique poisonous hit-and-run quality. :)
Sartana

Post by Sartana »

You're really receptive to ideas! That's a really great quality for a dev to have. I might as well throw out my next idea, then. For the baselard's reload-fire attack, Corvus. My thinking is, he operates basically as he is for now - As a kind of independent "turret" shooting at nearby enemies from the player's shoulder. However, pressing the Reload key would send him out, where he would autonomously attack enemies, flying into them like a Lost Soul. He'd be offensively weak in this form, but he'd draw enemy attacks. Pressing reload again would call him back to the player to act as a turret.

I wouldn't make him capable of dying, but instead incur some kind of penalty for letting him take too much damage. Maybe if he loses too much health, he can't act in either form for a little cooldown? 15 seconds or so? Not too punishing, but enough to encourage the player to call him back, and let him regen health while in "turret" form.
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

Will there be upgrades to 4-slot weapons?
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Sartana wrote:You're really receptive to ideas! That's a really great quality for a dev to have. I might as well throw out my next idea, then. For the baselard's reload-fire attack, Corvus. My thinking is, he operates basically as he is for now - As a kind of independent "turret" shooting at nearby enemies from the player's shoulder. However, pressing the Reload key would send him out, where he would autonomously attack enemies, flying into them like a Lost Soul. He'd be offensively weak in this form, but he'd draw enemy attacks. Pressing reload again would call him back to the player to act as a turret.

I wouldn't make him capable of dying, but instead incur some kind of penalty for letting him take too much damage. Maybe if he loses too much health, he can't act in either form for a little cooldown? 15 seconds or so? Not too punishing, but enough to encourage the player to call him back, and let him regen health while in "turret" form.
Heh, I've said that he technically doesn't exist at the moment because I wasn't happy with that upgrade, and you're the first one to comment about it, haha.

At the moment its more an automated drone, coding wise, so to give it lost soul type behaviours would be alot more code, but I'll think about it.
Sinael wrote:Will there be upgrades to 4-slot weapons?
Yes, they will cost double the upgrade items, and I'm not sure when I'll do them, but yes.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

This weeks progress: doing all the "Burning to death" animations for enemies from all three games.

Long overdue, really, but a suitable thing to be adding on this monster focused update, eh? :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”