Walpurgis 0.94A (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [0.94A Release!]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Walpurgis 0.94 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [NEW! 0.94 RELEA

Postby Inconspicuousduck » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:16 am

Hello, Duck back again with some more bugs to report, because I just love to break things!

As before, don't know which are known or not, but couldn't find them on the form, so I'll put them here:
(tested in doom2 with latest gz doom, no other mods loaded)

- Using the fetish of a Maulotaur in an area too small to spawn it will drop your class's current upgrade item, instead of dropping the fetish to the ground.

- using a disc of repulsion while charging/holding Algor's secondary scatters the shots when released, i'm guessing their trajectory is set when created, and the disc effects it through its "stasis".

- using the Dagon's Cane secondary without enough mana to do so defaults to the primary fire, as normal, but if the alt fire is held down it will continue to fire the primary, even if completely out of mana.
(shot video showing this: )

-it is possible to use Agnus's and Crux Calicus's primary fires while completely out of one mana type or the other. Like the previous bug, if the secondary is held without enough of both mana types, the primary is fired instead, but if one mana runs out it will continue to fire until the other runs out.
(short video showing it: )
Inconspicuousduck

Postby eharper256 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:46 am

HOLY BUG REPORTS BATMAN
Inconspicuousduck wrote:Hello, Duck back again with some more bugs to report, because I just love to break things!

Thanks, I'll look into all of these. All of these are minor and pretty entertaining but I should squash them. :)

Inconspicuousduck wrote:- Using the fetish of a Maulotaur in an area too small to spawn it will drop your class's current upgrade item, instead of dropping the fetish to the ground.

Haha, yeah I discovered this one myself a few days ago. Maulotaur doesn't drop too much these days because he's very hard to use in alot of levels, so he'll be going away entirely soon. So he's also not had too much testing either, and this weird logic loop happens.

Inconspicuousduck wrote:- using a disc of repulsion while charging/holding Algor's secondary scatters the shots when released, i'm guessing their trajectory is set when created, and the disc effects it through its "stasis".

Heh, I wouldn't have thought to try something like that. It is indeed set when created and holds position relative to the player from then on; anything else will make the code break. But I'll give them the DONTBLAST flag to prevent it.

Inconspicuousduck wrote:- using the Dagon's Cane secondary without enough mana to do so defaults to the primary fire, as normal, but if the alt fire is held down it will continue to fire the primary, even if completely out of mana.
-it is possible to use Agnus's and Crux Calicus's primary fires while completely out of one mana type or the other. Like the previous bug, if the secondary is held without enough of both mana types, the primary is fired instead, but if one mana runs out it will continue to fire until the other runs out.:

Blasted ammo loops and fire mode switches are always catching me out. For seamless activity, they have to jump to a certain state, but in so doing, will also skip the part which checks their ammo. I fix one of these basically every other version lol.

Sinael wrote:Magister's Vis reload attack does not function in places with low ceilings. Enemies get bumped up, but the attack does not proceed further than that - enemies are not encased in a bubble or crushed, resulting in miniscule damage.

Yep, aware of that and the rise on the bubble is actually intentional. Without it, it can gib other close by foes too easily. So this probably won't get changed; its meant as a super-powerful but super-niche attack in any case.

Sinael wrote:IMO Algor Secondary upgrade feels more like a downgrade, since the fire mode comes with very high delay between cast+aim and actual impact of the projectile which makes it rather unweildy (it is bettwr when you can pre-charge the attack as without upgrade), and the burst damage potential/niche is gone.

I've had others say this. The upgrade is more of a sidegrade in this case; it effectively turns Algor's spears into a minigun, with spin-up, and changes its function from mid-distance burst damage to mid-distance crowd control. I actually love this upgrade, because often its hard to charge a full burst on the spears. It was also made before Aestus existed and was basically the best way to get this kind of damage reliably for the Magister.

Sinael wrote:The Torch artifact no longer works if you dont have dynamic lights on - I think it should be possible to check dynamic lights CVARs through ACS function (combine with another CVAR check for hardware/software mode since those got separated) and activate either classic or dynamic version depending on player settings.

Yeah, it won't, of course, as it is a dynamic light (which was requested in the past!).
eharper256
Author of Hexen: Walpurgis

Postby Colerx » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:45 am

eharper256 wrote:Might still be a bit weird, but let me know how it turns out. As I say, especially interested to see if the weapon spawners now work right.

at first try those issues with weapons I noticed first time now seem disappeared! really great job, however it needs further testing. I'll meet up with a friend soon and will start a campaign :)
PS: just for info I use GZdoom for coop as well, not Zandronum
Thank you!
Colerx

Postby eharper256 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:22 am

Colerx wrote:at first try those issues with weapons I noticed first time now seem disappeared! really great job, however it needs further testing. I'll meet up with a friend soon and will start a campaign :)
PS: just for info I use GZdoom for coop as well, not Zandronum
Thank you!

Sweet. :) The Blue and Green and Ultimate weapon spawners all use different methods, so I expect at least one of them to not work right now. If you can't get one to drop, use the give console command. The weapon names are:
Code: Select allExpand view
Crusader: Lightbringer / FirestormFont / CruxCalicus
Myrm: VorpalAxe / Gladius / HammerofR / QuietusX
Magister: Algor / Aestus / Fulgur / Agnus
Druid: DogMode / DagonsCane / Hebiko / Ichival

And yeah, Walp would flat out not work in Zandro, since there are parts of the mod that use new ZDoom features and ZScript.

---------------------------

Also, its time for the usual obnoxious reminder I throw out every couple of months: If you like Walp, please spend a few moments giving it a couple of points (along with your other favourites!) in m8f's Top Community Works List. Higher ranking means more visibility (even if I'll never get to the top 10, lol). Thanks! :)
eharper256

Postby Colerx » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:54 am

^^ Thanks for the tip!

Btw, apart from coop, the first problem I encountered which came with this WAD "Penumbra" I wanted to try, https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... -released/
In map2 "The Abandoned City" picking up the slot 2 weapon in the chapel should like activate a trigger which unlocks the next area. unfortunately playing with Walpurgis, so picking up a different weapon from vanilla I think, seems not working. (tested with Myrm).

However it plays very well :wub:

PS: are you planning to include werewolf form sprites of the druid? Maybe the "Beast" boss from Blood could be a nice one in case :D
Colerx

Postby eharper256 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:38 am

Colerx wrote:Btw, apart from coop, the first problem I encountered which came with this WAD "Penumbra" I wanted to try, https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... -released/
In map2 "The Abandoned City" picking up the slot 2 weapon in the chapel should like activate a trigger which unlocks the next area. unfortunately playing with Walpurgis, so picking up a different weapon from vanilla I think, seems not working. (tested with Myrm).

PS: are you planning to include werewolf form sprites of the druid? Maybe the "Beast" boss from Blood could be a nice one in case :D

Dangnabbit, I thought I'd cleared up tid inheritance problems; but you're right, Penumbra malfunctions again on weapon pickups. I've just fixed that in my dev version. I honestly might release a hotfix at the weekend to combat all these little bugs that have been raised since there's quite a few more than normally sneak into a release.

Heh, it wasn't a big priority to include the werewolf sprites because you'll only notice if you play with chase camera on (which no-one does) or have a mirror portal on a given map. But yeah, I might re-colour that blood plasma pack wolf indeed.
eharper256

Postby Colerx » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:45 am

eharper256 you are great! Thank you very much for your suppprt and work!
Colerx

Postby eharper256 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:40 am

Colerx wrote:eharper256 you are great! Thank you very much for your suppprt and work!

No problem dude. Glad you enjoy it. :)

New video, playing as the Crusader in Vow of Vengeance by BRI

We get to see all of the slot 2, 3, and 4 weapons in action in a single level which is pretty neat. Its a nice set of levels from what I've played so far.

You can check this set out here:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... vengeance/
eharper256

Re: Walpurgis 0.94A (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [NEW! 0.94 RELE

Postby eharper256 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:59 am

As I mentioned; here's a bug-fix release. All the links are updated with this one. Not absolutely essential to download, but who doesn't want bug fixes?

GET IT NOW HERE AT MEGA!! (Version 0.94A)
-----------------------------------------------
GoogleDrive Mirror! (Version 0.94A)

Code: Select allExpand view
 [0.94A]
'The Only Good Bug'
--------------------
25/09/2021
Is a dead bug. This mini-update quashes a wad of minor issues that have been
reported to me about 0.94 along with a couple of balance tweaks.

+Tweak:   Doom Mancubus given better looking projectiles with flame trail.
+Tweak:   Vrock made slightly less deadly in melee range (it could simultaneously
      slash and deliver a wind blade shotgun for about 70 damage!)
+Tweak:   Aestus Molten Stone damage tweaked (30% more on direct impact, but 40%
      less damage over time from flames). Due to this, its more dangerous to
      you if you detonate it in your own face!
+Tweak:   Aestus Flamewhip bomblets damage increased by 20%.
+Tweak:   Maulotaurs summoned from artifacts are now smaller and blue (lol)
      so that they can be summoned in smaller spaces to be more useful and can
      be differenciated from their breathrens in Heretic.
+Fixed:   Fulgur should no longer cause you to mysteriously bleed if you walk into
      the primary fire (though it didn't do damage before anyway).
+Fixed:   Levels with ResetInventory set in ZMAPINFO should no longer mess up
      various Walpurgis weapons (i.e. Your shield/grappling hook dissappearing).
+Fixed:   Fixed an issue with some weapon spawners not inheriting the flags
      and TID a map may have given them.
+Fixed:   Your own Algor Ice Spears could be blasted away and out of sync by you
      using a Repulsion disc whilst you were charging them up. Fixed.
+Fixed:   Agnus could sometimes work briefly without Verdant Mana if you held
      down the alt-fire button and had Aether Mana (and vice versa). Fixed.
+Fixed:   Setting things on fire made to not generate blood-splatters, because
      it was always a bit weird before like that.
+Fixed:   Lightbringer Prism Upgrade (Tertiary) said it cost less mana but it didn't
      due to a missing bit of code. It now costs 12 (20% less) as it should.

I also played all the way through Penumbra to make sure it was co-operating (lol), and it seemed to be fine except the Wyvern on one of the levels acted a bit strange and got caught in a wall for some reason constantly screaming. :shock:

EDIT: Dangnabbit! The 7zip somehow contained a broken dev version. If you managed to get this in the first 25 mins, sorry you'll have get it again. :x
eharper256

Re: Walpurgis 0.94A (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [0.94A Bugfixes

Postby Colerx » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:36 am

Many thanks! much appreciated!!
Colerx

Re: Walpurgis 0.94A (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [0.94A Bugfixes

Postby eharper256 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:13 am

Colerx wrote:Many thanks! much appreciated!!

You're welcome.
eharper256

Postby ClessxAlghazanth » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:42 am

eharper256 wrote:As I mentioned; here's a bug-fix release. All the links are updated with this one. Not absolutely essential to download, but who doesn't want bug fixes?

Hooray for the new release and all the squished bugs :P

Will give it a run shortly :P

(voted for it in the top community works few days ago :wink: )
ClessxAlghazanth

Postby eharper256 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:35 am

ClessxAlghazanth wrote:Hooray for the new release and all the squished bugs :P

Will give it a run shortly :P

(voted for it in the top community works few days ago :wink: )

Hooray indeed!

And yes, thanks very much for voting; it pushed Walp up to #36 from #39 as you can see (these votes really do make a difference!) :P
eharper256

Re: Walpurgis 0.94A (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [0.94A Release!

Postby Deon » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:02 pm

Hi, I must be doing something dumb, as I get an error about DECORATE FALL DAMAGE flag.

Script error, "+Walpurgis-JT-0.94A.pk3:actors/monstersmain.txt" line 1139:
"FALLDAMAGE" is an unknown flag

Script error, "+Walpurgis-JT-0.94A.pk3:actors/monstersheretic.txt" line 175:
"FALLDAMAGE" is an unknown flag
Deon

Re: Walpurgis 0.94A (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [0.94A Release!

Postby Sartana » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:44 pm

Are you taking suggestions for future class features, or do you already have it pretty much set in stone? I have a couple of upgrade ideas for the Druid. Great mod, by the way.
Sartana

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods